PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon Blades Playoff Thread

JMoney1988
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, since it's actually official, I might as well create it, hopefully it doesn't get to crazy....., ha ha, I'm funny.
Here is the jist of it: We are currently seeded 1st in our division and second in the conference, looks like our goal is to catch Calgary for official second in points. This could all change in the following weeks though. I think it starts with beating them tonight and getting it down to 1 instead of lose and be down by 4-5 points.

Realistically, we are most likely to finish in second or fourth. We have a good shot at playing anyone from 4-8, depending how they finish and how we finish or unless we finish 4th and then have to play the 5th place team. My guess if everything stays as it is we will play Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Kootenay and even Lethbridge, if they keep it close. I don't expect PA or Red Deer will fall out of 4th and 5th.

Who would you guys like to face in the first round?, can we catch Calgary?, who will we play?

Tell me what you guys think!!!!!!!!!

franchise
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I hope two things happen. That Kootenay finishes 8th and takes a large chunk out of the Oil Kings in round 1, and that the Blades pass Calgary for the true second seed.

Didn't think I'd say this this season but I honestly don't think it matters who the Blades play. No-one will beat them in a 7 game series and I include Calgary, Edmonton, Swift Current, P.A. in that statement.
Portland is Memorial cup bound. Saskatoon v Portland in the league final. You read it here first.

Madmax
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
I hope two things happen. That Kootenay finishes 8th and takes a large chunk out of the Oil Kings in round 1, and that the Blades pass Calgary for the true second seed.

Didn't think I'd say this this season but I honestly don't think it matters who the Blades play. No-one will beat them in a 7 game series and I include Calgary, Edmonton, Swift Current, P.A. in that statement.
Portland is Memorial cup bound. Saskatoon v Portland in the league final. You read it here first.

Well Franchise I am going to agree with the part that it doesn't matter who they play, they will win providing they stay healthy. Losing Makorov would be a disaster right now especially. The Only team I think they may have trouble with would be Edmonton. This is a very solid team also that doesn't have many weaknesses. Right now they aren't playing very well, but have been on an extended road trip and really don't have anything to play for. The Blades and Edmonton match up well with the first 3 lines but Edmonton has a better 4th line. Edmonton also has more depth on defense than the Blades. Blades -Portland would be nice though.

JMoney1988
03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I might as well dust off the cobwebs on this thread, but a rematch of last years playoffs, 4 straight losses last year, looking for redemption, I say blades in 5, what do you guys think?

curwie
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't really like to make predictions jmoney but I do have a good feeling about this years team. For me it all boils down to makarov. If he plays average or better than average, I like our chances.

wango tango
03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
blades vs tigers.

blades regular season record: 44-22-2-4 94 points
tigers regular season record: 36-33-2-1 75 points

blades home record: 22-12-0-2
tigers home record: 23-13-0-0

blades road record: 22-10-2-2
tigers road record: 13-20-2-1

blades goals for: 280
tigers goals for: 243

blades goals against: 221
tigers goals against: 244

blades penalty minutes: 1173
tigers penalty minutes: 946

blades last ten regular season games: 6-1-2-1
tigers last ten regular season games: 5-5

blades power play: 21.4%
tigers power play: 21.2%

blades penalty kill: 84.7%
tigers penalty kill: 80.4%

blades when scoring first: 27-4-1-3
tigers when scoring first: 20-11-1-0

both the blades and tigers have better road power plays than home. the tigers penalty kill is weaker on the road.

the blades scored twice the number of short handed goals than the tigers. the tigers 14 short handed goals against was 19 out of 22 whl teams.

the blades goals for gets progressively better each period. the tigers goals against gets progressively worse each period.

the two teams are more evenly matched than you'd think based on record or points. if the blades can exploit the tigers inexperienced defense, inconsistent goaltending, and poor road record it could be a short series. if the tigers can find more scoring outside of their top line, take advantage of the pressure the blades feel, and ride a strong power play they can pull an upset.

patsdude114
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I for 1 don't see no upset in this series at all nor do I see an upset in any other series. Altho the 4th vs 5th series is pretty even but I still see RD winning that in 6.

Playoff talk just isn't the same when ur team isn't part of the next season lol good luck to the Blades & hope they can put together a solid run.

franchise
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
As I see it the Blades have to play the way they played against Edmonton. Simply put, the D played D and not as roving forwards (read Dietz and Thrower), the forwards have to support the length of the ice (Nicholls, Stransky, McColgan) and they have to shoot first and ask questions later; no fancy stuff, no extra passing, no gambling. Simple, physical, sound hockey will do it for this team. With the depth at forward and D, and solid goaltending they are one of the few teams that doesn't have to play lights out hockey and get exceptional play from any one or two guys. Let the game come to them and simply win the little battles and they'll be fine. One other thing. Protect the pp. They can't afford to keep giving up short-handed goals.
Sounds easy. Good luck to the Blades - every playoff team in the West is cheering for them.

MooseManiac
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys
Looking forward to coming to your Arena for memorial cup..4 of us Moosehead fans (Q league) will be making the trip.
We have everthing arranged, now we need the team to cooperate :rolleyes:.
We will be cheering the blades on if our team isnt playing. If our team dosnt make to Memorial cup we are still coming, have tickets, air fare and accomodations booked.
all the best to Blades and Fans

franchise
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
perhaps we can do a little step dancing and share a rappie pie.

patsdude114
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Tough loss tonight for the Blades, not enough 2nd & 3rd chances. Put a lot of shots on net but when Lanigan can see that many shots he will be making the stop more times then not.

Looking forward to watching the game again tomorrow night :)

Priceisright
03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Curious...where is Josh Nicholls?

Thanks

I noticed he was drafted by the Leafs then let go and signed by the Rangers. He had a whack of points in the dub.

curwie
03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Tough loss tonight for the Blades, not enough 2nd & 3rd chances. Put a lot of shots on net but when Lanigan can see that many shots he will be making the stop more times then not.

Looking forward to watching the game again tomorrow night :)

Bang on. Not enough bodies to the net and not enough 2nd and 3rd efforts. Didn't help that we came out with zero jump.

franchise
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
but your best players really do have to be your best players. Ferland, and Walker were invisible while Nicholls and McColgan played their perimeter game to a tee; stayed outside and shot from impossible distances. Its one game but that was definitely the "Bad" Blades we saw last night. And even at that they hit 4 posts and had 40 plus shots. I see a different team and result tonight.

Priceisright
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh Nicholls is playing. I watched the game. I never heard his name. I will watch for him tonight more carefully.

sbtatter
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Just watched the last 5 minutes where toon were all over MH, how did Dietz not get called on the hook when Shinkaruk was going after the open net? Were the refs missing calls like that all night?

curwie
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Just watched the last 5 minutes where toon were all over MH, how did Dietz not get called on the hook when Shinkaruk was going after the open net? Were the refs missing calls like that all night?

No it was a pretty well reffed game overall. Pretty bad non call there for sure. Looks like Ferlands shoulder is bugging him.

sbtatter
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
No it was a pretty well reffed game overall. Pretty bad non call there for sure. Looks like Ferlands shoulder is bugging him.

