PDA

View Full Version : Joe Sakic

Scout
11-22-2012, 06:36 PM
By Aaron Bell

When Joe Sakic stood at the podium during his Hockey Hall of Fame induction on November 12, it was the culmination of a tremendous career that spanned 21 years in the National Hockey League - all with the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche organization.

The hockey world was recognizing Sakic as truly one of the game's greatest players.

He scored more than 600 goals and 1,600 points in the NHL, won the Stanley Cup twice, played in 13 All-Star Games, set practically every team scoring record for the Avalanche and helped Canada win its first Olympic hockey gold medal in more than 50 years.

But for Sakic, all of those accomplishments came from the confidence that he gained during his junior hockey days playing in the Canadian Hockey League with the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League.

Just one year out of midget hockey, Sakic helped the Broncos enjoy their first season in Swift Current when he scored 60 goals and 133 points as a rookie during the 1986-87 season. He was the 15th overall pick in the NHL Entry Draft that year but felt like he needed another year of junior hockey before he would be ready to play in the world's greatest league.

"I came from midget to one year of junior and if I would have stayed, I wasn't so sure about what kind of ice time I was going to get," Sakic told The Hockey News during the induction weekend. "I just thought that I really wasn't ready. I needed to go back and have another year of junior–- have success there, get stronger."

His plan obviously worked.

During the 1987-88 season in Swift Current, Sakic scored 78 goals and 160 points, was named the CHL's player of the year and helped Team Canada win the gold medal at the World Junior Championship.

"We had success and it was just a tremendous year," Sakic said. "I think by going back and having that year I was a lot more confident going to Quebec the next year."

Sakic was grateful for that tremendous season but later found out that the Nordiques planned on having him play in the NHL that year.

"I talked to (then-GM) Andre Savard about that and later on he said‘ "I was going to have you play with Michel Goulet", Sakic recalled. “And I said "if you had have told me that I would have stayed. I would be crazy to (go back)".”

Sakic was inducted with former teammate Mats Sundin, along with Adam Oates and Pavel Bure.

In his induction speech, Sakic said that playing in Swift Current was the best thing that ever happened to him - as a hockey player and as a person.

"By far the best thing that ever happened to me was going to Swift Current," Sakic said. "I went there to play junior hockey, but it's where I met my future wife (Deb). Honey, you've given me more than you'll ever know. And I couldn't have done any of this without you. I thank you and I love you."

trucker
11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Sakic has always been a class act, and the pride of Swift Current. He still continues down a path, to this day, that all hockey players should immitate. Way to go Joe!

mjw22
11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Sakic has always been a class act, and the pride of Swift Current. He still continues down a path, to this day, that all hockey players should immitate. Way to go Joe!

A class act for sure played the game the right way on and off the ice. I remember when he was battling Theo for the scoring title the can was always a little louder when he was on the ice.The last game SC played in the can that year was one of the loudest I've been too lol I think I lost my voice yelling Sakic Sucks .Kind of fitting they tied although Joe was listed first on goals. One of my favorite NHL players of all time. :)

Scout
11-27-2012, 03:37 AM
I remember that battle also between Theo and Joe. We used to do the same for Theo yelling at him and listening to Pop goes the weasel when he was on the ice. He broke a lot of barriers for the smaller players by showing the little guy can play the big mans game. Joe still comes to Swift Current every summer with his family ( his wife is from here ) and is just Joe. This is now his second home and your right he is pure class even in the community. Always has time for a chat and is always smiling that smile. I remember when he first came to camp he got teased a lot in the dressing room about some day making the N.H.L. and forgetting about all his buddies. All he did was put on that smile. Super role model for all kids and still is. Same can be said for Theo now that he has gotten his life together. Has stepped up to help abused kids and has been a spokesman for them. Both turned out to be class acts.

Scout