PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Chiefs 2 - Sep 30, 2012

dondo
09-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Much better outing by the boys, Kulak had a good bounce back game, but I was most impressed by Orban who I believe had his best game as a Giant I have witnessed live. Good win.

Giants Clip Chiefs
Vancouver 3 Spokane 2

The Giants played the best team game they have so far this season and if they were to have lost this game I would still be giving them credit for their effort and execution. Tyler Fuhr got the start and although he started out a bit shaky, allowing the first goal on the first shot (ala Liston) and looking a tad antsy between the pipes, he settled down later and in the third made a few game saving stops to get the Giants their first W of the young season. Tonight seemed to be a game where the coaching staff were playing “bubble” players, most of who stepped it up, making the coaching decisions to come that much trickier. Taylor Vickerman, however, ceased to impress me - failing to use his size and not taking the body as he should be doing, he had moments though and for a 16 yr old that isn’t getting a ton of ice-time I should be cutting him more slack, but his unwillingness to grind it out and get in there disappointed me. The line of Franson, Popoff and Houck had all of the elements you usually want for line chemistry. A sniper, a grinder and a playmaker – it helps if both the playmaker and grinder are capable of scoring. The other line I liked was Cheek, centred by Burns and Tvrdon on the other wing. Kulak bounced back from an awful outing on Friday and was much better, but it was Blake Orban who turned my head by finishing checks and stalking down opponents in his own end. The third and winning goal for the Giants came because of some relentless offensive zone pressure with Orban hustling and keeping the puck in the zone multiple times.

The Chiefs opened the scoring on the PP about 4 minutes into the game on the first shot on Fuhr. The Giants missed their assignment and allowed the Chiefs player way too much time to make a play in front of Fuhr. Fuhr had little chance. The Giants tied it up on their own PP late in the first. Nathan Burns buried a beautiful top shelf shot off of a Trevor Cheek cross-ice feed coming out of a broken play. Brett Kulak got the other helper. David Musil wired it from the point in the second. Kulak got a helper on that goal, as well. The Chiefs tied it up on yet another PP chance, off of what I would say was a very questionable call. Hard pressure in the Chiefs zone late in the period kept the Chiefs pinned in their own zone. As mentioned above, Orban did stalwart work keeping the puck in the zone more than once, earning the second assist. Marek Tvrdon made a nice cross-ice pass to Cheek who smacked the puck far side on Mac Engel.

Team Notes: Fuhr proved that he is capable of battling, having the hunger and agility to accomplish that feat. Hay mentioned that Fuhr is always game for a game, but needs to learn how to practice better. A better base of fundamentals would probably elevate his game from solid to possibly elite. It sounds like he will get the nod as long as he continues to perform. I am hoping that Hay doesn’t revert to his old ways and instead gives the young goalie all of the chances to take the starter’s job. Orban had one of his best games, solid at both ends of the ice, playing physical and hustling hard. Tvrdon finally got a point and during the post-game interview Hay intimated that this was the first time this season he saw the kind of work ethic he expects from a player such as this. Ales Kilnar was sat yet again for this game and to be honest it is very unfair for a team to acquire a 19 yr old player (euro especially) and have him ride the pine. If he is not a fit then deal/release him, but don’t sit an offensively gifted player who has had only one regular season start and played well enough to stick. Maybe he’s not on the bubble and until the line-up is set he can sit while the rest get sorted out.

Zebra Cage: Brett Iverson, Mike Campbell – okay for the most part, but Campbell made a couple of seemingly reactive calls not from seeing an actual infraction, but just witnessing a result. The worst being a tripping call on the Giants when it appeared to me that two Chiefs collided with one another. They let a fair amount go as well in this one, but it seemed equal both ways.

Fisticuffs: Scott Cooke and Jeremy McIntosh. Cooke was lucky not to get an instigator as he slashed McIntosh and then dropped the mitts. A lively bout between the two, with both getting in their licks. McIntosh got the take-down.

