PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Kale Kessy to Blazers

Lucic
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Giants receive Rob Trzonkowski and a 5th round pick in return.

Lucic
01-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Not a bad return at all. The Giants don't lose anything for acquiring Kessy (the conditional pick they sent Medicine Hat for Kessy was contingent on Kessy being on the team after the trade deadline) and end up adding another 18 year old forward with some size and another pick. I hope we get the Calgary version of Trzonkowski and not the Kamloops one. He seemed to lose his role a bit with the Blazers.

Trav
01-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Umm why would the Giants get to keep the pick they gave the Tigers for Kessy but yet be able to trade him to another team for a player and a pick lol. That would make no sense at all.

Quite likely the Tigers still get the pick from the Giants since the Giants got a pick and player from the Blazers.

Lucic
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Umm why would the Giants get to keep the pick they gave the Tigers for Kessy but yet be able to trade him to another team for a player and a pick lol. That would make no sense at all.

Quite likely the Tigers still get the pick from the Giants since the Giants got a pick and player from the Blazers.

Don't ask me but that was the deal that was agreed upon. The Giants only lose the pick they sent to Medicine Hat if Kessy was still on the Giants after the trade deadline. The Tigers were forced to move an overager so it wasn't like they had much bargaining room.

Priceisright
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Wow players arent worth much. I saw that G guy. Big guy. Played a couple of shifts lol.

Lucic
01-03-2013, 02:01 AM
I decided to look into that a little more and I stand corrected. Medicine Hat does receive the 5th rounder from Vancouver. The conditions had do with with a suspension and/or a possible call up to the AHL. My apologies for the false information.

dondo
01-03-2013, 02:12 AM
I thought the deal was a bit soft - OAs do command a bigger return depending upon who is interested. I still think Scott has a blind spot where is brother is concerned. Good luck to Kessy though, playing with an actual contender.

We enjoyed having you as a Giant Kale. Thanks. :cool:

Lucic
01-03-2013, 02:50 AM
I thought the deal was a bit soft - OAs do command a bigger return depending upon who is interested. I still think Scott has a blind spot where is brother is concerned.

Keep in mind Kessy's value is certainly lower due to his suspension history. I think the return is pretty fair. Essentially the Giants got more for Kessy than they gave up to acquire him. So it isn't a bad trade in that respect. Kamloops on the other hand adds a big body forward to their group of skilled forwards.

Cheek on the other hand will fetch a greater return. I have a feeling it won't be more bantam picks as the Giants have a lot of those right now. Probably a younger player in return. Edmonton seems like the most plausible destination. Maybe the Giants will try and acquire Tyler Benson's older brother Cole from the Oil Kings? :D

Lucic
01-03-2013, 04:39 AM

Just to prove I wasn't talking out of my ass, Drinnan also makes mention of what I was saying previously.

"At the time, it was reported that the pick would be paid to the Tigers if Kessy was on the Giants’ roster on Jan. 10. However, Steve Ewen of the Vancouver Province tweeted early this morning: “Conditional status of Giants trade with MH for Kessy was for suspension or AHL call-up. They still owe pick, even with Blazer trade.”

Link (http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-macbeth-report-d-james-bettauer.html)

dondo
01-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Keep in mind Kessy's value is certainly lower due to his suspension history. I think the return is pretty fair. Essentially the Giants got more for Kessy than they gave up to acquire him. So it isn't a bad trade in that respect. Kamloops on the other hand adds a big body forward to their group of skilled forwards.

Cheek on the other hand will fetch a greater return. I have a feeling it won't be more bantam picks as the Giants have a lot of those right now. Probably a younger player in return. Edmonton seems like the most plausible destination. Maybe the Giants will try and acquire Tyler Benson's older brother Cole from the Oil Kings? :D

I am aware - but since he came to the Giants he settled down and never brought that kind of reckless game. Considering that I think he was worth more than we got. Was it a bad deal? No. Was it the best deal for what Kessy brings? I would say no to that. As said before though Kessy goes to a contender and although I loved having him here I am happy to see him get his chance.

Interestingly enough Bonner was mentioning that he doesn't see the value in sending an overage player (one of ours in particular) to a non-contending team and sees letting our OAs go would only happen if they were given the chance to make an impact in the playoffs. I am paraphrasing but it sounded like he the only trades he was considering were to teams that really had a great shot, not a good shot at competing for the WHL title.

Lucic
01-05-2013, 03:43 AM
I am aware - but since he came to the Giants he settled down and never brought that kind of reckless game. Considering that I think he was worth more than we got. Was it a bad deal? No. Was it the best deal for what Kessy brings? I would say no to that. As said before though Kessy goes to a contender and although I loved having him here I am happy to see him get his chance.

I hear what you are saying. Who knows, maybe most teams weren't willing to give up a roster player in return for Kessy? The Giants already have a lot of draft picks so getting back a few younger bodies could be more important to them at this point. Trzonkowski has been an underachiever in his WHL career. He was projected to be more of an offensive contributor than what he's shown so far. Maybe they are hoping he'll be able to find his niche on a rebuilding team with an opportunity to get more a lot more ice time? I guess time will tell.

Lucic
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Nice debut for Kessy with Kamloops scoring two goals in their 6-1 win over Seattle. :clap:

dondo
01-06-2013, 12:51 AM
oh yeah what a useless player ;)

Giantsfan
01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
No surprise that he scored a couple goals, he's playing with better talent & he has a reason to care now that he's with a contender.

dondo
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
keep telling yourself that gfan, maybe you'll start actually believing it :p