Thanks! I hope Ferland isn't hurt, will really diminish his effectiveness, but forwards are your strength so maybe he needs to be rested until he's 90% healthy? Goes without saying you need Makarov's best game tonight

Trav
03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
So when r refs going to b suspended? The ones tonite are so ****ing brutal. Of course one of them is Nathan Wieler who has always been a ****ing cock. He needs sumthing stuck his ass to wake him up

patsdude114
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
10 straight losses in the playoffs for the Blades... not enough traffic going to the net cant blame the refs for this lose they are playing on the outside & are happy playing there

mjw22
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Well Well :) excuses anyone :o Now Edm & Cal know how to win in the 1st round . have a nice day :groovy:

Trav
03-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Well Well :) excuses anyone :o Now Edm & Cal know how to win in the 1st round . have a nice day :groovy:

Nah, no excuses, the team got out played in every aspect of the game. Ryan Keller was in the arena, to bad they couldn't get him on the ice and show the rest of the team how to friggin skate.

Makarov was the only guy that came out to play, him and Dietz.

Having said that though, the officiating was crap as it usually is.

mjw22
03-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Nah, no excuses, the team got out played in every aspect of the game. Ryan Keller was in the arena, to bad they couldn't get him on the ice and show the rest of the team how to friggin skate.

Makarov was the only guy that came out to play, him and Dietz.

Having said that though, the officiating was crap as it usually is.

Rumours and thats all but Molleken fired if he loses in the first round to be replaced by King . King and Brodsky close friends and may have enough time to turn team around before MC . Just a rumour for now.

qrdsk
03-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Man we got schooled tonight again, refs embarrassed themselves both ways all around but at least they did not impact the game. What is it about teams playing a tight box and a good trap that just befuddles the blades. Why are we so loose down the middle in our own end, and quite whining about not hitting the net and skate back hard and next time hit the puck and hit the net with it.

when your frustrated don't take a stupid shot from the side board right near the goal line it is usually a giveaway. I don't care about 42 shots I care about having more than 2 good shots on net though.

Did anyone see why Astles was suspended (I did not see it just curious if it is a legit suspension or just picking out the guys who is bigger than others - kindof like Gogel who used to get tagged with a lot of penalties not because he did them but because of his name)

patsdude114
03-23-2013, 06:42 AM
I really don't see the complaint about the refs, its playoff hockey games to be won 5on5 & that's exactly what is happening. The few PPs that have happened both ways the Blades have not been able to grab any momenteum from at all.

The Blades are just too happy playing on the outside right now, 42shots is a very overrated stat as there are very few 2nd & 3rd chances. Lanigan is smothering the puck well, directing any rebounds to the corner. With the size of the Blades they sure don't have much net presence out there & the scores won't change until they change that aspect.

Blame the refs all you want that is not the problem. I really loved seeing Sutter crying to the ref after a very blantant tripping call that was a no brainer & he trying to say that Shrinkaruk dove lmao time to start crying & time to start playing hockey.

Madmax
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Rumours and thats all but Molleken fired if he loses in the first round to be replaced by King . King and Brodsky close friends and may have enough time to turn team around before MC . Just a rumour for now.

If your talking Dave King you can cool the jets on that one. Dave is not coming back to coach the Blades. He is very happy working with Phoenix and Portland of the AHL doing player development. He did get a chuckle about it though. If Brodsky was going to make a coaching change he should wait till after the MC.

RWAH
03-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Your teaam needs to play in the tough areas not the outside. Heres a positive Lorne M may be the only coach that is experienced in hosting the MG, loosing in the first round and ending only 32 seconds from being in the MC final. ( see Regina Pat 1999 - 2000 season)
Seriously the Blades can come back but they need to own the front of the net in both ends of the rink. And play with urgency

mjw22
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
If your talking Dave King you can cool the jets on that one. Dave is not coming back to coach the Blades. He is very happy working with Phoenix and Portland of the AHL doing player development. He did get a chuckle about it though. If Brodsky was going to make a coaching change he should wait till after the MC.

Rumour is if lorne tanks in round one hes gone . king will come in to help get them ready for MC and coach them in the tournament all assistants would stay . He would not coach after that just to help brodsky save some face at MC.They are close friends and it would be a favour a new coach and gm for 13-14 season.

qrdsk
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Just to clarify not blaming refs just like to see a better job (I think both shinkaruk and deitz went down easily). I particularly dislike wheeler, vetter and zalasky. Anyway doesnt matter until we start skating and having a presence between the faceoff circles in both ends of rink like rw said.

Madmax
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Rumour is if lorne tanks in round one hes gone . king will come in to help get them ready for MC and coach them in the tournament all assistants would stay . He would not coach after that just to help brodsky save some face at MC.They are close friends and it would be a favour a new coach and gm for 13-14 season.

Well if Brodsky were to dump Lorne before the MC it would be a dumb thing to do.

mjw22
03-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Well if Brodsky were to dump Lorne before the MC it would be a dumb thing to do.

Why ? not like Lorne has won anything. If he loses in the 1st round again it makes sense. King is a better coach and would have a month to get ready.

Madmax
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Why ? not like Lorne has won anything. If he loses in the 1st round again it makes sense. King is a better coach and would have a month to get ready.

No Lorne has never won anything, but he is the guy that put this team together to host. You don't change that if they go out. As for Dave King, he isn't coming to Saskatoon to coach the Blades for the MC. I don't care how good a freinds you think him and Brodsky are. There are other issues that come into play for him to do that. A month to get ready, and a month of rust from not playing and only practising, spells no win.

Trav
03-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Back in 2000-2001 when Regina Pats hosted the Memorial Cup, they got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and then had to wait a month or whatever it was and b4 they played again. Guess who was the Coach of the Pats at that time,

Quite funny how the same thing is happening again.

mjw22
03-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Back in 2000-2001 when Regina Pats hosted the Memorial Cup, they got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and then had to wait a month or whatever it was and b4 they played again. Guess who was the Coach of the Pats at that time,

Quite funny how the same thing is happening again.

could be why the King rumour came up. Brodsky may not want a repeat lol

Trav
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
could be why the King rumour came up. Brodsky may not want a repeat lol

I'm not buying the King rumors lol and even if Brodsky did fire Molleken, I'd rather have Knoblauch take over the team. King is probably old enough to be the players great grandfather

mjw22
03-24-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm not buying the King rumors lol and even if Brodsky did fire Molleken, I'd rather have Knoblauch take over the team. King is probably old enough to the the players great grandfather

lol true but if he loses MC no big deal Brodsky can say he did what he had to . If lorne loses it fans would be saying why didnt ya fire him .No coach that wants a full time gig is going to touch this mess until after MC if lorne loses in round one and gets canned.Thats probably why the king rumours are out there.

Trav
03-24-2013, 09:11 AM
lol true but if he loses MC no big deal Brodsky can say he did what he had to . If lorne loses it fans would be saying why didnt ya fire him .No coach that wants a full time gig is going to touch this mess until after MC if lorne loses in round one and gets canned.Thats probably why the king rumours are out there.

Out where? its funny, the only place I'm hearing them is on here from u lol.

mjw22
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Out where? its funny, the only place I'm hearing them is on here from u lol.

from a blade supporter on another site and a few others. look around Im just passing it along. The one source I heard it from had the Por info correct so who knows.

Bighat
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Lorne is stepping down as coach after this season and is going to be gm only. If Lorne would have been gm for the pats we would have won the cup, no starting goalie was our problem. The blades problem is they aren't built for playoff hockey. Calgary, Edmonton, hat, even red deer will grind you out, know how to play defence, the blades d has been the weak spot all year.

trucker
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Blade fans getting a little nervous? I know I am. Swift at least comes home being down 2-0. You guys take 0-2 on the road. Yikes!

