PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell

RWAH
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I know it is early for this question, but the last thread is now more about past and future trades than a discussion of 20 year olds.

IMO this team with its current rooster will not chalange for the Divisiom or conference title this season.

IMO you build contenders starting 3 or 4 years ahead so that would be the 2014/15 and the 2015/16 seasons. Moose Jaw, Edmonton, Vancouver, Portland, Kamloops all did it the old fashion way and that starts from draft picks. Not only do you need good picks yourself but you need some to trade in the final push. Last year Moose Jaw traded 2 first round and 2 second round at the January deadline and IMO if their goalie had stayed hot and Edmonton goalie had been normal (look at the Memorial cup games) the league final would have been MJ and Portland.

Calgary is in that process and have gathered for the 2013 draft 10 picks in the first 6 rounds. I am sure these picks will be used for trades this January

With that in mind this season 17 year olds will be 19 in the 2014/15 season and they are (Klimchuk, Hand, Williams, Burroughs, Hunt and McLean) a very solid group, 16 year olds will be 18 in 2014/15 (Brooks, Ortynsky and Mumby) and current 16 year old prospect. On defence Eric Donald (wants to go the ncaa route) Chase Harrison, Nikolas Koberstein and Ken Nordstrom, Forwards Dana Schioler and Kyle Westeringh. 15 year old prospect are. On D Brendan Kallis, James Hilsendager, Brady Reagen as forwards Ryker Cole, Drew Litwin, Jared McAmmond, Angus Scott, Austin Wagner and Rylee Zimmer

IMO that is a good core of players and prospects for the 2014/15 and the 2015/16 seasons.

The Pats have not had a first round draft pick for the last two seasons. I for one did not agree with the Marincin trade. I agree that the players need to experience play off hockey, but to trade draft picks to just make the playoffs only sells the future for 5 games against Moose Jaw

Once again IMO this season the Pats should be seller at the trade deadline. That was my opinion last year as well, but I am not the GM, which is a lot better for the team

As always looking forward to others opinions

RWAH
11-18-2012, 09:45 PM
I should have mentioned that last year at the trade deadline we were between 3rd and 6th, this year we look to be lower in the standings. We are only one point from a tie for 2nd in the division but that is 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th in the conference.