12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
I agree totally. Lol.

Western Elite
12-17-2012, 09:57 AM

lordstanley
12-17-2012, 11:09 AM
FORWARDS

9 Shane McColgan C R 5'9 170 Jan. 1, 1993 Manhattan Beach, CA
Shane has done everything the Blades could've asked him thus far. He is a pure set-up man and nothing more. A very creative forward who is unselfish and currently averaging better than a PPG. I think Shane still has a bit more to give but if history serves correct, look for him to peak as the season goes on.

Grade: B

11 Adam Kambeitz LW L 6'0 196 Jun. 23, 1992 Coaldale, AB
In reading some of the message board posters opinion on this player, I find it hard to agree with what many are saying in regards to the negativity and the replacement opinion. Granted, Adam may not be the ideal player to be on a 1A or 1B line for a Memorial Cup contender but he does all the little things that a common fan may not see. He is usually the first one on the Walker-Stransky line on the fore-check and creating the cycle. The cycle play is what this line thrives on. Stransky is then able to use his big frame to walk out and create chances as a result. Kambeitz only has 6 goals and 18 points in 36 games. But if you were to ask Lorne and the management team what they expected, I would say he is delivering in spades.

Grade: B+

14 Matej Stransky RW R 6'3 215 Jul. 11, 1993 Ostrava, Cze
The slow start of Stransky had many people worried and questioning his physical condition. But since that slow start, Stransky has been one of the top power forwards in the league. He is able to use his huge frame to walk out from behind the net and create scoring chances consistently. It is common knowledge to other teams what he is going to do but teams are really having a tough time stopping him now. He seems to be just be getting bigger and bigger and tougher to stop right now. In many ways, he reminds me of the Jagr of the WHL. Not a fast player, but when he is behind the net and works the cycle - so tough to stop.

Grade: A-

16 Matt Revel C R 5'11 165 Apr. 26, 1996 Abbotsford, BC
Matt was a pleasant surprise and addition to the team as they really needed a top notch 96 birth year to anchor its prospect list and that is what they have. Matt has been a bit up and down but definitely shows his talent level despite playing on either the 3rd or 4th lines. During a brief appearance on the one of the top lines though during some of the teams injury problems, Matt showed he can perform and play an offensive role if need be. Lately though it seems that teams are keying on him a bit more and he has taken several huge hits but he keeps bouncing back.

Grade: B-

17 Nick Zajac LW L 5'9 170 Mar. 27, 1995 Headingley, MB
Nick is a hard working, buzz-saw style of player. All the success that Nick gets is due to that hard working, tenacious style of play. A very under-rated player on the team that provides energy and a peskyness that the opposition gets very frustrated with at times. Nick is supplying what the team needs of him which is a bottom 6 forward role that can provide energy and score the odd goal here and there.

Grade: C+

18 Logan Harland C L 5'10 190 Apr. 7, 1995 Frenchman Butte, SK
Logan has been used very sparingly this year and provides the role of an extra forward for the team. When inserted, Logan is very much like Nick Zajac in that he gives it his all each shift and provides energy. I keep thinking that Logan can be a bit more physical though and in the end, he likely won't be on the team for the Memorial Cup run.

Grade: C

19 Brenden Walker RW R 5'11 193 Jun. 26, 1992 St. Anne, MB
It was a very tough start for Brenden this season. Not only was he named captain of a Memorial Cup host team but also too much was made of his leadership, his offensive capabilities and character. Once Brendan was able to settle down, find his niche and do what he does best, which is be a quiet leader, say things when they need to be said and provide some secondary scoring, that is when his game took off. He is one of many Blades players now who have accepted their roles. Brendan doesn't feel like he has to put up 80+ points or 35 goals. He realizes his role on the team and is flourishing as a result.

20 Josh Nicholls RW R 6'2 196 Apr. 27, 1992 Tsawwassen, BC
Josh has given what the Blades thought he could give them and perhaps more. Coming in to the season, I think the expectation was that Josh would be a 40 goal scorer and a top 20 scoring leader in the league. After all, he did put up 85+ points as an 18 year old and was on track last year as well prior to injury. Josh is currently leading the league in scoring and seems to be a threat to score whether it is even strength, PP or even the PK. A dangerous scorer who could IMO have even more than his 26 goals he has if he could convert on a few more of those breakaways.

