PDA

View Full Version : Rebels Draft Picks

Warrior
07-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Another RD Rebel draft pick has informed the club that he will not be attending camp and going the NCAA route. Does this happen as much to other teams as it does to the REbels??

W

SectionNDeserter
07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Another RD Rebel draft pick has informed the club that he will not be attending camp and going the NCAA route. Does this happen as much to other teams as it does to the REbels??I don't really recall any 'important' Rebel draft picks going the NCAA route, or at least any that they were counting on or even expecting to make the team. There are a few WHL teams that just straight up have their 1st round bantam picks go NCAA.

Warrior
07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Remember Wallin in the newspaper last year saying himself that he didn't understand why Kryczka wouldn't come to camp? The year before that was Chase McMurphy who lit it up in the AJ on a mediocre Calgary Mustangs hockey team. The one not showing this year will raise some eyebrows.

When you draft as poorly as RD does...you need all you draft picks to show.

W

Trav
07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Remember Wallin in the newspaper last year saying himself that he didn't understand why Kryczka wouldn't come to camp? The year before that was Chase McMurphy who lit it up in the AJ on a mediocre Calgary Mustangs hockey team. The one not showing this year will raise some eyebrows.

When you draft as poorly as RD does...you need all you draft picks to show.

W

You know, ur making it hard for people to believe what ur saying when u don't even say who the player is. Say who it is and people might believe u. Saying a "Rebel pick" won't be coming to camp is pretty lame, sorry to say.

Warrior
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Gotta have some suspense...it's only July. I'm surprised nobody else has brought it up because it has been announced by an AJ team that signed him.

SectionNDeserter
07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Remember Wallin in the newspaper last year saying himself that he didn't understand why Kryczka wouldn't come to camp?Kryczka was at the 2010 rookie and main camp, and really didn't set himself apart from even some of the listed players there. Would have been nice to see if his skating/conditioning had gotten any better last year, but I am sure they aren't losing any sleep about it.

The year before that was Chase McMurphy who lit it up in the AJ on a mediocre Calgary Mustangs hockey team.I think McMurphy left his fourth and final Rebel camp and headed the NCAA route because it was very clear that if he signed that he was going to start the year on the 4th line, and he really didn't show a lot more in that camp than Millette or Maxwell or Hamilton.

The one not showing this year will raise some eyebrows.Maybe, but none of them really have up until now. It is bound to happen to any team eventually though.

When you draft as poorly as RD does...you need all you draft picks to show.I wouldn't say they draft poorly, though they certainly havent been hitting it out of the park with their picks after the second round.

Warrior
07-23-2012, 08:43 AM
McMurhpy is a 94 and left after his one and only camp. He had an outstanding camp and then went on to score 32 points in 50 some games as a 16 year old in the AJ. Rebs are starved for offence...they could use this kid.

Rebs drafting has been terrible...Connor Redmond, Ferraro, Mappin, the list goes on and on. I mean anyone can pick the Nuges and Dumbas. How about this year when they pass on Sam Reinhart and division rival Kootenay scoops him and his 62 points! Whens the last time the Rebs have drafted a starting tender???

I don't see Koot and Med Hat having trouble with their draft picks.

W

SectionNDeserter
07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
is a 94 and left after his one and only camp. He had an outstanding camp and then went on to score 32 points in 50 some games as a 16 year old in the AJ. Rebs are starved for offence...they could use this kid.Scoring in the AJHL translates into absolutely nothing in the WHL. He attended the 2010 rookie camp, the 2010 main camp, the 2011 rookie camp, and the 2011 main camp(that would be four camps), and left camp just before the B&W game. He stood out in 2010, but drastically backed off in his physical game in 2011, though his skating got a lot better. He was ok in 2011, though not "outstanding" as you put it--at least not as outstanding as in 2010, he would have definitely made it as a 4th liner in the WHL at the very least.

