PDA

View Full Version : Cheeks goes for a song - freaking awful

dondo
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Seriously Bonner how dumb can you be? -- if you can't get more than a 2nd for a 20 year old linchpin kinda of player then don't so the deal - what the hell happened to veteran players garnering a quality player and a high pick? Hell - his veteran leadership for the young kids here forthe rest of the season is a hundred more valuable than a late second round pick, you dumb f__

This deal makes me sick

Giants Gain Draft Pick in Trade with Edmonton

The Giants have traded 20 year-old Trevor Cheek to the Edmonton Oil Kings in exchange for a second round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft.

Cheek, who was acquired by Vancouver from the Calgary Hitmen earlier this season, has played 39 games with the Giants, registering 18 goals and 14 assists.

Giantsfan
01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
You are way off base. You couldn't be more wrong. Check the fb page & you'll see some more views on this trade.

SectionNDeserter
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Seriously Bonner how dumb can you be? -- if you can't get more than a 2nd for a 20 year old linchpin kinda of player then don't so the dealI don't know what linchpin means, but I assume it means "second-liner on most of the top teams in the league".

what the hell happened to veteran players garnering a quality player and a high pick? Hell - his veteran leadership for the young kids here forthe rest of the season is a hundred more valuable than a late second round pickElite veteran players garner a quality player and a high pick, players like Cheek have never garnered that sort of a return. Most of the teams in the league that are buyers this time of the season, already have better overage players than him--which does devalue him somewhat. I think they did ok to get a second rounder, but you could be right about just hanging on to him. As it stands though, it does free up a lot of ice time for some of the younger guys.

Lucic
01-09-2013, 09:36 PM
No offense to Cheek, but we aren't talking about a Brayden Schenn here if you will. If a team was willing to offer a 1st round pick for Cheek I'm confident Bonner would have made that deal in a heartbeat. A 2nd round pick is likely the best offer the Giants were going to get. Cheek is a very good player, but he is far from elite. Personally I would have liked to see Bonner get a younger player back in return, but that may not have been an option. Having 8 picks in the first three rounds of the draft gives the Giants a lot of flexibility. Bonner could use some of those picks to acquire a younger player from another team. Maybe not by tomorrow's trade deadline but during the off season. The Giants have set themselves up pretty well looking toward the future. And let's be realistic here. The team wasn't even scoring WITH Cheek in the line up. It's only fair to Trevor to give him a legitimate opportunity to play for the Ed Chynoweth Cup and a possible pro contract.

What did you expect in return for Cheek dondo? I mean, you can't be surprised he was traded. We all knew that was going to happen.

dondo
01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
funny a fair amount of people on there agree with me, feel we should have got a player as well as a pick. Others argue the non-argument - "how do we know what he could get?" - well we can't that's why it's an opinion. Bonner's track record this season has not IMO been good.

I still say that we already have seconds in spades this season, but we are lacking veteran leadership for the young players and if you can't get what you think a player is worth then don't make the trade. Cheek is more valuable as a mentor than a second round pick. Now Cheek could have demanded (or strongly asked for) a trade to a contender and Bonner was willing to get less to give him that opportunity, but I think Bonner has to be a bit more selfish here and do what is best for the team and I don't think a second cuts it.

You also really need to back off words like you are so wrong. I am not wrong, there is no wrong in this case. I say he is worth more as a component of team leadership than as a second round pick and I stand by it.

I personally don't think Bonner is very good at making trades and often gets less than what he should in some situations. We have dealt players that he has traded for for less than their original value. We got a small Tristan Sieben that duplicated less than what we already had in Popoff and Ast among others. We got McEvoy a hard worker with no real offensive upside for Burns who may be lazy, but has offensive upside. We already had many players just like McEvoy as well. Occasionally we get lucky, but I don't think Bonner got Kessy's worth either.

It's an opinion, it's my opinion and it's shared by quite a few fans. That's what a board is for GF - discussion - weighing opinions and ideas and expectations. That's what fans do.

dondo
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
What did you expect in return for Cheek dondo? I mean, you can't be surprised he was traded. We all knew that was going to happen.

at least a decent young prospect as well.

He has 32 pts in 38 games with us and one of the few players scoring. If you can't get more than a second then don't do the deal. I would have preferred to have him as a mentor to the kids for the next couple of months than as a late second round pick.

I have to say that Scott has frustrated me with his trades the past couple of seasons and other teams are getting more for similar players, so it's not out of the realm. It's also the trade deadline and prices go up for marketable players and although Cheek is not Schenn -- he is to this team. With only a couple of 19s and couple of 20s on the team right now unless they get better than decent return then don't make the trade.

Were you posting on fb already - that post looks awfully familiar. ;)

Lucic
01-09-2013, 11:08 PM
at least a decent young prospect as well.

So you were expecting, or at least hoping for a 2nd round pick and a young player in return?

