PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Rule Changes

Flathead
07-21-2005, 12:55 AM
I copied this from the white board.

Summary of Proposed NHL Rule Changes
by Wingnut
Here is a summary of proposed NHL rule changes, courtesy of today's Toronto Globe and Mail. I realize that this is a WHL board but the WHL is waiting to see what the NHL does before deciding what rule changes the WHL will make. The WHL is on record as wanting to implement smaller goaltending equipment, the tag-up offside rule, and a penalty for goalies freezing the puck unnecessarily.

The Globe and Mail goes on to say that a number of these are being hotly debated and that no proposal came out of yesterday's meeting of the NHL competion committee, so the meeting continues today.

Obstruction (interference/hooking/holding): The committee wants zero tolerance away from the puck, down low around the goal, and a crackdown on slashing and cross-checking.

Goaltenders: Their equipment will be shrunk. Handling of the puck will be limited to behind the goal, and there will be a concerted effort to penalize goalies for unnecessary freezing of the puck, as outlined in the rule book.

Overtime: No tie games. The extra time will begin with a four-on-four, five-minute period, followed by three-on-three for three minutes. If the game is still tied, there will be a shootout.

Icing: Instead of touch icing, a player has only to cross the icing line with his skate or stick first to win the race for the puck.

Tag-up offside: A return to the old rule whereby offensive players can leave the other team's zone and then return to nullify a delayed offside.

Lines: The committee is considering the removal of the red line in order to allow two-line passes. They want the goal line moved back two feet and the use of wider bluelines.

Instigator: The instigator rule will remain, meaning a player deemed to have started a fight is tossed from the game. But if the infraction occurs in the last five minutes of a game, the player also receives a one-game suspension and his head coach is fined $10,000 (all figures U.S.). If the team pays the fine, the club is fined $100,000.

Diving: The league will warn a player for the first incident. There will be a $1,000 fine for a second incident, $2,000 for a third, and a one-game suspension for a fourth. In the playoffs, a third- and fourth-time offender will be fined $5,000, but if one these multiple offenders is nailed two or more times, it's a one-game suspension.

Complaints: Players, coaches and general managers are subject to fines of as much as $100,000 for derogatory comments about the officiating.

Playoffs: The postseason could be expanded to 20 clubs from 16, with the third- and fourth-place teams in each of the six divisions competing in a best-of-three, play-in round.

Officiating: Officials will be geographically located to work in divisions and work in two-referee teams as well as meet with team captains and coaches before each game.

Delay of game: Players will be penalized for shooting the puck into the stands in the defensive zone.

Icing delays: A club icing the puck will not be allowed to change lines during the ensuing stoppage.

Of course, should the WHL adopt all of these changes, the fin schedule would be adjusted or removed.

Posted on Jul 20, 2005, 8:09 AM

I like a lot of these changes. I've never liked no touch icing, but the one that they are proposing here I could live with. At least you still would have to put some effort into it, and with some good hustle some icings could be negated.

Delay of game for players shooting puck over glass in defensive end, always wondered when this would come to be. It wasn't fair that it was only a penalty when the goalie did it.

Best of 3 play in round for the playoffs, sounds good.

Eoro's may have a hard time with the diving, but it's about time.

I hate the idea of shoot outs, but if they play a 4 on 4 then a 3 on 3, we shouldn't have to see too many.

Will be interesting to see how long the crack down on obstruction lasts, they try this every year.

I don't think removing the red line will help increase goal scoring any, but they will probally try it. It will work for a short period of time, then everyone like New Jersey will just go to playing a deeper trap.

Not to sure about the icing delays idea either? I think you should be allowed a set amount of icings per period, then make it so you can't change on the ensuing line change. But if people are worried about injuries, having dog tired players out there is only asking for injuries.

There's some good ideas in this, all with pros and cons and make for some good discussion. It will be interesting to see what actually goes through.

Jimmypop316
07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm all for the changes.. hopefully they adopt a rule like the NHL does about the diving

Heres what the NHL is doing:

In addition to the minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct/diving that may be assessed by the Referee during a game, Hockey Operations will review game videos and assess fines to players who dive or embellish a fall or a reaction, or who feigns injury in an attempt to draw penalties.

The first such incident will result in a warning letter being sent to the player.

The second such incident will result in a $1,000 fine.

The third such incident will result in a $2,000 fine.

The fourth such incident will result in a one-game suspension.

Public complaints or derogatory comments toward the game also will result in fines.

======

Definately adopt a system like that... I come to watch hockey not soccer. They should just skip the fines in the CHL and just go straight to suspensions or something of the sort.

Scout
07-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Juniors to follow NHL lead

By JIM CRESSMAN -- London Free Press

Canada's three major junior hockey leagues will adopt for the 2005-06 season all but two of the rule changes announced yesterday by the NHL.

OHL commissioner David Branch, also president of the Canadian Hockey League, said last night the major juniors will defer until 2006-07 reducing the size of goalie equipment and the moving of the goal lines back two feet.

That means the major juniors will, among other things, be using a shootout to decide tied games after overtime, be going back to the tagup offside and will be eliminating the centre red line for passes.

The juniors already have no-touch icing.

Branch said the CHL tries to play by NHL rules.

"We are the No. 1 development league in the world and we attempt to provide an environment similar to what our players will experience when they move to pro," he said.

The major juniors were aware of the impending NHL rule changes, Branch said.

"During the Memorial Cup in London, (NHL vice-president) Colin Campbell provided an overview to the three leagues of some of the initiatives the NHL was contemplating.

"We made it clear to the NHL that we would undertake to adopt what they identify as new rules."

Branch said time is a factor for equipment suppliers when it comes to the new goalie equipment "and it's just not possible for our suppliers to respond."

Scout