PDA

View Full Version : ARMSTRONG NAMED DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

pontcanna
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
ROYALS NAME GRANT ARMSTRONG DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

Victoria adds former Winterhawks’ Head Scout to hockey operations department

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Royals today announced that Grant Armstrong has been named the team’s Director of Player Personnel.

Armstrong joins the Royals after spending the past four seasons as Head Scout with the Portland Winterhawks. Working under Head Coach and General Manager Mike Johnston since 2008, he played an integral role in each of Portland’s WHL Bantam Drafts, Canadian Hockey League (CHL) Import Drafts and player signings during these years while coordinating the club’s scouting department. During Armstrong’s time as Head Scout, the Winterhawks captured a U.S. Division title in 2010-11 and reached the WHL Final in each of the last two seasons.

“I’m very excited about this opportunity,” said Armstrong. “After speaking with Cam it was obvious that both he and Dave Lowry share an exciting, common vision for the future. There is a lot of pride in wearing the Royals logo and I’m looking forward to helping the organization acquire and develop quality players and individuals within that framework.”

“We’re happy to be able to add Grant to our organization,” said Royals’ General Manager Cameron Hope. “Grant is an experienced evaluator, but more important to me is his commitment to creating a culture of excellence. He’s innovative and he’s an excellent communicator. His skill set will improve our existing scouting department and I look forward to working with him.”

Armstrong will report directly to Royals’ General Manager Cameron Hope and will be tasked with coordinating the Royals’ scouting staff, overseeing all Western Hockey League (WHL) and minor hockey scouting operations, assisting in the development of the Royals’ 50-man Player Protected List and the recruitment of prospective players.

The 50-year old North Vancouver, BC native has been heavily involved in British Columbia hockey for much of his life. Most recently, Armstrong held the Head Coach position with the North Delta Devils Junior B team in the Pacific International Junior Hockey League during the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons.

At the same time, Armstrong spent two years as North Vancouver Minor Hockey Association’s Director of Hockey Operations after earning the role in 2010. Since 1995, Armstrong has also been involved with the North Delta Minor Hockey Association as both a coach and development coordinator, earning the Pacific Coast Amateur Hockey Association’s Coaching Development Award in 2003 for his accomplishments within the association.