PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Suspension

RWAH
10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Hot off ther WHL web site Grayson gets 5 game susoension for hit to the head on Hunt last Saturday. It is Graysone second suspension for a hit to the head.

I think he will be back playing before Dryden will.

patsdude114
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
That was the min i was expecting but was hoping for more closer to 8 to 10 games... it was the dirtiest hit i have seen at the Brandt Center in a few yrs prob the next closet was Austion Bourhis hit on our goalie at the time when he ran at him from the center ice line & drove him back into the net. He received a 5min major auto game & i believe got a 3 game suspension for it as well.

The worst thing about that hit was Hunt just came back from a concession & im sure will be sidelined for another few weeks now with the same symptons.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
This will keep happening until hunt needs to keep his head up. simple as that.

patsdude114
10-17-2012, 12:25 AM
This will keep happening until hunt needs to keep his head up. simple as that.

do its hunts fault the guy went head hunting on him? wow i thought i heard everything before.... this is the 1st time in his hockey career he has ever had a concession problem & his 1st time being injuried with it was from a fight when his head hit the ice.

Hunt being a smaller guy keeps his head on a swivle pretty good if u ask me, he doesnt take many hits... i truely cant believe i just read what u posted when the kid was blind sided with a elbow, & this is the 2nd time already this grayson kid has been suspended for this type of hit... i also think that i guess it was AJ Johnson's fault too that Hunt last year hit him in the head as well & gave him a concession as well.. not that i was Hunt's fault for being wreckless??

Lucic
10-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Grayson did not elbow Hunt. He hit him with his glove/forearm. And the hit really wasn't that bad, IMO. Of course in today's softer game it's easily a suspendable offense but not worthy of five games in my eyes. The fact Hunt recently returned from a concussion likely factored into the suspension length.

patsdude114
10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Elbow forearm still a hit to the head & reguardless if it was Hunt or any other player who was healthy with no concession in recent weeks it was still a dirty hit & most definately suspension worthy. I could careless if it was against the Pats or the Broncos or the Royals I'm the furthest thing from a homer unlike so many on this site & other sites it was a dirty/cheap shot that has no business being in the game.

witness
10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Grayson did not elbow Hunt. He hit him with his glove/forearm. And the hit really wasn't that bad, IMO. Of course in today's softer game it's easily a suspendable offense but not worthy of five games in my eyes

Disagree!!

A blindside forearm shiver to an opponents head is a complete lack of respect for the opponent. Plays like that are exactly what they are trying to take out of the game.

Here are the facts:
1. Hunt was no longer in possession of the puck
2. The contact came from out of the Hunt's sight line (if you are going to finish your check, go shoulder to shoulder from the front of the player)
3. The contact impact and target was Hunt's head (Grayson didn't hit him with his shoulder, he raised his arm up to head level to hit him)
4. History. Second head shot in less than a year.

Result:
Five game suspension to Grayson
Hunt not playing again until after Christmas

I have not seen Grayson play enough to have an opinion on his play. But this 'lack of respect' for the oppontent needs to be addressed more seriously at all levels of hockey.

As for your comment of a 'softer' game. These are kids!!! They have a life in front of them. Concussions screw you up bad and has a lifetime affect. I have no desire to go to games to watch 17 year old kids get hit and unable to get up from the ice. That is not hockey.

patsdude114
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I agree fully with witness on this 1 the hit happened right below me on the pats blueline on the penalty box side if u think this type of hit belongs in hockey in todays world of media with today knowledge of head injuries & the long term effects they have then u r not a fan of the game to begin with & just go watch UFC

I havenheard how long Hunt is out for, has it been stated he is out til xmas time? Or is that just an assumption?

dagley
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Grayson is a douche, all he did was run around in Brandon trying to injure guys. It's a shame Ferland wasn't around to knock him out.

mjw22
10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Grayson is a douche, all he did was run around in Brandon trying to injure guys. It's a shame Ferland wasn't around to knock him out.

suspensions aren't a deterrent but a good old fashioned ass kicking might be. The stupid instigator rule protects guys who take cheap shots and all teams have one or more.Branch is on a mission to turn the CHL into yankee college hockey (its where the big wuss played )and Robison eagerly follows along. Every year the number of suspensions increases for head shots hits from behind proving it doesnt stop them from doing it. Branch & Bettman the two worst things to ever happen to hockey.