Madmax
03-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Lorne is stepping down as coach after this season and is going to be gm only. If Lorne would have been gm for the pats we would have won the cup, no starting goalie was our problem. The blades problem is they aren't built for playoff hockey. Calgary, Edmonton, hat, even red deer will grind you out, know how to play defence, the blades d has been the weak spot all year.

I agree with the weak defense. Just don't have enough from #4 down. Lorne may step away from coaching but not sure how long he would be GM. Brodsky's son is eventually going to take over all aspects including ownership and I don't see room for Lorne. Lorne and Jack are very good friends and I don't see him being fired before the MC if they lose out.

franchise
03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Home record was worse than road record during the regular season. Road pp better, road pk better, allowed fewer goals on the road. Its simply a matter of which team shows up. Win one and move on to the next etc. Simple.....

Madmax
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Home record was worse than road record during the regular season. Road pp better, road pk better, allowed fewer goals on the road. Its simply a matter of which team shows up. Win one and move on to the next etc. Simple.....

Less pressure playing on the road also. Blades just need a couple of breaks and they are right back in it. Not counting them out just yet.

franchise
03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
of "On The Edge". What's a TV Sports show without a little drama? It's the standard third act twist.

Watched the new one last night. It concluded ten or eleven games into the winning streak. The next one should be really interesting. I see its on again tonight - gonna record it this time.

mjw22
03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
of "On The Edge". What's a TV Sports show without a little drama? It's the standard third act twist.

Watched the new one last night. It concluded ten or eleven games into the winning streak. The next one should be really interesting. I see its on again tonight - gonna record it this time.

We'll see how Lornes "put the work boots on " lock n load lets go get some bear " tire pumping works tommorow. :)

Trav
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Astles suspended for two games total.

HockeyFan94
03-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Lorne is stepping down as gm for the pats we would have won the cup, no starting goalie was our problem. The blades problem is they aren't built for playoff hockey. Calgary, Edmonton, hat, even red deer will grind you out, know how to play defence, the blades d has been the weak spot all year.

I sure hope you mean the defensive play of our forwards....but when we only score one goal in two games how do you complain about "our defense"! Our top guys look like they could care less if we won or lost. For such an "experienced" team who should know what playoffs are all about....their effort is the most disappointing of all!!! Our "top players" need to start being our "top players"!!!

HockeyFan94
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I agree with the weak defense. Just don't have enough from #4 down.

Once again...why are you complaining about the defense when we have only scored 1 goal in two games??? And, if your statement about #4 down was true, it wouldn't have any affect on the last two games anyways because we have pretty much been playing with only 4 d for the last half of the games.

mjw22
03-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Astles suspended for two games total.

overkill by RR and his band of fools.

Madmax
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Once again...why are you complaining about the defense when we have only scored 1 goal in two games??? And, if your statement about #4 down was true, it wouldn't have any affect on the last two games anyways because we have pretty much been playing with only 4 d for the last half of the games.

So why are they playing with only 4 dmen for the last half of the games? Guess you answered your own question.

Madmax
03-25-2013, 11:08 PM
I sure hope you mean the defensive play of our forwards....but when we only score one goal in two games how do you complain about "our defense"! Our top guys look like they could care less if we won or lost. For such an "experienced" team who should know what playoffs are all about....their effort is the most disappointing of all!!! Our "top players" need to start being our "top players"!!!

By the way, why do you think everyone is complaining?

franchise
03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
We'll see how Lornes "put the work boots on " lock n load lets go get some bear " tire pumping works tommorow. :)

Throughout the series we see no end of emotion and Rah Rah stuff from Lorne but there seems to be complete lack of analysis and adapting to circumstances (actual Coaching) in the dressing room between periods or even before games; like: "Ok guys, these guys love to overload the left side so lets use the right side breakout we worked on" Or, "They are playing really high on our D in their zone so lets move the puck deep and side to side" etc etc etc. or even. "Hey Darren, you want to play forward I can always bring in another D, until then quit imitating Myles Bell. He IS a forward."

Madmax
03-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Throughout the series we see no end of emotion and Rah Rah stuff from Lorne but there seems to be complete lack of analysis and adapting to circumstances (actual Coaching) in the dressing room between periods or even before games; like: "Ok guys, these guys love to overload the left side so lets use the right side breakout we worked on" Or, "They are playing really high on our D in their zone so lets move the puck deep and side to side" etc etc etc. or even. "Hey Darren, you want to play forward I can always bring in another D, until then quit imitating Myles Bell. He IS a forward."
Lorne has always been a motivator and less of an X and O's type coach. Leaves all thet stuff to the assistants to look after.

mjw22
03-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Lorne has always been a motivator and less of an X and O's type coach. Leaves all thet stuff to the assistants to look after.

could that be why he never wins this time of year. all that rah rah stuff only goes so far most head coaches have a lot of input in the play offs.

Trav
03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow, already 3-0 Tigers and its not even the end of the flippin 1st period. I think Molleken needs to join Preston in the unemployment line.....make it 4-0 now. Cant even score a damn goal.

Stag
03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Good thing Makarov flew his girlfriend in from Russia for the playoffs. He's playing great!! Give a 19 year old kid some money and watch his career go to shxt.

curwie
03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Wow, already 3-0 Tigers and its not even the end of the flippin 1st period. I think Molleken needs to join Preston in the unemployment line.....make it 4-0 now. Cant even score a damn goal.

She's all over boys. They've folded like cheap tents. I wonder if they'll give me my money back for my mem cup tickets?lol

Stag
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Change the lines Lorne!! My god no imagination just like the Blades scorers. This Blades franchise is a losing culture... complete overhall required.

Trav
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Good thing Makarov flew his girlfriend in from Russia for the playoffs. He's playing great!! Give a 19 year old kid some money and watch his career go to shxt.

Well when u play every single game practically, ur bound to have a bad game here and there. Makarov has saved the team's butt many times these last two seasons. Far as i'm concerned, he's one of the main reasons the team has done well the last two years, during the regular season. Maybe if he had some HELP, the series would be different.

Stag
03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Well that's why Moodie is playing....When the chips are on the line Makarov was more worried about getting his girlfriend here rather than focusing on the Memorial Cup.

Stag
03-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Shinkaruk better marry a hot girl, because he is gonna produce some ugly kids. I think i've seen uglier human beings, oh ya....Zach Hodder. ;)

Madmax
03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
could that be why he never wins this time of year. all that rah rah stuff only goes so far most head coaches have a lot of input in the play offs.

Couldn't agree more.

mjw22
03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Couldn't agree more.

The move to bring in King might be getting closer to the truth now. How does brodsky justify keeping Lorne if they dont win 4 now.

Dwight Schrute
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Will Nichols possibly sit out his last whl game due to his slashing major ? I never saw it. Was just curious

mjw22
03-26-2013, 09:44 PM
WOW I thought an upset in 6or 7 games . Schenn Ferland I dont think even Gretzky could have taken lorne to a title .:)

patsdude114
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Another trade that has blown up in the Blades faces with the Wheat Kings. Maybe the Blades should start looking other places to make key acquisitions cuz these Wheat King castoffs sure don't pay off in the long run.

