PDA

View Full Version : Kilnar sent back to Czech Republic

dondo
10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
This was posted in another thread here, but felt it warranted it's own thread. It was becoming pretty clear to me that the Giants did not have confidence in this player, but to be honest I didn't see him being given much of a chance to show what he could do. A healthy scratch in 3 of 4 games and judging his potential contrbution by the preseason? There has got to be much more to this story.

I am happy that if the Giants were not going to play him or give him the chance that they released him and didn't make him ride the pine and embarass/waste his career completely, but really he was barely given a cup of coffee - when we have many middling, under-sized forwards who should have been sent down/traded/released by now, Kilnar had some size and I would have liked to see him get a better shot - but as said above I don't think this is the real story. It's kind of like when someone is fired with extreme prejudice and has been "given the opportunity to pursue other options" - Politics and lip-service.

In my mind this season by trying to leave their options open the Giants have only succeeded in muddling the issues and confusing the players.

If you are interested, the Chiefs game thread has a more extensive analysis of this issue.

Import Draft Pick Ales Kilnar Sent Home to Czech Republic

Oct 1, 2012

VANCOUVER, BC – After being a healthy scratch in 3 of the first 4 regular season games, 19 year-old Ales Kilnar was released by the Giants today and is flying back home to Ostrava, Czech Republic.

Kilnar was Vancouver’s selection, 44th overall, in this past CHL Import draft. He was brought in to be a top 6 forward after picking up 28 goals and 51 points in 39 games last season with HC Vitkovice in the Czech U20 league.

But according to General Manager Scott Bonner, Kilnar didn’t elevate his game as much as they had hoped. “Although Ales had a very good training camp for us, we felt that once the pre-season rolled along and the level of competition was raised, he wasn’t able to provide what we expect of a 19 year-old Import player, and we thought it was best for both parties to send him back home.”

The move reduces the Giants’ roster to 26 players, but only 25 of which are active, with injured defenseman Arvin Atwal not expected back until November.

The team has an off day today before returning to practice tomorrow in preparation for their road game Wednesday in Kelowna.

Lucic
10-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Kilnar didn't get a fair shot but it was evident he was in Don Hay's doghouse and we all know once that happens, you are pretty much screwed. Either way it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Kilnar did look good during training camp but at the same time I'd rather see the younger guys get more ice time and develop properly. If Kilnar was 17 maybe that would be a different story.