PDA

View Full Version : Regina pats 2000-present

Bighat
01-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Bored so I went through the years because fans have been hard on the pats saying we haven't had good teams and bad management. So in the last 13 years we have missed the playoffs 4 times not bad ifu ask me, now on the other hand Saskatoon has had some rough yrs during this period including a 7 win season. I think we're on the upswing after this year with alot of good yrs ahead of us and our friends to the north are in a lot of trouble. Just a rant.

lordstanley
01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Bored so I went through the years because fans have been hard on the pats saying we haven't had good teams and bad management. So in the last 13 years we have missed the playoffs 4 times not bad ifu ask me, now on the other hand Saskatoon has had some rough yrs during this period including a 7 win season. I think we're on the upswing after this year with alot of good yrs ahead of us and our friends to the north are in a lot of trouble. Just a rant.

Yes we did have a 7 win season way back in 03-04 lol and as of late they have had 4 40 win seasons and 1 of them was a 56 win season

dsquared
01-21-2013, 10:14 AM

The Pats have been stuck in the mud under the Parker's - If you exclude the Memorial Cup Year those Pats have made it past the first round of the playoffs once - no other team can claim such a pathetic record.

The Pats have been in a "Ground Hog's Day" scenario for the last 12-13 years:

they draft poorly or run into injury problems
They then have to trade future draft picks for their current shortfall
Then they have fewer drafts picks to pick up new talent and repeat the cycle over and over.

The way to break the cycle is to stop trading future draft picks and let them take their lumps

patsdude114
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Looks like this year is no different, after the 5 game winning streak we were on to pull into 8th we have failed to get a single point in the last 5 games & now sit 7pts behind 8th. With today's loser point in games it makes it that much harder to gain that ground back the pats will miss the playoffs now & season ticket holders will get a slight refund/credit towards next yrs tickets from the 1st 2 playoff games that we paay for in our package (which is a money grab/investment for a 6month period)

Looks like the pats will have a top 5 pick in the up coming Bantam draft, last time the Pats had a pick that high we selected Klimchuk let's hope there is anothe gem in line for the Pats. Even though its not going to help us with next yrs team so realisticly this players is 3yrs away from making any impact as most 16yr olds have very little impact to a WHL club.

RWAH
01-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I have not given up on a post season appearance yet but it will need a big winning percentage. We have 24 games remaining 8 of which are Brandon or Moose Jaw, 4 are Calgary or Edmonton and 2 are PA. All the other teams in front of us we play only once.

It is true you build a team by accumulating draft picks and then picking well. You must sell when you have assests to sell (eberle, toelbert, weal, scheidle, jobke) Now don't jump on me yet. To trade you need a partner and that is not always easy to work out and I think that has been the case for some of our non-trades. You must buy when you have a legitiment opportunity to go deep in the playoffs Last year we gave up a first and second round picks for 5 playoff games. That first round pick (2012)we traded to PG, they traded to Everett and picked Brad Morrison whom scored a goal against us this year (as a call up). IMO you should not trade 1st rounders unless you can make a run for the league championship

Vancouver has amassed 7 picks in the first 3 rounds is 2013 and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2014 in 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons they should be in the elite teams in the league. In contrast the Pats have 2 picks in each of those drafts.

mjw22
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
RWAH I agree with that rebuild statement. Sometimes asking too much or not trading to play one round costs you for awhile. Next year I hope Millar moves Fioretti Brown and IF hes back Rielly at the deadline . Unless a team is sure they can get into the 2nd round whats the sence. Not a lot of upsets in round one to risk it.

patsdude114
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
It is true you build a team by accumulating draft picks and then picking well. You must sell when you have assests to sell (eberle, toelbert, weal, scheidle, jobke) Now don't jump on me yet. To trade you need a partner and that is not always easy to work out and I think that has been the case for some of our non-trades. You must buy when you have a legitiment opportunity to go deep in the playoffs Last year we gave up a first and second round picks for 5 playoff games. That first round pick (2012)we traded to PG, they traded to Everett and picked Brad Morrison whom scored a goal against us this year (as a call up). IMO you should not trade 1st rounders unless you can make a run for the league championship

Vancouver has amassed 7 picks in the first 3 rounds is 2013 and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2014 in 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons they should be in the elite teams in the league. In contrast the Pats have 2 picks in each of those drafts.

I dont disagree with u at all but unfortunately money talks & that was the key contributor to the Pats bringing in Marincin last year at trade deadline. Fans were threating to not renew season tickets if they didnt make the playoffs. Unfortunately Lang ended up with the wrong guy when it came to brining in offfense, we didnt need a offensive Dman as we needed a forward for the 2nd line to take pressure off Weal but that is all in the past.... Even without a 1st round pick the Pats had a very strong draft.

Unfortunately in this city if we dont have a somewhat decent team on the ice no 1 comes cuz there is so much more to do for entertainment value then in the Moose Jaw's or Brandon's or Prince Albert's...

We wouldnt even be in the postition were in now had we not missed 200 man games due to injury in the 1st 1/2 of the year & it would of made Lang tempted to bring in a guy so maybe its a good thing we had all those injuries & put us in the position we were in. One of the positives from all of it is landing McCoy from RD, before his injury he had met & exceeded all expectations & will strengthen us for the rest of this year & especially for next season.

Next season i believe McCoy will be our #2 center behind Stephenson, i dont see Ouellette here at all as a 20yr old, if by chance he is he will be moved to the wing.