PDA

View Full Version : Key to the turn around

Nook
02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
What do you think the catalyst to the Blades' turnaround is/was?

I think it happend at the trade deadline.

This team changed when they acquired Ferland. Ferland adds a dimension to that top line that not many WHL players can add. His size and talent has given guys like Stransky and Walker room and opportunities to put pucks in the net. And to think I was skeptical of the deadline deals at first.

I'm happy with what Benoit and Valcourt add as well... Big, veteran 3rd liners that can pot the occasional goal and kill penalties.

Lorne added the right pieces.

I don't want to jinx these guys, but this team has more depth than the Blades had in '11 when they picked up Schenn.

Oh, and the "Team Russia" Makarov showed up. Ha.

JMoney1988
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
I totally agree with you, once the players started to gel a little, they started to take off and Marakov has been near perfect through out this winning streak............

franchise
02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
The addition of Nathan Burns was the piece of the puzzle that got them going in the right direction. It gave them two solid lines. The additions at the trade deadline were huge however. Those three guys gave them four solid lines. Kind of a chicken and egg thing, but whatever, I think that adding the three at the deadline has contributed in so many ways. On the PK, the PP, and just the overall attitude with the team. In Red Deer they looked so confident; and played that way. This streak has done more than get them to where they are point-wise, it has transformed their self belief and their group sense that they really can compete with anyone.
No matter how you cut it though, the deals Lorne made have changed the entire identity of this team.

patsdude114
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
I haven't had the pleasure to watch the Blades since trade deadline (which may be a good thing cuz that means playing my crappy Pats) but from an outsider looking in as much as I hate Ferland I believe he has been the main reason for the turn around. I don't know if he was given a letter on his jersey or not but his leadership & winning ways from his time in BRN over the years think is the key piece. I think without Ferland the Blades are still just an underacheiving group who would of been pretenders.

Ferland brings that toughness to the team that no 1 else has, hands down the toughest guy in the league this year. This gives the Blades other star players more room on this ice as there is that threat that a player may have to deal with Ferland later. Let's remember these are kids not men & that's always in the back of there minds. He is a true intimidater even sitting on the bench.

Burns, Valcourt, Beniot have all been great additions as well but in different ways from there style of game. As much aas I hate stoon & was loving it that they were faultering so bad up until trade deadline in reality I am glad they turned it around, not for the fans but for the kids themselves. They are/were under a lot of pressure being such a big year as Memorial Cup Hosts, like it or not that's a lot of pressure for young kids.

Has Makarov played every single game during the winning streak? If he has at 1 point 1 has got to think he is going to need aa rest, don't want him burnt out come playoff time as the goalie can be a deciding factor for any playoff run.

franchise
02-28-2013, 06:26 PM
The team is collectively a lot tougher to play against and his scoring touch is still there. The difference between him and Kambeitz is the biggest difference no doubt. He is wearing an A; deservedly.

JMoney1988
02-28-2013, 07:49 PM
I haven't had the pleasure to watch the Blades since trade deadline (which may be a good thing cuz that means playing my crappy Pats) but from an outsider looking in as much as I hate Ferland I believe he has been the main reason for the turn around. I don't know if he was given a letter on his jersey or not but his leadership & winning ways from his time in BRN over the years think is the key piece. I think without Ferland the Blades are still just an underacheiving group who would of been pretenders.

Ferland brings that toughness to the team that no 1 else has, hands down the toughest guy in the league this year. This gives the Blades other star players more room on this ice as there is that threat that a player may have to deal with Ferland later. Let's remember these are kids not men & that's always in the back of there minds. He is a true intimidater even sitting on the bench.

Burns, Valcourt, Beniot have all been great additions as well but in different ways from there style of game. As much aas I hate stoon & was loving it that they were faultering so bad up until trade deadline in reality I am glad they turned it around, not for the fans but for the kids themselves. They are/were under a lot of pressure being such a big year as Memorial Cup Hosts, like it or not that's a lot of pressure for young kids.

Has Makarov played every single game during the winning streak? If he has at 1 point 1 has got to think he is going to need aa rest, don't want him burnt out come playoff time as the goalie can be a deciding factor for any playoff run.

Yes, Marakov has started every game on this winning, you would think giving Marakov a rest truth is, he thrives on a workload and the way he is playing doesn't tell Lorne to rest him, We thought when we played Brandon and Moose Jaw that one week, he would get a rest but we didn't...

Trav
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I think the biggest reason for the team's success is that the three deadline deals they made (Ferland, Valcourt and Benoit) instantly gave them four solid lines. The depth up front is pretty solid. No big names but most of their forwards could be second liners at least on some other teams.

Would've been nice to have gotten a d-man or two but the defense seems to be hanging in there, especially with Makarov playing as well as he has.

Nook
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I think the biggest reason for the team's success is that the three deadline deals they made (Ferland, Valcourt and Benoit) instantly gave them four solid lines. The depth up front is pretty solid. No big names but most of their forwards could be second liners at least on some other teams.

Would've been nice to have gotten a d-man or two but the defense seems to be hanging in there, especially with Makarov playing as well as he has.

4 solid lines is important. I don't think they had that in '11 so much...

I suppose we'll get an inside look to what the acquisitions did to the team with the sportsnet special.

curwie
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
The team is collectively a lot tougher to play against and his scoring touch is still there. The difference between him and Kambeitz is the biggest difference no doubt. He is wearing an A; deservedly.

Ferland is not wearing an A. He is without question a team leader though.

Trevor
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Has to be Ferland. Not to diminish what Benoit and Valcourt brought to the Blades, but Ferland has outscored and has a better +/-the two of them combined.

qrdsk
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't want to jinx these guys, but this team has more depth than the Blades had in '11 when they picked up Schenn.

You are right on the forward depth, the difference between this team and the one two years ago was the top six were hands down better 2 years ago (not even comparable) and the d was alot better 2 years ago (seimans played as good then as he does now lol). This year we have a better bottom six and a better goalie. I am thinking we are missing a proper shutdown forward line who are capable of scoring also (like viedensky-hamilton-whoever the third guy was).

I think the depth was key to turn around and for some reason our d played better.

qrdsk
03-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes, Marakov has started every game on this winning, you would think giving Marakov a rest truth is, he thrives on a workload and the way he is playing doesn't tell Lorne to rest him, We thought when we played Brandon and Moose Jaw that one week, he would get a rest but we didn't...

I keep wondering why people say he loves the workload (I am not just referring to this quote as other people has said it). He has not proven his ability to play every game all the time without getting tired in fact last year he proved the opposite (in this streak the team bailed him out sometimes, they gave him easy wins and he also played some great hockey and against Calgary almost single handedly won that game for them). The reason you have to play moodie sometimes is the team has to learn to win with whoever is in net and moodie has to learn to play. We apparantly did not trade Graham, Revel and Nogier because we were worried about next year, if that is the case you should be playing Moodie to develop him for next year.