PDA

View Full Version : CHL to benefit from NHL lockout

patsdude114
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
With the recent info leaked into the media about what the NHL is purposing for the upcoming CBA there is an extremely high rate that there will be an NHL Lockout.

A high profiled writer in Montreal had an article in the Leader-Post here in Regina & he fully expects there to be a full season lockout as the NHL wants to take away another 11% from the players in revenue-sharing along with a few other demands like Free Agency not til after 10yrs a few things that the NHLPA is really barking at.

So onto the CHL this will benefit the CHL even more this year then it did in 2003/04. We were treated to prob the best Team Canada U20 team that we have ever saw players like Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Bergeon, Carter, Richards just to name a few were all 19 that year & were all expected to be in the NHL that season.

This time around the CHL should be more prepared for it as the WHL alone has stated it is really considering adding in a 4th 20yr old to the rosters which would just add to the quality of hockey us junior fans get to see.

Depending how full the AHL rosters are some WHL teams could really benefit from it could possibly see guys like Etem, Stone, Ferland, Sundher, Weal, Nicholls, Bulmer, Howden, McIlrath just to name a few. A guy like Ferland tho with the Flames having such a weak system could still find himself in the AHL... im a Flames fan unfortunately & they have nothing for top prospects in the AHL now & only Ferland & Bartschi coming up.

I for 1 could careless if the NHL goes into a lockout, the regular season is so boring to watch. There is zero respect in the NHL anymore & its just a Mickey Mouse show. Id rather watch an OHL or QMJHL game on sportsnet then watch the NHL during the regular season.

lordstanley
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
With the recent info leaked into the media about what the NHL is purposing for the upcoming CBA there is an extremely high rate that there will be an NHL Lockout.

A high profiled writer in Montreal had an article in the Leader-Post here in Regina & he fully expects there to be a full season lockout as the NHL wants to take away another 11% from the players in revenue-sharing along with a few other demands like Free Agency not til after 10yrs a few things that the NHLPA is really barking at.

So onto the CHL this will benefit the CHL even more this year then it did in 2003/04. We were treated to prob the best Team Canada U20 team that we have ever saw players like Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Bergeon, Carter, Richards just to name a few were all 19 that year & were all expected to be in the NHL that season.

This time around the CHL should be more prepared for it as the WHL alone has stated it is really considering adding in a 4th 20yr old to the rosters which would just add to the quality of hockey us junior fans get to see.

Depending how full the AHL rosters are some WHL teams could really benefit from it could possibly see guys like Etem, Stone, Ferland, Sundher, Weal, Nicholls, Bulmer, Howden, McIlrath just to name a few. A guy like Ferland tho with the Flames having such a weak system could still find himself in the AHL... im a Flames fan unfortunately & they have nothing for top prospects in the AHL now & only Ferland & Bartschi coming up.

I for 1 could careless if the NHL goes into a lockout, the regular season is so boring to watch. There is zero respect in the NHL anymore & its just a Mickey Mouse show. Id rather watch an OHL or QMJHL game on sportsnet then watch the NHL during the regular season.

Nicholls is back anyways he wasn't signed by Toronto and no one took a chance on him in the draft he also said he wants to have a huge season here

Trav
07-16-2012, 09:47 PM

It'd be great to see Etem back for another year and tear up the league again but I have a feeling the Ducks would make room for him on their AHL team.

I hope there's a lock out as well, ive lost interest in the NHL long time ago.

The Wheatiemaniac
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I would love to have them go to 4 overagers in junior. Even if it meant going to 1 import. Each year, several guys that are good enough to play major junior are being cut loose due to having no room on the roster. And as posted earlier, it could only add to the quality of play as youger players still eligible for midget would also not be rushed to the next level too soon.

N.W. Bruin
07-29-2012, 09:46 AM
My concern is a partial season lockout. Say if the NHL gets back in December with training camp. The top end junior talent would maybe go to NHL camps and the world juniors would have to scramble for fill in players. I have no memory of what it was like in 1994 when there was a partal shutdown (not having a junior team to support does that). But it definitely looks like there will be some sort of lockout/strike what with the NHL wanting a 20% cut in salary versus revenues (46% vs 57%) would bring the cap down to 56 million appoximately.

SectionNDeserter
08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I think that the NHL couldn't possibly have continued to survive without the new CBA that followed the 2004-2005 lockout, which is why the owners locked the players out. The players would have been more than happy to continue playing in a league without a salary cap, which is why the league locked them out.

I think the situation is completely different this time around, and if they don't come to a conclusion by the start of the season (which I don't think they will), the two sides will mutually agree to extend the current CBA, possibly for another season while they continue to negotiate.

Both sides will still be motivated to get a deal done, because there are some things the NHL wants to fix in the current CBA, and lets face it, there is no possible way that teams will be able to continue to sign players to the contracts that they are signing them to, so you will have all sorts of decent players either sitting, making no money, or taking a contract that is well below market value just to play.

Rebelsfan13
08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
I agree that the last lock out was essential in getting the salary cap and that we are on our way to another lock out this time around. I don't think though that the owners will consent to finishing the year under the existing agreement otherwise they might as well just do that now. What Bettman did so well last time was bring a group of owners with different opinions together with one resolve. If that happens again this year then we could be in a long fight since Donald Fehr also is not going to back down. Hopefully the two sides will be open in this negotiation and the resolution is an equitable solution for both sides.

In the interim the prime minister is right if a lockout occurs then this should benefit other leagues in which the dub should be one of especially in NHL cities where people will want to continue to "go" and watch hockey.

Trav
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I remember in the last lock out, the Calgary Hitmen benefited big time with the avg attendance being quite high. I expect the same would happen in Edmonton as well. Both teams will be pretty solid as well this year.

patsdude114
08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Not sure if any of u r following the recent proposals from the NHL & then todays from the NHLPA both sides are no where close to an agreement & Bettman has already stated if they will not work under the old CBA at all that they will lock the players out.

Reading articles out of Montreal with some very good writers they have stated a few times that this year will be another full lock out as the owners are not going to budge on what they want. In the end the owners hold the cards, they r the 1s that pay the bills.

I was part of a union in 1 of my jobs when i 1st started driving truck for Loraas Disposal here in Regina. We went thru the BS of getting a new contract while i was there & in the end the owner still holds the cards. But the only difference there was he never locked us out altho the union told us not to go to work but 80% of us didnt want the union there anymore so we basicly told them to go F themselves the only guys who didnt work were the 1s who wanted the union to stay in place.

In the NHL stance on this alot of teams lose money anyways so it is benefitting them to not play a single game this year so that puts the cards in the owners hands not the players. There is only a handful of teams that will truely lose money by not playing but that is not enough for the league to say ok lets start playing again.

Contracts go into void during lockouts so really its the players missing out on there money not the owners. The players will be the 1s to bend yet again just will come down to when.

Fehr is a fool anyways, he ruined baseball with there luxury tax instead of a hard cap. Baseball & basketball have the worst systems out there, there was reports that Fehr was going after a luxury tax system instead of a hard cap but after todays proposal it wasnt part of it.... thank god!