Grade: A-

21 Nathan Burns LW L 6'2 175 Jul. 15, 1993 Edmonton, AB
When Nathan was acquired from the Vancouver Giants and the Blades were still very much slumping in the standings, I think many fans were upset at the price that Lorne paid for Burns and called it a desparation move. Maybe so, but I think the Blades knew exactly what they were getting in Nathan. It shouldn't be expected of Nathan to put up 40 goals and 90 points because that just isn't the type of player he is. Nathan is a responsible, mature 2-way hockey player who opens up things for McColgan and Nicholls by driving lanes and creating space for the two talented forwards on his line. Not to say Nathan doesn't have talent, he does but his job is to create space and work the give and go which he does extremely well.

23 Lukas Sutter C L 6'1 214 Oct. 4, 1993 Lethbridge, AB
There are many who are extremely frustrated and actually quite puzzled by the production of Lukas Sutter this year. I have to say I would agree with that as well. Lukas isn't in the position to score and put up points the way he did last year on a line with a pair of 20 year old forwards - Paradis/M. Burns but it was thought that now Lukas could take the bull by the horns a bit and perhaps form a similar line - albeit a checking 3rd line. It has to be mentioned though that Lukas hasn't had consistent line-mates and it hasn't been until recently that he seems to have accepted his role as a checking center who isn't looked upon to score. We'll see if his 2nd half improves and much hunch is that it will.

37 Drake Bodie C L 5'11 180 Aug. 25, 1995 Thompson, MB
A call-up player who does what the team asks of him when in the lineup. He is used very sparingly, despite low numbers on forward when he has been in the lineup. Drake has some decent offensive instincts and talent but it isn't clear if he is a top 6 or bottom 6 down and road and at 5'11 and not very responsible in his own end, he could be wiped off the list very soon.

38 Brett Stovin RW R 6'1 188 Oct. 31, 1994 Stony Mountain, MB
I think a bit more was expected of Brett this year prior to his injury. With 4 goals in 20 games and 3 of them coming in 1 game, Brett wasn't exactly filling the role that was needed. He does work hard but really isn't a crash and bang type player to fill a need on a 3rd line that needs to be a shut-down line in the Memorial Cup. Brett also isn't a top 6 caliber forward on "THIS" team either so he is caught IMO as a tweener with no real identity as a player on this team moving forward. Also the fact that he is 18 might make it hard for him to move in a potential deal at the deadline but I think that may be best for Brett and his development at this point.

Grade: C-

39 Ryan Graham LW L 6'1 195 May. 6, 1996 Calgary, AB
Ryan was sidelined early in the season due to back/leg trouble as a result of his growth spurt over the summer. He is a talented young player who shows glimpses of making things happen but has yet to really find the confidence to do it on a consistent basis. Ryan does project though as a 2nd line winger who should be able to put up numbers in future years. Many teams have inquired about the availability of Ryan at the deadline, so he may be moved.

41 Jessey Astles LW L 6'2 205 Jun. 4, 1993 Coquitlam, BC
Jessey was filling the role of "tough guy" on the team and IMO is a very important piece for the stretch drive or at the very least - the playoffs for the Blades. You are really not going to notice him at all on the scoreboard for scoring goals but if things get hairy, he is there on the next shift to settle things down. His importance is more important than many think.

DEFENCEMEN

2 Matthew Pufahl D L 6'2 198 Aug. 18, 1993 Saskatoon, SK
Matthew has been a very under-rated and important depth defenceman for the team. He has seen time on the PP and seems to have good vision working the point. He also has above average speed once accelarated. One of the few players who have been on the plus side of the plus/minus ledger all year long. He will also not hesitate to stick up for team-mates either.

4 Kyle Schmidt D R 6'0 197 Jan. 20, 1993 Waldheim, SK
I know many are split as to what Kyle can offer down the stretch, even prior to his injury. Although He was putting up points and on the plus side of the plus/minus category, Kyle lacks the foot speed and doesn't offer an intangible that the team needs moving forward. He isn't a top 4 guy and he isn't a specialty teams type of player either. His age also works against him. I would keep him on the list but really - he should've be used a whole lot in the 2nd half.

5 Duncan Siemens D L 6'4 209 Sep. 7, 1993 Sherwood Park, AB
It has been a tale of two seasons for Duncan so far this year. Early in the year, he never was able to get it going and was one of the worst in the league in the plus/minus category. Since then, Duncan has proven why he was a 1st round NHL pick and although not flashy, he is a very stabalizing presence on the back-end for the team.

