PDA

View Full Version : WHL SANCTIONS PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS

CdnSailor
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-sanctions-portland-winterhawks

CALGARY, AB. - The Western Hockey League announced today the disciplinary action which has been taken against the Portland Winterhawks franchise for a series of violations of the WHL Regulations.

As a result of a series of player benefit violations which have occurred over the past four seasons, WHL Commissioner Ron Robison has suspended the Portland Winterhawks from participating in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft and the forfeiture of their first round selections in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 WHL Bantam Drafts. Should the first round selection in 2014 not be available due to a conditional trade, Portland will surrender their second and third round picks in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft. The WHL also announced the Portland Winterhawks have been fined $200,000 and Winterhawks General Manager and Head Coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the balance of the 2012-13 season, including the 2013 WHL Playoffs.

“All WHL Clubs understand they are required to fully comply and respect our League Regulations or they will face significant consequences,” stated WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. “WHL Clubs are required to fully disclose all commitments they make to a player in the WHL Standard Player Agreement. Our independent investigation in this case revealed there were multiple violations over an extended period for player benefits that are not permitted under WHL Regulations and were not disclosed to the WHL. It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.”

The Western Hockey League will not make any further public comments on this matter.

chalk_one_up
11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Excessive tbh.

mjw22
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Way overboard by the league for the infractions involved. Appeal will most likely knock it down a bit.

SectionNDeserter
11-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Excessive, but not WAY excessive. They did allegedly give thousands of dollars to some of the player's parents (in free flights) to recruit them to play there, presumably instead of playing NCAA hockey.

mjw22
11-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Excessive, but not WAY excessive. They did allegedly give thousands of dollars to some of the player's parents (in free flights) to recruit them to play there, presumably instead of playing NCAA hockey.

Probably nothing the NCAA doesnt do to get players to go south.

SectionNDeserter
11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Probably nothing the NCAA doesnt do to get players to go south.Yep, it would appear to be the NCAA's move now.

mjw22
11-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Yep, it would appear to be the NCAA's move now.

If youre only trying to keep players you drafted from going south I dont have a problem with it.Now the NCAA will have a field day with this.

Hockeyfantastic
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Excessive? Maybe not. We will see how Portland fights this. I would think we will never know the specifics of all of the violations and therefore we will have to judge this on Pertland's reaction and future changes to the fines if any.
Needless to say, the governors and GM's of all the WHL teams should consider themselves to be partners. When one partner violates the trust of the partnership, this is the result. There are rules and penalties governing infractions and don't worry, the GM/governor of Portland would have known rules were violated.

patsdude114
11-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Same thing happened in the OHL this past year as well with the Windsor Spitfires. This is not an excessive move at all by the league. I know from the OHL part of it the Windsor Spitfires had gotten a player to not report to the team who drafted him so the Spitfires could trade for his rights & give the family a financal benefit for making it happen....it was 1 of the players from there back to back Memorial Cups that leaked out over time.

It wouldnt surprise me at all if this had something to do with the Seth Jones case, where he wouldnt report to EVT but all of a sudden he gets his rights traded to the portland winterhawks & he reports to them....alittle fishy most definately & him being an american kid it wouldnt surprise me at all if the Winterhawks had paid good money to his family for him to report.

This league nor the CHL doesnt need this sort of stuff happening, a fine like this will make all clubs think twice of doing this sort of thing.....if this happened to a smaller market team like MJ/PA/SC u could kiss there franchise good bye no doub t as they would never recoupe from all those picks being missed. A bigger franchise like Portand will just have to pay alittle more into scouting to make sure there picks after the 1st rd from 2014 & on mean alot more to pick the right players.

west coast
11-29-2012, 01:01 AM
good point on sanctions like this would devastate a small market club - Mike Johnson has done a great job in Portland - he seems like an honest good natured guy who is a brilliant hockey mind and his networking contacts are impressive ad he has coached in the NHL.I would however disagree that Seth Jones parents took any money as his family are rich as Popeye Jones his father played many years in the NBA and his family would be considered rich.I would like the WHL to disclose exactly the violations were? and lets be honest!

Derek Sutton
11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
What follows is a summary of the league’s findings, and a statement from Johnston:

The Winterhawks were found to have committed the following violations:

• A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program

• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland

• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen

• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons

The WHL’s audit found no violations involving monetary payments made to players, their families or agents, or any violations related to the league’s educational packages.