I can understand hoping for that, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. Personally I was just hoping for a younger player in return (not including any draft picks). That said, the value of a 20 year old isn't that high unless you are trying to move an elite 20 year old. And Cheek doesn't fit into that category.

Simply put, the Giants give up a 4th and a 5th round pick to acquire Cheek and they move him to Edmonton for a 2nd round pick. I'm not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination, but that is a pretty good return, IMO. There isn't any GM in the world that wouldn't trade a 4th and 5th round pick for a 2nd round pick.

He has 32 pts in 38 games with us and one of the few players scoring. If you can't get more than a second then don't do the deal. I would have preferred to have him as a mentor to the kids for the next couple of months than as a late second round pick.

It's also the trade deadline and prices go up for marketable players and although Cheek is not Schenn -- he is to this team. With only a couple of 19s and couple of 20s on the team right now unless they get better than decent return then don't make the trade.

I disagree here on both accounts. As of now Cheek meant very little to the Giants. He is a warm body for another two months until the season is over. Then the Giants lose him for good. That may sound harsh but it's the truth. And that isn't a knock on Cheek at all, it's just the reality of the situation. This team isn't going anywhere, and even with Cheek in the line up the team struggles to score goals and loses more often than not. Holding onto him when he does have some value around the league is foolish, IMO. And the Giants holding onto Cheek simply because they can't get a prospect or a 1st round pick for him is pretty selfish and disrespectful to Cheek. He deserves a chance to finish his WHL career on a contending team and earn a pro contract.

Were you posting on fb already - that post looks awfully familiar. ;)

Yes, I posted that on Facebook earlier in the evening before reading your post here. I didn't want to essentially type up the same exact thing over again. So I took advantage of copy and paste. :p

patsdude114
01-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Simply put, the Giants give up a 4th and a 5th round pick to acquire Cheek and they move him to Edmonton for a 2nd round pick. I'm not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination, but that is a pretty good return, IMO. There isn't any GM in the world that wouldn't trade a 4th and 5th round pick for a 2nd round pick.

agruement goes to Lucic cuz of this statement alone, not sure what Dondo expects for a Cheek type player but he is hardly worth a 2nd rd pick which is why the Hitmen didnt seek it to begin with, the price did go up cuz it was trade deadline....plain & simple.

I can agree with Dondo on 1 thing tho that maybe keeping him around for the young players sake to help them grow & mature into hockey players for next season could of been a way to go about it as well... but hey u could always pick up Riley Miller for that:groovy:

Giantsfan
01-10-2013, 01:28 AM
funny a fair amount of people on there agree with me, feel we should have got a player as well as a pick. Others argue the non-argument - "how do we know what he could get?" - well we can't that's why it's an opinion. Bonner's track record this season has not IMO been good.

How is that a non argument? It's fact. We have no idea what other teams have offered. I thought Scott got great value for Nathan Burns, Musil & Cheek & the Giants got younger & toughness for Kessy. He lost on the Whistle deal cut ties with Bellerive because he didn't wanna be here. I don't think the Whistle loss is that big because Lee is the goalie of the future & I would have been happy going with Lee & Fuhr. Liston was a bust. They also would have kept McNaughton but hindsight is 20/20. I like that the team is bigger, younger & tougher than they were at the start of the season.

You also really need to back off words like you are so wrong. I am not wrong, there is no wrong in this case. I say he is worth more as a component of team leadership than as a second round pick and I stand by it.

Sorry, you're right but that's just my emotional side talking. But I still think it was the best case to get a pick for someone who won't be here in another 2 months & won't make much difference for the team standings.

I personally don't think Bonner is very good at making trades and often gets less than what he should in some situations. We have dealt players that he has traded for for less than their original value. We got a small Tristan Sieben that duplicated less than what we already had in Popoff and Ast among others. We got McEvoy a hard worker with no real offensive upside for Burns who may be lazy, but has offensive upside. We already had many players just like McEvoy as well. Occasionally we get lucky, but I don't think Bonner got Kessy's worth either.

I've talked with Scott many times & his brother Craig too & Scott isn't well liked by many GMs because he has fleeced them so many times. He has told me this & if you look, you will notice basically the same teams that Scott trades with, with a few exceptions like the the trade with the Royals. It really cuts down the teams he can deal with. Seattle is a team that he won't deal with & it's too bad because they've had some players like Doty or Elliot that I would like to see on the Giants in years past. I like McEvoy, but guys like Ast & Sward can go anytime. They've had lots of icetime but I don't see results.

It's an opinion, it's my opinion and it's shared by quite a few fans. That's what a board is for GF - discussion - weighing opinions and ideas and expectations. That's what fans do.

I agree, it's fun to be the armchair GM & opinions aren't wrong. I guess we'll agree to disagree on the route Scott is taking.

Giantsfan
01-10-2013, 01:35 AM
I also think in many cases he picks up players that Hay wants. He has told me many times that he could pick up (insert name) but Don won't play him so what's the point.

