PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Cougars 3 OT/SO - Nov 11, 2012

dondo
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
A Remembrance Day tilt not against the Bruins/Royals

Giants Clip Cougs
Vancouver 4 Prince George 3 OT/SO

This is another recap from stats sheet only. I have no idea what actually happened during this game, but I can guess. Hopefully not being so busy or out of town in the next while will enable me to write recaps based upon what I see or at least hear. The Giants allowed themselves to be badly out shot in this one. They lead 3-1 going into the third period, but had to pull out a long and tough shoot-out win going 7 groups of shooters deep.

PG opened the scoring in the game 36 seconds off the drop of the puck. Shades of recent games must have been lurking in the boy’s minds. It took most of the period before 16 yr old Taylor Vickerman notched his first WHL tally. Mason Geertson and Kale Kessy getting the helpers. Trevor Cheek off of Anthony Ast and Wes Vannieuwenhuizen on the PP put the G’s up by one before the end of the opening frame. Riley Kieser added another Giants goal early on in the second giving the home boys a 3-1 bulge. Wes Vannieuwenhuizen got his second point and Brett Kulak got the helper on the play. PG replied in the third with two (very late) unanswered goals - (less than 30 seconds apart – gotta stop doing that boys) - tying the game and forcing OT. PG was kept off the scoresheet on the PP though and it was a good thing as Payton Lee was forced to turn away 37 of 40 shots, possibly the most shots a Giants goalie has faced this season. If this doesn’t give him some confidence I don’t know what will. Jackson Houck, Brett Kulak and Carter Popoff all scored during the shootout, with Popoff getting the clincher for the win.

The Giants were out shot 40-27. The home squad were 1 for 4 with the man advantage while the Cougars went 0 for 6. By the numbers the Giants should not have won this one, but it would nice to know the story of the game itself. Did Lee need to stand on his head to make those saves, or were they just part of a barrage of shots from the outside. The boys allowed a lot of shots in their own end, but did they allow the kind of quality shots they have given up in small amounts previously? Lee got the first star, but was that more about volume or was he at his best and giving his team the best chance to win despite being shelled?

Three Stars

1. Payton Lee
2. Jari Erricson
3. Brett Kulak

Dondo’s Hardhat: Payton Lee – sheer number of saves and a good building block game for him to work from.

johnnyradiant
11-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know if Lee was at his best but he looked light years better than the game before. I'm hoping he is going to get even better.

Still not sure how come they decided to let the game go into OT but that's done. Oh wait it's a rebuilding year we weren't supposed to win.