PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Royals 5 EN - March 8, 2013

dondo
03-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Not a bad tilt

Royals Club Giants
Vancouver 3 Victoria 5 EN

I listened to bits of this one, but the boys put in some effort and then fell into their lull trap allowing poor goals off of sloppy play. Story of this season. A few players elevated their play in this one and it was surprising who. Alec Baer had some great chances and always seemed to be in the right place and was unlucky to only pot one goal. The usual suspects for the Royals continued to feast on the Giants as they have done all season. The Gs get a do-over on Saturday night at the Coliseum. The Giants came out well and forced the play in the first period, until they coughed up a SH’d marker. They managed to get that goal back on the same PP, but the one thing I am looking forward to next season is the boys being better at is to stop the freaking short-handed goals against, stop the stupid pissy sloppy puck handling when you have the advantage. Probably the most frustrating aspect of this season for me.

The Royals opened the scoring on the aforementioned SH’d marker coming about 7 minutes into the game. The G’s got that back under a minute later, when Cain Franson tickled the twine scoring his 28th on the PP, assisted by Tyler Morrison. Victoria found the board again early in the second and then added an insurance marker later. The Giants clawed back one of those when Morrison found the back of the net, assisted by Franson. Alec Baer scored his first WHL goal before the end of the middle frame, tying the game up at threes going into the second intermission. Franson and Riley Kieser got the helpers on the goal. The Royals found twine again early in the third and held on for the rest of the period, shutting down the Giants and slowing down the game in the process. They added an empty netter to salt away the win. Coleman Vollrath was forced to make some very good and a few rare brilliant saves to hold his Royals in the game though.

Team Notes: Dalton Sward was out of the line-up tonight and I must not have been paying attention as he was in the line-up versus the Tips.

Fight Night: Blake Orban v. Mitch Deacon - Orban being tagged for boarding taken to task - held his own and hung in there. Orban v. Steve Hodges - third period tilt between the defenseman and the sniper.

Zebra Cage: Sean Raphael and Jason Cramer. Inconsistent and missing a lot. Were mostly crap tonight.

The Giants out shot the Royals 31-29 after badly out shooting them in the first period the Royals peppered Jared Rathjen in the second and third. Giants went 1 for 4 on the PP, but gave up a short-handed goal. The Royals were 0 for 4. Mason Geertsen had a rough night and seemed to have a big problem with the refs tonight as he always seemed to be yapping, which is not something I notice him doing a lot. They did miss a chicken-wing holding the stick which was called hooking on Geertsen though. Alec Baer seemed to be all over the ice and in the right position most of the night. Vollrath robbed him a couple of times. Cain Franson really was all over the ice and in on every Giants marker. Riley Kieser had some contributions. Brendan Rouse created some chances, but was also guilty of some poor play. I heard a lot of Scott Cooke tonight as well.

Up Next: Royals round 2 - playing their final game of the season series in which the Giants for the first time in the franchise history versus the Bruins or the Royals have a losing record. The Giants had some good effort and some really gritty play tonight, but could not keep the puck out their net and made too many unforced errors. They have a chance to play a bit better game on Saturday.

Three Stars

1. Steven Hodges
2. Cain Franson
3. Ben Walker

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Alec Baer - first WHL goal and many more chances created. I heard his name more than any other player tonight. Should be a good addition next season and hopefully he works his butt off in the off-season and is ready to be a go-to player come camp time.

Section_Z
03-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Kudos to Baer for his first Dub goal. Hope someone grabbed the puck for him.
I only listened to the first period, but heard little of Kohlhauser. Guessing in a tight, losing game they did not play him much. Assuming he was never on a Special Team, he came out on top, really, with Zeros across the board in a losing game.

Giantsfan
03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Atwal was a healthy scratch as was that prototypical power forward Sward. Look for both of them to be in tonight.:confused:

Lucic
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I wasn't too thrilled with Atwal being a healthy scratch. Didn't think that was an overly smart move. I realize they wanted Kohlhauser to get in, but Atwal isn't a guy I would be taking out....

Giantsfan
03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I definitely liked seeing Orban getting back to the physical play. He's more of an asset when he plays that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tilt or two in tonight's game as well.

dondo
03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Are we sure they were healthy scratches? No flu going around or nagging injuries we don't know about? It seems odd scratching two who were getting better, but then some odd choices have been made the past few years that I haven't fully understood.

Lucic
03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Are we sure they were healthy scratches? No flu going around or nagging injuries we don't know about? It seems odd scratching two who were getting better, but then some odd choices have been made the past few years that I haven't fully understood.

Found out Atwal was scratched due to academic issues. That makes more sense. Sward on the other hand as a lower body injury. Sounds like he'll be back soon, maybe even this afternoon.