Lucic
10-17-2012, 04:55 PM
But this 'lack of respect' for the oppontent needs to be addressed more seriously at all levels of hockey.

I agree. But hockey leagues all over are "addressing" this problem the wrong way. Suspensions and fines are not going to solve the issue. Accountability on the ice will. And that is becoming harder and harder with all the strict rules against fighting.

As for your comment of a 'softer' game. These are kids!!! They have a life in front of them. Concussions screw you up bad and has a lifetime affect. I have no desire to go to games to watch 17 year old kids get hit and unable to get up from the ice. That is not hockey.

Spare me with the "kids" statement. Most of the players are on the cusp of adulthood or by law officially adults. At this point in their lives they aren't playing hockey just for fun. The are playing at a very competitive level for a potential career in pro hockey. Injuries, including concussions are inevitable. I don't want to see players get hurt either. But in a contact sport it's going to happen one way or another.

As far as the softer game comment I don't think there is any question the sport is a lot more soft than the sport I grew up watching.

Either way I don't think the Grayson hit was that bad. There were several major penalties handed out on that night that were much worse. Specifically the Vanstone hit in the Prince Albert and Moose Jaw game. To me it looked like Grayson was trying to make contact on Hunt and at the last minute he realized the only way he could make contact is by extending his arms and hitting him up high. I'm not surprised he got suspended and I'm not saying that he shouldn't have. But five years ago that is a 2 minute penalty at most. That is my point.

Lucic
10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I agree fully with witness on this 1 the hit happened right below me on the pats blueline on the penalty box side if u think this type of hit belongs in hockey in todays world of media with today knowledge of head injuries & the long term effects they have then u r not a fan of the game to begin with & just go watch UFC

I could just as easily say the same to you. If you are so afraid of players getting injured go watch golf or bowling. How about that? That work for you?

Players get injured on clean hits as well. So I guess those should be banned because of the potential long term side effects?

Lucic
10-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Just to refresh my memory I went back and watched the hit a few more times.

Here are the facts:
1. Hunt was no longer in possession of the puck

Hunt just passed the puck prior to being hit. So this statement is invalid. There was nothing wrong with the actual timing of the hit.

2. The contact came from out of the Hunt's sight line (if you are going to finish your check, go shoulder to shoulder from the front of the player)

This is also false. Hunt did have his head up prior to getting the puck and Grayson was in his sight lines. In fact Hunt tried to slip by Grayson by moving closer to the boards at the last minute before Grayson extended his arms to make contact with Hunt.

3. The contact impact and target was Hunt's head (Grayson didn't hit him with his shoulder, he raised his arm up to head level to hit him)

No argument here.

4. History. Second head shot in less than a year.

Grayson was suspended previously for a head shot? Are you sure about that? He was suspended once before for a charging major. Now are you just assuming that was a head shot because of what happened here?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-17-2012, 06:53 PM
do its hunts fault the guy went head hunting on him? wow i thought i heard everything before.... this is the 1st time in his hockey career he has ever had a concession problem & his 1st time being injuried with it was from a fight when his head hit the ice.

Hunt being a smaller guy keeps his head on a swivle pretty good if u ask me, he doesnt take many hits... i truely cant believe i just read what u posted when the kid was blind sided with a elbow, & this is the 2nd time already this grayson kid has been suspended for this type of hit... i also think that i guess it was AJ Johnson's fault too that Hunt last year hit him in the head as well & gave him a concession as well.. not that i was Hunt's fault for being wreckless??

I hate when people take these terms like head hunting, blindsides, etc out of proportion. I know its a softer day in age but people honestly need to get there **** straight.

