PDA

View Full Version : Charity scores big at Olie and Stu's Bash

HAF
07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Charity scores big at Olie and Stu's Bash
This story was published Tuesday, July 19th, 2005

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Ed Simmons is a big hockey fan.

When he played for the Washington Redskins (1987-97), the big offensive lineman would go to Washington Capitals games, but he never met Olie Kolzig until they both recently played in a local charity golf tournament.

"I'm a big fan of Olie's," said Simmons, who lives in Pasco. "I really missed the hockey season last year. I ran into Olie when he and Stu (Barnes) did the coin toss at one of the (Tri-Cities) Fever games and he asked if I wanted to play in their tournament."

Simmons' score Monday at the fourth annual Olie and Stu Desert Bash on Monday at Meadow Springs Country Club was not as impressive as his two Super Bowl titles, but then again, golf has never been his sport.

"I play in all the charity events," said Simmons, the offensive line coach for the Fever. "That's the only time I play."

The same can't be said for the LaPierre Homes team of Kyle LaPierre, Dave Adams, Todd Southerland, Rich Nall and Chris Johnson, which walked away with the tournament title at a combined 42-under par and a new set of golf clubs courtesy of Golf Universe.

Johnson, the club pro at West Richland Municipal Golf Course, had the top celebrity score at 10-under 62.

Placing second was the Heritage Nursery team of Randy Mendenhall, John Montero, Marcus Jackson, Eric Sandberg and former NHL goalie Corey Hirsch with a combined 32-under.

Third was the American West Bank team of Bob Harris, Brad Wright, Tim Doyle, John Ingram and Tri-City Americans goalie Carey Price at 31-under.

Southerland also won the long drive contest, while Tim Carter won the putting contest.

The two-day event raised about $140,000 for the Carson Kolzig Foundation for Autism and Kadlec Medical Center to help establish an autism center. Money also will be used to bring an autism conference to the Tri-Cities in August.

"It just gets better every year," said Kolzig, whose 4-year-old son Carson is autistic. "Two years ago, we raised $70,000, and this year we thought we might reach $100,000, but $140,000 is pretty amazing. This community is so supportive."

Kolzig and Barnes were joined on the course by host of hockey players and coaches, including Washington Capitals coach Glen Hanlon.

"I was here two years ago and had a great time," Hanlon said. "There is a personal attachment, knowing Olie and his family. This is a great cause."

Hanlon, who lives in Point Roberts in the off-season, is glad the NHL lockout is over.

"I'm a huge hockey fan and I'm happy to have it back." Hanlon said. "The players made a lot of concessions to make sure we had a season. When it's all said and done, I'm on the players' side -- I need them to make a hockey team."

Former Capitals left wing Steve Konowalchuk, now with the Colorado Avalanche, is like Simmons -- he just plays golf for charity.

"I'm not a golfer, but my plus-minus is pretty good today," said Konowalchuk, who played with Kolzig in Washington for 12 years. "This is an important cause for Olie and it's a lot of fun."

* Annie Fowler can be reached at 582-1574 or via e-mail at afowler@tri-cityherald.com.

Jovorock
07-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Hopefully a great charity event like this leads into more season ticket holders for Kolzig and Barnes.