PDA

View Full Version : New Media Guy - Brook Ward (Terrible)

N.W. Bruin
11-19-2012, 09:36 AM
This is a bad choice by the Giants. Basically the guy doesn't give a hoot about the Giants. Heck there isn't any press release on the Giants' website about the game in Everett. First time in over 900 plus games that there wasn't a mention of the game.

dondo
11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Brook Ward has been a commentator for awhile now, but he's now their media guy? Usually the play by play guy takes on those duties. There needs to be a recap of every game or the team is in danger of sinking back into the dark days of the bad web-sites and spotty reporting.

I find the team not seeming to be willing to invest in a proper media person who has the team in his best interest distressing. This is especially important during a rebuild time when the team needs informed coverage that explains the kind of process every WHL franchise has to go through now and again. It's essential that the coverage be even better and more in-depth now than when the team is doing well and has their own momentum.

I heard rumour that Joey Kenward wanted his position back, but asked for too much money? I don't know if this is true, but I do know that having a road play by play guy and a different home play by play guy waters down the product and sends the wrong message.

The deal with TEAM seems a compromise at best and if/when the Canucks come back the Giants will become the unwanted cousin TEAM will shuffle under the rug and begrudingly consent to broadcast their games (somewhere on the dial) if they must.

Giantsfan
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Brook Ward has been the pre game & post game host, as well as the intermission host for at least 4 years now. He also has done a little color man work when there was either a Shaw game or Bill Wilms couldn't make it.

I find him excellent. He used to go to the NW Bruin games & brings some nostalgia as well as a decent sense of humor to the broadcast. He's a fan of old time hockey & he's been following the Giants for a long enough time that he somewhat knows what he's talking about.

As for the radio deal...don't get me started. I've already posted my thoughts on that. :burningmad:

johnnyradiant
11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Why is it that the span of media guys is now getting to the point where they are changed mid-season?

Is it a don't know how to hire thing that they realize afterwards or is it a terrible position to have in the organization?

The frequent changes combined with the dial surfing make the organization on the whole look less and less credible.

I get the cycle on the ice but all the other stuff we see from the 'snow crew' who frequently have a couple that can't skate or don't know how to push and shovel the snow off the ice, to some of the things like the slingshot being a joke all they way up to the organization's go-between changes for them and the public. Everything away from the the actual hockey looks more and more hoky each season.

I will often take a look at Drinnan's blog to find out some info on the league, conference, division or even stuff that I haven't seen on the Giants when he doesn't even cover them. Too bad the Giant's can't get a guy to cover there own team 1/2 has much as he does. I think he gave significantly more coverage of the Everett game than the Giants did.

N.W. Bruin
11-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I have a feeling that the team will not put anything up as no one is covering the road games. Alex was on the road doing PBP so he did write ups on Giants' website. Doubt any of the other PBP guys who now cover the road games will and likely Brook Ward will not as doesn't see games.

dondo
11-20-2012, 11:35 PM
^ that's pretty low rent - something is better than nothing and agian when they need to be giving the fans and potential fans more information and clarification they back off and fail. For one of the top 4 earning franchises this is simply bad business and it feels like they don't care.

johnny the ice scaper/snow crew are entirely volunteer so they get what they get, but being able to skate shoudl be a factor -- if you can't skate you better be damn cute :p

frightening that you'll have to rely on my interpretations for your game recap news :rolleyes:;)

Giantsfan
11-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Steve Ewen gives all his attention to the Giants & has done the occasional nearby road trips. He has articles on the Giants quite often.

The intermission games never bother me as I'm usually not watching them. There is only so much a team can do during the intermission. I think you are really stretching your complaints when you are not happy with the people who scrape the ice at the 10 minute mark.

Alex was fired because of some internal issues that I am not going to mention. I don't know all the details but I know a few things he did are unacceptable & for those reasons he was shown the door. I can't blame the Giants for doing this.

Priceisright
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Very dissappointed in the giants organization! Seems like its getting messy from a business aspect as well their "horrible" win loss record.

Whats wrong with them? Ive been a season ticket holder for years. Sad.

johnnyradiant
11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
The intermission games never bother me as I'm usually not watching them. There is only so much a team can do during the intermission. I think you are really stretching your complaints when you are not happy with the people who scrape the ice at the 10 minute mark.

I don't go to the games for the intermission content. I am only saying that the product they used to put out was done better. I'd be just as happy if they scraped the ice with enough time for it to be good and solid for the start of the period. I think it is something the fans see as an extension of the organization, and when it is done poorly and the media guys desk gets his name in masking tape because of constant changes it doesn't paint the organization as organized. So this guy was shown the door for his actions, that's fine but we seem to go through them too frequently, change dials too frequently too.

The radio show about sports business. The name and host's name escapes me. I don't listen to it very often.... Last year I got a show where they had rated all the sports teams in Vancouver. Through polls and firsthand experience they rated the teams on a # of aspects. The Giants came dead last in the areas that surround the fan experience. I at first, with biased cap on thought no, maybe a step or two up, but came to realize that it probably was a fair comparison after a couple outing to 'Caps and C's. I don't think the Giants have done anything to improve that perception with their product. Less would be the simplest improvement.

I'm all for watching them play and improve next year and the next.

Priceisright
11-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I was in Everett last month for a game and they have a very good game experience!!

Good fans down there as well with some quirky things during the game.

Giantsfan
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
The radio deal along with constant changes to either the station they are on, or new pbp guys almost every season is a joke.

But, nobody can complain about the on ice product. They won 5 division titles, the WHL & the Mem Cup. Not many teams can boast that type of record.

The Giants are a first class organization & treat their fans, the loyal ones like gold. We have been nothing but impressed with the way they go about things & it's one of the reasons why we continue to be season ticket holders.

As for this informal poll, well, those polls mean absolutely nothing.

Priceisright
11-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Agree with the on ice product. Dissillusioned with their office/pr.