PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Benson

Andrej_The_Giant
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Not sure if anybody else has been paying any attention to this kid but he is potentially the future of the Vancouver Giants. Playing for the Southgate Lions in the AMBHL and recently broke the league record for points previously held by Ty Rattie (131 points). At my last check, Benson has 53 goals, 84 assists for 137 points in just 29 games! At age 14 he's already 5"11" and 180 lbs. Arguably one of the best prospects available for this year's WHL Bantam Draft and a likely choice with the 1st overall pick and potentially the first player (to my knowlege) in Dub history to receiver Exceptional Status as a 15 year old. Here's hoping that Benson will be the silver lining on this year's disaster of a season once it's all said and done.

Giantsfan
02-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately, even when the season is done, & the Giants finish last, they only have a 33% chance of landing Benson because of the draft lottery. It would be great if they do get the first selection & take Benson because this team needs a "star", someone who will get people excited about this team again. They have lost a lot of season ticket holders over the last few years & since they have nobody on the current team to be excited about, Benson would be a good start.
The Giants have been a very successful team over the last 8 years but there have been many things have started to annoy the loyal fans, the ones who have been there from the beginning.

They need a fresh face behind the bench for a start. Hay has run his course here, & there are parents who have told the Giants not to bother to draft their kid because they don't want anything to do with Hay.

They need to be much bigger & go get a knuckle dragger. I don't care if he can't put the puck in the ocean, this team has been pushed around, year after year, & teams have no respect for the Giants & it shows. Go find the biggest, toughest kid because Benson will need protection. It's great that guys like Cooke & Houck drop the mitts on occasion, but let's be honest, they are not even on the WHL's top 30 tough guy list. Wes is gone after this season, & Geertsen has zero interest in dropping the mitts.

They also need a proper station that will not bump them for another team. (whitecaps, canadians, lions) They also need a radio play by play man, not five in one year.

There are many other issues but these are just a few that really annoy me, & others I have spoken to.

dondo
02-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Benson would be an amazing kid to get and right now we have the best chance to do that. Those numbers are insane and his size is incredible at that age.

I love all of this inside info you purport to have GF, yet I have not seen one of your predictions actually come true this season.

There's no point getting a pure enforcer that can't play. If you haven't noticed lately one thing Bonner has been doing is acquiring bigger players trying to fix that disparity. Some of those deals got us big players who couldn't play and they are no longer here.

If you were paying attention to how Geertsen crushed some of his opponents in the Central Division road trip then you would realize he is willing and able to drop the mitts. We have only got pushed around by a few teams this year (and not every time we play them), the last few seasons I agree we have not pushed back, but this year we have held our own, stuck up for our players and seem to have a decent team unity. It is a rebuilding year in its purest sense.

High picks (Benson would be phenomenal) will help give us some pure talent with size. With depth picks for sveral years we have either had to go size or skill and we have tended to go skill.

I completely disagree we dont have players to be excited about. Maybe not Brule-level excitement, but players like Stukel and Foster and young defenders like Zalitach, Atwal, Geertsen and some of the mid-range players like Sward who might still find a dominant game, as well as the big kid we got who had an unfortunate season ending injury Rob Trzonkowski will be 18 next year. He has the potential to be a power forward and an enforcer. Vickerman has size and some skill and the potential to be better. I know you don't like Ast, but he works hard and Popoff has some nice skills as well and would fit well as an offensive support player.

To be honest I am finding this time to be exciting as it is something we haven't seen since the start of the franchise. We have quite a few high picks in this years draft and will be able to get those linch-pin players who will be part of our future. I am not looking at the win column this season, but I am looking at effort and progress and I like a lot of what I see.

As for Hay I admit I am frustrated with his biases and inability to adjust his teaching style to accomodate pure skill guys who might not fit his ideal mold, but I cannot see the guys having a problem with how he rewards his players as hard work and good work usually warrants extra ice-time. If you earn it you tend to get it. I'm not sure what else a player might want.