I don't see how a poster aabove can be blaming Makarov for these loses, the team infront of him has scored 4 goals in 3 games. I'm sorry but you won't win hockey games with that production. I never thought for a second the Tigers would have a 3-0 lead in this series, its not over but that fat lady is definately getting close to her high notes. 11 loses in a row in the playoffs for the Blades, this season is Mollenken's last with the Blades as coach & GM he will be fired from both duties after this poor playoff even the season in itself wasn't that great for a Memorial Cup team. Was way to much of an up & down year. Yes they finished very strong but maaybe that was there peek & peeked at the wrong time of the year. Putting all that energy into climbing the standings to be that Memorial Cup contender for the rest of the country to see. But yet us actual WHL fans seen what this team was truely made of, cry baby Sutter & Thrower, stripping the captaincy from an actual leader in the franchise & giving it to a brand new player on the team was a huge mistake.

Looks like the Blades are following the same steps the Pats did back in 01 with a 1st round exit & sitting around only practicing for a month & a half. Good luck Blades cuz ur gonna need it when 3 top teams in the country are playing there best hockey of the year & the 4th team has been skating pylons.

Wheatie Pete
03-26-2013, 10:13 PM
All the flack the Wheaties have taken from Blades and Pats fans about not winning the WHL title the year we hosted. At least we made it to the conference final and lost to the eventual champion. Later to eliminate them to go to the Mem cup final.

Just remember how you and the Pats fell on your faces the next time you cut down the Wheat kings. I truly do like the Blades as a rival and have respect for the organization, unlike the dregs of the Whl society the Pats. I hope your boys can catch fire and make a good run, it starts with one win. Good luck guys.

Fyi, the Schenn trade was a good one, Ferland not so much as he didnt play much before he got to Brandon last years stats were inflated by playing with a great player like Mark Stone. There wasnt much out there and when you are hosting you have to go all in for the win.

Bighat
03-26-2013, 10:16 PM
The blades are done for the playoffs, but I still see them as a tough team to beat in the mem cup. They will be healthy and rested. This team doesn't have the depth or leadership the pats had in 2001, like I said all year the defence never got any better. I know they aren't scoring but that backend is not helping out, can't move the puck.

mjw22
03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
The blades are done for the playoffs, but I still see them as a tough team to beat in the mem cup. They will be healthy and rested. This team doesn't have the depth or leadership the pats had in 2001, like I said all year the defence never got any better. I know they aren't scoring but that backend is not helping out, can't move the puck.

I dont think theyll do any better at MC .those teams will be faster and better than the Tigers. And if Lornes still coaching 0-3

curwie
03-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm not buying the King rumors lol and even if Brodsky did fire Molleken, I'd rather have Knoblauch take over the team. King is probably old enough to be the players great grandfather

Knoblauch would have been my top choice regardless of what happened in Kootney. However he's the head coach of the rebuilding Erie Otters in the ohl.

Jessie Wallins another name I wondered out loud about.

mjw22
03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Knoblauch would have been my top choice regardless of what happened in Kootney. However he's the head coach of the rebuilding Erie Otters in the ohl.

Jessie Wallins another name I wondered out loud about.

I cant see a coach coming in to replace lorne for the MC that wants to coach next year. The risk would be huge lose and its on them but the reward might entice someone . Thats why the King rumour has some merit win and brodsky looks good lose and its no worse than losing with lorne. King isnt going to worry about next year.

Madmax
03-26-2013, 11:43 PM
I cant see a coach coming in to replace lorne for the MC that wants to coach next year. The risk would be huge lose and its on them but the reward might entice someone . Thats why the King rumour has some merit win and brodsky looks good lose and its no worse than losing with lorne. King isnt going to worry about next year.

LOl, The Dave King rumour has zero merit. Also remember that Lorne and Brodsky are very good friends. Lorne came back to the Blades as a favor to Jack in the first place. Jack isn't going to fire Lorne before the MC, but Lorne will step down if they lose to MH and don't win the MC.

patsdude114
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
All the flack the Wheaties have taken from Blades and Pats fans about not winning the WHL title the year we hosted. At least we made it to the conference final and lost to the eventual champion. Later to eliminate them to go to the Mem cup final.

Just remember how you and the Pats fell on your faces the next time you cut down the Wheat kings. I truly do like the Blades as a rival and have respect for the organization, unlike the dregs of the Whl society the Pats. I hope your boys can catch fire and make a good run, it starts with one win. Good luck guys.

The Pats may of fell flat on there faces in the WHL playoffs but we sure in hell didnt get destoryed in the Memorial Cup tournament twice like the WKs did against Windsor what was that final score again in the Final??? 9-0 if i remember correctly or was it 7-0 ?? on national TV the worst defeat ever in the Memorial Cup Final..

All 3 teams will be taking the back door into the tournament doesnt say much for either team to be honest.

curwie
03-27-2013, 12:52 AM
LOl, The Dave King rumour has zero merit. Also remember that Lorne and Brodsky are very good friends. Lorne came back to the Blades as a favor to Jack in the first place. Jack isn't going to fire Lorne before the MC, but Lorne will step down if they lose to MH and don't win the MC.

Lorne should step down right now. It clear that the team doesn't get his message anymore.

patsdude114
03-27-2013, 02:22 AM
is it that they dont get his message anymore or did the Blades already peek & play there best hockey in the last 2 yrs during there big winning streak?

I think they wasted all that energy just to climb the standings & now have nothing left in the tank... in such an important season for the Blades they should of been in cruise control like the Oil Kings were by feb 1st but unfortuantely the Blades were still in the heat of the battle.

I defiantely know how u Blades fans are feeling, i felt the same way back in 2001, in such a promising season to see it not plan out how 1 had invisioned it....anything less then the conference finals feels like a huge disappointment.

I personally think that the CHL as a whole needs to change the way they do the tournament, this host team with an auto birth just isnt the way to do it. Any true hockey fan would take in the tournament reguardless of if there home team is part of the tournament or not. The level of play at the Memorial Cup is better then anything u would see during the course of the regular season. Some of the best tournament games dont even include the host team anyways. I think the CHL is afraid to try it out though as its such a money grab tournament that if it was a failure it would be lost revenue.

Madmax
03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Lorne should step down right now. It clear that the team doesn't get his message anymore.

Don't think right now is a good time to make a change. Blades just have to play 1 shift at a time now. They aren't totally done yet.

qrdsk
03-27-2013, 08:04 AM
My only hope is that nobody plays a good trap in the mem cup lol. We can all hope for some luck from here on out (whether that is a big comeback or some good play in the tournament). I hope nobody from the coaching staff is back next year and certainly nobody can stay on as the gm.

This is both defense and offense playing very poor (it is too hard for us to score and too easy for the Tigers to score). Can it really be that we missed our chances in game one and stopped trying and even started gifting goals to them. Maybe tired playing catch-up during the season, maybe as Lorne said last year they needed players willing to play hard (which he did not make wholesale changes to those core players like he threatened to do in his last interview last season).

I still cant believe they did not start last year to setup this year instead standing pat at trade deadline creating overage situations where he had to give up players. I guess in the end the players don't follow Lorne's advice so they need someone who players will listen to.

