PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp

westbeach55
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
went and checked out rookie camp today, I thought Gage Quinney looked really good out there can skate very well and put a couple nice goals in the net, others that i though stood out were Brenden Guhle, Bobby Mcmann, Dylan Stewart (speedster) Tim Vanstone, lance yaremchuk rest of players looked pretty good out there

lorange and odelein, parenteau seemed to struggle today

mcbride looks like he was a solid pick in net

overall good skate hard to judge over one session

chalk_one_up
06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Where was this held?

lordstanley
06-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Where was this held?

I thought i heard it was held in saskatoon for whatever reason maybe easier for kids to fly to and better physio combine workout centers i don't know i'm sure they went to P.A to check out the schools though

Trav
06-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Where was this held?

http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/raiders-spring-camp-to-begin-tomorrow

Looks like the on ice stuff is at the Rutherford rink in Saskatoon, the off ice stuff in PA at the Art Hauser Center.

lordstanley
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/raiders-spring-camp-to-begin-tomorrow

Looks like the on ice stuff is at the Rutherford rink in Saskatoon, the off ice stuff in PA at the Art Hauser Center.

Yep so i was right just wasn't sure what rink it was makes sence at rutherford with the university being there with all the workout things involved

Sabes
06-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Quinney, sick, Guhle and Vanstone all stood out. Expected more from Dea.

Raiderfan8
06-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Isn't quinney 18 ?

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Isn't quinney 18 ?
Born in 1994, so turns 18 in July, he's from Phoenix.

Go list players and rookies!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Heard a rumour that Zach Douglas was there (from Moose Jaw)...true or false.

If true, any good?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Quinney, sick, Guhle and Vanstone all stood out. Expected more from Dea.

...but Guhle was so far off-book...he can't possibly be any good, can he?

Unless...Dale actually knows what he's doing :eek:.

Funny that.

Way to go Brendan!

Was Zentner (goalie) there? Did he play?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 12:42 PM
How did Dallas Miller do?

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Sabes
06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Quinney is actually a 95. Zentner was there and was ok. Douglas was there but didn't notice him much. Miller was not at camp.

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Quinney is actually a 95. Zentner was there and was ok. Douglas was there but didn't notice him much. Miller was not at camp.

Damn eliteprospects.com...they've led me astray.

They have Quinney as 1994-07-29 and 17 years old (currently).

Looking closer, however, their stats are confusing...they have him as playing midget for 2 years already but his 11/12 team is listed as the Phoenix Junior Coyotes u16.

Go figure.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Good to confirm that Douglas is on our list...drafted by Seattle in 2010, he's supposed to be 18 in January (but then again Elite Prospects isn't terribly reliable on birthdates).

Was hoping that he'd be a solid Defensive (think 7th) D-man this fall.

-Wapitikev

lordstanley
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Good to confirm that Douglas is on our list...drafted by Seattle in 2010, he's supposed to be 18 in January (but then again Elite Prospects isn't terribly reliable on birthdates).

Was hoping that he'd be a solid Defensive (think 7th) D-man this fall.

-Wapitikev

Eliteprospects is my number 1 place to go for bantam aged players very reliable and good in my opinion second to none

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Eliteprospects is my number 1 place to go for bantam aged players very reliable and good in my opinion second to none

They seemed to have goofed on Quinney...they have him as a 94 but Sabes has him as a 95.

As far as Douglas goes, it looks like they have his age right based on his draft-year.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Apparently Quinney played 4 games for the u18 Junior Coyotes (1g, 1a) this spring as well as the u16 stats listed on the eliteprospects site.

Unfortunately they do not list his birthdate or year.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
The U18 website has a article where it talks about who they called up for a cup of coffee this spring...Quinney is one of them and he is listed (only) as a 95.

So Sabes was right.

-Wapitikev

lordstanley
06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
They seemed to have goofed on Quinney...they have him as a 94 but Sabes has him as a 95.

As far as Douglas goes, it looks like they have his age right based on his draft-year.

-Wapitikev

My bad i got mixed up between this and westernelitehockeyprospects

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
My bad i got mixed up between this and westernelitehockeyprospects
WEHP is usually gospel but he did report, on draft day, that Dallas Miller didn't play this year, which was an error. He didn't start the year but he did play 25 games. Eliteprospects.com missed that as well.

-Wapitikev

Western Elite
06-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Dallas Miller did not play 25 games this year. He played 9 games and the Winnipeg AAA website made an error in that regard.

Wapitikev
06-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Dallas Miller did not play 25 games this year. He played 9 games and the Winnipeg AAA website made an error in that regard.

So they have him as 25 games and 9 points...if he only played 9 games...how many points did he get?

-Wapitikev

Western Elite
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
He had about a point per game. He didn't play a game after November at some point. He played 8 or 9 games and that was it for the entire season.

Just a side note, Miller was drafted by OCN of the MJHL yesterday in the 5th round.

