Just some thoughts on last nights game.

I thought the following had a real good game:
Sacher
Jobke
Williams
Scheidl
D'Amico

Here are the ones that I thought were a step behind
Zimbaluk - for a 19 year old, he was not physical or moved the puck well. Looked tentative
Mumby - got caught on bad pinches (but, looked like he was expecting a forward to trap in the neutral zone)
Whelan - looked more comfortable in the third than he did in the first
Hardarson - spent too much time reaching for the puck. Use that big body!

Others
Hughesman - wasn't good, wasn't bad. I don't know if that is good enough for a walk on
Olstad - consistant game. In tough with the other 20's
Schioler - Again, he didn't look bad. But, here is a kid who's biggest asset is that he is a big body. As a 16 that is not an advantage right now. He needs to fill out. His skating is not great, but not bad for a big guy. Does have some good hockey sense, the puck did seem to follow him around.

Bepoleon
09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
1. Ortenski > Brooks and Schioler (i dont think the latter two looked ready to make the jump but its only the first ex game)
2. Mumby doesn't look like he's ready for the dub (mind you again its the first game).
3. D'amico impressed me.
4. Williams looked poised and ready to make the jump.
5. Hamblin over Whelan and Whelan over Zimbulak.
6. Sacher is making a push.
7. Mclean did well on face-offs. not conviced he will make the team.
8. Possible soon to be cuts, Hughemans and Gay?

witness
09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Interesting thoughts. I do disagree on a few. And again I can appreciate the only viewing for one game.

Ortenski > Brooks and Schioler (i dont think the latter two looked ready to make the jump but its only the first ex game
Brooks is more ready than the other two, because he has more elements to his game. Skates really well and once the speed of the WHL catches up to him, he will be OK

Mclean did well on face-offs. not conviced he will make the team.

He also didn't do anything to hurt his chances. Again needs some time to adjust. He is a skilled player and the Pats need that.

Possible soon to be cuts, Hughemans and Gay?
I thought Gay was good. Skates well and good size. I think that both McLean and Gay will be turning the corner sooner than later.

patsdude114
09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought Ortynski was very good along with D'Amico & Williams for the rookies. We all know what we will get from Scheidl, Jobke, Ouellette so there games didn't come to any surprise at all.

Hughsman I thought played well, played the body pretty much every shift, I wasn't a fan of him in training camp but last nite he played better then any of the camp.

Hardarson was very good, he was 1 of the best out there. Even his fight wasn't too bad either for standing up for Brooks.

McLean was very good in the faceoffs by far the best on both teams. I must say Zimbaluk has no place on this team at all, he was 1 of the worst players on the ice for both sides. For his size he should be way more aggressive & actually hit something. He will be 1 of our 1st cuts next week I think. Another player who really disappointed me was Connor Gay, he was by far the softest player on the ice for both sides. He showed no will to win a puck battle, he shyed away from the actually. His passes were extremely soft, & showed ZERO intensity. I hope last nite was a huge wake up call for him at where his level of plaay needs to be/get to or no way in hell he makes this team & if he does & stays that soft he will be my whipping boy all year long.

Sacher also looked very good especially early on when brandon was controlling the play a lot. Beukeboom better put up a good performance as well or he will not be the starter coming opening day.

I'm guessing tonites lineup in. Brandon will feature Stephenson,Stevenson, Klimchuk & Sylgaurd (ill learn to spell his name later lol) I think that lineup will be a lot better then the 1 we seen last nite. That is of course if all 4 of them actually dress, I don't see a point in dressing Stephenson or Klinchuk at all this weekend even give Scheidl tonite off as well. We all know what they r capable of doing & what u get every single shift from those guys.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-08-2012, 08:08 PM
And here I was just getting used to the new layout. But anyways...

I really like the addition of Cole Hamblin. Like Underwood last year, hes a big guy and a stabilizing influence. Him and Williams were the best defence pairing that game for sure...not that Sacher didnt make them look good. Up front, I liked Brooks, Hardarson, Olstad(has a better chance than people think), D'Amico, Scheidl, and of course the goaltender. Schioler could use some work but we will see him next year, and Ortynski is in the same boat, although not as much of a project. Like Witness said, Brooks just needs some direct experience and he will contribute. Its too bad I didnt see Christoffer, as he was pretty feisty last camp. Hopefully Gay is better, as he did not have a notable game. Zimbaluk should go the way of the borstmayer, and Whelan will probably get caught up in the numbers game as will Hughesman.

And Volek was invisible out there.

It really does look like a tough choice for netminders this year, like it was last year. Beukeboom had a good year, but this teagan kid seems to succeed everywhere he goes. And then of course you got Hewitt.

Since its a weak D, and the other two likely arent ready to start anyways, you got to keep Hewitt...otherwise they need to pick up another jobke type dman(especially if Colten doesnt come back from camp). Backups could be a crapshoot. Whoever plays better at this camp should be the choice, but I could see them going with experience. In a perfect world, Id like to see us keep Teagan, and have Beukeboom moved(since Sacher probably doesnt have any value yet).

patsdude114
09-09-2012, 02:08 AM
SAJ I think I definately have to agree with u about the goaltending thing. Our defense isn't strong at all & there will be some growing pains on the backend believe this year. Keeping Hewitt looks like it could be a very smart move, not a move I was in favour of prior to camp but seeing our very inexperience D looks like we will need a proven guy between the pipes who may have to steal us a few games this year.

I loved ur comment about Volek being invisable (I'm going to guess it was sarcasm which is why I loved it as I'm sure u know he isn't at camp)

I can't wait til next weekend as we see a more vetern lineup on both sides (pats & blades) & belueve u r right Olstad has looked very good at camp, definately making it tougher on the coaches to cut him loose. He may stick around til we have to make the cut down. He coyld be wanted by some team out there as well who may need a 20yr old who can lead by example cuz 1 thing no 1 can take away from him is his hard work & dedication he could be a good example for a rebuilding team.