I don't include goalies in that mix-- the Giants really seriously need to change the way they handle their netminders.

definitely agree with regard to radio coverage and having a single home with one play by play guy for home and away.

welcome to the boards Andrej

Giantsfan
02-02-2013, 03:18 AM
I haven't seen ANYTHING from Vickerman that excites me or leads me to believe he'll be a scorer. He could, but all I see is a kid skating around & getting zero results. Same with Foster. He looks completely lost out there, can't keep up & maybe he'll be a goal scorer, or maybe not. Ast & Sward were supposed to be goal scorers & they aren't. Ast can't stay off the IR & when he's in the lineup, he's pretty limited on what he brings. Sward's best asset is his penalty killing. Other than that, he's a non factor almost every night, no dominant games in him. If you haven't noticed, Geertsen dropped the mitts a few times during the AB road trip against a couple guys he played against. He has not brought it at all at home, & IMO doesn't seem interested in tossin' the knuckles. I saw Walter run around, challenge everyone in sight, Trott, Kulak, Houck, & Geertsen & nobody did anything. It was embarrassing. I like some of the players like Atwal Leone, Zalitach, Lee & Morrison, but none of them excite me.

What inside info are you talking about that didn't come true?

I was finding this team exciting to watch up until about the Christmas break. They had some great games but lately, it's lose, lose, lose without any passion, physical play or excitement. Hell, they let Stahl, once again, pick apart another player & did nothing about it. This team needs a heavyweight. This type of stuff most likely wouldn't happen if we had the league's toughest guy. The team wouldn't be pushed around. It doesn't help that Wes, Cooke & Trzonkowksi are out, but none of them scare the opposition.
Which big players did Bonner acquire that couldn't play that aren't here? Who are you talking about?

sbtatter
02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the plan is for benson to come to Brandon;)

Andrej_The_Giant
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the welcome dondo, I've been lurking here for a while and excited to finally share in some discussions (although the activation process was tedious, I was waiting for my account to be activated since Monday).

I'm with Giantsfan on this, this team needs to be tougher. I remember a game early in the season against Calgary watching the pre-game skate and looking at the size of the team the Hitmen came to town with and compared it to our's, it was pretty embarrassing. It's nice that we're starting to slowly add some more size but the guys we get need to be able to use it. I don't think I've seen any big hits dished out by Geertsen in the games I've seen since his arrival.

Sward and Ast are lost causes to me as well, would not shed a tear at all if either aren't on the roster next September. Foster I know was a high pick but the numbers just aren't there and I don't see him as a threat either when he's got the puck. I realize he's just 16 this year but I don't see much upside.

The only guys on the team whose potential really excites me is Houck and Lee when he's not letting in floaters from center ice and actually allowed to play (seriously, Rathjen again last night?!). Even our prospects I'm concerned about aside from Stukel. I'm worried about Ronning's size.

I think our chances at getting the 1st overall pick are better than just 33%. As long as the second and third worst teams (whoever they end up being - Prince George? Brandon?) don't win the lottery we'll be in a position to take Benson. It would be a huge shot in the arm to finally bring in a kid to get people out to the Coliseum again.

Also heard some rumblings that Matt Barzal might not be keen on playing for Seattle and the Giants are supposedly kicking the tires.

rinkrat
02-02-2013, 12:26 PM

This.

Hay is gone after this season anyways, so maybe Bonner's sticking with his plan not Hay's.

Want to lay some $$ on this?

Giantsfan
02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
The season isn't over yet so how can that be not true?

I talk to people in the media (not 1040 clowns) & scouts & people within the organization & they are all saying Hay won't be back.

rinkrat
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I haven't seen ANYTHING from Vickerman that excites me or leads me to believe he'll be a scorer. He could, but all I see is a kid skating around & getting zero results. Same with Foster. He looks completely lost out there, can't keep up & maybe he'll be a goal scorer, or maybe not. Ast & Sward were supposed to be goal scorers & they aren't. Ast can't stay off the IR & when he's in the lineup, he's pretty limited on what he brings. Sward's best asset is his penalty killing. Other than that, he's a non factor almost every night, no dominant games in him. If you haven't noticed, Geertsen dropped the mitts a few times during the AB road trip against a couple guys he played against. He has not brought it at all at home, & IMO doesn't seem interested in tossin' the knuckles. I saw Walter run around, challenge everyone in sight, Trott, Kulak, Houck, & Geertsen & nobody did anything. It was embarrassing. I like some of the players like Atwal Leone, Zalitach, Lee & Morrison, but none of them excite me.