Oh well one game at a time.

sbtatter
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm still shocked that he made newcomer Walker the captain, surely Dietz would have been a better internal candidate. Walker was never captain material, especially when moving to a new team, and the sportsnet series shows his inadaquecy for that role.
All the Blades need to focus on now, is just 1 win, if they win tonight, then again back at home, Med Hat will be feeling the pressure big time....

patsdude114
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't think MH will be feeling any pressure at all, they arnt suppose to be in this position if anything coming into this series most would of predicted the tigers to be down 3-0 not up. The tigers can be loose, relaxed & just play hockey reguardless of the outcome from here on out.

Advocator
03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Go ahead and bring in another dman. Last time I checked Dietz was not benched for any reason least of all jumping into the play. Lucky for you he'll be gone soon and you won't have to suffer through his roving and imitations. I don't think Dietz has killed anyone either.

patsdude114
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Dietz is prob ur best all around Dman, he has offensive skills & isn't a defensive liablity. Siemens is pure defense & always will be with a physical edge & toughness as well.

Its easy to play the blame game when things are not going well but the defense or goaltending is not the problem on this team in the playoffs. Yes last game you gave up 5 goals ya chances are you would of lost that game reguardless if the offense was playing well. The 2 home games they lost were a direct fall on the offense, series should be 2-1 Blades had the offense showed up to play in games 1 & 2

west coast
03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Surely Lorne needs to be fired - the team was so inconsistent this year - i am not sure what the low point was this year - will it be losing first round to the Medicine Hat Tigers or the 11-1 home loss to Swift Current early in the season - bring on the change - The Blades have alot of talent - it really has been hard to understand the team .The Blades play their best hockey when they are finishing their checks and being physical .Lukas Sutter can be a dominating power forward that bangs and crashes and has good hands and dynamite at faceoffs - he has under achieved and if he ever gets back on track it will help make the Blades successful again.I also agree that appointing Walker captain was a mistake.This is far from Walkers team .Sutter should be wearing the C

sbtatter
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't think MH will be feeling any pressure at all, they arnt suppose to be in this position if anything coming into this series most would of predicted the tigers to be down 3-0 not up. The tigers can be loose, relaxed & just play hockey reguardless of the outcome from here on out.

I think at 3v0 up, all of a sudden the Tigers are going to feel the pressure to finish the Blades off, and if the Blades win tonight then the pressure rachets up on the Tigers again......

blades
03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
I am assuming we would have heard by now if Nichols was suspended?

auch07
03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Already been announced....no suspension.

Madmax
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I think at 3v0 up, all of a sudden the Tigers are going to feel the pressure to finish the Blades off, and if the Blades win tonight then the pressure rachets up on the Tigers again......

Doesn't look like the Tigers are feeling the pressure yet. 2 periods in game 4 in the books.

BigCat20
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Congrats to med hat. Have a team with heart & desire to win. Very disappointed but still a fan. Every player should be ashamed of their performance this playoffs! I know they are kids but so are the players on the other team. Players I'd point out: Nicholls, Ferland, Stransky, Walker have been total ghosts! Without looking it up, they must have accounted for around 110 goals. Not sure of their chances, but hopefully they have a respectable mem cup. Maybe some of these players will put forth a better effort with it being on national tv.

This team is cursed! There is no other way to explain this. 12 straight loses in playoffs. They've had a chance in what, 1 game.......game 2 vs Kootenay to win. I can see losing 3 playoff series but not even being able to win a game or 2? You can point to Lorne all everyone wants.....but he's not the only reason. A team that scores 280 goals(3rd in league) & can only get 3 goals in 4 games. Totally baffling! They didn't play physical enough. This team is old enough and talented enough to be able to will themselves to win. NOTHING!

qrdsk
03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
how many years in a row do the blades have to underperform before someone can question lornes ability to prepare his team (and select his team) for the playoffs. lets go win mem cup now - should be well rested no injuries lol.

ValmarJohnson
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
This team was loaded with talent, but it was talent that did not perform. Who can and must be held accountable? The coaches! Why Molleken and Struch were not fired in the first 20 games of the year is beyond comprehension! Sure, the team managed a winning streak of epic proportions in the middle of the season, but they could not perform in the second season when it counts. A total and complete embarrassment to the City of Saskatoon and its fans. Way to go Lorne! Did anyone ever notice that Struch designs the plays (which seldom work, just like they didn't when he was the dipsy doodler player that he was) and Lorne never EVER gets in front of the microphone or cameras after a loss? Turf them, Brodsky, and do it now! Show that you have a set and do what you know is right!

Trav
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Pretty embarrassing for the Blades but what else is new. Mollleken is good at stinking in the playoffs. Seems like 1st place in their division at the end of the regular season means they've won something. and they don't need anything else.

blades
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
This team was loaded with talent, but it was talent that did not perform. Who can and must be held accountable? The coaches! Why Molleken and Struch were not fired in the first 20 games of the year is beyond comprehension! Sure, the team managed a winning streak of epic proportions in the middle of the season, but they could not perform in the second season when it counts. A total and complete embarrassment to the City of Saskatoon and its fans. Way to go Lorne! Did anyone ever notice that Struch designs the plays (which seldom work, just like they didn't when he was the dipsy doodler player that he was) and Lorne never EVER gets in front of the microphone or cameras after a loss? Turf them, Brodsky, and do it now! Show that you have a set and do what you know is right!

I am fed up with Lorne inability to change a gameplay during a 7 game series. It was pathetic the last two years against kootenay and med hat. This year was different though. After game 1 Lorne actually changed the game plan and we ended up with Tons of scoring chances. Our problem was that we couldn't burry the puck, and anyone who knows anything about coaching knows that the one thing u cannot coach is how to burry the puck.
It also doesn't help that Ferlands shoulder is still only %70.

Just my 2 cents

mjw22
03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Na na na hey hey good bye .:) told ya it was a streak done with smoke and mirrors. Theyre even laughing about on the Flames broadcast :o

the Royal Flush
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I watched the game from Vancouver Island. I hope the Blades can put together some sort of performance for the Cup.

mjw22
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I watched the game from Vancouver Island. I hope the Blades can put together some sort of performance for the Cup.

Blades fans said this team was rolling after that big winning streak. If they couldnt carry that momentum into the 1st round how bad will they be after skating around pylons for 51 days. 0-3

blades
03-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Na na na hey hey good bye .:) told ya it was a streak done with smoke and mirrors. Theyre even laughing about on the Flames broadcast :o

Seriously? Getting the "nah nah" song from a guy whos team didn't make the playoffs?:confused:

dodywood4ever
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Blades fans said this team was rolling after that big winning streak. If they couldnt carry that momentum into the 1st round how bad will they be after skating around pylons for 51 days. 0-3

Why do you have so much time to troll on Blades forum? Shouldn't you be watching the Warriors playoff series? Oh ya...........

mjw22
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Seriously? Getting the "nah nah" song from a guy whos team didn't make the playoffs?:confused:

oh ya after all the talk about how great a team the blades were when ppl were saying all they were beating were rebuilding teams. oh and we will be kicking your team around for years to come. all the trash talking when the blades beat the warriors and you go out 4 straight to the 7th place team Thanks Tigers:D

mjw22
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
On a serious note what does Brodsky do now. must be wondering what the hell happened .

blades
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
oh ya after all the talk about how great a team the blades were when ppl were saying all they were beating were rebuilding teams. oh and we will be kicking your team around for years to come. all the trash talking when the blades beat the warriors and you go out 4 straight to the 7th place team Thanks Tigers:D

Quick lesson on trash talking.......if you are gonna trash talk a team for not doing good, your team better have done better than theirs.

