PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon Blades 2013/2014 Season

JMoney1988
03-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Okay I'm jumping the gun a little and I was little bored, but I thought I would do a 2013/2014 preview since I won't be a season ticket holder next year due to schooling, so I'm giving my thoughts on who and what the team will look like next year.
As we all know whether or not we win it all or not, next year will be rebuilding mode for us after 5 seasons of 40+ wins, I think I would put us at 20-30 wins, depending how everyone finishes, I'm thinking between 9th-15th or if we win more, a playoff spot (6th-8th). I'm also making a prediction of who will win each division and how they will finish. I'm not looking at next year teams, just my opinion of how we they will finish.

Forwards- As we all know, with the departure of Ferland, Nicholls and Walker at the end of the season, we have 7 forwards who are going to be 20 next year with the possibility of Stransky, Sutter and Mccolgan going pro, so that would leave us with 4 forwards who are twenty (Burns, Benoit, Valcourt and Astles).

Returning forwards
Revel, Zajac, Harland, Stovin, Graham

Defense- Since none of our defense are twenty this no one will depart this year, 6 d-man will be twenty next year, with the possibility of Siemens, Thrower and Dietz going pro, that would leave us 3 d-man (Pufahl, Craig, Schmidt)

Returning Defense
Nogier and Gwinner

Goaltending
No one departs this year, Marakov will be the only 20 year old next year, mostly likely to go pro, if he returns, he is a lock at a 20 spot I would think.

Returning Goalies
Moodie

We will see a lot of new faces next year via camp and trades, as well as the import draft (hopefully find a stud like Stransky), I would imagine Lorne will trade the 20 year olds he can't use or waiver them kinda like Conner Cox situation.

The 20 year olds I see next year would be:
Marakov (if he returns), Burns and one of the d-man
If Marakov doesn't return, Burns, Pufahl and Valcourt

Now on to predictions and division standings

JMoney1988
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
East Division
This division is pretty wide open next year, but his is how I will see them finish
1. Moose Jaw (been rebuilding this past year, have a lot of talented young players, (Point, etc) should have a good team next year.)

2. Swift Current (have a pretty good group of returning players (Cave, Gordon, Heatherington), they could also challenge for the division, also key finding someone to replace Etu if he doesn't come back.

3. Regina Pats (Also have a good group coming back including Klimchuk, Burroughs and Stephenson) could see them making the playoffs, have to find a goalie to split time with Sacher though.

4. Brandon Wheat Kings- solid group coming back includes Hawryluk, Quenneville, Pulock, I could also see them challenge for the division title as well, if they could find goaltending to help with Honey.

5. Prince Albert- I see this team coming back with a good group next year, I don't see them making the playoffs, I would peg them higher, but I beileve next year, goaltending will be an issue once again in P.A. unless they find a stud like Siemens.

6. Saskatoon Blades- I have predicted us last, just due to the fact of a rebuilding year and I don't see us making the playoffs with the group we have, but anything can happen.

JMoney1988
03-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Central Division
It was a tough division this year to rank.

1. Edmonton Oil Kings- As defending eastern conference champs, I well see them doing the same thing next year, Samuelsson, Reinhart and Jarry all returning, they should have a good year again.

2. Red Deer Rebels- They have a solid core of players returning next year as well, if Bartosak comes back next year and fills a 20 year old spot, they should be a formindable force next year. If he doesn't return, they could easily drop to 4th or 5th in the division.

3. Calgary Hitman- Only reason I put them third is because core group of players isn't as strong as Red Deer, but a bright spot is that goaltending duo of Shields and Drieger should be solid pair for Calgary.

4. Kootenay- Next year they will have pretty all there forwards and pretty much defense back next year, with Skapski in net, if Hoflin can improve his game, they might be a force next year.

5. Medicine Hat Tigers- As it stands right now, next year, they will lose a considerable amount of offense next year with a lone bright spot being Hunter Shinkaruk, with Lanigan departing, Langhammer will take over the number 1 job, we will see though.

6. Lethbridge Hurricanes- They surprised us at the start of this season, next season, they might do the same, with a great group of returning forwards, the only iffy next year is goaltending, spending all that time playing Rimmer hasn't given Tai a chance to improve.

JMoney1988
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
B.C. Division
Here's how I will them finishing.

1. Victoria Royals- They will have 17 returning players from last year including goaltending stud Patrik Polivka who will mostly likely shoulder the load, with lots of talent returning, this team could be a force, Polivka will mostly likely play a factor on where they will finish.

2. Kelowna Rockets- with a solid group of players returning, they should be able to contend for the title again next year, goaltending could be iffy if Cooke doesn't come back, but Whistle looks to hold his own on most of his games.

3. Kamloops Blazers- I see them finishing in third just because of the group of players returning as well as goaltending if Cole doesn't return, KOzun can shoulder the load but will he.