I was finding this team exciting to watch up until about the Christmas break. They had some great games but lately, it's lose, lose, lose without any passion, physical play or excitement. Hell, they let Stahl, once again, pick apart another player & did nothing about it. This team needs a heavyweight. This type of stuff most likely wouldn't happen if we had the league's toughest guy. The team wouldn't be pushed around. It doesn't help that Wes, Cooke & Trzonkowksi are out, but none of them scare the opposition.
Which big players did Bonner acquire that couldn't play that aren't here? Who are you talking about?

The season isn't over yet so how can that be not true?

I talk to people in the media (not 1040 clowns) & scouts & people within the organization & they are all saying Hay won't be back.

Teams don't hire coaches mid season without an opening. Since the NHL season just started and there are no openings, I call BS. Unless Don is retiring, which I also call BS to, he loves the game too much.

If you are suggesting Hay is getting fired, then you really are out to lunch.

I don't think its really fair to throw out BS rumours like this either.

Lucic
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
The hope of getting a player like Benson is the only silver lining in this season. I do believe Bonner has set up this organization pretty well for the next two drafts and I figure we will see some wheeling and dealing in the off season acquiring a few younger bodies in exchange for some of the surplus of picks.

I'm always a proponent of getting more toughness as I believe it is essential to winning and having a successful team. And right now I think the Giants are a pretty soft team. Geertsen has been disappointing, IMO. I think his all around game has evolved and improved since being with Edmonton but his physicality and aggressiveness has dwindled. He is only 17, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus. I just hope after being drafted this summer he'll come back even more motivated and play with more of an edge to his game.

The Giants only had success when they were a hard nosed team that was hard to play against. They haven't been that type of team for several years. Is that a coincidence? Maybe. But I don't think so.

As far as Don Hay, I won't be disappointed if he returns, but that said, I wouldn't be sad if he doesn't either. I think he has ran his course here. I've noticed some philosophy changes within his coaching style that I am not in favor of. I think he's gone a bit soft and he's tried to adapt to the new game with little success. Some fresh blood with new eyes and a new mindset could benefit this team, IMO. Plus I'm not fully convinced Hay wants to go through a complete rebuild. I guess only time will tell.

Giantsfan
02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Teams don't hire coaches mid season without an opening. Since the NHL season just started and there are no openings, I call BS. Unless Don is retiring, which I also call BS to, he loves the game too much.

If you are suggesting Hay is getting fired, then you really are out to lunch.

I don't think its really fair to throw out BS rumours like this either.

Who said it's BS? Not me.

N.W. Bruin
02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Basically it isn't a guarantee but they are the favorite.

Giants will have six of the twenty one balls in play.

6 Balls
5 Balls
4 Balls
3 Balls
2 Balls
1 Ball

So really the teams with 5 and 4 balls are the only real concern as one can only move up two spots. So 12 of the 21 games gives them the number one pick.

Not sure how 33% came in. Unless Giantsfan thought only the bottom three get one ball each. Kamloops actually won the lottery couple years ago with one ball and moved to number four spot.

Andrej_The_Giant
02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Basically it isn't a guarantee but they are the favorite.

Giants will have six of the twenty one balls in play.

6 Balls
5 Balls
4 Balls
3 Balls
2 Balls
1 Ball

So really the teams with 5 and 4 balls are the only real concern as one can only move up two spots. So 12 of the 21 games gives them the number one pick.

Not sure how 33% came in. Unless Giantsfan thought only the bottom three get one ball each. Kamloops actually won the lottery couple years ago with one ball and moved to number four spot.

Yep, a better than 50% chance that we end up 1st overall. Can't wait for the draft lottery to happen next month.

And the updated totals for Benson - 32 games; 56 goals; 88 assists; 144 points.

Lucic
02-09-2013, 03:32 PM
The lowest the Giants can pick is #2 overall. Assuming they finish last which I think is almost a given. Although that #2 pick would look awfully disappointing under the circumstances.

The Giants are the worst team in the league (and I'm not talking about the obvious, as in the standings). I'm talking about talent pool and prospects wise. They desperately need a guy like Benson.

Giantsfan
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
There was an interview with one of the Giants scouts during an intermission around New Years. He had mentioned that it was a 33% chance the Giants have. I didn't say it. I'm just paraphrasing what was said.

Andrej_The_Giant
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Tyler's final stats for this season:

57 goals, 89 assits; 146 points (and a 57% chance to be a Vancouver Giant!)

Lucic
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Tyler's final stats for this season:

57 goals, 89 assits; 146 points (and a 57% chance to be a Vancouver Giant!)