6 Graeme Craig D L 6'5 215 May. 3, 1993 Red Deer, AB
In a move of a couple depth players early in the season, we saw Graeme Craig come over from SC for long-time Blade Brent Benson. Craig has given the Blades a reliable veteran presence on the back-end, who simply just does his job and play within his means. Graeme will make an ideal 3rd pairing defenceman for the Memorial Cup run and play against the other teams rookie or 3rd line players. He can be used on the PK and is good at clearing the front of the net.

8 Shayne Gwinner D L 6'1 182 May. 20, 1994 Drumheller, AB
There has only been a small sampling of Shayne thus far but he has been fairly decent. He has the mind-set of wanting to rush the puck but at times that can leave things open in the d-zone. However, it is very tough to complain about Shayne in that he has 6 points in 7 games and is a +6 in that span despite being used as a 6-7 dman.

44 Darren Dietz D R 6'1 205 Jul. 17, 1993 Medicine Hat, AB
Darren hasn't had the season he has wanted to be sure. He has one of the worst plus/minus stats in the league at -18 and all but one of his 9 goals have come on the PP. He seems to have had difficulty in knowing when to step or pinch in and the confidence seems to be a bit low. He does provide the team with some offence from the backend and can be gritty as well so that has been fine with him. I think he needs to step it up in the 2nd half and prove worthy of a top pairing or top 3 role on defence for the team.

47 Dalton Thrower D R 6'0 197 Dec. 20, 1993 North Vancouver, BC
Another player who was off to a slow start for the team. Dalton has all the tools to be a top dman in the league but at times loses focus and does things on the ice that leave the coaches shaking their heads. He can take needless pims, pinch in at wrong times and be a bit lazy on the ice. Thrower needs to play more like he has since the injury and keep moving forward as he has been doing - very slowly.

55 Nelson Nogier D R 6'2 182 May. 27, 1996 Saskatoon, SK
Nelson is a dman who has been used very much since the injuries hit the team a while back. He is a big defender with well above skating ability. A stay at home type dman who closes gaps well and keeps getting better and better. The chances of Nelson being asked about at the deadline are very high as he is one of the more coveted 16 year old dmen in the league right now.

GOALIES
No. Player Pos. Catches Ht Wt DOB Hometown 2011-12 Regular Season
1 Andrey Makarov G L 6'1 193 Apr. 20, 1993 Kazan, Russia
The player who many feel helped turn the Blades season around. Makarov has been a work horse for the Blades and has provided them with the confidence necessary to turn the season around. Although stead, he really hasn't stole any games for the team and he will have to show that ability in the 2nd half when the going gets tough!

33 Alex Moodie G L 6'1 172 Mar. 16, 1995 Winnipeg, MB
Low confidence early the season had many, including yours truly doubting the young 17 year old goalie. But since the departure of Makarov to the WJHC, Moodie seems to be thriving for the 2nd year in a row as the bonified starter. We will have to wait and see what his role will be down the stretch when Makarov returns but it seems as though Moodie thrives on workload and may be best suited in the MJHL or Midget as a result for the remainder of the season.

Good report card pretty solid !!

lordstanley
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
What is even more amazing our numbers are pretty much the same as last year at this time we were 20-13-1 113 -113 pretty crazy seeing the start we had the second half was just okay last year lets hope this we steam roll ahead :D

dondo
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
amazing report card - I don't think I'd have the patience to do this - well done W.E.

from the former Giant perspective - Harland needs more playing time, but I have enjoyed watching him when I have seen him. The G's never really had the confidence in him and I beleive he duplicated some of what we already had.

As for Burns, he has more up-side than that, but you are right that he brings a quiet stability to his line and although he'll rarely wow you he'll give you consistent effort and every once in a while a spectacular goal - if he gains confidence he might put more of those together. Sounds like McColgan and Nicholls are a good fit.

Advocator
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Your grades for the d-men is way outa whack. Giving rookie and new defenders more credit than the veterans? Who do you think was carrying this team when the forwards were not scoring? The reason the plus minuses are or were so bad for the defense is because the checking lines were not shutting down. Plus minuses are also not a very good stat to use to rate anyone.

Western Elite
12-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Western Elite
12-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Western Elite
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Western Elite
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Advocator
12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Well if Dondo said it was good then it must be good.

lordstanley
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Well this message board has been a gong show for the past week or so lol

I got a private message regarding the banning of western and i totally understand why now have a happy hollidays everyone :clap: