PDA

View Full Version : Nelson off to U.S. junior team tryout

pontcanna
06-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Royals’ Nelson off to U.S. junior team tryout

Logan Nelson said the highest honour in sport is to represent your country.

The Victoria Royals forward, among 46 players invited Monday to the United States junior national team hockey evaluation camp Aug. 4-11 at the Winter Olympic Center in Lake Placid, will get a chance to do that.

“This is a huge honour,” said the 2011-12 Western Hockey League breakout rookie, from his home in Rogers, Minnesota.
“I was almost speechless when I got the invitation. There are no words to describe the feeling. I’m going to work hard getting ready for the camp.”

Former NHLer Phil Housley will coach the U.S. at the 2013 world juniors Dec. 26 to Jan. 5 in Ufa, Russia.

The Americans have become a potent force in the tournament. They won gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011.

Included in the U.S. evaluation camp are exhibition games against Sweden and Finland. The U.S. team will be finalized in December.

When Nelson got the call Monday from Colorado Springs, a big week just got bigger. The six-foot-one centre is the 73rd-ranked North American skater for the 2012 NHL draft, which takes place Friday and Saturday in Pittsburgh. He was among the top 105 draft-eligible players invited to the recent NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto.

“I think I did well for myself and let the teams see who I am as a person,” said Nelson.
The Sabres seemed especially impressed and flew Nelson to Buffalo for further workouts and testing.

Nelson was one of the big stories for the Royals. There was little in his 2010/11 season of six goals and nine points with Des Moines of the USHL to even remotely suggest his breakout 2011-12 WHL rookie campaign with Victoria, in which he recorded 23 goals and 62 points and dished out body checks of notable magnitude.

That combination is catching the attention of scouts.