PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Thoughts

witness
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Well it is the first day of training camp. I just looked at the rosters and there are some interesting thing and names that pop out.

The Pats have a lot of talent at the goaltending spot and the 16 and 17 year old age group. They lack at the 18 and 19 year old age group. I think a guy like Austin Daae has a real shot to make this team.

The Pats will be one of the youngest teams in the league, without a doubt. But, how many 16 year olds do you carry? And can you get them enough quality ice time?

Here are some of the players that I want to watch:
15 year olds - Reagan (from what I have heard, he could play on the Pats now) and Rylee Zimmer (I am super pumped the Pats drafted this kid. Could be a sleeper and could develop into a highend talent)
16 year olds - Brooks (can he come in and contribute??), Mumby (will he decide to make a commitment to the game?), Gora (if he has a good camp that might make one of the older goalies expendible)
17 year olds - Can Gay, McLean and Reimer translate Midget success into WHL success? Edwards and Wik (unknowns on the backend, might be worth a look)
19 year olds - It will be between Zimbaluk and Hamblin. Who can eat some minutes on the backend?

Are Stephenson, Klimchuk, Burroughs, Williams, and Beukeboom ready to play a bigger part in the team and can they carry this team for the next couple of years?

RWAH
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
The rooster surprise for me was that Landon Peel ws not invited. Thought for the 10 or 12 games last year he was a promising young player.

Witness: You may be correct, I watched Patrick Gora at the Spring camp and he was by far the best goalie at that canp. If he brings that quickness and competitivness and solid technic to this camp he will turn some heads and be able to make this team.

nivek_wahs
08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
The rooster surprise for me was that Landon Peel ws not invited. Thought for the 10 or 12 games last year he was a promising young player.

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2012/08/30/pats-primer/

— D Landon Peel is in a similar situation. Peel, who split last season between the Pats and the MJHL’s Swan Valley Stampeders, won’t be in camp and has elected to return to his junior A team. The Pats are retaining his rights for now and may be willing to give him another look under the right circumstances.

lordstanley
08-31-2012, 07:11 PM
http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2012/08/30/pats-primer/

Looks like Locke Muller is a no show for you guy's he will play for Bonnyville this season

RWAH
09-02-2012, 10:39 AM
At scrimmage on Saturday night the two top lines looked good together and could be the top lines for this season. One line was Stephenson between Rodewald and Klimchuk and the other was Sylvegard between Hunt and Scheidl. Rookes Hardason and Williams both lookes good. Williams made some great passes out of his end. Looked poised and not paniced.
Nelson is a big boy and wants to be an agitator, not afraid to be be phisical and mix it up and would be a change for the team that lacked that for the last few years.

On the rookey scrimage and the 16 year olds Dman Donald looked poised and physical and Forward Schioler was the best there but Brooks was not dressed. Sylvester and Mumby are in the mix.

In goal Gora is technicly sound , very quick and sould push for the back up spot and that could help in the 20 year old equation

patsdude114
09-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Looks like Locke Muller is a no show for you guy's he will play for Bonnyville this season

Thats no loss to the Pats at all.

Glad this site is back, i liked the other 1 but this is the original cant mix with that :) Im sure ill post on both, if the other keeps going

lordstanley
09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Thats no loss to the Pats at all.

Glad this site is back, i liked the other 1 but this is the original cant mix with that :) Im sure ill post on both, if the other keeps going

You are right Muller a no show is not a big loss at all the guy took some very stuppid penalty's at the worst of times last season just a below average player

patsdude114
09-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Was a pretty entertaining Blue & White game 1 of the better 1s in the last couple years... with Team Blue winning 4-3 in a SO

Coming into camp i was excited to see Mumby & Nordstrom but both have left me very disappointed. I thought they would push each other for a roster spot this year but Reagan & Kallis (both 15yr olds) out played them. The only 16yr old i see us having is Erik Donald, this kid really left me wanting to see more. He doesnt shy away from the physical presense & even when a played is bigger then he is he just gets in his way along the boards to slow him down. He has alot of potential already possesses alot of poise. I see the Pats only keeping (3) 16yr olds & thats Donald/Brooks/Ortynski

The 17yr olds is where the Pats seem to have alot to build on with alot of depth at this age group. Players who really impressed me were Gay, McLean, Williams & Burgardt... if Burgardt does not make the team i see the Pats trading him to fill a spot on the roster, i dont think he has out played Sacher so imo our goalies will be Beukeboom & Sacher with Hewitt finding a job else where.... maybe Seattle will want a upgrade over Anderson cuz he isnt worth much at all.