It felt as if I was witnessing the Tips of a few years back watching the Chiefs play today. They obstructed with great regularity, got called on only the most blatant ones and were quick to throw head punches. The Chiefs were pretty solid and hard workers and the Giants had to earn their goals in the game. The Chiefs had few shots on Fuhr. Burns seems to be progressing nicely into one of those players that wants the puck and the responsibility. I have high hopes for Nathan to be a go-to player this season and a difference-maker. A few of our average 18 yr olds are definitely on the bubble, in my mind, both Cooke and Vetterl bring something, but in my estimation not quite enough to stick. I’d like to see some of our 16 yr olds get the chance to make the squad. Our defense is stacked right now, though mostly disappointing so far. I would like to see Reid Zalitach get the chance to contribute as he showed dimension beyond his years in the game I saw him play. It is still very early in the season and getting the first win helps, but by no means are we out of the woods. The BC Division will be very competitive and the Giants will need to continue to put together games like these.

The G’s out shot the Chiefs 24-15. They went 1 for 4 on the PP, while the Chiefs were 2 for 4 – getting both of their goals with the man-advantage. Despite limited shots Fuhr had to be great on a couple, notably a cross crease pass that he made a nice pad stop on coming across. Fuhr got the second star nod tonight, an award I would not give any goalie allowing two goals on 15 shots, but he most definitely earned his pay-cheque, so to speak. Hay said he desires a more consistent line-up with fewer options of swapping players in and out and I agree. The team still lacks an identity, but I have to say that they seem to pushing toward an aggressive fore-check and that is the kind of game I like to watch. They did not sit back and protect the lead in the third and I consider this a big positive and a progression from the past couple of seasons, which frequently saw four players laying back in the neutral zone. Better in their own end there were still a few too many missed assignments giving quality scoring chances for my liking, but this game is a start and something to build upon. I hope Fuhr gets the start in Kelowna on Wednesday. A challenge I believe he’s up for and one he earned today.

Three Stars

1. Trevor Cheek
2. Tyler Fuhr
3. Mike Aviani

Dondo’s Hardhat: I think I have to give it to Blake Orban, for turning my head and playing one of his best games as a Giant. Despite not getting any points I continue to like Sward’s game a lot – I’m hoping for a Machacek-like season for him this year.

franchise
10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
with your take. Your comment about Burns, and his ability to become that guy, are going to be important to this years team. I am pleasantly surprised by his move to center but looking back it suits his game. He has always been one of the smoothest skaters on the team and playing center seems a better fit so far. Cheek can only help. With size and a scoring touch he seems to see the ice well and that makes a big difference to Don's line tinkering. Franson is fairly one dimensional - shoot and shoot some more; he's no play maker so adding Cheek and moving Burns to center has the potential to make them a true two line threat.

franchise
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
The defensive zone coverage has been horrible. How many times have we seen them for get the last guy, behind them, or double up one guy and leave another unmarked in front. They are just too anxious to get the puck up the ice before they've taken care of it.

scrunt
10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Ales Kilnar was sat yet again for this game and to be honest it is very unfair for a team to acquire a 19 yr old player (euro especially) and have him ride the pine. If he is not a fit then deal/release him, but don’t sit an offensively gifted player who has had only one regular season start and played well enough to stick. Maybe he’s not on the bubble and until the line-up is set he can sit while the rest get sorted out.

Clearly the Giants agree with your "play or release" comment... From the Giants website:

Import Draft Pick Ales Kilnar Sent Home to Czech Republic

Oct 1, 2012

VANCOUVER, BC – After being a healthy scratch in 3 of the first 4 regular season games, 19 year-old Ales Kilnar was released by the Giants today and is flying back home to Ostrava, Czech Republic.

