PDA

View Full Version : Trades coming?

trucker
12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Gregg Drinnan reported that Alex Forseberg didn't return to the Prince George Cougers after the Christmas break and is requesting a trade. Not sure if he would be of use to the Broncos or not just because a player that quits usually has issues. But...he was selected first overall in the 2010 bantam draft and he is a forward. Swift Current is also alot closer to home for him as he is a Saskatchewanian. Thoughts on this? Or any other possible trade thoughts??

patsdude114
12-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldnt say Forsberg has issues its just a case of a family getting sick and tired of playing for a losing franchise. A franchise where the Brodsky's could careless what happens too. His older brother Jesse played there since 2009/10 season & the cougars have not improved 1 bit since then.

I personally feel its more of a family thing then the kid himself, but there will be a price tag on the younger Forsberg he is a quality 17yr old. He had 40pts as a 16yr old on a weak team so dont expect the Cougars to just give him away either, im thinking would take a 1st rd pick & a quality 16yr old just for the Cougars to even start listening.

trucker
12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree with you on that. I was just speculating as to the "quitter" part, I have no proof of that. Don't know much about Prince George either, but you may be on to something, I also read his older brother wanted out of P.G. at the start of this year too. A quality, young, skilled forward will definately bring the Cougers a good return. I'm really not sure what the Broncos will do by the deadline. I don't think they know yet either. Not sure if Forsberg could make much of a difference this year with all the one goal games we have had. I think he is more of a "future" guy. I do know Lamb doesn't want to give up much of the young talent he is growing. If the Broncos were "sellers" this year and PG "buyers", then Forsberg would be a good pick up. Who knows.

Hockeyfantastic
12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
I wouldnt say Forsberg has issues its just a case of a family getting sick and tired of playing for a losing franchise. A franchise where the Brodsky's could careless what happens too. His older brother Jesse played there since 2009/10 season & the cougars have not improved 1 bit since then.

I personally feel its more of a family thing then the kid himself, but there will be a price tag on the younger Forsberg he is a quality 17yr old. He had 40pts as a 16yr old on a weak team so dont expect the Cougars to just give him away either, im thinking would take a 1st rd pick & a quality 16yr old just for the Cougars to even start listening.

Dillon Heatherington was the Bronco's first round pick (11th overall) when Forsberg was drafted in 2010. Forsberg has faded whereas Dillon has advanced. I cannot see a general manager trading a 1st rounder and a quality 16 year for an unproven player even if he was the first pick overall. Remember Alexander Daigle.

Hockeyfantastic
12-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Gregg Drinnan reported that Alex Forseberg didn't return to the Prince George Cougers after the Christmas break and is requesting a trade. Not sure if he would be of use to the Broncos or not just because a player that quits usually has issues. But...he was selected first overall in the 2010 bantam draft and he is a forward. Swift Current is also alot closer to home for him as he is a Saskatchewanian. Thoughts on this? Or any other possible trade thoughts??

Over the years the Broncos have made great trades - Thompson and Green, Tidball and Crowley, Schneider come to mind
Some trades are made out of necessity - Eaken, Buckberger/McCambridge, McCammond/Perkins
And some we would always like to forget - Rome/Richards to Moose Jaw

patsdude114
01-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Dillon Heatherington was the Bronco's first round pick (11th overall) when Forsberg was drafted in 2010. Forsberg has faded whereas Dillon has advanced. I cannot see a general manager trading a 1st rounder and a quality 16 year for an unproven player even if he was the first pick overall. Remember Alexander Daigle.

Unproven scorer really? he was the 2nd highest scoring 16yr old last season only behind Reinhart had 40pts in 51games.... this year is simply cuz he doesnt want to be in PG & cant blame the kid for that at all, they are 1 of the worst ran clubs in the WHL his older brother wanted out of there for a reason.