Out of the 18yr olds i really like Hardarson (on the Blue & White linup page he was listed as a '93 but he is a '94), he is a relentless forechecker, goes hard every shift... reminds me alot of Mitchell just without the big hit in him. Another 18yr old who got my attention was D'Amico from the scrimmages i seen he has a quick & accurate shot I think the Pats will give him a long look to make this team. Christoffer impressed as well he has some offensive flare to him.

A big surprise to me was the quality of a Dman Cole Hamblin is, he only saw 7 games with the Spokane Cheifs last season & 12games the year before. Hes a smart Dman doesnt do alot of skating cuz he positions his body good & has a very good stick check. He has size at 6'4 235lbs (listed last year with Spokane) I think he is a lock on our backend, he definately beats out Zimbaluk as a 19yr old.

I dont know where Liam Finlay is from but he impressed me in the only rookie game i saw & he was put in the Blue & White game as well..... at 15yrs old at his size which im guessing is no more then 5'5 maybe 150lbs he hopefully has some room to grow abit. Was looking thru draft picks & cant see us selecting him (unless im blind today) he is definately a good list player tho. Another player i really liked was Rylee Zimmer, hard to imagine he slipped down to the 5th round this past Bantam Draft. At 6'0 150lbs at age 15 he has a year to grow, i definately see him cracking the Pats roster next season at age 16.

With the Pats having alot of depth in goal, I truely feel Lang will be trading 1 of them after/during preseason. I think Beukeboom still has the inside track on the starting job but Sacher could steal that from him if he has a poor start to preseason or stumbles out of the blocks in the regular season. Gora i dont think will be dealt at all, he is still only 16 & with a full year of midget ahead of him & alot to prove still the Pats will wait on him for there future plans. To me that leaves Burgardt as the guy with some trade value to him, he was only 1 of the best goalies in Jr A last season with the PA Mintos. I think alot of teams would love to add a goalie like that at age 17.... things could get really fuzzy if the NHL does annouce its lockout & then the CHL goes ahead with adding a 4th 20yr old to each roster, i think that is the only way Hewitt sticks around then the Pats could end up moving 2 goalies.

All in all i thought it was a good camp from the scrimmages i seen & the Blue & White game was a treat in itself this year. Going into the 3rd period tied at 0-0 & then some very beautiful goals scored by Stephenson/Klimchuk & 2 off Scheidl's stick.

patsdude114
09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Per Greg Harder after the Blue & White game - the Pats reassigned 15 players:

Forwards: Liam Finlay, Jared McAmmond, Rykr Cole, Tristan Reimer and Colton Kroeker.

Defence: Kenny Nordstrom, Brendan Kallis, Brady Reagan, Erik Donald, Chase Harrison, James Hilsendager, Nikolas Koberstein and Rob Fulton.

Goalies: Patrick Gora and Nicholas Schneider.

That leaves the roster at 31 (plus Andrew Rieder and Kyle Burroughs both injured)

Maybe a few more are culled out before Thursday's Brandon game - as some may elect to protect their NCAA eligibility.

I must say i am very surprised to see Donald being reassigned over Mumby... everyone else i knew was going to get reassigned today or tomorrow as there basicly mainly the 15yr olds.

Is Donald maybe keeping his NCAA eligibility open? cuz he was by far better then Mumby was

RWAH
09-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Pattsdude I am in full agreement that re-assigning Donald is a real surprise. IMO he was better than Mumby and Zimbaluk. Payed very well with or with out the puck. Knew when to pinch and when to back up, I had him top 5 D-man
Are they keeping Rylee Zimmer as the only (97) for the first exibition game or was he missed in ''Harders'' report.

patsdude114
09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I didn't even notice that Zimmer waasnt on the list, I copied it from the whlforum site & pasted it here. Didn't really pay much attention to aall the names but was surprised Donald was on it.