57.1% chance! Don't sell their odds short! :p ;)

sbtatter
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
57.1% chance! Don't sell their odds short! :p ;)

Come on guys, be nice and let him come to the wheat city as compensation for a TERRIBLE season;)

dondo
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Come on guys, be nice and let him come to the wheat city as compensation for a TERRIBLE season;)

um .. no and our season was much worse ;):p

sbtatter
03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
um .. no and our season was much worse ;):p

You guys got any consensus top 3 picks in the draft? I hope the Wheaties don't be stupid and win both the games against MJ and give them the lottery pick:burningmad:
On the bright side, we have our pick, toons pick and of course another high pick in the 2nd so should have 3 picks in the top 25 which "should" yield some good players!!

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately, even when the season is done, & the Giants finish last, they only have a 33% chance of landing Benson because of the draft lottery. It would be great if they do get the first selection & take Benson because this team needs a "star", someone who will get people excited about this team again. They have lost a lot of season ticket holders over the last few years & since they have nobody on the current team to be excited about, Benson would be a good start.
The Giants have been a very successful team over the last 8 years but there have been many things have started to annoy the loyal fans, the ones who have been there from the beginning.

They need a fresh face behind the bench for a start. Hay has run his course here, & there are parents who have told the Giants not to bother to draft their kid because they don't want anything to do with Hay.

They need to be much bigger & go get a knuckle dragger. I don't care if he can't put the puck in the ocean, this team has been pushed around, year after year, & teams have no respect for the Giants & it shows. Go find the biggest, toughest kid because Benson will need protection. It's great that guys like Cooke & Houck drop the mitts on occasion, but let's be honest, they are not even on the WHL's top 30 tough guy list. Wes is gone after this season, & Geertsen has zero interest in dropping the mitts.

They also need a proper station that will not bump them for another team. (whitecaps, canadians, lions) They also need a radio play by play man, not five in one year.

There are many other issues but these are just a few that really annoy me, & others I have spoken to.

OMG i just found this! I couldnt agree more with everything you said. I have been with Giants from day one as well.

Well said. One more game. And a few months of alot of work...on, off ice. The play by play thing has been a circus the past few years!

Giantsfan
03-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks, anything you'd like to add? That was just the tip of the iceberg.

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 12:22 AM

Cute :p, guess we will find out.

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks, anything you'd like to add? That was just the tip of the iceberg.

Well you really did hit the main ones! I am definitely not set on Lee being number one. We definitely have to find a true number 1 in my mind , also someone to help him. He is still young. We cant afford to give goals up within the first 5 shots of a game lol...saw that many times. Im not giving up on him just think we need to be solid in goal!

And the PR sucks for the giants too. I notice beat writers seem to have to pull teeth to get information from the team.

I find out quicker here!

I sure hope we get the first pick ! We need it.

Giantsfan
03-16-2013, 12:34 AM
In my opinion, Don Hay has to go. There are a lot of rumblings around whether he will or not. I've spoken to many people in the know, & I've heard that this is his last season, to, it's too tough to say. The Giants have had their biggest & most successful seasons with Hay as the coach, but they have also had some early exits, & their worst season under Hay. I believe that every coach has a lifespan with a team, & as successful as Don has been, he's also not been in the last 4 seasons.

This is by far the most crucial off season in their history. I think they need a younger coach to build the team with. They need fresh ideas, a different approach. Toigo is very loyal to Don, but there is more to this than loyalty.
Don likes small, speedy teams that work hard, well that hasn't transfered into any playoff success & they've been with this philosphy since 2008-09.

If they bugger this up, it'll set them back years, but if they select the right players they could be looking at another 5 years of top calibre teams. It'll take some time, probably 3 years, but Bonner did build a championship team so I believe he can again.

Don't expect Benson, (if selected) to play next season as I heard they don't want to rush a player of his talent for a fear of destroying him. It's happened with other bantam picks & they know how good he can be & don't wanna rush him. Time will tell on what decisions will be made regarding their top pick after the draft.

Giantsfan
03-16-2013, 12:40 AM
I heard that they are probably going with Rathjen & Lee again next season, but I am not sold on Lee either. Too many times this season, the team has been behind 1, 2, goals in the first 5 minutes. I don't want to pin that all on Lee, as he's young but is he mentally ready? They tried to go with an older goalie in Liston but he couldn't cut it & quit on the team. I think the tandem of Rathjen & Lee should be given a longer look.