I don't mind a little trash talk, but make some sense instead of just coming on here everyday and saying the same thing over and over and over

mjw22
03-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Quick lesson on trash talking.......if you are gonna trash talk a team for not doing good, your team better have done better than theirs.

I don't mind a little trash talk, but make some sense instead of just coming on here everyday and saying the same thing over and over and over

hahaha and I was right . oh how many more play off games did your team win than mine . is that 0 and it didnt cost us our future . Wonder why we havent heard from Western Elite hmmm

Madmax
03-27-2013, 11:26 PM
hahaha and I was right . oh how many more play off games did your team win than mine . is that 0 and it didnt cost us our future . Wonder why we havent heard from Western Elite hmmm

Since when have the Warriors ever had a future? LOl. The Blades maybe one of the worst franchises as far as winning goes, but the Warriors are in that same boat. I've heard and seen the rebuilds in Moose Jaw since Barry Trapp days. It just never happens. And don't tell me how they have a great young team, show me. Talk is cheap. You were doing good talking hockey until the nana post. To bad.

patsdude114
03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Since when have the Warriors ever had a future? LOl. The Blades maybe one of the worst franchises as far as winning goes, but the Warriors are in that same boat. I've heard and seen the rebuilds in Moose Jaw since Barry Trapp days. It just never happens. And don't tell me how they have a great young team, show me. Talk is cheap. You were doing good talking hockey until the nana post. To bad.

not sure how the warriors are in the same boat theyve won more playoff games in the last 10 yrs then any eastern conference team (except for maybe MH) definately more then anyone in our own division. The 2 best ran franchises in our division are MJ & BRN & i know whats coming my way already from most of the non hockey minds on this thread "what have the pats won" & ur right we havent won anything besides being ran into the ground for the last 10+ yrs by the owners son. Hopefully things are looking up 1 can only hope.

Watching all 4 games on tv it waas the worst i seen a #2 seed team play in recent memory, the only thing that will maybe save the Blades come Memorial Cup time is feeding off from the crowd that is if the fans dont boo them when they come out onto the ice. The core group was the problem with the Blades & trades should of been made last year at trade deadline to change that group up. The core group was a cocky group lead by Thrower & Sutter, they were 2 guys that should of been moved to change up the vetern presence in the locker room.

But hey look at the bright side, the Blades will have season 3 starting in a month & a half.

Madmax
03-28-2013, 12:21 AM
not sure how the warriors are in the same boat theyve won more playoff games in the last 10 yrs then any eastern conference team (except for maybe MH) definately more then anyone in our own division. The 2 best ran franchises in our division are MJ & BRN & i know whats coming my way already from most of the non hockey minds on this thread "what have the pats won" & ur right we havent won anything besides being ran into the ground for the last 10+ yrs by the owners son. Hopefully things are looking up 1 can only hope.

Watching all 4 games on tv it waas the worst i seen a #2 seed team play in recent memory, the only thing that will maybe save the Blades come Memorial Cup time is feeding off from the crowd that is if the fans dont boo them when they come out onto the ice. The core group was the problem with the Blades & trades should of been made last year at trade deadline to change that group up. The core group was a cocky group lead by Thrower & Sutter, they were 2 guys that should of been moved to change up the vetern presence in the locker room.

But hey look at the bright side, the Blades will have season 3 starting in a month & a half.

Maybe they have won more playoff games, but what have they won? Nothing comes to mind. As far as the Blades go I agree with alot of what you posted. Not sure about Sutter and Thrower. Nichols should have been shown the door. He did nothing in last years playoffs and did even less in this series. A complete lack of leadership and to much hotdogging. Bringing in an outside player and making him your captain when last years captain is still in the dressing room was another bad mistake. And the biggest mistake was the GM/Coach hiring his brother as director of player personal. 51 days of skating pylons is an awful long time.

mjw22
03-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Most of that was directed at 2-3 guys lol I didnt watch the game but saw some shots of lorne on the news. Man talk about looking defeated he looked like he was gonna throw up. How do you get the room back after this. major problems in that room.

patsdude114
03-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Maybe they have won more playoff games, but what have they won? Nothing comes to mind.

Last time I looked they have won an Eastern Conference Champions Banner plus being a finalist as well. This is junior hockey much more goes into it then just leaague championships especially for a small market team. The west is far more superior then the east is in the last 10 yrs, really we r all failures then.

Trevor
03-28-2013, 12:44 PM

I'm bored with nothing to do today so here is playoff wins since 2002-2003, not counting the current playoffs.

East Division
Brandon - 60
Moose Jaw - 42
Saskatoon - 19
Prince Albert - 16
Swift Current -12
Regina - 10

Central Division
Medicine Hat - 77
Calgary - 66
Kootenay - 43
Red Deer - 35
Lethbridge - 19
Edmonton - 16

patsdude114
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm bored with nothing to do today so here is playoff wins since 2002-2003, not counting the current playoffs.

East Division
Brandon - 60
Moose Jaw - 42
Saskatoon - 19
Prince Albert - 16
Swift Current -12
Regina - 10

Central Division
Medicine Hat - 77
Calgary - 66
Kootenay - 43
Red Deer - 35
Lethbridge - 19
Edmonton - 16

Thanks for the detailed info Trevor :) i was wrong slightly i didnt bother actuallly finding the correct info but still 42 wins since 02/03 is nothing to be ashamed of, it is the 2nd most in our division which is evident that MJ & BRN are the 2 best ran franchises which happens to be 2 very small market teams as well where playoff wins are very key to there success & staying in the league with the finacial burden which it takes to run a team in todays game.

Trevor
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Sure shows that the east division has more or less been cannon fodder for the central for the past while too. But I guess when the last east division team to win the league would have been the Wheaties in 96 (I think w/o looking it up) whereas the last 3 league champs came from the central!

RWAH
03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
not wanting to rub salt in the wound . M H got Lanagan from Por for a 7th round 2013 draft pick. He did not win the series for the Hat but his controll of rebounds and smothering pucks helped. The Blades did not get very mant 2nd or 3rd chances

Rebelsfan13
03-28-2013, 03:52 PM
How long until Lorne is fired? Really two teams in ten years to host and go out this early that has to be a record unlikely to ever be broken.

dagley
03-28-2013, 06:03 PM
How long until Lorne is fired? Really two teams in ten years to host and go out this early that has to be a record unlikely to ever be broken.

Its worth coming on here to say this to Blades fans:

LOL!

Madmax
03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Last time I looked they have won an Eastern Conference Champions Banner plus being a finalist as well. This is junior hockey much more goes into it then just leaague championships especially for a small market team. The west is far more superior then the east is in the last 10 yrs, really we r all failures then.

The Blades have never won an Eastern Division banner? Or are we only going back a few select years? Bottom line is neither have won anything as a franchise. Small market has nothing to do with wins/losses/playoffs/non playoffs. The rules are designed to be fair to everyone.

JMoney1988
03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Okay, here is a breakdown of the series, in my mind

Game 1- Marakov shows up, team doesn't
Game 2- Marakov says "okay boys we can do this", he shows up, teams still doesn't
Game 3- Marakov says "I don't care", they both don't show up
Game 4- Marakov says "I'm done", nobody shows up

A breakdown of the series

patsdude114
03-28-2013, 09:02 PM
The Blades have never won an Eastern Division banner? Or are we only going back a few select years? Bottom line is neither have won anything as a franchise. Small market has nothing to do with wins/losses/playoffs/non playoffs. The rules are designed to be fair to everyone.