I had Donald in the top 5 as well, Mumby wasn't even ahead of Reagan or Kallis & there both 15yrs old. I guess that's why I'm a fan & not part of the hockey operations haha what do I know........

To me maybe it seems like Donald is protecting his NCAA elgilbility, cuz he can definately be playing in the WHL this year, I can't think of another reason he is sent home so early without at least a preseason game or 2

witness
09-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Mumby has talent. The book on him is the desire. Let's see how this pans out. I agree that Donaldson looked better in the scrimages, but there are other factors (and NCAA is one).

it looks like the Pats have signed Zimmer. Great news! I really like this kid. I watched a couple of ND midget games last year where Zimmer was called up and not only was he not out of place, he was one of the better players.

The Pats kept around 4 goaltenders, hmmm.....

witness
09-04-2012, 09:27 AM
the list doesn't include Burroughs and Reider.

If Jobke leaves then I think the competition is between Zimbaluk and Hamblin. Which one of them can eat up some 4 and 5 dman minutes.

Up front I think that it is between Schioler and Ortynski. The Pats will take one, but not both 16 year olds. And I think that Hughesman is a place holder. And then the 20 year old situation needs to unfold. With a possiblity of 2 forwards not making the cut.

patsdude114
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Right I forgot that Burroughs & Reider werenon that list which changes a lot. Altho the Pats did carry 8 Dmen last season with Burroughs & Zimbaluk the 7th & 8th guys. Which ultimately lead to Fenske playing some forward to get Burroughs some minutes on the back end.

I personally would rather see Schioler over Hughsman, yes Hughsman isn't afraid to drop the mits but I don't see him dropping the mits against many bigger then him. He isn't that physical & in the D zone he seems losti think he has a lot to learn before he is considered for this team.

RWAH
09-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Can Anyone confirm??? I heard two regulations reguarding 16 year olds
A. A WHL team can only have three (3) 16 year olds on their rooster.
B. A 16 year old must play a minimum # of games, unless injured, and I heard the # was 40
Any help out there???

witness
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Can Anyone confirm??? I heard two regulations reguarding 16 year olds
A. A WHL team can only have three (3) 16 year olds on their rooster.
B. A 16 year old must play a minimum # of games, unless injured, and I heard the # was 40
Any help out there???

News to me

patsdude114
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
There is a rule inplace for only so many 16yr olds per team & if aa team waants more for whatever reason they need permission from the league. The Pats needed permission back when we had 5 16yr olds prob like 7yrs ago now when we had pyett, bernhart, Mcdonald ect altho I'm not sure what the required games r

Trav
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
All I've heard is that 16's have to play 40 or more games

patsdude114
09-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats have acquired defenceman Keaton Lubin (’94) from the Calgary Hitmen in return for a conditional sixth round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

Lubin, a third round pick (66th overall) in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, suited up for the Hitmen in fifty games over the past two seasons.

The 6’0”, 192 lbs defender also dressed for the AJHL’s Okotoks Oilers last season. He had four assists in nine regular season games before putting up four points (1G,3A) in seven playoff games.

In 2010-11, he was a member of Canada Pacific and took home bronze at the World U17 Hockey Challenge.

Name: Keaton Lubin
DOB: 02-15-1994
Hometown: Okotoks, Alberta
Position: D
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 192 lbs

-------------------------------------------------

Calgary, AB - The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club announced today that they have acquired a conditional sixth round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft from the Regina Pats in exchange for defenceman Keaton Lubin.

“We would like to thank Keaton for two seasons in Calgary and wish him success with the Pats,” said Hitmen Executive Vice President, Alternate Governor and General Manager Kelly Kisio.

Lubin, an Okotoks, Alberta, product recorded two points (one goal, one assist) along with 39 penalty minutes over 50 regular season games. At the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, the 18-year-old blueliner won a bronze medal with Team Pacific.

The Hitmen selected Lubin in the third round (66th overall) in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

SectionNDeserter
09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I have always wondered what would happen if a team DIDN'T dress a 16 year old for 40 games... Seems like something that can't really be enforced "after the fact".

patsdude114
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I have always wondered what would happen if a team DIDN'T dress a 16 year old for 40 games... Seems like something that can't really be enforced "after the fact".