Now, I wanted to say that theres this thing we are all familar with called physics, and it applies to hockey too. Grayson is a big guy...lets say 6'2 and solid, while Hunt is a bean pole and stands at 5'10(if that). Sometimes hits end up this way not because of some nefarious intentions, but because of many other variables that factor in...including size difference, positioning, timing, and notably the fact that alot of players put themselves in vulnerable positions all the time, sometimes even on purpose. Im not saying Hunt did that, however it still does happen. My main point is that the aggressor should not shoulder all of the blame every single time something like this happens.

Also, I bolded the one excerpt there because that is just plain false. According to Greg Harder, it is Hunt's fourth in the last four years. Hunt himself said he suffered one in midget. With that history, I can see why they are going to be careful with him.

lordstanley
10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Regina Pats acquire forward Colten Mayor and defenseman Stephen Hak for a 4th round and conditional 6th round draft picks

patsdude114
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Great yet another lefty added into our forward group lmao I like Mayor he has some upside & will strengthen our 93 age group as well. Hak is only the 2nd 94 on our backend but at least Hak has some experience which helps.

With adding 2 players who is on the way out? Be it via trade or a reassignment? Hunt is hurt tho so I guess Mayor will soften the blow to that so I guess for the time no 1 has to go, any word how long Hand is hurt for?

patsdude114
10-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I could just as easily say the same to you. If you are so afraid of players getting injured go watch golf or bowling. How about that? That work for you?

Players get injured on clean hits as well. So I guess those should be banned because of the potential long term side effects?

OMG ouch that hurts so much.... did i say anything about being afraid to see players get hurt? Noo dont think i did, did i?

& yes players get hurt on clean hits as well only difference is/was this WAS NOT A CLEAN HIT lmao

go back to ur giants thread where no 1 posts

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Im on his side here. It gets really annoying to hear new fans/their ilk saying things like "go watch UFC if you want to see fighting", or "this isnt the 70s anymore', or 'blah blah blah safety'...as if they were here first and that they have the high ground.

It all comes from limp wristed businessmen like branch and bettman, some "proactive owners", and their pet media for having perpetuated the illusion that baby proofing the game is a mainstream attitude. These entitled new fans then get the idea that the old school ones should actually be the ones to move on to something else instead of themselves, when its more logical that the people who were there first should get the right of way.

I mean, womens hockey or ringette is basically the same sort of idea just without the 'awful' physical aspect they despise. If they really cared about the game more than getting their way, they'd be fine with that, but clearly thats not the case.

mjw22
10-18-2012, 07:47 PM
They can all p**s off and go watch Euro hockey or find a no hit league to support. OH crap thats what we watch.:burningmad:

Lucic
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
OMG ouch that hurts so much.... did i say anything about being afraid to see players get hurt? Noo dont think i did, did i?

& yes players get hurt on clean hits as well only difference is/was this WAS NOT A CLEAN HIT lmao

I don't know exactly what you were trying to say since it's rather difficult to comprehend whatever nonsense you are spewing. It's clear you are a new era hockey fan so obviously you won't be able to understand or discuss the topic at hand.

I never said the Grayson hit was clean. I said it wasn't nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I've seen a lot worse, not even penalized at all.

patsdude114
10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
It has nothing to do with new era hockey at all, i like the rough stuff just like the next guy, watch a good fight here & there. Play the game how its meant to be within the rules but yet still respecting ur opponent as well.

The problem with todays game is all the social media, video cameras at every single game, always under the knife for anything that may happen & then the media blowing it up bigger then it actually ever was. Things happened alot worse back in the day far worse then whatever happens in todays game. But also not everything was caught on tape back then either so alot of it went unnoticed unless u attended the game.

Seeing a guy like Barry Melrose in the stands beating up a fan is not part of hockey, seeing Bertuzzi jump Moore from behind does not belong in any sport either, or what about McSorley's slash to the head ya thats all part of the game & the heat or moment too isnt it?