What PR issues are you speaking about? I've had nothing but great things to say about them. I'm not speaking of the radio fiasco.

Lucic
03-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Don't expect Benson, (if selected) to play next season as I heard they don't want to rush a player of his talent for a fear of destroying him.

The deadline has already passed for Benson or any other draft eligible player to file for exceptional player status. So even if the Giants (or whatever team ends up drafting him) wanted him to play full time next season it can't happen.

It seems rather dumb that the deadline would pass before he is even drafted by a WHL team but regardless that is the reality.

Giantsfan
03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
The deadline has already passed for Benson or any other draft eligible player to file for exceptional player status. So even if the Giants (or whatever team ends up drafting him) wanted him to play full time next season it can't happen.

It seems rather dumb that the deadline would pass before he is even drafted by a WHL team but regardless that is the reality.

I can't recall where I heard or whether I read, a few weeks ago, that the Giants did file for Benson. I don't know whether they did or not, but from what I was told they didn't wanna rush him.

sbtatter
03-16-2013, 11:19 AM
I can't recall where I heard or whether I read, a few weeks ago, that the Giants did file for Benson. I don't know whether they did or not, but from what I was told they didn't wanna rush him.

Benson didn't file for exceptional status, so can only play 5 games next season, until his team are done....

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I am a bit confused.

Benson can/will be drafted this summer? Its his year to be drafted? But can't play for a year because of his age? as it stands now? Unless given that condition which a few have had in the OHL.

Happy Belated Bday to Tyler :) born March 15.

sbtatter
03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I am a bit confused.

Benson can/will be drafted this summer? Its his year to be drafted? But can't play for a year because of his age? as it stands now? Unless given that condition which a few have had in the OHL.

Happy Belated Bday to Tyler :) born March 15.

Correct, any player being drafted into the dub can't play in the dub until his 16 year old season, unless granted exceptional status, which Bensen didn't apply for. Bensen will be eligible to play 5 games next season, and again after his teams season ends. He will start full time in the fall of 2014. Does anyone know if his family wants him to go WHL or NCAA?

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Whose the potential number 2 pick then? LOL

Thanks

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Correct, any player being drafted into the dub can't play in the dub until his 16 year old season, unless granted exceptional status, which Bensen didn't apply for. Bensen will be eligible to play 5 games next season, and again after his teams season ends. He will start full time in the fall of 2014. Does anyone know if his family wants him to go WHL or NCAA?

I guess that could be another question. Whether he eventually goes NCAA. Then a wasted pick. Who the hech knows. He is still young. They probably wouldnt know yet would they? What grade is he in? 10? 11?

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 01:42 PM

I guess that could be another question. Whether he eventually goes NCAA. Then a wasted pick. Who the hech knows. He is still young. They probably wouldnt know yet would they? What grade is he in? 10? 11?

dondo
03-16-2013, 01:52 PM

He is still worth the pick. I believe the Giants could make a convincing argument to get him to stay in the dub. He would get a year of schooling for every year in the dub anyway.

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Hmmm researching...what bout Matthew Barzal playing in Coq? People mention he doesnt want to play in seattle? Is he top notch?

Could we somehow trade for him?

Gosh i really miss the days of Giants exciting hockey lol...and giants still have one game left. :(

Thanks

Western Elite
03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
There is a rumour out there that has Matt Barzal going to Vancouver for prospect Taylor Vickerman (WSH Born) and the 1st overall pick - if Vancouver wins the draft lottery. Likely to be a draft day deal. This would be key for Vancouver who have hopes of landing the 2016 Memorial Cup to which Barzal would be 18.

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Any comparisons barzal and benson? Barzal one year older obviously.

I dont even know their positions lol

Priceisright
03-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Mmm id rather have a Centre :)

Their pt totals seem somewhat similar.

Lucic
03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Whose the potential number 2 pick then?

The #2 pick will be defenseman Kale Clague.

I guess that could be another question. Whether he eventually goes NCAA. Then a wasted pick.

Obviously the Giants will have to do their homework. His older brother plays in the WHL for the Oil Kings. So I would be inclined to believe he will follow the same route.

There is a rumour out there that has Matt Barzal going to Vancouver for prospect Taylor Vickerman (WSH Born) and the 1st overall pick - if Vancouver wins the draft lottery. Likely to be a draft day deal. This would be key for Vancouver who have hopes of landing the 2016 Memorial Cup to which Barzal would be 18.

