PDA

View Full Version : Giants acquire Jared Rathjen from Royals

Lucic
01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
The Vancouver Giants have acquired 18 year-old goaltender Jared Rathjen from the Victoria Royals for an eighth round WHL Bantam Draft Pick in 2013.

Rathjen is currently playing for the Whitecourt Wolverines of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. In 11 games with the Wolverines this season, Rathjen has a Goals Against Average of 2.99 and a 0.916 Save Percentage. The Prince George native played 26 games with the Victoria Royals in the past two seasons. In 4 appearances this season with the Royals, he had a 2-2 record, a 2.92 Goals Against Average and a 0.912 Save Percentage.

Rathjen will be joining the Giants in Edmonton on their upcoming Alberta road trip.

Lucic
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I guess Fuhr is on his way out. I always thought Rathjen played pretty well against the Giants. For an 8th round pick, it's a low risk deal for the Giants.

Priceisright
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Yep the Fuhr experiment lasted half a season, shockingly.

Giantsfan
01-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Vancouver is a goalie graveyard for the WHL & NHL.

dondo
01-05-2013, 02:29 AM
definitely low-risk and I think Rathjen lost the numbers game in Victoria with Polivka and young Volrath stepping it up. Polivka is 18 and Vorath 17 - and better than two 18 year olds.

I have liked Rathjen's game in the past and his numbers in the AJHL after being sent down are respectable. 2.99 GAA and .913 SV%. Bonner was saying they like what they see and feel Rathjen is ready to compete at this level of hockey again.

Again I don't think the team gave Tyler Fuhr the chance to be the guy, but you also have to do your best as that guy with your chances and the past few games we saw a shaky 'tender between the pipes and he often beat himself and lost focus. I expect Tyler will be sent down and play a lot.

I hope the team isn't stupid and thinking of Rathjen as the starter though. It's Payton Lee's team as far as I am concerned and Rathjen should be veteran support.

Lucic
01-05-2013, 03:38 AM
I don't believe Lee's job is in jeopardy. At this point sitting him or sending him down would be completely detrimental and foolish, IMO.