He is still 1 of the most dangerous 17yr olds in the league just when u have no 1 to play with at all it is very easy to shut down a 17yr old. PG will get a 1st rd pick & a top prospect for Forsberg or will take 3 quality players to give some depth. Any team in there right mind would give up a 1st rd pick for this year to get a 17yr old of Forsberg calibre.

Heck I would be very happy if the Pats gave up 1st rd pick, Brooks, & D'Amico (or something along those lines) for Forsberg... I know the Pats will not land Forsberg (but i can dream) he would definately speed up our rebuild to go along with Klimchuk, Burroughs, Williams, Hand & Gay

d-man
01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Forsberg would be perfect for the Broncos even at the cost of a first round pick. He gives them a top 6 forward they need to make a push and being only 17 Lamb can hang on to his rebuilding excuse.

Hockeyfantastic
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Unproven scorer really? he was the 2nd highest scoring 16yr old last season only behind Reinhart had 40pts in 51games.... this year is simply cuz he doesnt want to be in PG & cant blame the kid for that at all, they are 1 of the worst ran clubs in the WHL his older brother wanted out of there for a reason.

He is still 1 of the most dangerous 17yr olds in the league just when u have no 1 to play with at all it is very easy to shut down a 17yr old. PG will get a 1st rd pick & a top prospect for Forsberg or will take 3 quality players to give some depth. Any team in there right mind would give up a 1st rd pick for this year to get a 17yr old of Forsberg calibre.

Heck I would be very happy if the Pats gave up 1st rd pick, Brooks, & D'Amico (or something along those lines) for Forsberg... I know the Pats will not land Forsberg (but i can dream) he would definately speed up our rebuild to go along with Klimchuk, Burroughs, Williams, Hand & Gay

Come on
Now you're changing the intent of the previous comment. The previous comment was Forsberg being traded for a 1st rounder and a quality player. That would mean something more like Klimchuk as a opposed to Brooks and D'Amico - with all due respect. Is Brooks a quality player. Just looking at his stats (8 points in 32 games - 2nd round 2011 draft).
I guess it all comes down to the definition of a quality player and yes I also would trade the Pat's first rounder and Brooks and D'Amico for Forsberg but I would not trade Forsberg for Klimchuk and a first rounder.

trucker
01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Over the years the Broncos have made great trades - Thompson and Green, Tidball and Crowley, Schneider come to mind
Some trades are made out of necessity - Eaken, Buckberger/McCambridge, McCammond/Perkins
And some we would always like to forget - Rome/Richards to Moose Jaw

I agree. Maybe Lamb will go after Forsberg, maybe he won't. Would Forsberg be the difference in all our 1 goal games though? If he did become a bronco he'd be good for another two years just not sure if he'd be the difference maker this season. Lamb would like a goal scorer I think for this season and then back to the rebuild next. PG will want young talent that Lamb may not want to give up.

trucker
01-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I see Prince George has only one import player as well. Does Lamb make an offer with Nedlomel packaged up?

trucker
01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Or maybe Forsberg isn't what the Boncos want. Jayden Hart is requesting a trade out of Medicine Hat. He has size and skill and is an 18 year old centre. Not as elite a player as Forsberg but won't cost Lamb as much to aquire.

patsdude114
01-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Come on
Now you're changing the intent of the previous comment. The previous comment was Forsberg being traded for a 1st rounder and a quality player. That would mean something more like Klimchuk as a opposed to Brooks and D'Amico - with all due respect. Is Brooks a quality player. Just looking at his stats (8 points in 32 games - 2nd round 2011 draft).
I guess it all comes down to the definition of a quality player and yes I also would trade the Pat's first rounder and Brooks and D'Amico for Forsberg but I would not trade Forsberg for Klimchuk and a first rounder.

I think u need to re-read my post, I never said that would be the exact deal I had put in brackets "something along those lines. As for ur comment about Forsberg for Klimchuk & a 1st (know u said u would not trade that) that type of aa trade would heavily favour PG Klimchuk is twice the player Forsberg is, pts were very simliar last year Forsberg 40pts Klimchuk 36pts but this year is where the development really took off.

