PDA

View Full Version : Unisex locker rooms

Willis on the Welfare
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_hockey-locker20050712

This was posted on the white board. What do you the more intelligent posters of whlfans think of this story?

The_Vulk
07-18-2005, 06:08 PM
As the article says, SHE is allowed into the dressing room 15 minutes prior to game time, and that when it comes time to the shower, they (SHE) the minority gender would have to leave the room.

Separate change rooms have nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with avoiding the possibility of harassment (both to the minority and the others in the room).

This is once the players are in the league of 11 years+ olds. For before then, the players don't need to shower/get completely undress.

That a B.C. mother is demanding that her 14-year-old daughter be allowed to change in the same locker room (and possible nudity from the males and the females on the teams) just shows how little the mother cares about the cares of the parents of the boys (and having their children being exposed to a teenage female's nude body, or their embaressment, the onset of puberty, etc.)

Does that mother think the world is already like the film "Starship Troopers" and their unisex showers, etc.

The league is doing the right thing. If they are forced to allow this, and something happens, then guess whom the mother is going to blame? Not her for forcing it, nor her daughter for being in it, but the league and the boys for not protecting her (which is exactly what they are doing, with the policy of separate change rooms).

If someone is charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and involving a minor in obscene acts (boys will be boys, and can be very indecent too) should not the mother then so be charged with that, or other similar charges?

Chipper
07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
This is just crazy, :confused: What kind of Mother would want to have he daughter undressing and showering with the boys Sounds like her Mother wants her to be the most popular girl in town. The boys will love her in the dressing room. :evil: Glad its not my daughter.

Number_4
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Now with just skimming the article, and not reading the whole thing, I have to think back on my own experiences. Depending on the rink, I would have to change in anything from a broom closet to the manager's office, or once, in a boarded up old ticket booth. Not once in my entire playing time did I want to change or shower with the boys. I just wanted a changeroom. Usually I showered at home or back at the hotel, which is another hassle. I think my parents were happy rather than sad that I wasnt allowed to change with the boys. I mean, at that age, I think I would rather have not changed at all than with the boys on the team. Teammates vary from year to year, and with any team, it takes a bit to get used to and comfortable with everyone, which does include accepting a girl as a teammate. Dispite this, some boys never really do completly accept a girl. What kind of bubble are these people living in? Im shocked... all for equal treatment, but jeeze, even university dorm showers are same sex only.. lol...

Sput
07-19-2005, 03:13 AM
In our minor hockey association there is a rule that girls must change separately from the boys, but that all players be dressed and ready 15 minutes before the ice time begines. It doesn't matter if the kids are 5 or 18, boys and girls dress separately. In this instance, possibly but doubtfully, the girl is mature enough to deal with totally undressing with her teammates, who are all boys. If asked in a group I also doubt that the boys are going to object as they will want to look "cool" about it, but one on one there would be very few that are comfortable with her being there. I know of a lot of early teenaged boys that aren't comfortable undressing infront of their male teammates let alone having a girl in the room. Another thing to concider is the potential that this would put the coaches in. With the way society is these days I definately would not be coaching that team should the girls mother win this case. The liability and scrutiny you would have would be horrific, and if anything were to happen, be said, or even taken in the wrong context you are screwed for the rest of your life.

HAF
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
The way it looks to me the mother is wanting to cry discrimination as a way to enable herself for a very profitable lawsuit in the near future. I have absolutely no problem with girls playing hockey but I dont see how changing and showering with hormone driven adolescent boys makes her anymore part of the team. I agree with Sput in saying that as an adult male I would want NO part of that situation. Not only would you be opening yourself up to sexual harrasment lawsuits but you would also be liable for anything that might happen by other team members.
I also wouldnt want my son to be put in this situation. All it would take is a simple peak over his shoulder as a curious boy to be labeled a pervert and ridiculed for his curiosity.
I sure hope this doesnt pass. I just dont see it being healthy for the sport in any way.

WHEATMAN
07-19-2005, 12:25 PM
who in there right mind would embarass their daughter by doing this?

Stay-Puft
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I think the mom is a little overboard here :spineyes: . Try to get better accomodations other than a broom closet, go ahead. But to say that its discrimination that she can't change in the same room is ridiculous. This young lady will soon be entering woman-hood and the boys into their puberty years. All the moms of girls that I dated sure wouldn't approve of them undressing/showering/changing in the same room as me (although I did try). There needs to be a point where common sense enters into the equation.

The_Vulk
07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
What someone said in another forum, is that some of the comradery (sp?)comes at those times before and after the game (ie, in the change room).

I found (personally) that I bond more with my fellow players on the bench, during practise, and more specifically, during game time, than while changing.

Wildeyes
07-20-2005, 10:49 PM
i just have to shake my head at this situation, boo-hoo my daughter cant change with the boys, that is against human rights but like everyone else is say what about the parents of all the other kids who will be on her hockey team this coming year. what would they have to say. I had a girl on my hockey team when i played hockey and a team rule was that every one showed up 1 1/2 before game time the first 30mins the girl changed while the us guys stayed outside the room then after the 30 we went in and the girl left we had 30min to get our bottom stuff on then she was alowed to come in the room while we finnished our upper body. we still have 30mins left to shoot the ****e. if she wanted to shower we mand accomodations

kaniksu
07-21-2005, 01:02 AM
That mother is insane. I played hockey for 7-8 years when I was younger and at least 3 years had a female on the team... I felt really bad for them. Constant harassment and sexual tension. There was always jackasses on the team that couldn't handle a girl in there and would make it as miserable as possible for the girl. I mean you got a lot of teenage boys who are all worked up and then throw a girl in the middle of that... lol

Not good. I'm not sure why any parent would push this issue.

Tinner
07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
this is most likely the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. In itself, it deserves no more than a laugh!