PDA

View Full Version : Giants 0 Winterhawks 3 EN - Nov 21, 2012

dondo
11-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Payton Lee had a statement game. It was a shame his team couldn't get him a few goals.

Hawks Blank Giants
Vancouver 0 Portland 3 EN

It’s a little hard to win a game when you don’t score goals and get only 4 shots on net in the second and third periods respectively. Kudos to Payton Lee though, for holding his team in the game as long as he could. Turning away 39 of 41 shots (many of the extremely tough variety) is yeoman work for the 16 year old netminder who had his hands, legs and stick full keeping one of the most potent offenses at bay for the majority of the game. The Giants had a very strong first period, keeping pace with the Winterhawks in play and scoring chances. The Portland squad had one line that was able to solve Lee. In the second and third periods the Giants were held to minimal shots, but the Portland back-up goalie Brendan Burke was challenged despite the low number of shots he faced, mainly in the first period. Trevor Cheek was robbed of two great chances early on when the game was still scoreless.

The Winterhawks opened the scoring coming to the net in numbers with each line member getting a whack at the puck. The resulting rebound bounced out into the open where Ty Rattie backhanded it home. That was the only goal of the first and Lee was pulling out all the tricks, even stacking the pads old school style to thwart a 2 on 1 rush at one point. Nicolas Petan picked the small hole between Lee’s shoulder and the cross-bar to make it 2-1 in the second period. The only goal of the third was off of Petan’s stick as he put home an empty netter with 45 seconds left to play.

Team Notes: Cain Franson was back in the line-up, but was a –2 on the night. Tanner Moar was moved to D for the game. Lee’s record is now 4 and 4, but tonight’s was arguably his best game so far.

Fisticuffs: Scott Cooke v. Joe Mahon – Cooke gave up more than a few inches to Mahon, but gamely hung in there until Mahon got the take-down.

Zebra Cage: Brett Montsion and Brett Iverson ... minimal penalties called – I found the offensive zone hooking call to be suspect, especially eliminating a PP chance. The only one the Giants had in the game. I have found Montsion to be inconsistent in the past, but not sure of his specific performance tonight.

The Giants were badly out shot 42-18. They had a solid 10 shots in the first period but that production dropped off to 4 shots each period for the remainder of the game. Not sure if that was the Giants playing desperate defensive hockey or just not pressing as much as they could have. Credit the Winterhawks for shutting down their end of the ice as well. The Winterhawks went 0 for 3 on their PP, while the Giants went 0 for 1 on their lone shortened PP opportunity. Trevor Cheek continues to get his chances. The Giants need to find offense from somewhere over the next few games if they hope to give themselves a chance versus the better teams in this league. I expected the loss in Portland so that does not surprise me, but it has to be considered a positive to hold them to 2 goals, plus an empty netter and have your young ‘tender basically stand on his head and do back-flips to keep his team in the game.

The team has a few days before heading up to take on the Blazers in Kamloops on Saturday. Yet another rival at the top of the league and one that will prove to be as challenging or more than Portland was tonight. The boys will once again need a full game effort and everyone willing to pay the price to stay close and steal a point or two. The Giants next home game is against Moose Jaw a week today at the Coliseum. Puck drops at 7:00pm.

Three Stars

1. Brendan Burke
2. Payton Lee
3. Nicolas Petan

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to – Payton Lee for a performance over and above expectations and strong confidence building outing. He did everything but win and he can’t really score goals so you can’t blame him for the loss in the least.

Giantsfan
11-22-2012, 06:30 AM
The Giants didn't play a good game but they were in it until the late goal in the 2nd period that made it 2-0.

You can take it as a positive that they were in the game for about 2 periods considering they were badly outshot & outplayed.

I thought Cheek was their best player other than Lee. At least the score was respectable but to not show up isn't a recipe for a win. Sieben also took a very selfish penalty near the end of the 2nd period crosschecking I think Rattie in the side of the head. Portland didn't score on any of their powerplays, including a 2 man advantage when Geertsen joined Sieben in the box.

Lee & the pk were the only bright spots in the game.

Couple days off before they take on the Blazers which won't be easy but hopefully a feistier game than this one.

Lucic
11-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Sieben also took a very selfish penalty near the end of the 2nd period crosschecking I think Rattie in the side of the head.

It was Leipsic.

It was nice to see Lee have a solid outing. Without him this game would have been a blow out. He should have been the first star, IMO despite the loss.