PG will be looking for 16 & 17 year olds 1 thing that does favour the Pats is we have a a lot of 17yr olds on our squad this year, have 4 plaayers from the 1st 3 rds (from the year Forsberg & Klimchuk were chosen) in Klimchuk, Burroughs, Hand & Williams.

As fun as it is to talk about the chances of landing a young prospect like Forsberg, realisticly I don't think the Pats have enough quality prospects to pull of a trade like this & then again neither do the Broncos. I believe if any Sask team can land Forsberg it would be MJ or possibly PA & we could go as far as saying BRN (damn MB) has enough prospects to pull of a deal like that as well which would speed up there rebuild very fast.

Hockeyfantastic
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I think u need to re-read my post, I never said that would be the exact deal I had put in brackets "something along those lines. As for ur comment about Forsberg for Klimchuk & a 1st (know u said u would not trade that) that type of aa trade would heavily favour PG Klimchuk is twice the player Forsberg is, pts were very simliar last year Forsberg 40pts Klimchuk 36pts but this year is where the development really took off.

PG will be looking for 16 & 17 year olds 1 thing that does favour the Pats is we have a a lot of 17yr olds on our squad this year, have 4 plaayers from the 1st 3 rds (from the year Forsberg & Klimchuk were chosen) in Klimchuk, Burroughs, Hand & Williams.

As fun as it is to talk about the chances of landing a young prospect like Forsberg, realisticly I don't think the Pats have enough quality prospects to pull of a trade like this & then again neither do the Broncos. I believe if any Sask team can land Forsberg it would be MJ or possibly PA & we could go as far as saying BRN (damn MB) has enough prospects to pull of a deal like that as well which would speed up there rebuild very fast.

I agree with your comments
The Broncos probably would not be prepared to give up a Martin or a Heatherington or a Gaudin (their 2012 first rounder) - consider them untouchable. I do not think the Broncos would give up their 1st round pick in 2013 and Odgers - their 2012 2nd rounder for him either but PG would not agree to that type of trade anyways.

Broncs in RD
01-02-2013, 12:48 AM
I would say Bosc, Leth and a 1st or 2nd for Forsberg.

trucker
01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Does anyone have a clue what this team is going to do at the deadline? Lamb in past years stays relatively quiet. Are we building for a contender in the years ahead? I thought thats what the fans have been told, if thats still the case, Scarlett and Lowry must be traded for more assets.
If we want to make the playoffs we must aquire more skill by trading our future.
Financially, this club has to make the playoffs, so do we do nothing? Go in as a dark horse and likely be out after round one?
Next year doesn't look like a powerhouse year by any means, as we are still 2 years away from that!
It's a tough call, and I want playoff hockey BAD!! But long term, I'd say Lamb Chops should pull the pin on Lowry and Scarlett and keep building this thing.
As much as I dislike this coaching staff, and they should NEVER have been rewarded by another lengthy contract, they should probably stick to their guns, bite the bullet and pull the trigger on aquiring more assets and trade Lowry and Scarlett.
It sucks but thats hockey. just an opinion.

Bighat
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
From watching your team your only a couple players away from winning a couple playoff rounds. 2 good lines strong tending, play big. It's sad when you have to run your team on worrying about playoff money but we need you guys in the league.

patsdude114
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
From watching your team your only a couple players away from winning a couple playoff rounds. 2 good lines strong tending, play big. It's sad when you have to run your team on worrying about playoff money but we need you guys in the league.

U sound like Brent Parker when he was running the Pats the Broncos are more then a couple players away they are realisticly a 1 rd team come playoff time. Trade Lowry but keep Scarlett as he has a much better chance at coming back as a 20yr old. Don't think he is signed at all & he's not aa big name Dman in the WHL to begin with. He is solid but nothing amazing.

