PDA

View Full Version : One Person's Opinion - Blades Overview up to October 19, 2012

pthlcommish
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
So, this will be my 2nd ever post. Enjoy it. I'll try and post regularly. I love to argue as well...

As an intro, I am an avid hockey fan on all levels, most importantly NHL, junior, and of course, the teams my 2 boys play on. We have seasons tickets for our family this year and I'll likely get a chance to see 80% of the games at least.

So far, I've seen 4 of 5, including the 5-2 loss to PA, the 10-1 beating by SC, the 4-0 snoozer against Portland, and finally the 3-2 OT win over Tri-City. I was also at the exhibition game in Warman against PA. That's the best night of hockey I've seen so far.

Trades to date:
- bluntly, I'm not a fan of Walker - yes, might be a character guy with a chip on his shoulders and solid offensively, but my gut tells me he's offensive-minded like Sutter - when he's got a better offensive player on his line
- on the fence about the McColgan deal sending Ryan Olsen away - I get it - we get a quick, skilled offensive guy that we need, but he's having trouble adjusting right now...hopefully he comes along...and quits trying to fight
- love seeing Astles, wish he would play more - yes, he's taking the odd dumb penalty, but the guy has a very smooth, powerful skating stride, can handle the puck, and shoot it
- I'm ok with Kambeitz, he seems to mesh ok with Sutter and Walker
- wasn't sure if I like seeing Cox waived, although my only other option would have been Nicholls...in retrospect after Nicholls' start, it was the right choice, although we REALLY need a lefty on the PP point still
- no opinion yet on Benson leaving for Craig

Offense:
Argue with me if you wish, but it appears that we have 1 first-line and 2 second-lines
- McColgan-Stransky-Nicholls is undoubtedly the top-line, but compared to the rest of the league, could only be considered as an "average" top-3, and it falls below average when Stransky's head isn't in the game - when that happens, both McColgan and Nicholls skate 40 miles in a night and get nowhere
- Sutter-Kambeitz-Walker, if they can score, might be the best 2nd/3rd (2 1/2 line) line in the league - I know they're carrying second line weight, but none of the 3 is proven to be an offensive threat on their own
- McEvoy-Zajac-Stovin is my favorite line to watch - always banging, always skating, and generating chances - but again, a greater energy line (caught between 2nd and 3rd line) than the vets on the line above but still inconsistent offense
- the 4th line, whichever guys are playing on it - Revel, Graham, Astles, Harland - are OK, they work hard - btw, I like Revel and his upside, but he looks slow/scared right now
- we have the weakest forecheck I've seen in years...

Defense:
Our defense should have been the bragging point of the team this year with the original big-4 expected to carry the load in Siemens, Thrower, Dietz, and Cox..
- Siemens has either been real good or real bad and is missing the chip on his shoulder...no one seems scared of his this year
- Dietz has been solid
- Thrower has been "ok" at best, when he's not suspended
- thought Cox was the best of the 4 in the first handful of games...
- Pufahl should likely top out on the 3rd pairing but has appeared ok on the PP even with a lack of speed
- Lernout has struggled in my opinion
- Nogier has played ok on the bottom pairing
- Schmidt has looked ok as well, might be a better fit on the 2nd pairing

Goaltending:
- Makarov has been "ok", Moodie not so much, although I think the problems on the back-end have contributed to both goaltenders' slow starts

Overall:
- The first 4 games - good or bad - maybe have been the most boring games I've seen in a long time
- the 1-1-3 defensive system Molleken is using HAS to be a result of not having the best offensive firepower and it almost puts me to sleep - we're waiting for the other team to make mistakes and capitalize on them - it might be effective in the long run, but it's REALLY BORING - you can sense it in the fans each night - no big hits, no offensive jump, no forecheck - the fans are nodding off...
- the forecheck, because of that, appears non-existent, and generates nothing - yes, we can play the body and make hits, but not effective enough ones
- our defense doesn't hit much - Thrower being the exception - and they can all skate with the puck, but we've been a HUGE disappoinment this year on the back end. No real intensity - playing mad/stupid isn't intense
- our breakout has been lazy...the wingers playing on the side boards in the neutral zone aren't moving...so how is a defenseman expected to pass to a pylon...all momentum on the forecheck/dump-in is lost unless the D carries it in
- we REALLY need a left-handed shot on the PP, playing 4 righties including 2 on the point has made our passing look terrible
- we REALLY need a guy like Astles to park his ass in front of the net on the PP
- in my opinion only dressing room issues are the elephant in the corner - my personal feelings aside about Walker (mentioned above) - whether he was the right choice for the C or not, the fact either Molleken OR Walker ignored Siemens as an A even is mind-blowing - if it's Walker, it's sheer stupidity...Siemens can say what he wishes to the press...it would piss me off too...it's like telling him he's not a recognized leader anymore...sure it could motivate him, but they're all still kids...confidence is everything...STUPID CHOICE TO EXCLUDE HIM whether you like him or not

I could go on...I welcome the feedback and comments and arguments. I'll be in attendance tomorrow night against Everett to comment on progress.

ValmarJohnson
10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
I think you are bang on with most of your comments, except I am pretty pleased so far with the play of McColgan. Olsen had a ton of potential, but he was a slacker for most of last season, so I am not sorry to see him gone. The same thing applies to Benson this season; I think that trade will work out to be a positive one. I don't like the defensive scheme being used either; makes for boring hockey unless the opposition makes a lot of mistakes, which most don't. No wonder there are no high scorers in Blade ranks.