Kilnar was Vancouver’s selection, 44th overall, in this past CHL Import draft. He was brought in to be a top 6 forward after picking up 28 goals and 51 points in 39 games last season with HC Vitkovice in the Czech U20 league.
But according to General Manager Scott Bonner, Kilnar didn’t elevate his game as much as they had hoped. “Although Ales had a very good training camp for us, we felt that once the pre-season rolled along and the level of competition was raised, he wasn’t able to provide what we expect of a 19 year-old Import player, and we thought it was best for both parties to send him back home.”
The move reduces the Giants’ roster to 26 players, but only 25 of which are active, with injured defenseman Arvin Atwal not expected back until November.
The team has an off day today before returning to practice tomorrow in preparation for their road game Wednesday in Kelowna.http://vancouvergiants.com/article/import-draft-pick-ales-kilnar-sent-home-to-czech-republic

I must admit I'm very surprised at this move. I thought it was an unwritten rule that bringing in a Euro involved a commitment by both sides (but mostly the team) to stick with it for a while. I did not think Kilnar looked out of place in the one game he played, and I'm surprised the team did not give him a chance to even begin to develop. No doubt his being a 19 year old meant the team had no incentive to be patient. Maybe (probably) there is more to the story.

It would be nice if the Giants would use some of their competitive advantage in the WHL (way above average revenues) to properly scout European players, and stop doing favours for others (scouts, Canucks) that have totally backfired the last few seasons.

franchise
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
where were they when Saskatoon grabbed Makarov off waivers? Saskatoon had finished much higher than the giants the previous season so wouldn't the Giants have been in line ahead of the Blades? Just an observation but Makarov has really been a find in toon town: maybe they were still hoping lilhati coud be made available. The truth is this team has had no stud between the pipes for years - and you can't underestimate the effect that has on the way the team plays.

dondo
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
The Euro situation is a complicated one by all accounts. The players who are "drafted" have already been vetted, with deals worked out prior with these player's agents. Rarely is an import draft just that. It depends highly on the relationship between the agent and the team "drafting" the player.

I suspect that the Makarov deal was worked out in advance and the waiver pick-up was actually soemthing that had been engineered.

The Giants have had horrible luck/scouting with their euro players. With pouty players not wanting to practice hard and going home cause it's too tough, to pandering to teams like the Canucks expecting them to do the homework and paperwork and finding that they have done neither.

It's a frustrating situation to be sure and one the Giants have been perrenially losing. The last real quality euro we had was Repik and it took a season or two to see him shine. Andre Kudrna had ridiculous skill and managed to make an impact in Red Deer after we traded him for a listless bag of pucks, we all felt would be an impact player. Cass Mappin was one the laziest players I had the misfortune to witness.

Kudrna may not have been the most committed player, but as a 17 yr old he he was given less responsibility and maybe as an 18 yr old he could have been given a bit more slack to develop. That said: the fans on here, including myself, were frustrated with his level of committment/effort on the ice and applauded the deal at the time.

The Giants in general though have little patience with their euros in my observation and Hay has no patience for players who are pure skill players who don't feel they should grind it out. The thing is that if they get the points, then a couple of those players can be tolerated in my mind and put to good use.

One of Hay's failings is treating every player the same. Oddly he gave ridiculous slack and golden opportunities to the average sized, moderately skilled and rather lazy Greg Lamoureux who should have been gone after his first season here imo. If they are willing to do that, then maybe assessing pure skill players as a narrow asset would help this team elevate in ways they have not been able in the recent past. It's an interesting dynamic to say the least.

It just depresses me a bit to see other teams with game-breaking import players who are always at the top of their rosters (regardless of what position they finished the previous season) and for us to slightly more skilled, yet hardly game-breaking players and often carrying only one due to other factors. I just don't think it's a game the Giants brain-trust play well.

Tvrdon is good, but not great in my mind. He might be able to be great and I am sure losing that one season to injury has him a step behind where he should be. I apprecaite he doesn't shy away from physical play and hope he'll find his touch again soon. Hay is already bemoaning his work ethic this young season so we'll see how that works for them. Some players need to be coddled and nurtured and some need some tough love. It seems the G's have a whole lot of tough love and not too many velvet gloves in their toolbox.