I've heard that rumor, although I didn't hear Vickerman being part of that proposed deal. Not sure how I feel about that. I've heard a lot of good things about Barzal but with all the hype surrounding Benson he is really that much (if any) better?

dondo
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM

seriously? that's a ridiculous deal - whoever started that rumour doesn't know how to count - Benson is bigger, stronger and has many more points at the Bantam level. pure idiocy. :spineyes:

Key for Vancouver would be to draft Benson and keep Vickerman

Priceisright
03-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Ill believe you :)

I only brought up because i heard that barzal didnt want to play in seattle or something like that.

I guess the bantam draft is early May?

On a side note shaw usually carries play off hockey.

Lucic
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
seriously? that's a ridiculous deal - whoever started that rumour doesn't know how to count - Benson is bigger, stronger and has many more points at the Bantam level. pure idiocy. :spineyes:

Key for Vancouver would be to draft Benson and keep Vickerman

I agree, although this is the second or third time I've heard this rumor. Which makes me wonder if there is any merit to it?

If Barzal doesn't want to sign with Seattle, their hands a pretty tied, IMO and that makes his value lower. Why the Giants would potentially give up Benson and Vickerman for a player that doesn't want to play for the T-Birds seems rather high in my mind. I understand Seattle can't and won't just give him away but either way that price is too steep.

Priceisright
03-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Then maybe it becomes a bigger deal :) with another body heading north.

Andrej_The_Giant
03-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Whose the potential number 2 pick then? LOL

Thanks

Probably Kale Clague. Sam Steel is also very highly rated but Benson and Clague are 1-2.

Andrej_The_Giant
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I agree, although this is the second or third time I've heard this rumor. Which makes me wonder if there is any merit to it?

If Barzal doesn't want to sign with Seattle, their hands a pretty tied, IMO and that makes his value lower. Why the Giants would potentially give up Benson and Vickerman for a player that doesn't want to play for the T-Birds seems rather high in my mind. I understand Seattle can't and won't just give him away but either way that price is too steep.

Exactly what I was thinking. Giving up the 1st overall pick is stupid from our perspective. If Barzal doesn't want to play for Seattle then anything they can get for him is better than him being a wasted pick that never suits up in a single game for them. Give them Vickerman and Edmonton's 1st but not our's. Having a quality center is way more important if you ask me, so if it's a case of Benson or Barzal my pick would be Benson.

Priceisright
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Question then, why does the whl draft bantam ? midget? players if they cant play next year in the whl? Why not wait a year?

I think im unclear on the draft and eligibility? Age?

Giantsfan
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Giving up the 1st overall pick is stupid from our perspective. If Barzal doesn't want to play for Seattle then anything they can get for him is better than him being a wasted pick that never suits up in a single game for them. Give them Vickerman and Edmonton's 1st but not our's. Having a quality center is way more important if you ask me, so if it's a case of Benson or Barzal my pick would be Benson.

Talking to some memebers of the media Barzal is being compared to Nugent-Hopkins so I'm sure they'll hold out for the best deal available. As far as I'm concerned, Vickerman is easily replaceable at this time, but who knows how effective he will be when he matures. If the Giants want to host the Mem Cup in 2016 this is a deal they may consider.

Priceisright
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow im surprised the lottery isnt more bottom heavy...meaning more chance for the last place team.

We only have one more ball than PG. :(

And my teams never win the lottery. I hope that changes Wednesday.

Now you ask yourself if i cheer for all losing teams lol

Swando
03-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I was a big Hay supporter but I think his time had worn thin and he can not adjust to the Euros or players that have an edge to them. (meaning they don't fall into his style of play) I saw how Hanlon ran the team when Hay was away a the WJRS last year and our Euro was great. When Hay returned it was like the lights went off and he was non existent.
I think you will see Hanlon behind the bench as head coach next year..especially if our 1st rounders balk at signing
I know Ryan Simpson a 2nd rounder from our 2011 draft will not play for Hay.
I've heard that his wife lives in Kamloops and has never embraced moving and living in Vancouver so it makes you wonder that effect has on Hay's decision to stay on if it is his decision. It must be tough to be apart so long.

We get players drafted and stay in the AHL because they are so adept at playing defense due to Hay's system. Therefore we do not get many 20 yr olds that are of the scoring variety.

