PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Americans 9 - Jan 16, 2013

dondo
01-18-2013, 12:30 AM
didn't see this one and part of me is happy for that fact.

Ams Crush Giants
Vancouver 5 Tri-City 9

I did not see or listen to this one so this will be a quick recap based upon the WHL stats sheet for the game. Giants cough up yet another goal in the first two minutes, then get behind by three allowing an even-strength, PP and SH’d goal against in the opening frame. Sadly the Ams only got 5 shots on the Giants net in the period. Jared Rathjen opened the game and was replaced after allowing a 6th goal against. It might be time to pull him a bit earlier, maybe after allowing five straight goals against would be a thought. The G’s scored 2 in the second and 3 in the third, but the Ams notched 4 in the second and 2 in the third to keep their lead healthy.

Tri-City opened the scoring 1:30 into the game. They added a PP marker within the final five minutes and heaped on an insulting SH’d tally about a minute after that. The Ams followed that up with a goal 1:00 into the second and a PP marker a couple of minutes later. Travis McEvoy broke the goose-egg 19 seconds after the Americans 5th goal. The Ams replied with two more, before the Giants found twine again. Tristan Sieben notched a PP marker late in the second, assisted by Reid Zalitach and Travis McEvoy. Tri-City added two goals early in the third and the Giants replied with three unanswered in the final frame to close out the game, make it look close score-wise, but it really wasn’t. Luca Leone scored, assisted by Brendan Rouse and Taylor Vickerman. Thomas Foster was assisted by McEvoy. Dalton Sward, was assisted by Jason Trott and Anthony Ast. One of the positives I can see is that the scoring was spread throughout the line-up and McEvoy if no other Giant had a strong night.

Fight Night: Kyle Krabben v. Ryan Chynoweth. Jason Trott v. Lucas Nickles

Zebra Cage: Brett Iverson on his own. Giants got the majority of PP chances, which is a rarity when they play the Americans who run pick plays as a matter of course and rarely get caught on them, but it seemed they were being caught for feisty penalties in this one.

The Ams out shot the Giants 28-24. The visitors went 2 for 3 on their PP, while the G’s were 1 for 6 on their chances. Tyler Morrison was a tough –4 on the night. The kind of game the Giants tend to play versus the Ams. The Kennewick squad rarely have a tough time finding twine and for years now have been the masters of lying in the weeds and capitalizing on sloppy puck play. I can envision the kind of game it was and I am glad I wasn’t there grinding my teeth in my seat watching it.

Up Next: The Giants take on the Royals on Friday night. The Royals just beat Kamloops two straight in Victoria. I expect Lee will get the start for the G’s. Let’s hope the Giants aren’t too eager to put themselves in a hole again before they begin to play their bounce-back game.

Three Stars

1. Jesse Mychan
2. Justin Feser
3. Travis McEvoy

Giantsfan
01-18-2013, 08:23 AM
The Giants ran scared from Walter. The guys not that tough but he intimidated the team all night. Giants were turning him down, Geertson, Houck, Sward, Trott & Kulak. It was embarrassing that the Ams of all teams, come in to "our" barn & intimidated the Giants. I don't know why Bonner never picked up a legit guy, something this team has needed for years.

It's not going to be any better with Stahl & co. coming in tonight. Without Wes, Tzronkowski, Cooke, & the other guys (Kessy, Moar) this team is going to be run out of the building. Victoria is a tough team, the can play aggressive & back it up. I believe the last time they were here, was Kessy's first & best game where he intimidated them, & they got destroyed. I think tonight will be just the opposite.

dondo
01-19-2013, 02:29 AM
I hear Rathjen was pulled earlier, but Lee took a skate to the head (one of our boy's skates) and didn't come out for the third. Tonight getting manhandled was not the Giants problem, special teams and bad goals were - maybe Lee is still a bit bell-rung, as he looked stunned tonight as pucks drifted past him.