Im guessing a team risks losing a draft pick maybe a 3rd rd pick or something for not following the league rule with 16yr olds... would be a good question to ask 1 of the GMs

patsdude114
09-06-2012, 01:42 AM
My gut feeling is that Weal will end up back in Regina for the 2012-13 season. He’ll be disappointed, but Kings prospects are in standstill mode now with the big club returning their entire roster from last season, with one exception that won’t change anything.

You apparently haven’t seen Weal in the Kings Development, Rookie or training camps. His lack of size and strength has been a significant issue. It’s also why he didn’t play during the AHL playoffs when he was called up to Manchester after the WHL playoffs ended for Regina. Until he puts on more muscle and learns to play bigger than he is, he’ll continue to be ranked lower, and for good reason.

Here is a couple comments by Gann Matsuda reguarding Weal

lordstanley
09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Here is a couple comments by Gann Matsuda reguarding Weal

This is kind of good news for Blades fans i am sure lorne will offer up a nice package for him

patsdude114
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I doubt Weal would be going anywhere. The Pats would have 2 very good lines with Weal/Sceidl on 1 line & Stephenson/Klimchuk on the next line......plus Weal has a chance to do something extremely special in Regina Pats history & thatbecome the oldest junior franchises all-time leading scorer. It would be Weal's only career legacy as he will not become a NHL full timer anyways.

I'm sure if Weal does come back Lorne will kick tires at hime but being a 20yr old the price tag comes down A LOT & would never get full value for him so midas well cash in on bigger attendances as the Pats will have a good team hands down just by inserting Weal into the lineup. You would prob see Lang add some key part to the team before selling.

lordstanley
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I doubt Weal would be going anywhere. The Pats would have 2 very good lines with Weal/Sceidl on 1 line & Stephenson/Klimchuk on the next line......plus Weal has a chance to do something extremely special in Regina Pats history & thatbecome the oldest junior franchises all-time leading scorer. It would be Weal's only career legacy as he will not become a NHL full timer anyways.

I'm sure if Weal does come back Lorne will kick tires at hime but being a 20yr old the price tag comes down A LOT & would never get full value for him so midas well cash in on bigger attendances as the Pats will have a good team hands down just by inserting Weal into the lineup. You would prob see Lang add some key part to the team before selling.

maybe true can even weal turn a team like the pats who now i predict to finnish in the 5th or 6th spot in the division possibly turn them into a 40 win team and make the playoffs i guess time will tell just glad hockey starts in 2 weeks baby

patsdude114
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
The Pats biggest question mark going into the season is the defense & to some extent goaltending if Hewitt doesn't stick (which I doubt he will) I think the offense will be fine guys like stephenson & klimchuk r going to have very good years & if scheidl can put up the same kind of numbers as last year the pats will be more then ok offensively. Scheidl has been 1 of the best Pats in training camp & don't expect that to change going into the season. He has always worked extremely hard & puts in the effort needed to get better every game.

If by chance Weal comes back (which I'm not holding my breath on) the Pats could easily contend towards a division. As everyone knows lang is not afraid to make a deal when he feels he needs something.

Western Elite
09-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Weal won't be back. He will either stick in the AHL, if not, ECHL and if not there - then he will go to Europe.

I think a lot of fans across the CHL are holding out high hopes for signed players returning to junior, when in fact they won't.

Plan your season without Weal at this point Pats fans!

patsdude114
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Sorry europe will not take these kids when they have a endless list of NHLers they can go after. Its either the ECHL (which is a brutal league) or back to junior. I'm not betting on Weal coming back but it is still an option reguardless until the NHL bull**** gets dealt with.

Western Elite
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree here!

Time will tell the truth in the end though!

patsdude114
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
So much has to be settled with the NHL & NHLPA & then there is the NHL-CHL agreement as well which has not been signed yet either. Technically if the NHL wanted too they could take all there drafted players & stuff them in the AHL, which could turn into a promising year for the CHL would then turn into the worst year ever on record. All they would have to do is sign all there picks to a AHL pro deal since there is no agreement there really is nothing stopping them from doing it besides merit & knowing there will be an agreement intact soon & not ruin a good working agreement between the 2 leagues.