PDA

View Full Version : Coach brings back most assistants

pontcanna
08-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Royals’ coach brings back most of last season’s assistants

There will be plenty of familiarity among the Victoria Royals’ coaching staff.
New head man Dave Lowry confirmed on Tuesday that Enio Sacilotto, Ben Cooper, Brady Robinson and Jeff Compton will all return to the club for the 2012-13 season.

Sacilotto, Cooper and Robinson will all be assistants in their second season in the Royals’ organization, while Compton also remains on as strength and conditioning/skills coach.

The Royals also recently announced the addition of Geoff Grimwood, who doubles as the head coach of the major midget South Island Royals, who are now affiliated with the Western Hockey League club, and an assistant with the major junior team.

Lowry looks forward to working with the entire crew.

“Absolutely, to me they bring a load of information,” said Lowry. “Enio has been there a couple of years [he was with the organization when it was the Chilliwack Bruins] and Ben was there last year. They are valuable resources for me.
“When you look at Enio’s resumé, he is a career coach and Ben is one year in, but he’s had lots of experience with Hockey Canada on the video side.
“We’re in the business of developing players and developing coaches,” added Lowry. “It’s all about development in the WHL and bringing young guys along, as well.”

As the new head coach, it was speculated that Lowry might lean toward bringing in his own staff, but the former Calgary Hitmen bench boss — who spent the last three seasons as an assistant with the Calgary Flames of the NHL — stated from the day of his hiring that he would discuss matters with the former assistants.

“Sometimes it’s good to start fresh, sometimes it’s good to bring in familiar faces,” said Lowry. “Talking with different people, everyone was comfortable with the job these guys had done in the past.”
“Enio was interested in coming back. I was expecting to talk to him again later [Tuesday],” said Royals’ general manager Cam Hope, who was in the midst of finalizing the deals. “But he was interested in coming back and we’d love to have him back so I’m hoping that it all works out.”

Grimwood, a Victoria native, will work in a mentorship program and sit in on WHL meetings and be on-ice on an availability basis, said Lowry.

ROYALS’ NOTES: The ice is now back in at SaveOn-Foods Memorial Centre and training camp is set to begin on Aug. 23. ... The club is looking for billets for the upcoming season and interested parties can fill in applications online at www.victoriaroyals.com.