I think u need to go back & reread my post again. I said a conference banner not a division banner. For god sakes the pats had a division banner not that long ago & we have had little success in recent yrs so that means jack crap

Trevor
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM

I think what PD114 is trying to say is that while neither team has won the big prize, one has more smaller prizes than the other.

Madmax
03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I think what PD114 is trying to say is that while neither team has won the big prize, one has more smaller prizes than the other.

LOL, Ok. Maybe all those smaller prizes add up to something bigger.

Madmax
03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
I think u need to go back & reread my post again. I said a conference banner not a division banner. For god sakes the pats had a division banner not that long ago & we have had little success in recent yrs so that means jack crap

Conference banner, division banner,Any banner you want to call it, but bottom line is no league banners and no memorial cup banners. The only MC either one has been in was as a host. Regina has one of the most storied histories in jr hockey and has won Memorial cups. At one time the 2 best franchises in jr hockey where the Pats and the Montreal jr Canadians. But if we only count the last 10 years even the Pats have no history. It kinda hurts to see what Parker has done to that franchise.

patsdude114
03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I fully get what ur saying that neither team has won any championships but in todays day in age in sports with so many franchises in leagues the odds are stacked against each team to win.

As for ur comment about the Pats yes it is very sad how much the Parker's haave ran this franchise into the ground. Always quick band aid patches, every year thought he had the team for a long playoff run & trading away top prospects & picks for a chance for a round or 2 of playoff revenue. Lang is keeping on track from what he has tried to start here, the 5yr plan may seem abit long but when under Parker we had so many sub par drafts that Lang has to virtually start from scratch like its a brand new franchise.

Next year our 16yr old group finally looks strong but also big for once as well with Reagan 6'2 205+ & Fulton 6'4 almost 220 already who is suppose to be tough as well which is nice.

CatFan
03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm impressed with the Tigers playoff wins total. I need to show that to a few fans in the Arena when they complain about our team!

razer16
03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I just want to say its very frustrating being a blade fan my wife and i are season ticket holders and feel like our team will never suceed with molleken as coach , i cant believe that BRODSKY doesnt have the ball to fire him... yes i know they are buddies and all but the all the people i talk to think lorne is a terrible coach and want him gone for good. I know alot of very smart hockey people, scouts and coaches also ex blade players, they say that lorne doesnt have a clue what to do when teams come at us with the trap..lorne doesnt adjust.. also the comentators on shaw couldnt understand what lorne was doing. i just dont understand how loosing 12 playoff games in a row and humiliating our team also is good enough to keep your job.

Trav
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Molleken should've been gone after the fiasco couple years ago when they got Schenn. They could've used the picks and prospects they gave up to get talent this year but now their screwed.

Madmax
03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I fully get what ur saying that neither team has won any championships but in todays day in age in sports with so many franchises in leagues the odds are stacked against each team to win.

As for ur comment about the Pats yes it is very sad how much the Parker's haave ran this franchise into the ground. Always quick band aid patches, every year thought he had the team for a long playoff run & trading away top prospects & picks for a chance for a round or 2 of playoff revenue. Lang is keeping on track from what he has tried to start here, the 5yr plan may seem abit long but when under Parker we had so many sub par drafts that Lang has to virtually start from scratch like its a brand new franchise.

Next year our 16yr old group finally looks strong but also big for once as well with Reagan 6'2 205+ & Fulton 6'4 almost 220 already who is suppose to be tough as well which is nice.

I don't think the odds are stacked against any team. They all play under the same rules now. The rich teams don't really have any advantages. I will say it is harder to win because there are more teams. Edmonton is a good example. Why as an expansion team have they been able to win so soon? As for the Pats, I really hope Parker keeps his nose out of the hockey end of things. Been sad watching this franchise tumble like it has. 5 years to rebuild is really not that long. Patience and good management is whats needed to make it happen. Sometimes a little luck helps also.

patsdude114
03-30-2013, 06:26 PM
When every team only has about a 4.5% chance at the start of the year without factoring in any teams rosters those odds arnt very good even if it is the same for every team. Once you start factoring in each teams rosters for about 80% of the league those odds get worse. So yes the odds are stacked against you.

As for the Pats which i dont really wanna talk about on the Blades thread I do agree that hopefully things will turn for the better. But i dont wanna comment any further about the Pats here as its not proper since we got our own board.

So i heard the Blades get 2 weeks off to clear their heads & what not, hopefully it does its purpose & the kids can come back ready to put there work boots on. After watching the Ice vs Oil Kings last night on Sportsnet & hearing the panel talking about the Memorial Cup Tournament & how the current system is i have to fully agree with Kypreos (however the frick u spell it) when he doesnt agree with the current system in how it is flawed with the host team still being able to take part in the tournament even after a 1st round exit. A exit in the 3rd round isnt such a bad thing but in the 1st 2 rounds it should forfeit the teams right to take part in the tournament cuz it shows your not part of the elite teams.

I did like the idea of adding in the USHL Champion into the tournament instead of the host team. Have all 4 winners going for the cup instead. Or with the profits Hockey Canada & the CHL make from various international events (Subway Series, WJs, Top Prospects Game) put that money towards the 3 League Champions for travel expenses to go into each others buildings for a 1 game series against each.

Something has to change with the current format though cause teams not making it out of the 1st 2 rounds just doesnt make sense to be able to take part in the year end tournament. Pick a venue in a league & the 2 teams in the final get berths into the Memorial Cup makes the most sense. If its not the host team oh well put a better product on the ice. Its like the host of the Grey Cup/Super Bowl ya it would be great if the Home Team was part of the game but oh well if your not a good enough team that year to make it.

Madmax
03-30-2013, 08:11 PM
When every team only has about a 4.5% chance at the start of the year without factoring in any teams rosters those odds arnt very good even if it is the same for every team. Once you start factoring in each teams rosters for about 80% of the league those odds get worse. So yes the odds are stacked against you.

As for the Pats which i dont really wanna talk about on the Blades thread I do agree that hopefully things will turn for the better. But i dont wanna comment any further about the Pats here as its not proper since we got our own board.

So i heard the Blades get 2 weeks off to clear their heads & what not, hopefully it does its purpose & the kids can come back ready to put there work boots on. After watching the Ice vs Oil Kings last night on Sportsnet & hearing the panel talking about the Memorial Cup Tournament & how the current system is i have to fully agree with Kypreos (however the frick u spell it) when he doesnt agree with the current system in how it is flawed with the host team still being able to take part in the tournament even after a 1st round exit. A exit in the 3rd round isnt such a bad thing but in the 1st 2 rounds it should forfeit the teams right to take part in the tournament cuz it shows your not part of the elite teams.

I did like the idea of adding in the USHL Champion into the tournament instead of the host team. Have all 4 winners going for the cup instead. Or with the profits Hockey Canada & the CHL make from various international events (Subway Series, WJs, Top Prospects Game) put that money towards the 3 League Champions for travel expenses to go into each others buildings for a 1 game series against each.

