PDA

View Full Version : Clouston has 'definite interest' in Royals job

pontcanna
07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Clouston has 'definite interest' in Royals job

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW AND MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JULY 4, 2012

As speculation mounts about who will take over the Victoria Royals general manager and head coaching positions, recently vacated by Marc Habscheid, a form chart is beginning to emerge.

Scratch former Salmon Kings boss Mark Morrison from the list of possible candidates for the Western Hockey League club, but Cory Clouston and Dave Lowry remain potentials.

“There is definite interest on my part,” said Clouston, who has extensive head coaching experience from the Ottawa Senators of the NHL and Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League to most recently the Brandon Wheat Kings of the WHL.

“That’s all I can tell you,” added Clouston.

It was announced in May that Clouston would not be returning to the Wheat Kings after leading the WHL club to a 39-28-5 record last season and into the second round of the playoffs.

Lowry, assistant coach of the NHL Calgary Flames before changes were made at the end of last season, said he hasn’t talked to anybody from the Royals, but added: “I have interest, absolutely.”

“I’m a coach that doesn’t have a team right now,” added the man who played in the NHL from 1985 to 2004 and has one season of WHL head coaching experience in taking the 2008-09 Calgary Hitmen to a torrid 59-9-4 record and the league final.

“I have had contact with NHL teams. This Victoria [situation] is all relatively new. I know I wouldn’t have any problems doing it. I just don’t know if that’s an avenue I would look at right now.”

His son, NCAA Cornell forward Joel Lowry, played for the Victoria Grizzlies of the B.C. Hockey League for two seasons.

Meanwhile, Morrison needs little introduction to Island hockey fans. He is the all-time leading scorer in Victoria Cougars WHL franchise history and was assistant coach and later head coach and GM of the pro Salmon Kings of the ECHL.

But Morrison wants to remain in pro hockey, where he is on track to become an NHL assistant coach or AHL head coach.

“I’m not interested [in the Royals]. I’m really happy being with Winnipeg [Jets organization] and in St. John’s [as assistant coach of the Jets’ AHL affiliate],” said Morrison.

Habscheid, who left to pursue other opportunities with the company that owns the Royals, was both head coach and GM, but Royals owner Graham Lee has not ruled out the possibility of separating the positions and hiring two people.

“We’re open to that,” said Lee, when it was announced suddenly Habscheid was leaving June 22.

“There’s quite a bit of interest among people out there in coming to Victoria. There are a lot of good candidates.”

The Edmonton Journal speculated in April that Doug Soetaert, released last season as GM of the Everett Silvertips, might take on that role in Victoria. Other possibilities may include Clouston, Lowry, Kris Knoblauch, let go last month as head coach of the Kootenay Ice after leading them to the 2011 WHL title; former Victoria Cougars WHL player Eric Thurston, who was head coach with the successful University of Alberta Golden Bears CIS program; and current Kamloops Blazers assistant and former Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak.

Another name mentioned by sources has been former NHL banger Tim Hunter — who has 14 seasons’ experience as assistant coach in the NHL with Washington, San Jose and Toronto — and who is now head coach with Okanagan Hockey Academy.

With Ryan McGill named Wednesday in Kootenay, there are now only two head coaching vacancies in the WHL — Victoria and Brandon.

Royals president Dave Dakers said his team won’t be rushed into a decision.

“Getting it right is more important than getting it almost right.”