I lifted this from Pat Siedlecki's blog http://canesbroadcaster.blogspot.ca/, it all seems very minor compared to some of the stories many of us have heard about over the years.

buddysixpack
11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
The treatment is harsh and fair. Dont cheat! Problem solved. Good on the WHL as other teams will now respect the rules.

patsdude114
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
• A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program

• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland

• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen

• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons

if those r the only reasons why this punishment was handed out then i definately dont stand behind the WHL in this punishment..... im thinking there is more to it but the Winterhawks dont want to make that public, cuz i know for flights anyways that the pats have paid for there euro parents to come over to see there kids play, now maybe the pats never hid that info from the league since i do recall in the paper a few yrs ago parker saying the team is bringing the parents to regina for a weekend slot of games to watch.

buddysixpack
11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
if those r the only reasons why this punishment was handed out then i definately dont stand behind the WHL in this punishment..... im thinking there is more to it but the Winterhawks dont want to make that public, cuz i know for flights anyways that the pats have paid for there euro parents to come over to see there kids play, now maybe the pats never hid that info from the league since i do recall in the paper a few yrs ago parker saying the team is bringing the parents to regina for a weekend slot of games to watch.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The grease will float to the surface over the next few months.

lordstanley
11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The grease will float to the surface over the next few months.

I do not agree with this punishment at all specially suspending the coach who cares if a couple got cell phones and they flew there parents in to see there kids play ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh huge no no hat is give me a break

buddysixpack
11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I do not agree with this punishment at all specially suspending the coach who cares if a couple got cell phones and they flew there parents in to see there kids play ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh huge no no hat is give me a break

Obviously you condone cheating. I would suggest that we wait for a few weeks/months to see what other crap floats to the surface.The tip of the iceberg is only 10%.

lordstanley
11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Obviously you condone cheating. I would suggest that we wait for a few weeks/months to see what other crap floats to the surface.The tip of the iceberg is only 10%.

Cheating heck no i agree there should be a some kind of punishment but this was way to harsh and to stiff

A big fien should have been good enough

Next time read my whole post before you put a weird comment in

buddysixpack
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Cheating heck no i agree there should be a some kind of punishment but this was way to harsh and to stiff

A big fien should have been good enough

Next time read my whole post before you put a weird comment in

I am really sorry that you didnt agree with my perspective but that is the beauty of a democracy.

trucker
11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Cheating is cheating no matter how you spin it! Any advantage taken like this hurts small market teams. The book that was thrown at the Winterhawks, was thrown in the right direction. I hope these sorts of antics stop in this league. I'd say there is more to this story as well, but either way, Portland was cheating...and justice was served.

lordstanley
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Cheating is cheating no matter how you spin it! Any advantage taken like this hurts small market teams. The book that was thrown at the Winterhawks, was thrown in the right direction. I hope these sorts of antics stop in this league. I'd say there is more to this story as well, but either way, Portland was cheating...and justice was served.

I agree a punishment was deserved let me make that clear and cheating should have no place in this game but i thought the punishment was to stiff a fine would have been fine with me

Just 1 mans opinion take what you will from it

buddysixpack
11-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I agree a punishment was deserved let me make that clear and cheating should have no place in this game but i thought the punishment was to stiff a fine would have been fine with me

The problem with a stiff fine is that it will not hurt the teams abilities,only the owners wallet.If the owner is loaded.200K is a drop in the bucket,most likely a tax write down in the USA. But no first round picks for 5 years will sting the team to the point that the bosses wont try it again.

And with the stacked team acquired through cheating the owner will make easily 200K extra in revenue.

Good job WHL.

lordstanley
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Wow Portland only broke 54 rules only 54 more than the next team here it is lol

http://whl.ca/article/whl-statement-regarding-portland-sanctions

Trav
11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Portland will be fine lol, they haven't had a 1st round 16 pick snce they drafted Petan if im not mistaken.

So they paid flights, ohh thats a big advantage to Portland "sarcasm". Guys, the game is won on the ice, not in the air lol. By the way, the flights were for families that didn't have the money to come and see their son play, so basically the WHL is saying who cares if u dont have the money to see ur son play.

Players also can't have cell phones on the ice either so how is that cheating?