Maybe we will become more like Tri Cities/Spokane who seem to never loose players lol.. Then again maybe its because scouts don't want to travel that far!!

Lucic
03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
I know Ryan Simpson a 2nd rounder from our 2011 draft will not play for Hay.

Are you sure it's mostly because of Hay? I was told Simpson is very intelligent and likely destined to play college hockey because of that. I hadn't heard the part about him not wanting to play for Hay.

Swando
03-19-2013, 01:52 AM
From a very credible source "He does not get a long with Don Hay style of coaching."

Lucic
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
From a very credible source "He does not get a long with Don Hay style of coaching."

He surely wouldn't be the first player to not want to play here because of Hay. I also heard from a reliable source he was exceptionally smart and scored very high on some ivy league U.S. college tests. So I just assumed that is why he didn't report to Giants camp. Maybe it's a combination of both?

Section_Z
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Wow im surprised the lottery isnt more bottom heavy...meaning more chance for the last place team.

We only have one more ball than PG. :(

And my teams never win the lottery. I hope that changes Wednesday.

Now you ask yourself if i cheer for all losing teams lol

Only one more ball, but 7 more chances, as if the 4th, 5th, or 6th teams' balls gets picked, we still keep 1st.

Lucic
03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
The Giants may not have won the lottery but luckily for them Prince George or Brandon didn't either. I can't wait to see Benson in a Giants uniform! :groovy:

Priceisright
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Yay 1st pick. Well deserved. :p

Andrej_The_Giant
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Best news of the entire season! Now as long as the Giants don't screw this up, I can say with confidence, "Welcome to Vancouver, Tyler!" :clap:

sbtatter
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
If Bdn couldn't get him, at least you guys did, having finished last, it's good to see you get the 1st pick!

Priceisright
03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank u

Derek Sutton
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
With two forst rounders, this could be a home run year for the Giants. Getting a goal scoring winger to go with Benson should set these guys up for a while. I doubt Aucoin will fall to your 20th pick, but MacDonald, a power forward or Jaeger White, a pure goal scorer would fit well with him, Jake Kryski to. As would Kieffer Belllows, yes Brian's kid, out of the US. Anyone one of these kids could also still be around , with you second round pick as well.

Priceisright
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh i didnt know we had two picks in round 1 :clap:

Can someone run down what picks we have? I couldnt find it in previous threads although i know it was posted.

Thanks

Andrej_The_Giant
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
With two forst rounders, this could be a home run year for the Giants. Getting a goal scoring winger to go with Benson should set these guys up for a while. I doubt Aucoin will fall to your 20th pick, but MacDonald, a power forward or Jaeger White, a pure goal scorer would fit well with him, Jake Kryski to. As would Kieffer Belllows, yes Brian's kid, out of the US. Anyone one of these kids could also still be around , with you second round pick as well.

Jaeger White would be a great pick. I'd love to see him still on the board at 20.

scrunt
03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Best news of the entire season! Now as long as the Giants don't screw this up, I can say with confidence, "Welcome to Vancouver, Tyler!" :clap:

Well, that's the hard work done. All the Giants organization has left to do to ensure success over the next few years is...

- improve development of the prospects and younger players
- turn around the embarrassment that is the power play
- rediscover the aggressive and entertaining forecheck from a few years ago and get rid of the passive "run away and cower" forecheck system of the past couple of seasons
- develop a strategy that supports development of goalies instead of the recent ignoring/belittling/throwing-to-the-wolves approach.
- install a proper Craft Beer concession in the Coliseum that actually has fresh locally brewed ales.

Okay, that last one is a bit of a stretch. :D

dondo
03-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Oh i didnt know we had two picks in round 1 :clap:

Can someone run down what picks we have? I couldnt find it in previous threads although i know it was posted.

Thanks

look at NW Bruin's thread called Bantam Draft Picks - he breaks it down very nicely and succinctly

Priceisright
03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
look at NW Bruin's thread called Bantam Draft Picks - he breaks it down very nicely and succinctly

Okie. Ill go look for it .

Andrej_The_Giant
04-22-2013, 10:13 PM
WHL.ca has a new video up about Benson. Pretty exciting to think there's a very good chance he'll be a Vancouver Giant in less than two weeks. Am I the only one though concerned that something crazy is going to happen and we won't end up with Benson?

Priceisright
04-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Unless they trade him. Or if he doesn't want to play in Vancouver. But I don't see any reason we won't have him. Just have to wait a year to see him play. Thats the painful part.