Whens the last time the Rebs have drafted a starting tender???Agree with you here, this is the first time in forever that they seem to ever be making an effort to draft a starter in the bantam draft. I can't remember the last time they had a reliable 16 or 17 year old goaltender in the lineup. Ward maybe?

Warrior
07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
We count camps different...he attended one camp where he was eligible to become a RD Rebel.

Look...my point is that there is a trend. Out of 17 drafted players in 2009/2010, 3 want nothing to do with the Rebels. That is significant. If you look at just the 2010 draft year...2 of 7 are not attending camp. That leaves 5 in the pool of which two are a 9th and 10th round pick.

If it wasn't for some significant trades...Froese for Ferraro and the Inglis trade last year...the Rebels would be in deeper do do.

W

Warrior
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Actually make that 4 of 17...Stener has also committed to Alaska Fairbanks. Houston...WE HAVE A PROBLEM lol

And Section Deserter....go back and check Wallins comments on McMurphy...he's much more than a "4th liner at best"

W

SectionNDeserter
07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
We count camps different...he attended one camp where he was eligible to become a RD Rebel.He was drafted in the 6th round in the 2009 draft, which would make him eligible to play in both the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons (He is 18 now btw).

Out of 17 drafted players in 2009/2010, 3 want nothing to do with the Rebels. That is significant.Is it though? It doesn't really seem like a significantly higher percentage than a lot of other teams in the league, and it isn't uncommon for players that don't believe they can crack a WHL lineup (in a timely fashion) to go the NCAA route instead. So far they have been fortunate that they haven't had a 'sure-fire' pick go the NCAA route instead of reporting, as has been the case with a number of other teams (ie: potentially Barzal in Seattle). It really seems to be more of a growing CHL problem, as you never used to see 1st round bantam picks signed to educational contracts a week or two after they were drafted, and often not until they were eligible to play in the WHL, but now you see them getting signed very shortly after the draft, and if they don't, everyone is speculating that they are planning on committing to an NCAA team.

If it wasn't for some significant trades...Froese for Ferraro and the Inglis trade last year...the Rebels would be in deeper do do.As long as they keep robbing teams in deals like Ferraro for Froese, Mappin for Kudrna etc, and continue to list undrafted players that have an impact, like Willie Coetzee, Turner Elson and Brett Ferguson, I will be happy.

Warrior
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Let me simplify it for you ... The Rebels drafting sucks balls. If you are happy getting pounded on by the likes of Med Hat year after year, then I guess you would be happy with a few good trades and some list players. Really?? You want to rely on your lists over draft picks...that my friend is why the Rebels are stuck in mediocrity.

SectionNDeserter
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Let me simplify it for you ... The Rebels drafting sucks balls.They have their good picks, and they have their bad picks. They have a few good picks that should be joining the team this year and next (Bleakley, Musil, Fleury, Mpofu, Burman, Brand). There is a few problems that they have had though. I think they are a bit too loyal to some of their players, especially their veterans. They have hung on to some of them in the past that were clearly no better than the younger guys, or cheap pickups from other teams.

If you are happy getting pounded on by the likes of Med Hat year after yearWe pounded them when they missed the playoffs for an entire decade, so it is all fair really, though I don't think you will find any Rebel fan that isn't growing weary of their recent dominance of the Rebels...

Really?? You want to rely on your lists over draft picks...that my friend is why the Rebels are stuck in mediocrity.Of course you don't want to 'rely' on them, though they are a vital and valuable resource, as they don't cost you anything, and will sometimes land you an 80 point forward like Coetzee, and help to cover this flow of 6th and 7th rounders going NCAA that concern you so much.

Rebelsfan13
08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't really recall any 'important' Rebel draft picks going the NCAA route, or at least any that they were counting on or even expecting to make the team. There are a few WHL teams that just straight up have their 1st round bantam picks go NCAA.

What about Heatley?

SectionNDeserter
08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
What about Heatley?Heatley wasn't drafted in the Bantam draft, and was never anything more than a huge long-shot that they listed.