The league is becoming a joke. They pick a city to be the host for the memorial cup cuz they have a big rink (big money) but the team stinks. Now they go after Portland cuz they've been pretty good for the last few years just cuz they pay for flights and hand out a cell phone to the captain of the team, WOW!!!

Honestly, I'd love to see Portland win the WHL championship, love to see the look on Robson's or whatever his name is, face when he hands the trophy to Rutkowski.

lordstanley
11-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Portland will be fine lol, they haven't had a 1st round 16 pick snce they drafted Petan if im not mistaken.

So they paid flights, ohh thats a big advantage to Portland "sarcasm". Guys, the game is won on the ice, not in the air lol. By the way, the flights were for families that didn't have the money to come and see their son play, so basically the WHL is saying who cares if u dont have the money to see ur son play.

The league is becoming a joke. They pick a city to be the host for the memorial cup cuz they have a big rink (big money) but the team stinks. Now they go after Portland cuz they've been pretty good for the last few years just cuz they pay for flights and hand out a cell phone to the captain of the team, WOW!!!

Honestly, I'd love to see Portland win the WHL championship, love to see the look on Robson's or whatever his name is, face when he hands the trophy to Rutkowski.

You are 1 bitter guy Trav lol you would rather see Portland win the championship over the team you follow the Blades okay seems to me you may be a little stubborn

Oilersguy
11-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Hey Trav, it was much, much more than just giving a cellphone away and paying for flights for less fortunate family members. If you actually read the latest article by the WHL head office, there were other infractions involved as well that made Portland an unfairly attractive place for high end talented players to choose Portland over many other places. It's also not the league's fault that the Blades suck this year either, when they made the selection of the city to host the Memorial Cup, the Blades were a very promising team, but they are not playing up to their potential or talent level this season for whatever reason. Also, Portland won't win the cup this season, Kamloops will be the next Memorial Cup champions. :D

Trav
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
You are 1 bitter guy Trav lol you would rather see Portland win the championship over the team you follow the Blades okay seems to me you may be a little stubborn

Not being stubborn man, the Blades have no hope in winning the Memorial Cup, let alone the WHL championship. So why not go for a team that has a shot.

Trav
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey Trav, it was much, much more than just giving a cellphone away and paying for flights for less fortunate family members. If you actually read the latest article by the WHL head office, there were other infractions involved as well that made Portland an unfairly attractive place for high end talented players to choose Portland over many other places. It's also not the league's fault that the Blades suck this year either, when they made the selection of the city to host the Memorial Cup, the Blades were a very promising team, but they are not playing up to their potential or talent level this season for whatever reason. Also, Portland won't win the cup this season, Kamloops will be the next Memorial Cup champions. :D

Didn't the Blades beat the Blazers awhile ago? ;) That had to have been embarrassing.

Hockeyfantastic
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Lord Stanley - why don't you phone the Blade's Governor and express your concern about the fine? I expect he will provide you with some comfort concerning the fine and why it was justified. You appear to be reading the Portland responses including the press releases - maybe you should talk to the Blades' governor - he probably is less biased than any responses from Portland

lordstanley
11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Lord Stanley - why don't you phone the Blade's Governor and express your concern about the fine? I expect he will provide you with some comfort concerning the fine and why it was justified. You appear to be reading the Portland responses including the press releases - maybe you should talk to the Blades' governor - he probably is less biased than any responses from Portland

No need to phone him or anyone in fact i am not on Portland side i am on the leagues side just thought the sanctions were a little rough that is all

But let me be clear i agree with some sort of punishment

And Trav if you want to cheer for Portland and not the Blades anymore with only 25 games into the season by all means jump ship go on the Portland banwaggon and join them

Just know if the Blades do happen to win the CUP i hope you are all of a sudden not joining the parade

Trav
11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
No need to phone him or anyone in fact i am not on Portland side i am on the leagues side just thought the sanctions were a little rough that is all

But let me be clear i agree with some sort of punishment

And Trav if you want to cheer for Portland and not the Blades anymore with only 25 games into the season by all means jump ship go on the Portland banwaggon and join them

Just know if the Blades do happen to win the CUP i hope you are all of a sudden not joining the parade

You won't have to worry bout that cuz the Blades won't win the WHL title let alone the Memorial Cup. They'll be a back door entry in the Memorial Cup.