Cant we watch hockey that puts on the display of the skill of what these kids have instead of always going back to the old days where "the game was played tougher" Most players even back as far as 10yrs ago werent good skaters for todays game let alone going back 20 yrs or more. We could still have the goon type players in todays game as well but the fact is they cant skate to keep up.

Back in the day medical info wasnt as good as it is today either, players played hurt be it a concession or other injuries when today they wouldnt be allowed too. At the age of kids we are watching its not worth it for them to play with a concession, why risk ur health for a game it really isnt worth it just to say u r tough?

This whole thread has turned into a gong show as soon as u posted in here Lucic....good for u old man ur from the old days :clap: i hear there are lots of old school games on TV now like 2 weeks ago from the 1972 summit series... i hope u taped them so u can watch them & remember what "hockey used to be" i watched 3 of the games & they were the most boring games i have watched in a long time.

mjw22
10-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Patsdude players now for the most part at the CHL & NHL level are all speed no skill or toughness. Look how many players at either level can pass or score. There are hardly any 50 goal 100 pt players followed by 30 & 40 goal players on every team. Used to be the top line had 40-60 goal players 2nd line 30-40 3rd line 20-30 . Now if you have 3 -4 guys with 30 + goals you have a power house. The speeds gone up skills gone down due to systems expansion etc. No one wants a return to goons and brawls but us "old guys" remember when scoring passing and bodychecking were as important as speed.I would rather watch a slower game that had passing scoring off the rush and a few board rattling hits than this high speed chip and chase no hit hockey that is played at all levels.IF this new version is so great how come there hasnt been a huge jump in ave attendance . The Pats ave is probably less per game now than in the 70's and 80's. dont say more to spend entertainment $ on because if this game was so entertaining ppl would be filling the seats.:groovy:

Lucic
10-18-2012, 11:36 PM
It has nothing to do with new era hockey at all, i like the rough stuff just like the next guy, watch a good fight here & there. Play the game how its meant to be within the rules but yet still respecting ur opponent as well.

Fair enough. But realistically you have to accept that sometimes that last part you mentioned isn't going to happen. In such a heated physical sport like hockey, occasionally lines get crossed and incidents happen. That is the nature of the beast. It isn't possible to play hard and always abide by the rules.

The problem with todays game is all the social media, video cameras at every single game, always under the knife for anything that may happen & then the media blowing it up bigger then it actually ever was. Things happened alot worse back in the day far worse then whatever happens in todays game. But also not everything was caught on tape back then either so alot of it went unnoticed unless u attended the game.

Very much agree with you here. No argument from me whatsoever.

Seeing a guy like Barry Melrose in the stands beating up a fan is not part of hockey, seeing Bertuzzi jump Moore from behind does not belong in any sport either, or what about McSorley's slash to the head ya thats all part of the game & the heat or moment too isnt it?

Barry Melrose? Do you mean Mike Milbury? Anyway, yes I do believe that is part of the sport. Not fundamentally of course, but it is a by-product of how the game is played. It doesn't happen all the time (and that's a good thing) but questionable incidents like that are inevitable. The raw emotion and passion in hockey is unlike any other sport. And sometimes **** is going to hit the fan so to speak. Maybe in an ideal world nothing like that would ever happen. But needless to say that isn't reality.

Cant we watch hockey that puts on the display of the skill of what these kids have instead of always going back to the old days where "the game was played tougher" Most players even back as far as 10yrs ago werent good skaters for todays game let alone going back 20 yrs or more. We could still have the goon type players in todays game as well but the fact is they cant skate to keep up.[/quote]

This is where you and I differ. I don't want just a skilled game. That is boring, IMO. And I don't believe that kind of product would sell world wide. I agree the the average skill set of players today is far superior than it once was largely due to training, fitness and advancement in equipment, etc. That said, none of that necessarily makes the game "better". If anything it hurts the game. The speed of the game has caused more harm than it has good. And tough guys are going extinct not because they can't keep up. It's because the rules have changed to clamp down on those players being able to do their job. And because of that the game has suffered on a number of different levels. It isn't a coincidence that virtually all hockey leagues have tried to crack down on fighting and enforcers and yet concussions and cheap shots have become more rampant all over.

