PDA

View Full Version : Giants 8 Cougars 4 - Dec 30, 2012

dondo
12-31-2012, 03:40 AM
A fun game to watch. I enjoyed watching the boys play an edgy game and not afraid to stand up for each other

Giants Bite Cougars
Vancouver 8 Prince George 4

A Cougar player shattered a pane of glass during warm-up giving a hint as to the kinds of fireworks there were to come. After incremental steps toward more production this weekend and finding the intensity and focus they need to take control and keep control of games the Giants got a complete game throughout the line-up, except between the pipes. I’m not sure if Tyler Fuhr was still shaken from the shredding he took in Kamloops, but he was completely out of sorts today, allowed awful goals against, over-played his saves and threw himself out of position in a way that reminded me of Marek “The Adventure” Schwarz. Fuhr was often looking the other way as the puck went past him, sliding out of position, reacting slowly and generally putting together one of worst performances I have personally witnessed him play. He settled down for some stops, but it was his team who gave him the win. Goals were not hard to come by for either squad today. The Giants pressed hard in the offensive zone, went to the net and battled hard for the puck. It felt as if they benefited from facing an opponent that was as hard working, but not as highly skilled as some of their other opposition; however, they did deserve the luck and goals they created. Another entertaining game where the boys seem to be forging some form of team chemistry and with individuals stepping up as part of the team. The G’s puck support and breakouts were much better this game as well.

The Giants opened the scoring just over 3 minutes into the game. Wes Vannieuwenhuizen found the back of the net with a seeing-eye wrist shot from the point through traffic. Dalton Sward and Anthony Ast had the helpers, with both players eventually earning 3 helpers each in the game. The Cougars tied it up a short time later when a scramble saw the puck carom out to the open side for an easy tap in. Tyler Morrison scored his first WHL goal of the season just past the ten minute mark. Kale Kessy and Jackson Houck combined get puck to Morrison. A solo effort by the Cougars trickled past Fuhr as the Cougars tied the game back up. Kale Kessy took the lead back before the end of the opening frame. Houck and Cain Franson had the helpers on that play. The Cougars tied it back up in the second on the PP. A few minutes later a scramble on the doorstep had Kulak slip the puck under Mac Engel. Taylor Vickerman took the puck to the net and got the lone assist. Trevor Cheek took over at that point finally finding the back of the net after getting his chances early on. Cheek scored his 14th of the season, with Ast and Vannieuwenhuizen getting the assists. His 15th came SH’d when he and Sward came up-ice on the rush and Cheek waited until he was at the goal-line before flipping the puck past Engel. The Cougars ruined his natural hat-trick when they scored a PP goal in the last minute of the second. Cheek scored his 16th and hat-trick goal on the PP early in the third. Ast and Sward worked the puck to Cheek who slipped it by the Cougar netminder. Mason Geertson scored an insurance PP marker late in the third scoring his second of the season. Tristan Sieben and Riley Kieser with the extra points.

Team Notes: Defenseman Arvin Atwal was back in the line-up finally recovered from his nagging injury and looked good. The kid has wheels and made smart plays, pinched well and played a solid game. Lee, Zalitach and Foster at the U17 tourney.

Fisticuffs: Not much until the end of the game. Kale Kessy v. Troy Bourke - a few pushes then the gloves came off. Quick takedown by Kessy. Next shift: Blake Orban v. Zach Pochiro – Pochiro gets a good shot in, some response by Orban and the takedown. Orban feeds Pochiro a few on the ice, both players still trying to get at each other when they stood up. Tristan Sieben and Jarrett Fontaine started it all along the boards by the benches. A few punches back and forth and a quick takedown.

Zebra Cage: Reagan Vetter by himself. Nothing called in the first period. A few soft ones called in the game a couple missed, but more or less balanced.

The Giants out shot the Cougars 43-26. They went 2 for 5 on the PP and allowed 2 for 5 against on Cougars PPs. The G’s also scored a SH’d marker. Great games by Ast and Sward. Sward in particular was very good playing without the puck. Franson had more chances early on and throughout the game, but was unable to get the puck to go. Atwal showed some of what makes him a top prospect. Our 20s were very good in this game. Kessy hit and forced the play. Cheek played a tenacious game, battling for every puck and going to the net. Vannieuwenhuizen played a responsible game and held the fort for the team, potting a goal and adding a helper in the process.

Taylor Vickerman played a good game until he was tagged for a kneeing major at mid-ice. I would have liked to see a replay to see if it was intentional or incidental, but the Cougar player lay on the ice for some time and limped off, so I suppose the 5 minutes was warranted. The Giants PK finally found their stride during the kill, holding the Cougars off the score-sheet in the third. Travis McEvoy and Scott Cooke fit their roles well, grinding down low and taking the body. I liked to see the Giants not afraid to shoot the puck and not afraid to drive the net.

Next Up: Kamloops Blazers on Jan 2, 2013. A tough game for the Giants, but maybe they can continue their scoring ways and discover a complete game because they are going to need it to compete. The G’s then go on a road trip, playing 5 games in 6 nights. Sweeping through the Central Divison and taking on some tough competition.

Three Stars

1. Trevor Cheek
2. Anthony Ast
3. Kale Kessy

Dondo’s Hardhat: It would be easy to just give it to Trevor Cheek, but I am going to give mine to Dalton Sward. I liked his game and seemed to be a better step toward the kind of player he can and should be. Sward was also awarded the Dickies’ Worker of the Game, something they are awarding at the end of Giants home games. I don’t know if this is the team giving this or someone else, but in my mind whoever it was got it right.

Lucic
12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
It was nice to see Atwal out there. He looked better than a few Giants defensemen currently on the roster full time (specifically a defenseman that wears #21). I have no idea if they plan on keeping him around (I'm not counting on it) but he should be, IMO.