I still support the team but it doesn't mean I can't criticize them when they don't come to play and get hammered like they do every now and then or make dumb trades. If you think criticizing them makes me less of a fan then fine I don't care lol, not going to sit here and say oh the Blades are still good and oh they'll come back and etc. The team has done NOTHING in their whole existence so forgive me if I sound negative lol. Their the oldest team in the league and all they got to show for it is a couple eastern conference titles, thats it. Pretty sad if u ask me.

And lastly, I just want a WHL team to win the Cup and it happens to be the Winterhawks then great since they're getting screwed over by the league. People can say they did this and that to get this player or that player to sign with them, well then if they did that then show the proof. Don't just say it and run. What the Portland Winterhawks appear to have done doesn't seem to severe. The WHL should've just fined them and take away a couple decent picks, taking away four-five first rounders is insane.

lordstanley
11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
You won't have to worry bout that cuz the Blades won't win the WHL title let along the Memorial Cup. They'll be a back door entry in the Memorial Cup.

I still support the team but it doesn't mean I can't criticize them when they don't come to play and get hammered like they do every now and then or make dumb trades.

And lastly, I just want a WHL team to win the Cup and it happens to be the Winterhawks then great since they're getting screwed over by the league. People can say they did this and that to get this player or that player to sign with them, well then if they did that then show the proof. Don't just say it and run. What the Portland Winterhawks appear to have done doesn't seem to severe. The WHL should've just fined them and take away a couple decent picks, taking away four-five first rounders is insane.

Go on the white board and say portland got screwed or say anything remotley positive about the Blades you will be roasted, thank god we have whlfans lol

mjw22
11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Robison and the league will be cutting an appeal deal with Por. The Por owner has the money and balls as seen by ignoring the rules and the press releases that he would drag the league into court. Once there the league may have to disclose things it wants left in the closet.If even some of the rumours out there about what has been going on league wide are true more would fall for sure.

trucker
11-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I normaly wouldn't take Stanley's side...but Trav, your not thinking at all with what your spouting off! If the Bronco's could afford to fly families over, we could quit possibly have kept our European goalie we drafted in the first round 2 years ago, his name was Stephen Soberg (and he was a baby) but he went home to suck on his mommy. Maybe if we would have flown her over here and paid for his calls to his over seas home he would have stayed. Rules are rules and if the league doesn't follow them, then whats the point in having them? This is a premier league with the best junior hockey in the world. Why let one team get away with cheating and others not? No one is "picking" on Portland. They did it to themselves. The punishment is not too harsh at all. Portland Wintehawks, or should we call them the Lance Armstrong Hawks now, deserve all of this plus a poor reputation amongst everyone in the league. Fans included.

mjw22
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
No one is saying what they did wasnt wrong just Robison went way overboard with the punishment.

buddysixpack
11-30-2012, 11:46 PM
The idea of a major punishment for the cheaters is to deter other teams from attempting larger dishonesties. This is setting the bar high so the next guy will get it even worse so it will be avoided by all.

canes77
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I think the reason that the sanctions are so high is because Portland GM Mike Johnson DENIED these infractions at the WHL Board of Governors Meetings. It's like a murderer pleading not-guilty and is later found guilty. It's a much more severe penalty than if the murderer had just pleaded guilty.

From Gregg Drinnan's Taking Note blog - http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/
As I understand it, a player Portland traded away arrived in his new team’s office and presented a contract that hadn’t been registered with the WHL office so was not on file in Calgary. That contract apparently included something that isn’t in the standard contract.
That apparently sparked this investigation.
One person familiar with the situation told me last night that Johnston had the opportunity to “come clean” in June and again in October. The WHL holds its annual general meeting in June; there was a gathering of governors and general managers in October. The source indicated that Johnston didn’t “come clean” and that figured in the disciplinary measures.

patsdude114
12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
From Gregg Drinnan's Taking Note blog - http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/
As I understand it, a player Portland traded away arrived in his new team’s office and presented a contract that hadn’t been registered with the WHL office so was not on file in Calgary. That contract apparently included something that isn’t in the standard contract.
That apparently sparked this investigation.
One person familiar with the situation told me last night that Johnston had the opportunity to “come clean” in June and again in October. The WHL holds its annual general meeting in June; there was a gathering of governors and general managers in October. The source indicated that Johnston didn’t “come clean” and that figured in the disciplinary measures.

If what Drinnan reports is true (which like 95% of his stuff is bang on) then i most definately fully agree with the punishment given to the winterhawks & to Johnston himself.