PDA

View Full Version : Long year ahead for fans?

Priceisright
10-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Saw the tweet about the giants let overager niebrandt go. Giants will play with only 2 over agers. Long season ahead and rebuild?

Lucic
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure the Giants will go all year without another overager. In fact I suspect they will claim someone like Cam Lanigan when Portland either waives or releases him. Assuming that happens I expect Liston to be released.

Regardless it is going to be a long season either way. Dumping Neibrandt will only help the team, IMO. He doesn't have what it takes to be an overager in this league.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
It's fine by me. The Giants are in no position to grin and bear it with an under-producing OA, while young guys could be absorbing that ice time. Next up: Liston.

franchise
10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
for claiming an overager on waivers? If two or three or five teams all claim the same guy...is there a pecking order?

SectionNDeserter
10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
It is the same as the NHL, teams claiming are prioritised from worst to first.

Lucic
10-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Steve Ewen seems to think the Giants may want to use their open overage spot for a physical forward. So who knows what will happen.

At this point I'm glad the younger players will have more opportunity to play and develop.

franchise
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Steve Ewen seems to think the Giants may want to use their open overage spot for a physical forward. So who knows what will happen.

At this point I'm glad the younger players will have more opportunity to play and develop.

Giants add Kale Kessy from Med Hat. Known for his hands; particularly how he throws them at opponents. And elbows for that matter. Not a bad addition actually. One of the two things the team really needs it size and toughness. The other is a truly reliable goalie and I a sincerely hoping that is Fuhr.

Lucic
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I love the addition of Kessy. Finally a forward that can hit with some impact. He'll add some much needed grit and toughness up front.

SectionNDeserter
10-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I love the addition of Kessy. Finally a forward that can hit with some impact. He'll add some much needed grit and toughness up front.Unfortunately, he will probably only play about 25 more games for the rest of the year...

Lucic
10-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, he will probably only play about 25 more games for the rest of the year...

Point taken. Unfortunately the league is certainly watching his every move. Being a physical player and taking penalties go hand and hand. Especially this day and age where clean hits are considered penalties and or suspensions. Not that I'm claiming Kessy is a clean player because he is not. He deserved a lot of the suspensions he did receive. Not all, IMO, but most.

Priceisright
10-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Ya i was watching some videos to find out who this guy was. I had to gasp a few times. He won't last if we plays as dirty as the videos I saw/watched.

I don't have much use for guys like that.

Toughness if one thing, stupidity is another.

GL1040
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I sure hope that today was first step in negotiating an end to the NHL lockout as it has affected hockey at every level down to Midget.

For the Giants, hopefully the org will now have courage to really start building a team that fans can be excited and proud of for years to come. To date all the moves and play seem to be revolved around capitalizing on the void of no Canucks (which has failed miserably on and off the ice), instead of what they have been saying to media about how excited they are about current crop of younger players, that don't play or don't play meaningful minutes and not getting opportunity to develop! Seems as if they lost focus between filling the void in the market, panicking at their record to start season and trying to build a team that could potentially host and win the Mem Cup in 2016. The reality of the roster now is that it is filled with 18, 19 and 20 year olds that get the majority of the prime ice time and yet only a couple of them have had seasons with over 40 or 50 points and that was only for a season. The youth on the team are obviously a more skilled group that these older journeymen were at their age, hence the Mem Cup hosting idea. Give the young guys the ice time, look at what Houck has managed to do with it for instance. I would say after awhile with this confidence and experience within the current season, the drop off of the youth production vs the vets would not as much as you would think and think of the upside for the future.

dondo
10-20-2012, 03:53 PM
There will be growing pains. The team divesting themselves of a lot of future picks has me a little disappointed. I am appreciating the forecheck pressure I am seeing in our game lately though. Often-times that pressure will force turnovers, but at times (as others have said on here) it makes teams liable for odd-man rushes the other way.

I am hoping our goaltending stabilises a bit and that the boys are hungrier in their own zone. Those two things will help us not put ourselves in a hole before we decide to play and give us a chance to get some much needed wins.

johnnyradiant
10-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Let Lee and Fuhr slog it out and heap praise on them so they can get better through sperience and trade Tyvrdon sooner than yesterday.