A team like KAM or EDM I can see being extremely interested in Lowry, get a quality 17yr old & a pick with a 16yr old prospect & the Broncos should be laughing for next season. That is as long as that euro goalie comes back for a year 2 in speedy creek. He alone should be able to squeak u into the playoffs in 7th or 6th

Bighat
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Swift has 8 -19yr olds including their import goalie so this year would be the year to make a couple moves to have some playoff success. Next year will be a young team and if they trade to build they would be 2 years away. That's some tough descions to be made in speedy creek.

2,5,andagame
01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Scarlett has been signed by the Devils.

patsdude114
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Scarlett has been signed by the Devils.

ok ty i wasnt sure if he was signed or not then i guess with that said both lowry & scarlett will be gone next year tough decisions in broncoland forsure.... if the Broncos feel they can get into the 2nd rd then by all means bring in a player or 2 cuz the playoff money goes a long ways for a small market team.... but if its just 1 round they feel then maybe they need to move players & build, moving Lowry should bring them a quality 17yr old who would be ready for a bigger role as a 18yr old.

For some reason i thought ur finnish goalie was only 18yrs old not 19....

trucker
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
He'll be a two spotter next year. As far as Jayden Hart goes, he was traded to P.A.. No word from the Bronco's so far on any trade dealings. Wonder which way Lamb Chops is gonna lead us. And wonder what offers are being thrown at him and what he's throwing back. This is the most intriguing time with Lamb at the helm for me. This decision is huge and valid arguments can be made, for whatever the decision. I hope whatever choice is made, whether sellers or buyers, that it will be to the benefit of the team for years to come. I hope Lamb can prove his worth.

Hockeyfantastic
01-04-2013, 11:17 PM
He'll be a two spotter next year. As far as Jayden Hart goes, he was traded to P.A.. No word from the Bronco's so far on any trade dealings. Wonder which way Lamb Chops is gonna lead us. And wonder what offers are being thrown at him and what he's throwing back. This is the most intriguing time with Lamb at the helm for me. This decision is huge and valid arguments can be made, for whatever the decision. I hope whatever choice is made, whether sellers or buyers, that it will be to the benefit of the team for years to come. I hope Lamb can prove his worth.

The other alternative for Mark is to do nothing. I would be surprised if he chose this option, but with the number of injured players that eventually may return to the line up Lamb may be satisfied with the team he has. Derko, Bews, and Benson would certainly improve the team.

d-man
01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
The other alternative for Mark is to do nothing. I would be surprised if he chose this option, but with the number of injured players that eventually may return to the line up Lamb may be satisfied with the team he has. Derko, Bews, and Benson would certainly improve the team.

I'd be surprised if Lamb did nothing, unless the offers for Lowry and Scarlett are not even close to his goals. IMO with the number of 19 year olds you have to go for it this year. Give up some youth to get those top forwards you need. Two of the 20 year olds - Reum and Moser - can be released to make room for what they need. They don't make or break this team. Honestly from what I have seen of Dale he is a liability on the ice.

If he continues to rebuild then ship Lowry, Scarlett, Nedomlel and honestly Laurikainen. Hate to see the goalie go but if there's one rental player that will bring a big return of youth and draft picks its Etu. Bow and Myland are the goalies next year, if you're going to give up the season in favour of rebuilding you might as well start in net and see if these two guys can get you into the playoffs this season.

I say load up and make a run to the playoffs. At some point Lamb can't be scared to succeed and the "rebuilding" excuse for failure is wearing thin with some fans.

patsdude114
01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
The problem with the euro goalie is no playoff team needs a goalie & i highly doubt they will waste a euro spot on a backup goalie for there team. The Broncos are 3 games below .500 i cant see Lamb making a huge run at it by loading up just doesnt make sense for a team that sits with a losing record.

Moving Lowry would make the most sense to speed up the rebuilding phase, but with that said moving Lowry will pretty much end any playoff hopes the Broncos may have & playoff money is very important to small market teams especially a team like the Broncos.

