PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Stewart Coyle to Chiefs

Lucic
01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
The Spokane Chiefs have acquired 17-year-old defenseman Stewart Coyle from the Vancouver Giants in exchange for a sixth round selection in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.

Coyle, a 6’2”, 185 pound native of Sicamous, B.C., has appeared in 27 career WHL games, 17 this season with the Giants. In 20011-12, Coyle appeared in 10 games with the Kelowna Rockets and another 38 with the Sicamous Eagles of the KIJHL.

Lucic
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Makes sense with Atwal sticking with the team for the rest of the season. Coyle was the weakest link out of all the defensemen on the team, IMO.

dondo
01-09-2013, 08:19 PM
He was, but we paid more than that to acquire him and it does us no harm having a big young D-man in the wings. Dumb trade - the kid had some potential and it doesn't hurt us in the least to have him sit for a bunch of games as relief and depth. If we got something for him then okay, but to get a 6th was a complete waste. He's 17, not 19.

Lucic
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
He was, but we paid more than that to acquire him and it does us no harm having a big young D-man in the wings. Dumb trade - the kid had some potential and it doesn't hurt us in the least to have him sit for a bunch of games as relief and depth. If we got something for him then okay, but to get a 6th was a complete waste. He's 17, not 19.

I don't see Coyle ever developing into a regular player at the WHL level. He looked scared out there. I know a lot can change as a player gets older and gains confidence but I think we have better defenseman the same age currently on the roster.

With Tanner Moar retiring, the Giants essentially gave up two picks for Moar and Coyle and now only have this 6th round pick from Spokane to show for it.

dondo
01-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Tanner Moar retired? That's a new one on me. When did that happen?

I just see a 6th as a waste return -- we dealt better picks for two players who simply weren't that good, but if you are going to try to develop them then try to develop them. He was 17 - you and I have both seen esp D-men struggling as 17 year olds finally find their stride as 18 and 19 year olds. Coyle deserved a chance to step up and it's not like a 6th brings us anything worth even a marginal player.

Just another deal that didn't need to be done IMO

We are also smaller again and got worked over big time in the first period in Lethbridge. Giants had what sounded like a pretty easy second to me, but are now within striking distance.

Giantsfan
01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
We are also smaller again and got worked over big time in the first period in Lethbridge. Giants had what sounded like a pretty easy second to me, but are now within striking distance.

What do you mean "worked over"? The game wasn't at all rough & they sucked bigtime in the first but made a game of it until mid 3rd period.

Lucic
01-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Tanner Moar retired? That's a new one on me. When did that happen?

It hasn't been officially announced, but I heard the news from a reliable source.

We are also smaller again and got worked over big time in the first period in Lethbridge.

Smaller? Due to Coyle leaving? I don't recall Coyle throwing a body check. He may have some size but he sure as hell didn't use it.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree, the Giants would have been better off not trading for either Coyle or Moar. But Coyle barely played with the Giants, and with Atwal on the roster full time now Coyle wasn't going to get much more ice time. A trade probably benefits him. As for the Giants, they just have to cut their losses and move on. I know I'm not going to lose any sleep over 4th, 5th and 6th round picks.

dondo
01-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Coyle, Kessy, Trzonkowski injured, Wes out, Cheek played big and Moar brought size when he played.

Basically getting Moar and Coyle succeeded in us giving up moderately useful picks for what ends up being a 6th -- not necessarily forseeable, but if our scouting had been better maybe we could have avoided picking up marginal players for decent picks.

I agree with Atwal back and healthy, but with Wes out, it would be in their best interest to keep him on the roster 'til the end of the season, we both know the difference between a 17 year old and an older player.

Lucic
01-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Coyle, Kessy, Trzonkowski injured, Wes out, Cheek played big and Moar brought size when he played.

Including all those guys out with injury, I agree. I thought you were implying getting rid of Coyle made the Giants smaller.

I agree with Atwal back and healthy, but with Wes out, it would be in their best interest to keep him on the roster 'til the end of the season, we both know the difference between a 17 year old and an older player.

Normally I would agree, but I really didn't see anything at all in Coyle. At least with Atwal, I thought he looked good last season in limited action. Who knows, maybe down the road Coyle will turn out to be a serviceable player. At this point though, I'd rather see our defenseman on the ice instead. So this trade doesn't bother me one bit.

dondo
01-10-2013, 08:44 PM
my question is then - if he's so useless, why would the Chiefs ( a much better team than us with better depth) even give up a pick for him? I trust the Chiefs scouting over ours as of late.

I do like the Leone kid though he could turn out to be a very savvy free-agent signing.

Giantsfan
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Coyle didn't impress anyone in his short stint here, but he's young, maybe has some upside but the Giants didn't see any use for him. They did him a favor because he wasn't going to play here. He was easily their least valuable dman, but like I said, he's young so maybe down the road he'll play in the WHL.

Lucic
01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
my question is then - if he's so useless, why would the Chiefs ( a much better team than us with better depth) even give up a pick for him?

The Chiefs have lost a defenseman (Tanner Mort) for the rest of the season. So there was a hole that needed to be filled. And obviously Coyle came very cheap.

Again I highly doubt Coyle turns out to be much. There is a reason why Kelowna got rid of him for next to nothing. And I believe Arvin Atwal will be a much more useful defenseman for the Giants.