PDA

View Full Version : Halfway there - My thoughts on the defense and goaltenders

SectionNDeserter
12-20-2012, 08:20 AM
#2 Devan Fafard (B-) - Prior to the additions of Underwood and Gaudet, he played some big minutes early on in the season and didn't look out of place at all. He is very aggressive, and battles really hard, especially in front of the net, and actually quite possibly led the team in shots on goal in the first ten or so games. He also is more than happy to drop the mitts, which is rare in hockey these days. He has since been bumped down the roster, in an attempt to add more offense/experience to the blueline, but continues to maintain the best +/- on the team. I see him as replacing the element the team will lose with the departure of Underwood at the end of the season.

#4 Haydn Fleury (A-) – This guy is going to be a star! He has well above average skating skill, and at 6'3 and 205lbs, above average size for a sixteen year old. He continues to get better and better, and the rookie mistakes are getting fewer and fewer. Should easily be on the top pairing next season.

#6 Kevin Pochuk (C+) – Great puck-moving defenseman, with a decent shot and great hockey sense. Like most rookies, he has a tendancy to cough the puck up in his zone under a big forecheck, and he loses some board battles in his end as well. If he can shore up the defensive part of his game a bit, he could be a decent powerplay quarterback one day.

#7 Brandon Underwood (C+) - Big, tough defenseman that seems to have had a good influence on his young defensive partner Fleury. I had hoped that more of his penalties minutes would be comprised of fighting majors than undisciplined minor penalties, but his addition has really solidified the blueline. He will play out his junior eligibility this season.

#8 Kayle Doetzel (C+) – Another season marred by injury (so far) for the sophomore blueliner. I am not totally sold on him yet, as he struggled between injuries last season, and didn't really get going this season before he got injured again. He does however, have all the tools to be a top player in this league, and barring any more injuries he should eventually get there.

#23 Brady Gaudet (C+) – Would have given him a higher grade if he were putting up top pairing offensive numbers, but he has fewer offensive numbers in twice as many games as he played in Kamloops this season, on a team where he is getting exponentially more ice time. That being said, he is doing all the right things, and does look like he is best suited for the top line, the offensive numbers just aren't coming yet. While I don't think his skillset really compliments Dumba's (the defensive zone coverage is scary sometimes when they are both on the ice), he could quite possibly be the #1 defenseman in Red Deer next season, if Dumba goes pro.

#24 Matt Dumba (C+) – If you told me at the start of the year, that Matt Dumba would be 5th in scoring on the team, and minus-3, I would be skeptical. But here we are, and that is where he is. He looks lost in the defensive end of the ice on a lot of nights, and isn't even remotely as explosive offensively as he was last season. I am not sure what the root cause of his step back this season is, whether having everyone constantly pumping his tires is starting to get to him mentally, or a distinct change in his game after getting suspended for one of his trademark open-ice hits on opening night (he has had exactly one more since then). He is still the best defenseman on the team, from a skill standpoint, he is just underachieving at the moment. I have heard a lot of rumors about him getting moved at the deadline, however I don't think he will, as at this point, as I think he stands a good chance of returning to the WHL next season (to work on his defensive game)

#26 Riley Boomgaarden (C-) – like the size and toughness that he brings to the roster, but his skating needs a lot of work, and he takes a pile of unnecessary penalties. I was actually more impressed with him when they used him on the wing the other night, and it might be a better fit moving forward, as I don't see where he fits into the blueline next season.

#35 Patrik Bartosak (A+) – Hands-down the MVP on the team this season, as he has made the defense look a lot better than they really are on most nights, and stolen a pile of games this season. And unlike a lot of import players, he is extremely up-front about how happy he is to be in Red Deer. Would love to see him back as a two-spotter next season, but I have a feeling that he will be playing pro hockey.

#31 Bolton Pouliot (B-) – Continues to improve with every game, and seems to have a lot more confidence. Still struggles to put more than one or two good performances in a row together, but looks like he could be ready to assume the starter job next season, barring a return by Bartosak.

Red celtic
12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Were these grades assessed based on how they have performed this year as compared to their team mates, or value to team, or potential. Are you taking into account who these guy's have to play against ie first line, second line? I think you have under valued both Gaudet and Dumba.

SectionNDeserter
12-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Were these grades assessed based on how they have performed this year as compared to their team mates, or value to team, or potential. Are you taking into account who these guy's have to play against ie first line, second line? I think you have under valued both Gaudet and Dumba.There are a lot of different things that I factor in. How much they are developing/improving over last season, where they are at versus where I thought they would be at this season etc.

With Dumba, he played a below average defensive game as a rookie with a high-risk offensive game. He improved on his defense a great deal last season, but is pretty much back to about where he was in his rookie season from a defensive standpoint, often putting the attacker between himself and the net, or outright losing his defensive assignment altogether. Offensively, he is playing against the same quality of players that he was last season, but isn't generating anywhere near as much offense as he was. Last season, most of the first and second line players from the other team had very little success trying to apply a heavy forecheck against him, now the other team's third liners are routinely having their way with him. Only a few times this season has he gone end-to-end with the puck, or flattened someone with a big open-ice hit (and he got suspended on one of them). He is an elite player, a player that the media would have you believe was heading to Minnesota this season (in the absence of a lockout), and should be playing at a much higher level than he has in the first half. I am not saying that he isn't a good player, because I think he is still the most skilled defenseman on the team, I just think he should be performing as good or better than he was last season.

With Gaudet, he clearly wasn't brought in to be a rugged stay-at-home defenseman, and nobody will ever mistake him for that sort of player. He is a mobile, puck-moving defenseman, that is capable of quarterbacking a powerplay. I had hoped that he would put up more than 5 points in 22 games in that role, but he just hasn't been able to put all of those things together yet and translate them into points. However, this is his first opportunity to be a 'leader' on a WHL team, I think it will take some time, but he will get there.

Red celtic
12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I do appreciate your analysis of players and you are usually :eek: quite insightful... (excuse me I almost threw up in my mouth) With that in mind C+ really.. B would be more appropriate. That said Merry Christmas and keep writing.

lordstanley
01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Red Deer picks up 20 year old Depape i hear ? he would fill your last 20 spot and a good pick up

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Red Deer picks up 20 year old Depape i hear ? he would fill your last 20 spot and a good pick upGreat pickup, and a great fit too. Red Deer has played much of the season with only two overage players, getting a lot of ice time for some of the younger players while still icing a fairly competitive team. Depape should return in time for the playoffs, where he had 13 points in 11 games last season.