This whole thread has turned into a gong show as soon as u posted in here Lucic....

This thread was already a gong show with exaggeration and false information long before I posted. I felt I had to set the record straight.

good for u old man ur from the old days :clap: i hear there are lots of old school games on TV now like 2 weeks ago from the 1972 summit series... i hope u taped them so u can watch them & remember what "hockey used to be" i watched 3 of the games & they were the most boring games i have watched in a long time.

You wouldn't know entertaining hockey if it punched you in the face. You sound just like a typical new hockey fan. Go ahead and enjoy your no passion, no hitting hockey league.

All I know is throughout the 70's 80's and even 90's hockey areas were packed across North America. The NHL was never more popular than it was in the 80's. Nowadays you couldn't even give away an NHL ticket in many markets. I know the media loves to pretend that the NHL is more popular than ever now but that is complete crap. The league is in shambles and has alienated a large portion of their core fan base.

patsdude114
10-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Patsdude players now for the most part at the CHL & NHL level are all speed no skill or toughness. Look how many players at either level can pass or score. There are hardly any 50 goal 100 pt players followed by 30 & 40 goal players on every team. Used to be the top line had 40-60 goal players 2nd line 30-40 3rd line 20-30 . Now if you have 3 -4 guys with 30 + goals you have a power house. The speeds gone up skills gone down due to systems expansion etc. No one wants a return to goons and brawls but us "old guys" remember when scoring passing and bodychecking were as important as speed.I would rather watch a slower game that had passing scoring off the rush and a few board rattling hits than this high speed chip and chase no hit hockey that is played at all levels.IF this new version is so great how come there hasnt been a huge jump in ave attendance . The Pats ave is probably less per game now than in the 70's and 80's. dont say more to spend entertainment $ on because if this game was so entertaining ppl would be filling the seats.:groovy:

the goals that went in during the 70s & 80s would rarely ever find the back of the net now a days, due to how the goalie pads are made now compared to back then... so that arguement is dead before it even starts... pads back in the 70s & 80s would weight 20LBS or more by the end of the game due to all the water they absorbed thru out the game which is why goalies tried there best not to go on the ice.

Also back in those days defense was an after thought, the name of game back then was just go out there & out score ur opponent. Now it is give up less then what ur opponent allows.

No way a guy like Gretzky puts up anywhere near the numbers he did in todays game with better defenses & much better goaltending. The biggest problem with todays game is the video...teams hire coaches now only for video to teach thru that, learn other teams defenses. The fitness as Lucic also plays into it as well, players back then didnt care about fitness like they do now.

The 2 era's arnt even comparable due to a number of things but 1 thing for certain that is no comparable is the speed of the 2 era's & not even the game speed just the overall speed of the an individual player from point A to point B (which again falls back into the fitness & equipment of today)

Also i dont believe at all that the skill level has gone down & there is a very easy arguement with it as well...as MJW22 stated it

The speeds gone up skills gone down due to systems expansion etc.

the speed alone & the moves & plays these kids can do at such high speeds showcases there skill level alone.... U watched prob the fastest player in the WHL all last season in Howden without skill his blazing speed would of meant nothing, if u cant control the puck at high speeds ur speed is useless... I remember a few times during Howden's time in MJ u mentioning to me a goal he scored the other nite with his speed & what not.... but in reality if he didnt have the skill to control the puck at such a high speed he wouldnt of been able to score as many goals as he was capable of...

There are alot of things debateable from both era's yes players back then were tougher as u had to be to play with all the goons in the game....heck even just ur everyday living kids now a days (even from when i was kid not mentioning people older then me in there time) r weaker then when i was kid.

RWAH
10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
I did not want to get into this discussion but I also think we have a hard time comparing one era to another is the teams now are more evenly skilled. That is all players from your top line to your fourth line have very equal talent level. And equal phisical fitness. Lastly the coaching and systems are much better now than past eras.