PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Winterhawks 9 - Nov 9, 2012

dondo
11-10-2012, 03:38 AM
It looks like the Giants didn't play the full game, they had goals and chances to take it, but it appears as if Portland turned on the after-burners and blew the boys away. Giants have got to make sure they don't give up back-to-back (esp quick) goals. Those have been killing them.

Details please folks

Hawks Rake Giants
Vancouver 5 Portland 9

I did not see or hear this one, but from the stats it looked like a barn burner, until Vancouver decided to allow four unanswered goals in the third. Again both of our young goalies were equally shelled and it appears as if they had little assistance in their own end of the ice. The Giants discovered that they could compete with Portland, until they couldn't. It helps the boys were facing a back-up 'tender, but the number of shots they got was pretty embarrassing. You ain't gonna win with 5 shots in the first and a measly 4 shots in the third. The Giants allowed Portland to take 51 shots and for a team that has been doing well limiting shots this season, this is telling. So we saw how we stacked up against the best and in the push back we folded like a cheap suit. Also some quick goals and I think that has more to do with our lack of focus and not necessarily Portland talent.

Anthony Ast opened the scoring 3:50 into the game. Wes Vannieuwenhuzien and Blake Orban got the helpers. Portland responded with three unanswered to round out the period. Trevor Cheek started the climb back 6:27 into the middle frame. Carter Popoff and Jackson Houck with the assists. Cheek added one more on the PP a short time later, tying the game at 3s. Brett Kulak had the lone helper. Portland responded a few minutes later scoring two in 11 seconds and by the minuses I am willing to bet a lazy give-away by Brett Kulak... but that's just an informed guess. Credit Vancouver for battling back in the third to tie the game 5-5. Marek Tvrdon got the first marker very early, assisted by Kale Kessy and Carter Popoff got one at about the 4 min mark. Portland responded a few minutes later with two quick ones less than 30 seconds apart. The visitors added a couple of late boot to the balls goals just to make a point. One of which coming on the PP.

The Giants were out shot 51-20. They went 1 for 3 with the man-advantage, while coughing up 2 for 5. Majority of penalties of the roughing variety. I'd love to hear what kind of actual infractions were called in this one and what they looked like on the ice at the time. Trevor Cheek had 3 points and was even on the night. Orban was a +1, while Kulak a -4. Both Kulak and Orban had one assist. Popoff was the only other plus on the team (+1). I know plus/minus can be a bogus stat, but it's not a bad touchstone for a general average on a game by game basis and if a player is consistently plus or minus that has farther reaching impact.

Next Up: The Cougars come to town on Sunday the 11th. I guess Remembrance Day on a weekend does not constitute a tilt versus the Royals. They continue to be middling so they are doable challenge for the boys and maybe get the two green netminders a bit of confidence back.

Three Stars

1. Seth Jones
2. Nicholas Petan
3. Trevor Cheek

Dondo's Hardhat: to Cheek - best numbers and seemed to be contributing well at both ends by the numbers. And he got a third star.