PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Name Kelly Guard New Goaltending Coach

Wildeyes
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
The Prince Albert Raiders have named Kelly Guard as their Goaltending Coach for the 2012-2013 season.

Guard spent 2 seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Kelowna Rockets, where he won the WHL Championship in 2003 and Memorial Cup in 2004. During the 2004 Memorial Cup, the Prince Albert native set a Canadian Hockey League record for lowest goals against average, surrendering 0.75 goals per game en route to being named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

Following his WHL career, where he finished with a WHL record 1.75 goals against average in 115 games played, Guard moved on to professional hockey, spending a season in the East Coast Hockey League before appearing in 93 games for the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League.

“I feel very fortunate to be given this opportunity to work with the Raiders,” said Kelly Guard on being named the Raiders new Goaltending Coach. “I am very excited to see the talent they have coming in to compete for the team in the 2012-2013 season. My main goal this year is to lower the team’s goals against average and develop consistency with our netminders.”

lordstanley
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/05/30/ban-for-slashing-official?utm_source=addThis&utm_medium=addthis_button_twitter&utm_campaign=Ban+for+slashing+official+|+Hockey+|+ Sports+|+Winnipeg+Sun#.T8eCyFyPS10.twitter

chalk_one_up
05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/05/30/ban-for-slashing-official?utm_source=addThis&utm_medium=addthis_button_twitter&utm_campaign=Ban+for+slashing+official+|+Hockey+|+ Sports+|+Winnipeg+Sun#.T8eCyFyPS10.twitter

Headcase, worse than Penner.

Wapitikev
05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Niiiiiiiiice.

Could end his career.

Hope he can get his shnike together by the time he's 17 (2 years).

...and way to hijack the thread, Stan.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Headcase, worse than Penner.
At least he wasn't 1st overall. Will probably still turn out better than Penner.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
The Prince Albert Raiders have named Kelly Guard as their Goaltending Coach for the 2012-2013 season.

Guard spent 2 seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Kelowna Rockets, where he won the WHL Championship in 2003 and Memorial Cup in 2004. During the 2004 Memorial Cup, the Prince Albert native set a Canadian Hockey League record for lowest goals against average, surrendering 0.75 goals per game en route to being named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

Following his WHL career, where he finished with a WHL record 1.75 goals against average in 115 games played, Guard moved on to professional hockey, spending a season in the East Coast Hockey League before appearing in 93 games for the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League.

“I feel very fortunate to be given this opportunity to work with the Raiders,” said Kelly Guard on being named the Raiders new Goaltending Coach. “I am very excited to see the talent they have coming in to compete for the team in the 2012-2013 season. My main goal this year is to lower the team’s goals against average and develop consistency with our netminders.”

Great to have Guard on board...a young, PA guy who won a memorial cup but also knows what it is like to be the best goalie on a horrible team (Binghamton, Ottawa's farm club, finished last in the league in 06/07, 23 points worse than the season before when Guard was also the starter).

A Gen-Y role model could be just what Siemens, Holo, Zentner and Parenteau need at this stage.

With all due respect to the previous goalie advisor, his advice wasn't getting it done last year.

The positive progress continues. Good move Mr. Campese.

-Wapitikev

the voice
06-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Add to that Coach Leonard, who I hope brings an offensive view to the team. I found that maybe we could have pushed some of the boys to score more last year based on the offensive talent they showed in their last midget seasons. I look for that offense to kick in and for the d end to keep improving. Things are shaping up.

Sttop
06-01-2012, 12:09 PM
i would look at Tim to bring forward more of a team defence attitude more then anything, as well as possibly a better team discipline.

the voice
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Defense first is a start. Not familiar with Leonard enough I guess. We'll leave it up to the players to add offense from number 4-12 every night once they've taken care of their own end. I just hope we get balanced scoring which I believe we can.