Hay is gone after this season anyways, so maybe Bonner's sticking with his plan not Hay's.

dondo
01-10-2013, 02:19 AM
I don't have the benefit of Scott's or even Craig's ear so I guess I'll struggle on best I can. ;)

I really do think that Cheek's value to the team out-weighs what we got in return. I had someone remind me what we gave up to get Cheek (so a second is valid I suppose ;) ), but then I think he has grown since he has been here and has become a major component of the team as a motivator and a mentor.

Something like that could be worth sacrificing a 2nd round pick. I think two months of practice and games and passing along excellent work habits and attitude is worth it's weight in gold. Cheek is everything we want players on our team to be, not sure how another 2nd round pick gives us that kind of value.

As for McEvoy he finally scored his first goal as a Giants tonight, but although I love his work ethic his skill is suspect. Sward and Ast both have better skill, but need time to develop.

Ast is 17 and Sward is 18. Ast works his butt off every night by my observation and when he finds his groove could easily be a James Henry type of productive player. I still think Sward has a Machacek level of game in him and if you take the time and watch how well he plays without the puck you would know why I like his game so much.

Lucic
01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Let's all keep in mind that Bonner may not be done acquiring players. Maybe tomorrow Bonner makes a trade we all can be in favor of. Or maybe he makes another trade which creates a ton of controversy! :p

Either way, as of now, I like that the young guys are going to get a lot more ice time and that this team has a ton of high picks for the upcoming draft. This season has been rough and the team has hit rock bottom. But things can only get better from here. And if the Giants are lucky enough to end up with Tyler Benson nobody will even remember the Trevor Cheek trade or some of the questionable moves Bonner has made. :PBJ Time:

I honestly believe the team is better off right now than they were a couple of days ago.

Trav
01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow, someone is complaining cuz their team ONLY got a 2nd round pick for a player that's gone after this year? Come on Dondo lol, Cheek isn't worth a player AND a pick. Considering what Bonnor gave up to get Cheek in the first place, u should be laughing rite now.

Priceisright
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Wow, was he our leading scorer? I must have been asleep at the games :p I hardly ever noticed him out there.

dondo
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I predict Cheek will be a major contributor for the Oil Kings in the playoffs - and yes a player and a pick --- I may be insane, but at least I am consistent.

What we gave up was for a different Cheek though. He found a real place here and was more than most people think to this team. I'm gonna miss seeing him on the ice. How many OAs would play that hard for a bottom feeding team? Maybe I just have a soft spot for him and believe he should be worth a player and a pick - I'll even go for a player and a third round pick :p but that's my final offer ;)

dondo
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Wow, was he our leading scorer? I must have been asleep at the games :p I hardly ever noticed him out there.

I know you are being a smart ass, but he was our second top scorer after Houck - for a team that is struggling for offense that's kind of important :p

Giantsfan
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Cheek isn't going to get the ice time in Edmonton like he did here. He was first line, first pp unit etc.. Edmonton has a lot more depth than Vancouver so I wouldn't expect to see Cheek get the icetime he did here. I really enjoyed watching him & it's too bad to see him go, but it was a good move by Bonner.

scrunt
01-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Hay is gone after this season anyways, so maybe Bonner's sticking with his plan not Hay's.

I can't believe this comment has been dangling out there this long without comment. So, Giantsfan, what do you know?

Or, to quote a fantastic film:

Doug the Head (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717372/): Ah. The unlicensed boxer, eh? Do you know something that I don't?
Franky Four Fingers (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001125/): Bubbe, I probably know a lot you don't.

Giantsfan
01-11-2013, 01:25 AM
I can't believe this comment has been dangling out there this long without comment. So, Giantsfan, what do you know?

I know that it's true, & I'm not saying how I know, or why he's leaving or who told me. What I would like to know is if Bonner has someone in mind or is Hanlon going to be offered the job.

Lucic
01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
What we gave up was for a different Cheek though.

Not really. The Cheek we traded for was a 20 goal scorer and about a 50 point guy. The Cheek we had was on pace for around the same totals. Possibly even less due to the team he was on. I understand you obviously liked Cheek a lot but in the big picture a 2nd round pick for Trevor Cheek is a very good return.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for him and believe he should be worth a player and a pick - I'll even go for a player and a third round pick :p but that's my final offer ;)

If it makes you feel any better Bonner did say last night (on Sportstalk) that he probably could have gotten a little more for Cheek if he traded him to another team other than Edmonton. However Edmonton has helped out the Giants in the past (the Brett Breitkreuz and Tomas Vincour acquisitions in particular) so he felt he "owed" Bob Green a favor. And I can understand that. The Giants got both Breitkreuz and Vincour for next to nothing.

dondo
01-12-2013, 10:09 PM
^ interesting ... verrry interesting -- I guess I should never begrudge a 20 yr old a chance at playing with a contender and Bonner's comments actually make sense. Good luck Trevor make us proud. :)