Harvest
01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Eetu isn't a euro backup. He would be an upgrade to almost any teams starting goalie. The current starter of that team would then be relegated to backup

Bighat
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
What top six team goaltender would he replace? He's a backup for a contender, he would be the backup in regina. Not saying he's not a good goalie just the league has a good crop of 20 year olds for starters.

Hockeyfantastic
01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
What top six team goaltender would he replace? He's a backup for a contender, he would be the backup in regina. Not saying he's not a good goalie just the league has a good crop of 20 year olds for starters.
It all depends on the situation. For example if PA were to trade their 20 year old goaltender and obtained E2 and then traded for Ferland- it would make sense and PA would be a better team this year.
Tri Cities, PA, Kamloops, and Lethbridge are contenders which all have goaltenders that do not have stats as good a Eatu

Bighat
01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
But do they have 2 good euros. There lays the problem.

patsdude114
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
euro goalies r the toughest to trade to contenders i never once said he wasnt a good goalie cuz he is but i can assure u that TC, PA, LETH rnt just going to make there goalie now a backup especially TC who has a young very good goalie whos development is more important then playing ur goalie for there team lol

he doesnt have as much value as u may think

trucker
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Sure is quiet on the trade front! Wonder when this bubble is going to burst open in the league?!? Can this club go three years without the playoffs? Eventually the "rebuild" players are going to need playoff experience. If thats what Pork chops is planning on, then we do nothing. The dark horse idea in junior hockey, to me, is a long shot idea and rarely happens. We could maybe take a series to 6 or 7 games, but then it would be back to next year talk on here. With nothing really to get up for next year, it could very easily end up with another season of no playoffs.
If we want a team that could go on to WHL championships, then we trade whatever we can for quality 17 year olds, as thats the age group when the "rebuild" begins to show us what we've been waiting for...or thats what we are being led to believe by this coaching regime.
I love having Laurikainen and Lowry as Broncos and it would suck to see them traded. Scarlett, to me, has always been over-rated and trading him for a good return would be welcome in my eyes. Lowry will be gone next year as will Scarlett, but I do see Eetu back here as an overager.

lordstanley
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Bronco Trade Merkley from LH to Swift for Derko and a pick

lordstanley
01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Broncos gave up a third rounder 2014 and Derko for Merkley they get younger and better Merkley is a skilled kid and will be good now Swifty has 7 19 year olds left

BigCat20
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
So does this make you sellers? I sure hope so!

lordstanley
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
So does this make you sellers? I sure hope so!

Who knows but this trade does not make sence on the Lethbridge side Swift 1 this deal in my mind

trucker
01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I'd say both teams got what they wanted, but we got just a little more. Lamb just said Merkly is a pure goal scorer and the highest draft pick Lethbridge has had in a while. A proven 17 year old forward is exactly what we need here! Now if we could just snag forsberg!!

HockeySK
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Does this deal today set the price for Forsberg? Similar player, same age etc.

lordstanley
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Does this deal today set the price for Forsberg? Similar player, same age etc.

Bingo i think it really does set the price for Forsberg Lamb pretty much also said Lowry will not be moved if anything they will try to trade to improve some more

trucker
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Hope so, But doubt it. I'd definately give up another 19 year old and a 3rd round pick for Forseberg, but I'm sure PG will want more than what Lethbridge accepted.

patsdude114
01-07-2013, 11:05 PM
thats a very nice pick up for the broncos, merkley is a talented young kid

bronco rep
01-08-2013, 03:43 AM
What a steal this trade was. Great work Mark...How does a person not love this trade...Derko wouldn't have made this team next yr as a 20 & we got a kid that fits the plan that Mark is working on...Mark work your magic & try to get Forsberg from PG.

Caniac#5
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
He has lots of upside, but when you see younger players on the Cane's that are more hungry and produce it's not hard to see this coming. I think this fits both teams for their needs.

Flathead
01-09-2013, 10:08 PM
He looked very good tonight, could of had four or five points. All he talked about was how he never got any ice time in Lethbridge. He got lots tonight even on the 1st power play. Good trade for us.