PDA

View Full Version : After 10, the forwards

SectionNDeserter
10-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Here are my thoughts, and letter grades for the Rebel forwards in the first 10 games.

Conner Bleakley (B-) - Looks fantastic so far at both ends of the ice, great work on the boards and has worked well in traffic. Saw him on the concourse after the game, and the kid is built like a TANK. Great things ahead for him in this league.

Turner Elson (B-) - Limited to 3 games out of the first 10 due to injury, he has been off to a bit of a slow start, but has gotten his share of scoring chances, and has shown great speed to the outside as well as his good defensive play. With the departure of Kambeitz, making him the captain was a no-brainer.

Cory Millette (C+) - I thought he was invisible for the most part in the last half of the season last year, and didn't think he really developed much. Looks like he is a better player for all the ice time though, as has played a lot better already this season. Still looks a little disenterested in his own end of the ice at times, but I think this part of his game has improved over last season.

Colten Mayor (C+) - I had him picked to be a breakout player this season, and put up 30 or so goals. He was a big part of any success the team had last year, but the points don't seem to be coming to him so far this year, maybe because his role isn't as big this season, but he needs to start clicking soon, as some younger players have been brought in to push some of the older guys.

Charles Inglis (A-) - Didn't really do much of anything in the first three games--except take some stupid penalties. Then it was like a switch went off and he looked far more focused and determined. Had the league lead for goals at one point, and is still in the top 10. Has done a fantastic job in both ends of the ice in the last 7 games. He could easily top 40 goals this season at this rate.

Jesse Miller (C+) - Could quite possibly be the only Rebel forward that was taking the body in the first three games of the season, at all. He has decent speed, finishes his check, and works well on the boards. He is however, an 18 year old rookie, and is really going to have to find even a shred of an offensive game at some point to stick in this league, as he is going to see some pressure from some of the younger guys that have been brought in.

Joel Hamilton (B-) - Seems to have a lot more confidence this season, and has looked far more dangerous in the offensive zone than last season. With the departure of Kambeitz, I think he is going to be counted on a lot more to win faceoffs and eat up some of his minutes.

Chad Robinson (C-) - He quietly put up 36 points last season, and I had him pegged for an improvement on that. I think he is still arguably their best defensive forward and penalty killer, but moving forward, I am not convinced that will win him a job as an overage player next season.

Brooks Maxwell (C-) - Has developed into a "mini-Robinson", with great speed, fantastic penalty killing as well as a willingness to put his body in front of shots. He is quite possibly the best skater on the team, without the puck. There is nine '94 players on the roster however, and he is going to have to start putting up some points to avoid being a player that gets 'trimmed'.

Christian Stockl - Haven't seen enough of him to make an honest assessment, but he seems to have enough skill to play in this league, and there has to be some chemistry, with him and other Winnipeg Wild Alumni Kevin Pochuk and Jesse Miller. Seems to have been given a bigger role on this team than in Saskatoon, and has been used as a center so far.

Wyatt Johnson - Still has yet to play a game due to injury, but he must have made an impression with one of the Rebel scouts to be brought in injured, and stay on the roster for a month. Will be interested to see what he brings to the table.

Tyson Ness (B-) - He has moved the puck up ice quite well this season, and battled a lot more at both ends of the ice. He has been rewarded with some decent point totals thus far, and has been getting even more ice time.

Marc McCoy (C+) - Has been surprisingly good so far, though used almost exclusively on the wing so far. Needs to start putting up more consistent numbers however, as he is one of the aforementioned '94 group that will need to be trimmed down a bit next season.

Matt Bellerive (A-) - Vancouver traded this guy for a 3rd rounder because? If I had to pick one word to describe him, it would be 'motivated'. He has been making things happen in the offensive zone since coming over, and absolutely crushing guys on the boards at every opportunity. He has a quick, hard shot, and a great hitting technique, and also excels in his own end of the ice.

Austin Ferguson - Didn't play in the first 10 games, and have only seen him play in game #11. Not really enough games to evaluate him yet, but it is good to see a 17 year old come in that already has one season of WHL experience.

JMoney1988
10-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm just curious, didn't know where to post it, did Bartosak get injured again, I noticed Pouliet is starting and someone else is backing up him??? Thanks for the response.......

SectionNDeserter
10-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm just curious, didn't know where to post it, did Bartosak get injured again, I noticed Pouliet is starting and someone else is backing up him??? Thanks for the response.......As I understand it, he is not in the lineup for 'disciplinary' reasons. Don't really know anything more than that.