PDA

View Full Version : CHL Import Draft

Raiderfan8
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
The Prince Albert Raiders selected forward Leon Draisaitl with the 2nd overall selection in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft earlier today.

Draisaitl, a native of Cologne, Germany, recorded 21 goals and 35 assists for 56 points in 35 games last season for Jungadler Mannheim Under-18. In 2010-2011, left-shooting Draisaitl amassed 97 goals and 95 assists for 192 points in 29 games for his Mannheimer Under-16 team.

The 6’2”, 198-pound forward has international experience, scoring 7 points in 6 games as an underage player at the 2012 World Under-18 Championships this spring. The 16-year-old also played for his country at the 2012 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, scoring 5 points in 5 games.

Wapitikev
06-29-2012, 10:18 AM
The Prince Albert Raiders selected forward Leon Draisaitl with the 2nd overall selection in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft earlier today.

Draisaitl, a native of Cologne, Germany, recorded 21 goals and 35 assists for 56 points in 35 games last season for Jungadler Mannheim Under-18. In 2010-2011, left-shooting Draisaitl amassed 97 goals and 95 assists for 192 points in 29 games for his Mannheimer Under-16 team.

The 6’2”, 198-pound forward has international experience, scoring 7 points in 6 games as an underage player at the 2012 World Under-18 Championships this spring. The 16-year-old also played for his country at the 2012 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, scoring 5 points in 5 games.
In listening to his interview and reading up on this young man, he started the U18 season (last year) as a 15 yo (he turned 16 in October)...and he was still dominant.

Sounds like he has very little to prove/accomplish at home and is a genuine NHL calibre elite prospect. Comparisons to E. Malkin.

Hope he gets some good advice regarding the level and frequency of NHL scouting in the W compared to Germany U18 AND that the W is probably the best place for him to get NHL ready for 2014 (his draft-year).

I hear his national coach is from Alberta. That can't hurt.

Can you just imagine a third line with Gardiner and Quinney feeding Draisaitl, the puck all year?

Sick!

I hear that McNeill, Ruopp, Winther and Even Bardero have all contacted him to make him feel welcome and let him know that they look forward to playing together in the fall.

Maybe Max Brandle (fellow countryman), who loved it here, can put in a good word for PA as well.

Dear Mr. Draisaitl: There's a brand new Raiders uniform with #29 on it, just waiting for you at training camp in August, if you want it. On behalf of 3000 screaming Raiders fans, we hope to see you here this fall!

-Wapitikev

Raiderfan8
06-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Be nice if the Raiders would advise if he's going to report to camp or not. Pretty excited for the season if we land him and Quinney . Be set up nice for this year and the future!

HockeyGuru
06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I would think the minute he signs a contract the Raiders will report his signing.It is always a very tough sell to bring over these elite euros,greasy agents,language barriers and professional leagues in europe always make tough negotiations.
Some of the top end Russians and top draft picks come with huge release fees up to a 100 grand for some as well as a under the table cash.I hope this kid reports,this year might be tough but i bet next season(draft year) he will come for sure.

Wapitikev
06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I would think the minute he signs a contract the Raiders will report his signing.It is always a very tough sell to bring over these elite euros,greasy agents,language barriers and professional leagues in europe always make tough negotiations.
Some of the top end Russians and top draft picks come with huge release fees up to a 100 grand for some as well as a under the table cash.I hope this kid reports,this year might be tough but i bet next season(draft year) he will come for sure.
Losing McNeill in 13/14 will definitely leave a void in the offense. If Draisaitl can play up to the hype (or even half of it) I'd take him for only one year, prior to his NHL draft, instead of two.

But if he wants to play in the NHL immediately after he's drafted, logic would suggest that having 2 years of practice in the North American game would be better preparation than only one.

As it regards the agents of Euro prospects and payments and indirect cash, the rumours (and likely the reality) certainly sucks for small market CHL teams. Unfortunately it's out of the CHL's hands...if he doesn't come to the CHL then we can always hope that whatever NHL team drafts him when he's 18, they decide to send him back to the CHL for seasoning as a 18/19yo...then he would play here eventually, anyway.

Given that possibility, however remote, it seems far smarter to take the opportunity he now has and play here when he can't play in the show, rather than risk being sent here when he could be in the NHL because he's not quite ready.

Guess we'll see what happens as training camp approaches.

And I already couldn't wait until September. Dag!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Be nice if the Raiders would advise if he's going to report to camp or not. Pretty excited for the season if we land him and Quinney . Be set up nice for this year and the future!
The possible talent pool that could be competing at this season's camp is the deepest and widest we've seen in PA for a long, long time. Is there a drool-smiley? Heh.

Which is not to suggest that the other returning players don't matter. The guys we're talking about here, even if they show up this year, are not the core of the team. Even without Quinney and Draisaitl we'll have a decent offensive group...but offense isn't our problem...it doesn't make the crummy defense of last year go away.

Perhaps Mr. Campese has another project in the works like McCallum or Parker in past years...only this year that he's a d-man.

I'm confident there is a plan...here's hoping that most of it comes together.

-Wapitikev