4. Prince George- Not a lot of talent returning, pretty much the same lineup as last year, only bright spot I see is Brett Zaworny in goal, this could change where they end up as well.

5. Vancouver Giants- I see them as still in rebuilding mode, with most of the team returning this year and if they get solid goaltending, they could move up, as of right now, I don't see it happening.

mjw22
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=JMoney1988;189835]East Division
This division is pretty wide open next year, but his is how I will see them finish
1. Moose Jaw (been rebuilding for a couple of years, have a lot of talented young players, (Point, etc) should have a good team next year.)

Apparently going to the conf finals last year was rebuilding 45 wins and the year before 40 wins. Other than that a good post. :)

Rye
03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
No way Makarov returns next year. He was offered a pro contract in Russia, he won't pass on that to play out his last season of junior, especially when this will be the Blades peak year. Might as well just cross him off of your list right now.

franchise
03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
that neither McColgan or Sutter gets a sniff at the pro level. Other than Siemens (who has quietly settled into his defensive role) I can't see either Dietz or Thrower seeing any professional ice either. A glut of twenty year old players for the Blades is a near certainty. That said, I sincerely hope they move McColgan and Sutter but they will have some tough decisions to make on the back end. I am not a fan of Dietz' game. He plays rover; or worse yet a fourth forward. I am also wary of his dressing room presence and attitude. Thrower is still developing and seemed to have taken this year off on that path; maybe even went backward, but I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his injury issue early in the season.
I suspect there will be many trades in the early part of the season heading up to and including the twenty year old deadline.

Advocator
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
that neither McColgan or Sutter gets a sniff at the pro level. Other than Siemens (who has quietly settled into his defensive role) I can't see either Dietz or Thrower seeing any professional ice either. A glut of twenty year old players for the Blades is a near certainty. That said, I sincerely hope they move McColgan and Sutter but they will have some tough decisions to make on the back end. I am not a fan of Dietz' game. He plays rover; or worse yet a fourth forward. I am also wary of his dressing room presence and attitude. Thrower is still developing and seemed to have taken this year off on that path; maybe even went backward, but I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his injury issue early in the season.
I suspect there will be many trades in the early part of the season heading up to and including the twenty year old deadline.

You are wary of Dietz in the dressing room even though he has been selected to wear an A for 2 years but you give Thrower the benefit of the doubt for taking the year off and even regressing. Interesting.

Madmax
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM

Sutter,Dietz, Thrower and Siemens will not be back playing Jr as 20 year olds. McColgan would be a small maybe. Makorov will also be gone from the Jr ranks either in Buffalo's system or in the KHL in Russia.

JMoney1988
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I will be putting up how the I see the U.S division will finish shortly

JMoney1988
03-11-2013, 08:58 PM
U.S. Division

1. Portland Winterhawks- They will have pretty much all of there players and defenceman back next year, if Brendan Burke can carry the load of the goaltending, they would my favorite to win it all next year.

2. Tri-City Americans- They are in the same boat as Portland, most of their players back next year, if Comrie is fully healthy, they will most likely to challenge for the division title against Portland, if he isn't they could slide down to 4th or 5th.

3. Everett Silvertips- They will have a good amount of players back next year, if the whole team can improve as well as the goaltending, they will challenge for a playoff spot.

4. Spokane Chiefs- They have a good group coming back, goaltending is iffy, but it could change and they could move up in the standings, we will see.

5. Seattle Thunderbirds- The group isn't as strong as the first 4, goaltending might be a problem, I don't see them making playoffs next year, but with a small conference, anything is possible.

That's all my predicitions for next year, please comment

Madmax
03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
U.S. Division

1. Portland Winterhawks- They will have pretty much all of there players and defenceman back next year, if Brendan Burke can carry the load of the goaltending, they would my favorite to win it all next year.

2. Tri-City Americans- They are in the same boat as Portland, most of their players back next year, if Comrie is fully healthy, they will most likely to challenge for the division title against Portland, if he isn't they could slide down to 4th or 5th.

3. Everett Silvertips- They will have a good amount of players back next year, if the whole team can improve as well as the goaltending, they will challenge for a playoff spot.

4. Spokane Chiefs- They have a good group coming back, goaltending is iffy, but it could change and they could move up in the standings, we will see.

5. Seattle Thunderbirds- The group isn't as strong as the first 4, goaltending might be a problem, I don't see them making playoffs next year, but with a small conference, anything is possible.

