PDA

View Full Version : Crosby a Penquin

Scout
07-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Pittsburg won the lottery and got the most anticipated player since Mario. Also the Board of Governors accpet the agreement by a vote of 30-0.

Scout

Beaner
07-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, as much as I was hoping for Sid tocome to Vancouver, Pittsburgh is a great place for him to land.

The Penguins have been sturggling for years, and this should really help them get that franchise on their feet and be competitive.

The_Vulk
07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
It is presumed the Penguins will keep their pick, and use it to get Sidney Crosby.

Sidney could learn alot from Mario.

And of course, we have NHL hockey once more!

langdak
07-22-2005, 05:19 PM
from what i gathered from the interview on tsn with Sid, he was overjoyed to be going to pittsburgh

he said him and mario had chatted in the past about the possibility of him going to play there

i am actually quite glad for the kid that he didnt end up in a place like NY where every fan possible would put all their pressure on the shoulders of an 18yr old kid

this should helps pittsburgh immensly not only with their team but from a marketing perspective as well

Jimmypop316
07-22-2005, 05:35 PM
from what i gathered from the interview on tsn with Sid, he was overjoyed to be going to pittsburgh

he said him and mario had chatted in the past about the possibility of him going to play there

i am actually quite glad for the kid that he didnt end up in a place like NY where every fan possible would put all their pressure on the shoulders of an 18yr old kid

this should helps pittsburgh immensly not only with their team but from a marketing perspective as well

Yea.. this will definately help sell more tickets and help them get out of that old old relic they have. They are also getting new owners too which will help greatly.

They are going to have quite the product this year in Pittsburgh, so far they will have (presumably) three #1/#2 overall picks on their team next year. Going to be interesting to see how much longer until they are impact players of course, but I'm sure they are all on their way to be. And they havent even begun to fill up their cap space yet (around 30 million).

Good to finally be able to look forwards to the WHL as well as the NHL!!

Flathead
07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Glad to see that he's going to a team that's struggling financially. Having Sidney there should really help to draw some much needed fan support in Pitsburgh.

Scout
07-22-2005, 08:59 PM
PENGUINS WIN NHL LOTTERY; WILL DRAFT SIDNEY CROSBY WITH FIRST PICK OVERALL
07/22/2005

There won’t be any suspense when Penguins general manager Craig Patrick steps to the microphone for the first pick of the NHL Entry Draft on Saturday, July 30 in Ottawa. The Penguins won the NHL Draft Lottery Friday in New York, and Patrick and team president Ken Sawyer made it clear that they plan to take mega prospect Sidney Crosby – a kid who could shape the face of the franchise for years to come.

Sawyer, in fact, recalled the day 21 years ago, when the Penguins used the first pick of the 1984 draft to take another elite prospect from the Quebec Major Hockey League – a kid named Mario Lemieux.

“This means everything to our franchise,” Saywer said, just moments after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman revealed that the Penguins had won the league’s unique 30-team lottery. “Go back 21 years and see what that did for the Penguins. It’s déjà vu. It’s unbelievable.”

The 5-11, 193-pound Crosby, a two-time Canadian Hockey League Player of the Year, is considered far and away the best prospect in the draft – and a potential franchise player. In 2004-05, the brilliant young centerman was the runaway scoring leader in the QMJHL, ringing up 66 goals and 102 assists for 168 points in just 62 games for the Rimouski Oceanic. He led the Oceanic to the Quebec league title and a berth in the Memorial Cup.

“He’s an unbelievable player,” said no less an authority than Lemieux, who has skated with Crosby and marvels at his overall ability. “He’s a great passer. He has great skills. And he’s been dealing with pressure his entire career.”

It already had been a special day for the Penguins and the entire hockey world, as the NHL’s Board of Governors ratified a new Collective Bargaining Agreement – one that will give teams such as the Penguins a chance to compete on a yearly basis – and announced a series of rules changes designed to open up the game for skilled offensive players.

But the dramatic “victory” in the lottery – where the Penguins and the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim were the two finalists – made it a day to remember, to savor, to celebrate.

“As Bob Johnson said, it’s a great day for hockey,” Sawyer said. “It’s a spectacular day for hockey on two fronts. The CBA, and Sidney Crosby. The only thing that could top this is a new arena.”

It marks the second time in three years that the Penguins will have the first pick in the draft. In 2003, they used the top selection to take Marc-Andre Fleury. Last year, picking second overall, they grabbed Russian centerman Evgeni Malkin.

“We’re going to have the chance to have a great team” Sawyer said.

Number_4
07-23-2005, 12:06 PM
From what I have heard people say, its a sure deal that Crosby's going to the Penguins. To be honest tho, I cant think of a better place for him to learn. Mario can teach the kid a lot, and Crosby can sure benifit from Mario's passing ability. And on the flip side, the Penguins can use Crosby as a lure for some new talent. I mean, who wouldnt want to play with him?

Im just glad we have hockey back... did anyone else watch the National last night? The anchor guy was interviewing Bettman, and he was saying that in this new system, it was possible for smaller teams to succeed, and how some people were talking expansion again... the anchor guy asked about Winnipeg (I mean, why not...), Bettman just kinda laughed but agreed theoretically, yes, Winnipeg would be a good spot (new arena, etc).

Flathead
07-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Im just glad we have hockey back... did anyone else watch the National last night? The anchor guy was interviewing Bettman, and he was saying that in this new system, it was possible for smaller teams to succeed, and how some people were talking expansion again... the anchor guy asked about Winnipeg (I mean, why not...), Bettman just kinda laughed but agreed theoretically, yes, Winnipeg would be a good spot (new arena, etc).

Expansion is the last thing the NHL needs. Although it would be nice to see Winnipeg get a team again, I think the league is watered down enough. Mabye move some teams around. Teams that have a weak attendance, like Carolina, or Nashville could possibly get moved to somewhere like Winnipeg. But I don't think expansion is needed.

WHEATMAN
07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
i was hopping we could keep him in canada, but atleast it will be better for him to go to pittsburgh then anaheim or carolina

WHEATMAN
07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
would be a perfect team to go to the peg, the peg has a new arena and is the best hockey city in the world, the peg needs a NHL team

then maybe brandon will get the moose lol