PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Royals 3 - Sep 22, 2012

dondo
09-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Royals Fell Giants
Vancouver 2 Victoria 3

Losing most of the puck battles and waiting until late in the game to fight for a come-back has not worked for two games now and the Giants will find themselves on the wrong side of the scorecard if they make a habit of this kind of hockey. The Giants had a chance to even up the series between these two squads, but simply did not show up until it was too late, again. The score was 1-0 for the home squad for a long time before a PP marker and very quick one off of some sloppy play gave the Royals a 3 goal bulge until about mid-way through the third period. The G’s got some puck luck having a pinball shot ruin Polivka’s shut-out bid. Some rookie mistakes were the difference. For the second night the Giants got within one after being down by three, but could not complete the come-back.

The Giants lost a fair amount of the puck battles and their hunger for the puck was lacking. This team is feeling disjointed and very green right now and although I appreciate them not giving in, a better start and focused commitment would serve them better than last minute pressure they should have been applying all game long. This team simply is not good enough to play this way and they need to turn around this trend sooner.

Tonight saw a bunch of scratches and players coming into the line-up. Out Vickerman, in Foster. Out Popoff, in Ast (off of his four game suspension). Disappointing to see Zalitach a scratch as well as he was one of the best defensemen Friday night. Apparently Taylor Makin was released today to open space for a future 20 yr old. A shame as Makin had the team’s best +/- during the preseason at a +6.

The G’s were 0 for 2 on the PP while the Royals went 1 for 4. The G’s special teams have been frankly awful. The effort is suspect and the team is playing young. Houck got 2 more helpers tonight, bringing his total to 4 As in two games. The Giants have almost a week off to practice and get a handle on the make-up of their team and get their **** together. On the same page would be nice, out of the same book would be better.

Lucic
09-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Almost a mirror image of the game on Friday night. The Giants were not good in the first two periods. They came out a much different team in the third and dominated the play. Unfortunately they dug themselves another hole and couldn't climb out. Victoria really took it to the Giants physically, which isn't surprising but still frustrating nonetheless.

Priceisright
09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
What beat writers, if any, cover the giants games? How come I never find a giants story following a game? Other than here of course.

I guess nobody cares.:confused:

Lucic
09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Steve Ewen (http://blogs.theprovince.com/category/sports/hockey/the-dub-hub/) from the Province is pretty much the main source of Giants information.

Priceisright
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks. Not even daily news lol or recap from the night before. Sad.

Lucic
09-23-2012, 04:41 PM
The best way to get something like that would be on the Giants website. Or whichever team they are playing against. Steve Ewen doesn't follow the team on the road. And I doubt he watches the webcasts.

Priceisright
09-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Aww okay. I find the Giants website bias thus why I asked :) its too bad they dont follow them on a regular basis.

When I worked for the Oshawa Generals years and years ago lol they always had someone cover each game or even two people.

I guess times have changed.

Lucic
09-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah it's unfortunate. There are a lot of area's specifically with the Giants and media relations that are lackluster, IMO. Their website is better now than it used to be but it could be a lot better.

dondo
09-25-2012, 07:22 PM
well if you guys can put up with my curmudgeonly ways, I will continue to try to recap all the games - the one above was me half-listening to a poor game and needing to work the next day ;) - I maybe be biased for the home team, but I won't let them off the hook - or softsoap poor play