Something has to change with the current format though cause teams not making it out of the 1st 2 rounds just doesnt make sense to be able to take part in the year end tournament. Pick a venue in a league & the 2 teams in the final get berths into the Memorial Cup makes the most sense. If its not the host team oh well put a better product on the ice. Its like the host of the Grey Cup/Super Bowl ya it would be great if the Home Team was part of the game but oh well if your not a good enough team that year to make it.

The argument seems to be the Blades put up the money, and did all the work to make it a success. Why should someone else get to play in it. I understand what they are saying and its true. I would like to see the USHL come in and having a true MC playoff system like they used to have. Best of 7 series from the beggining. WHL champion vs USHL champions. Quebec vs Ontario with the 2 winners playing for the Memorial cup. Won't happen though because everything Hockey Canada does is a money grab and they can't make money playing it that way. Its really to bad that a team that was beaten in the 1st round can still win the Memorial cup.

patsdude114
03-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Well maybe the other argument to it could be that the individual team itself no longer puts up the money the CHL as a group does it they just use a select city as the venue switch every year like they do already with the 3 leagues.

Madmax
03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Well maybe the other argument to it could be that the individual team itself no longer puts up the money the CHL as a group does it they just use a select city as the venue switch every year like they do already with the 3 leagues.

But thats not happening so its not an argument. It would be a good proposal for the future possibly though.

the Royal Flush
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
The Victoria Royals are out and I am now officially a Blades fan.

Wildeyes
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I dont like the USHL idea. it would be a headache to get around there are two different governing bodies there US hockey and Hockey Canada and CHL apparently the import rule is why different than in the CHL. You are only allowed 4 imports that includes Canadian born players. I am not to sure on the overage limit.

What would be nice is having a host venue but not a host team.(ie) if the MC is hosted in the WHL (saskatoon) they would not have the automatic right to be in the tourney. The two league finalists would be in the MC tourney the champion would take the WHL spot and the runner-up would take the HOST spot. The same would follow suit for the OHL and QMJHL

ensuring that the top 4 teams would be in the tourney.

The Wheatiemaniac
04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Molleken should've been gone after the fiasco couple years ago when they got Schenn. They could've used the picks and prospects they gave up to get talent this year but now their screwed.

I was actually surprised after the Schenn deal of 2011 that Molleken wasn't ousted. Maybe this will be the last ride for Lorne. If you look at what he gave up for Nathan Burns, that alone threw a wrench into future deals. That 1st round pick could have help land them something a lot stronger offensively if they had been a bit more patient.

franchise
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
but the Blades now have to focus on the Mem Cup. As for all the "we need to change the system, this is an embarrassment," blowhards out there they need to take a step back. Yes, the Blades were swept out of the playoffs. Frankly I was not surprised - nor would I have been surprised if they had won the East or for that matter the WHL title. The season was nothing less than amazing frankly. And Lorne did exactly what he had to: he went all in. From a 2-7 start to a 19 game winning streak (whatever it was) to winning the conference (division?) to getting swept, this team (and I use that term loosely) represented itself quite admirably. To all the "what an embarrassment" tools out there, don't forget that they were as good as any team in the league more nights than not. They will be a solid representative in the Cup and when all is said and done no-one can ask for more.

Madmax
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
but the Blades now have to focus on the Mem Cup. As for all the "we need to change the system, this is an embarrassment," blowhards out there they need to take a step back. Yes, the Blades were swept out of the playoffs. Frankly I was not surprised - nor would I have been surprised if they had won the East or for that matter the WHL title. The season was nothing less than amazing frankly. And Lorne did exactly what he had to: he went all in. From a 2-7 start to a 19 game winning streak (whatever it was) to winning the conference (division?) to getting swept, this team (and I use that term loosely) represented itself quite admirably. To all the "what an embarrassment" tools out there, don't forget that they were as good as any team in the league more nights than not. They will be a solid representative in the Cup and when all is said and done no-one can ask for more.
The disappointment again is they weren't as good as any team in the league when it counted the most, the playoffs. For some reason they just can't seem to get to that elite status like Edmonton has the last 2 seasons. Wonder why that is?

BillyBean
04-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm hearing a decent rumour that Chad Mercier will be named the new head of the Saskatoon Blades at the conclusion of the Memorial Cup. This may explain his recent unexpected resignation from the Bonnyville Pontiacs for no apparent reason. Lorne will move upstairs and remain GM and assisstant and associate coaches will remain the same. Anyone else hearing similar?

Trav
04-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm hearing a decent rumour that Chad Mercier will be named the new head of the Saskatoon Blades at the conclusion of the Memorial Cup. This may explain his recent unexpected resignation from the Bonnyville Pontiacs for no apparent reason. Lorne will move upstairs and remain GM and assisstant and associate coaches will remain the same. Anyone else hearing similar?

The speculation has always been that Struch would take over as head coach but I thought the same thing when I read that Mercier stepped down as coach and GM in Bonnyville. I couldn't see him stepping down to take an assistant coaching job again.

Quite frankly I'd rather have Mercier as head coach then Struch.

patsdude114
04-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Mercier could be appealling for a lot of teams, he has been very successfull in the AJHL & the fact that he is an ex-WHL goalie gives a team an option of not keeping on a goalie coach. Has Lethbridge hired a coach yet?

qrdsk
04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Has anyone heard why Gwinner was released?

mjw22
04-19-2013, 10:05 PM
hmmm play off thread bit long considering .......:)

patsdude114
04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Has anyone heard why Gwinner was released?

That's a huge slap in the face to the kid wow, spent the last 1/2 of the season with the team. Put in the time practicing hard & saw some game action only to be released during the teams wait for the memorial cup tourny to start. How many brigdes are the Blades going to burn? Definately doesn't look good on the franchise.

Even if they had zero plans to play him in the tournament still a big slap in the face to him & to the franchise as a whole. Maybe PG is looking like a better option for players after all even if they get no fans at the games........

Trav
04-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Wow if Gwinner is in fact then Molleken is out of his mind. Other then Dietz the Blades really don't got any offensive d-men. Gwinner provided offense from the point.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Gwinner left on his own seeing how Molleken ****ed him over by not playing him much which I never understood why.

BigCat20
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Funny, he wasn't right for Moose Jaw or P.A. & now the Blades. Anyone think his attitude was the problem! Think kinda like Charles Inglis could never stick with a team. Talent isn't the problem but attitude & team chemistry has everything to do with it.

patsdude114
04-20-2013, 07:54 PM
It could very well be his attitude but the kid can play reguardless, his stats dont lie he is a WHL calibre Dman.

If it is his attitude hope he figures it out shortly cuz he can play at this level

bwk45h29
04-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Word I got was he decided against going to school after team was eliminated. As mentioned above attitude a problem.

patsdude114
04-21-2013, 02:58 AM
ya definately sounds like a poor attitude too bad cuz the kid can play in this league without a doubt

Trav
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Found out that he wanted playing time which he wasn't getting, I don't blame him for being upset since he only played in 8 games in the new year and at one point during the season hadn't played in a month (was a healthy scratch) which I think is pretty harsh to do to a player. If your not going to play a guy then send him down. Another one of Molleken's brilliant decisions :rolleyes:

patsdude114
04-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm sure Gwinner will get picked up by someone he is still a quality Dman for a rebuilding type team who needs help on defense. Mollenken is 1 of those old school guys who just doesn't bring guys in & out of the lineup much. No matter if things are working or not.

the Royal Flush
05-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Are you people gonna start a Memorial Cup 2013 thread?