Lucic
04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Am I the only one though concerned that something crazy is going to happen and we won't end up with Benson?

I cannot foresee anything like that happening. I'd be utterly shocked if the Giants didn't pick him first overall. I suppose a trade is always a possibility but I am not expecting that to occur.

Andrej_The_Giant
05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
FYI everybody, WHL.ca is going to stream the bantam draft live tomorrow morning at 7:30am. Definitely getting up early for work tomorrow to see us announce the 1st overall. :clap:

Priceisright
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Aww and i thought it was today. No wonder i didnt see a post. :)

Andrej_The_Giant
05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Done deal, Benson is a Giant!!

Priceisright
05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Anyone have a list of players we picked and round etc?

Thought we had 3 2nd round picks? Looks like we traded one of them?:confused:

Thanks

Looks like 2-2-3 in first three rounds.

Malc
05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
The Giants also selected 20th overall in the first round, a pick that was acquired from Edmonton in the David Musil deal (2012/13).

With the 20th pick, the Giants selected Surrey native Matt Barberis. The 5'10" 178 lbs defenceman played for the Burnaby Winter Club this past season. In 58 games with the BWC, Barberis had 18 goals and 30 assists for 48 points on the season.

ROUND 2 – 23rd & 39th
The Giants selected at 23rd and 39th overall in the second round.

The 23rd pick was their own, and the Giants traded their 41st for Saskatoon's 39th pick and the 44th pick also to Saskatoon for the Blades' second-round pick in the 2014 Bantam Draft.

With the 23rd pick, the Giants selected Ryely McKinstry from Calgary, AB. The defenceman played last season for the Calgary Bisons Bantam AAA of the Alberta Major Bantam Hockey League. McKinstry played 29 games and tallied 9 goals and 27 assists for a total of 36 points.

With the 39th pick, the Giants selected goaltender Ryan Kubic from Winnipeg, MB. The 5'11" 153 lbs goalie played for the Hawks Bantam 1 and finished the season with a 1.31 GAA and a .941 Save Percentage in 24 games.

ROUND 3 - 50th, 57th & 61st
The Giants had three selections in the third round, selecting 50th, 57th and 61st overall. The 50th pick came from the James Henry deal (2011/2012) with the Moose Jaw Warriors, the 57th pick came from the Regina Pats in the Luke Fenske deal (2011/2012), and the 61st pick came from the Nathan Burns deal (2012/2013) with the Saskatoon Blades.

With the 50th pick, the Giants selected Saskatoon native Gage Ramsay. The 5'7" 152 lbs left winger played his 2012/13 season with Notre Dame Bantam and racked up 21 goals and 21 assists (42 points) in 29 games played.

With the 57th pick, the Giants selected Scott Mickoski of Winnipeg, MB. The 6'2" 193 lbs right winger played for the Winnipeg Sharks Bantam AAA Div 1 and tallied 10 goals and 8 assists (18 points) in 27 games.

For the final pick of the 3rd round for the Giants, they picked Idaho native Zach Walker 61st overall. The 5'11", 175 lbs forward played his 2012/13 season with the Colorado Thunderbirds. (stats unavailable)

ROUND 4
No Selections Made

ROUND 5 – 102nd
With the 102nd pick, the Giants selected Tyler Shugrue from Burnaby, BC. Shugrue is a goalie listed at 6'0", 165 lbs and played his 2012/13 season with the Burnaby Winter Club. The Burnaby native played 39 games with the BWC and finished the season with a 28-6 record posting a 1.44 GAA and a Save Percentage of 0.936.

ROUND 6
No Selections Made

ROUND 7
The Giants traded their 133rd pick to the Kamloops Blazers for their 7th round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

ROUND 8
The Giants traded their 166th pick to the Kamloops Blazers for their 8th round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

ROUND 9
The Giants traded their 177th pick to the Saskatoon Blades for their 9th round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

ROUND 10
The Giants traded their 215th pick to the Prince Albert Raiders for their 10th round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/article/giants-2013-bantam-draft-results

dondo
05-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting that Malc ... Only one of those players has some real size, but then at 15 they still have a chance to grow - so a 5' 10 or 5'11" player could potentially spurt a few inches by the time he's 17.

I still think Bonner has to finally address our lack of skilled size. A couple of big shut-down D-men should be top of the list in the off-season.