That's all my predicitions for next year, please comment

Good job. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out next season

LoyalBladeFan
03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Good work JMoney

Here is my line predictions for next season just for fun i got a little board :)
Forwards
Burns Revel Zajac
Stovin Harland Graham
Euro Gomerich Polei
Pruden Hebig Adamson
Kuczek

Defense
Pufahl Nogier
Craig Gwinner
Kirchenko Hnidy
Dwyer

Goalies
Euro
Kegler

JMoney1988
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Good work JMoney

Here is my line predictions for next season just for fun i got a little board :)
Forwards
Burns Revel Zajac
Stovin Harland Graham
Euro Gomerich Polei
Pruden Hebig Adamson
Kuczek

Defense
Pufahl Nogier
Craig Gwinner
Kirchenko Hnidy
Dwyer

Goalies
Euro
Kegler

Thanks, I see you picked Burns, Pufahl and Craig as 20 interesting, I could also a euro and Moodie in goal, also I would put Stovin on the top line

LoyalBladeFan
03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I see you picked Burns, Pufahl and Craig as 20 interesting, I could also a euro and Moodie in goal, also I would put Stovin on the top line

Yes i see your point Stovin on the top line, seeing he is use to Zajac. and as for Moodie i think he will battle with Kegler for a spot that is if they draft a euro goalie and we all know Lorne likes too.

sbtatter
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Is your Kuzcek more stable than his brother who was in Bdn last year?

LoyalBladeFan
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Is your Kuzcek more stable than his brother who was in Bdn last year?

I believe this guys name is Dexter Kuczek makings to be a gritty power forward 15 years old already 6,1 190 lbs

sbtatter
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
I believe this guys name is Dexter Kuczek makings to be a gritty power forward 15 years old already 6,1 190 lbs

His older brother Dylan's a big guy too, now playing in Portage

Trav
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Goaltenders

Euro - Been thinking bout this for quite awhile now, wouldn't surprise me to see another import goaltender here.

Rookie backup (Kegler or Alalouf maybe)

I think Moodie needs a fresh start somewhere else and if they take an import goaltender then they can hopefully move Moodie for a d-man or center.

Forwards

Blades might be thin at center if McColgan or Sutter aren't back. Minus the possible 20's, Revel would be the top line center at this point. Could see an import center being picked. With the numerous 20's, maybe get a decent 18-19 yr old center for one of them.

Centers: Revel, Import, Veteran center, Harland, Gomerich, Hebig???

Blades should be okay at the wing position with Benoit, Burns, Zajac, Valcourt, Stovin, Graham and Astles all eligible to come back.

Add the following rookies, Adamson (if he signs), Holmes (if he signs), Polei, Pruden, and Miller (if he signs) all had good midget seasons this year. Miller sure had a growth spurt as he's now 6'1-6'2, sure wasn't that big last year at camp, a camp that I thought he looked pretty good in. Not sure bout Hickmott, thought he'd be a better offensive player in midget. I'd let Kuzcek who some of u have been talking bout in my opinion play a year of midget AAA first. No need to rush him either since he'll be 16.

Winger I'll probably be watching closely at camp would be...Adamson who rite now is playing on the Greater Vancouver Canadians and lead the team in scoring, even had more goals then Musil and Gawdin, two first round picks in last year's bantam draft.

Defense

Id like to see the Blades revamp their defense which to me has been their weak spot this year and with a bunch of 19 yr olds, that's pretty scary. Only Nogier and Gwinner are the non 20's returning next year.

If Dietz or Thrower are returned, I'd be tempted to keep one of them as a 20 yr old but those are the only 2 id consider for a 20 yr old spot on the team.

Rookies that could claim a spot....Pichonsky (probably last shot for the 18 yr old), Kirichenko, Hnidy and Ottenbreit.

An import d-man could also be a possibility here though the Blades haven't had much luck with import d-men.

Joe Hallenback
03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
I am hearing that both Craig and Valcourt will find there way to Brandon at the start of the season. Brandon has alot of young offensive talent but needs some size and toughness and these two will bring it.

I am hearing some mid round picks,16/17 old prospect will be what is returned.

curwie
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I am hearing that both Craig and Valcourt will find there way to Brandon at the start of the season. Brandon has alot of young offensive talent but needs some size and toughness and these two will bring it.

I am hearing some mid round picks,16/17 old prospect will be what is returned.

You might as well take Burns off our hands to.:)

sbtatter
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
You might as well take Burns off our hands to.:)

Deal!!
Realistically, which of our prospects will interest the Blades?

curwie
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Deal!!
Realistically, which of our prospects will interest the Blades?

All of them would interest us Im sure. The better question is, who would Kelly deal next year? You aren't gonna part with Hawerlyck are you?:)

Maybe guys like Gabrielle and Maguire?

Trav
03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
The Wheat King prospects that would interest me would be Gabrielle, Lindgren, Coulter and Cooper up front. On the back end, not sure who would interest me there.

sbtatter
03-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Guys like Gabrielle and Hawryluk are obviously "no touch" options.
I think Lindgren, Lisoway, Schmyr are likely the next guys KM will want to keep?
McGuire, Palmer, Van Horne, Coulter, Kitt, Sanheim, Cooper are the sort of guys I think would be available, but who knows