Wapitikev
06-04-2012, 09:41 AM
He had about a point per game. He didn't play a game after November at some point. He played 8 or 9 games and that was it for the entire season.

Just a side note, Miller was drafted by OCN of the MJHL yesterday in the 5th round.

Guess his hockey career isn't over.

Go, Blizzard!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Can he play in the MJHL this fall or his he too young? I don't know squat about JHLs.

-Wapitikev

Trav
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Can he play in the MJHL this fall or his he too young? I don't know squat about JHLs.

-Wapitikev

Not if he's 15 although they mite have a special exemption rule for top end players. I dunno why anyone would take him after the tantrum he threw during a game awhile ago.

Wapitikev
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Not if he's 15 although they mite have a special exemption rule for top end players. I dunno why anyone would take him after the tantrum he threw during a game awhile ago.

Like Western Elite says...he was a point-a-game kid...but he was only drafted in the 5th round of the MJHL...sounds like a flyer in case he manages to get his head straight.

They had the benefit of hindsight...the Raiders took him 6th round.

-Wapitikev

Western Elite
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Raiders Fans:

How high do you guys feel you can finish next year? I know their are some variables like overage etc but based on McNeill returning and everyone else?

From an outsiders point of view, I would say 4th place in the conference could be a realistic goal. Obviously Saskatoon and Edmonton will be ahead but after that, it could be you guys?

the voice
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Just as I figured we should have finished higher up last year, I can't figure exactly where we might end up this year. That will take some research. I will venture a guess that we will have a record setting turnaround in points based on several factors.... We lost many close games last year. We return approx 18 players (not all will remain). We added a new coach and a new goalie coach. We added a top notch goalie. We had a young squad for the most part and I have seen and heard reports of the boys dedicating themselves to a serious workout regimen. If the bottom two thirds of the roster comes in and take on a heavier workload it will complement our top end guys and give us a solid lineup. I predict several pleasant surprises throughout the lineup and many to prove early why they are here.

Wapitikev
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Raiders Fans:

How high do you guys feel you can finish next year? I know their are some variables like overage etc but based on McNeill returning and everyone else?

From an outsiders point of view, I would say 4th place in the conference could be a realistic goal. Obviously Saskatoon and Edmonton will be ahead but after that, it could be you guys?

Most Raiders fans were riding the playoff euphoria through the summer last year...the halo effect from our hard-fought series against Saskatoon (after which they never recovered their game) caused many to hope that the obvious problem areas would take care of themselves.

Sure the team lost 68 goals with the departure or Revenko and Parker (unexpected) but we had Winther and Danyluk...we'd be OK.

And then Danyluk got injured (and couldn't develop) and we traded a d-man (more on this later) for a 20 year old who didn't play after January.

Overall 219 goals-for was only 3 goals short of 8th place Kooteney, so that wasn't the problem area.

In goal everyone expected Williams to come in last fall and steal the show. Instead he didn't progress, was slightly worse than the previous year and by Xmas was supplanted by a goalie who was better but , it turns out, streaky and who finished the season with only a slightly better Sv% and a worse GAA than Williams had when he was traded.

But even that wasn't the biggest challenge last year...

The biggest problem was that the 2006 and 2007 drafts came home to haunt the team...and it hit home the hardest on Defense.

No WHL team can expect to be successful when only 1 player of the 21 players drafted in 2 straight draft years is good enough to still be playing on the team as a 19 or 20 year-old.

We had Brandon Herrod.

Mr. Campese has made a career in PA of getting something for nothing as GM, but after the Bettauer trade, we had no decent 19 or 20yo d-men in the system...and there was no-one left to trade in order to get one.

Even before the Bettauer trade, Defense was going to be the biggest problem going into the season. We could talk for pages about what went wrong inside the blueline...Yaworski digressed from the end of the 2010/11 season, we should not have added Vanscourt, Ruopp hurt his hand/arm early, Hart was injured too often, etc., etc.

...the rose (green?) coloured glasses didn't come off until it was too late.

Cue the 2012 offseason.

If Bardero returns, the core of the scoring lines from the end of the season are all back except for Maylan. In addition, i expect big things from Shane Danyluk this season and Gardiner and others should have a chance to shine on the 3rd line. A better Euro than Hlinka wouldn't hurt but I'd take him as a role-player. Prognosis: as good or better.

Goal is solidified with either Holwenko or Zentner pencilled in as the backup to start the season. Prognosis: better.

Defense is still a question but with 3 holes to fill (last year's 19yos) some of Waseylenko (19), Hodder (19) , Douglas (18), Dea, Finnson (17 this season) and Lacquette (16) should find a home. Prognosis: shockingly better.

So overall, barring freak injuries, I've stated on previous threads that I expect 80 points, am projecting 85 points, and expect to see home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

...but I hope Bardero stays.

-Wapitikev