PDA

View Full Version : Regina Pats 2013-14

patsdude114
03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Looking at our roster & our prospects coming up I think the Pats will have a much stronger season. Our 16yr old group will be a heck of alot stronger next season then it was this past year.

20yr olds
Ouellette
Stevenson
Fenske
Sylvegard

I think Ouellette & Stevenson will be locks for 20yr olds, im still not sold on Fenske being a 20yr old with us. He didnt bring no toughness this year for a rebuilding team he needs to bring that & he just didnt show the willingness to do that this year 0 fights is a big eye sore for him. Yes he was physical which was needed but with every Dman being a year older next year i dont think he is needed as much, besides he turns the puck over at a very alarming rate. Sylvegard just falls into a bad age group as a euro, its highly unlikely he comes back but it is abit tempting to see if he could be used as a Dman all year with that versiltily of both forward & defense.

19yr olds
Stephenson
McCoy
Rodewald
D'Amico
Samoridny
Christoffer
Hak
Henry
Whelan

I put Whelan into this group as he did look not bad during his call up before the SJHL playoffs started. He is a bigger guy at 6'0 200 he didnt seem to shy away from the physical play, altho i just dont think there is going to be room for him next season especially at 19yrs old. If Stephenson stays healthy & decides to shoot more he should easily be a 1.3point/game player (which should put him in the 90pt range) I personally feel he passes up too many quality chances to shoot & makes an extra pass which isnt needed. McCoy/Samoridny/Rodewald all big players who skate well should be taking on bigger roles. Would love to see Christoffer really build off this 2nd half next season he should be able to play on the 2nd line all year next year.

18yr olds
Klimchuk
Hunt
Gay
Burroughs
Williams
Hand
Reimer
McLean
Harris

Klimchuk i would expect should be able to pot 40+ goals next season, especially if Stephenson stays healthy as his setup man. Burroughs & Williams will anchor our backend as a 1/2 punch (that doesnt mean they will play together for a certain poster on here) Hand i still think has alot to offer I think he will play a role like Fenske had as a 18/19yr old being that physical presence but being more willing to drop the mits. Hunt I believe the Pats really missed this year, a year off may of slowed down his development but hopefully he can come back with a clear mind & take on a role that will be expected of him (even with some rust for not playing for a full year) Reimer I think will be like another Christoffer, a late bloomer but will make this team out of camp. As for McLean & Harris it will be there last kick at the can to prove they can play at the WHL level.

17yr olds
Brooks
Mumby
Ortynski
Donald
Harrison
Koberstein
Nordstrom
Schioler
K. Scott

Alot of questions with the 17yr old group next season the 3 returning guys as 16yr olds are nothing special they definately are not going to blow anyone away (especially Ortynski). I dont know how much truth there is to it but someone on here reported that Donald is looking at NCAA which could be true as he was by far the best 16yr old at camp this past season. It would be nice if he chose to come the WHL route after all. Harrison I believe will make this team as will Nordstrom to close out our defense. I think they will take spots from some returning players 1 of them may end up being Mumby. Schioler I hope has worked on his skating this past season & is ready to make the jump, he was very physical in training camp & i expect him to keep that up yet again.

K. Scott 44gp 23g 44a 73pts (Okanagan Hockey Academdy)
Schioler 42gp 20g 20a 40pts

16yr olds
Zimmer
Reagan
Cole
Wagner
A. Scott
McAmmond
Litwin
Kroeker
Fulton
Finlay

The top 3 on my list will make the roster without a doubt, & all i believe will get way more playing time then this years group of 16yr olds. This group is the 2nd draft of the Lang & McMullin which is by far the strongest to date. Im curious to see if Liam Finlay has grown or put on any weight over the year til our next training camp. He was by far the most exciting player to watch in all of the camp last year (that includes the veterns) his 5'5 120LBS stature is a concern when playing with players much older & stronger. His speed & hockey sense is amazing, havent seen a player with that explosiveness in his legs since Hubbauer at age 15 & into his junior career.

Finlay 40gp 10g 40a
Cole 43gp 17g 25a
Zimmer 32gp 12g 7a
A. Scott 42gp 7g 12a
Reagan (cant find anything on Reagan)
Wagner 5gp 4g 1a (stats from Alberta Cup, couldnt find anything else)
Fulton 30gp 8g 9a 103pim (tough guy maybe? 6'4 185LBS)

Goalies
Sacher 19yr
Beukeboom 19yr
Burgardt 18yr
Churchill 17yr
Gora 17yr

This is 1 position i have zero concern about moving forward with this franchise. Im not sure if the Pats still kept Beukeboom's rights but im putting him into this list anyways. As he has a very strong season in the AJHL as did Burgardt in SMAAAHL.

Beukeboom .903SV% 2.65GAA 17-12-3 3SO
Burgardt .919SV% 2.03GAA 17-4-2 2SO

witness
03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
good post, Patsdude. You have done your research.

Here are some of my thoughts.

The 19 and 20 year old age group is weak. Other than Dyson Stevenson, I feel you are just settling to bring the others back. If Ouellette can find the scoring touch that he had at the begining of the season, then OK. The 19 year olds have some size, but other than Stephenson, no highend talent. Although, I really like McCoy, when he is on his game.

The 18 year olds are a good age group for the Pats. I think they will give McLean another look (I think he has a better upside than Gay). I think Harris is exploring the NCCA route. I am interested to see what Reimer can do. He came into camp last year with good midget numbers, but was underwelming at camp. Another year older may make a difference. Just a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt called it a career. The effects of the last concussion were a little scary.

I was a little disappointed in Brooks. I was hoping that he would have a decent second half of the season, but he faded as the season wore on. Schioler has had a good year in AAA. Let's hope putting the two together again will relight a fire. Donald is looking at the NCCA and is keeping his options open. I thought Mumby was OK. There were times that he looked a little overwhelmed, but he was forced to play minutes and against quality oposition that maybe he wasn't ready for. With the injuries the Pats couldn't insulate him as much as they were able to with Burroughs the year before. A name that I will throw out there for interest sake is Westeringh. I thought he was good in camp.

Reagan will make this team, no doubt about that. At 200 pounds, he is already the biggest defenseman at 15. A name you didn't have on your list was Kallis. The guy I like is Zimmer. He kind of got lost on a bad Notre Dame team, but I liked his game in camp. The other guy I am interested in is Litwin. As a 11th rounder, the Pats just may have got a steal.

I look for the Pats to trade Burgardt in the off season. I don't know if he fits in their plans, but is a quality goaltender. Churchill and Gora are ready for the jump to the WHL

patsdude114
03-11-2013, 01:17 PM
You know I came across the name Kallis as well but as I compared the name to the Pats prospect list on there website I didn't see name there (my of missed it totally as well) so I thought maybe they dropped him already.

I was very surprised when I was searching for that K. Scott kid & found him on OHA & avg almost 2pts/game. I thought wow maybe this kid is a very late bloomer & is ready for the WHL level now. But with the Pats luck I'm sure he is going the NCAA route or will be fine just playing Jr A.

Its definately hard to attrack the kids to the team when we haven't had a winning tradtion here in the last 10yrs, a season like this past 1 makes it even harder as well. There's gotta be hope at the end of the tunnel soon 1 would think. Look at how bad Portland was for so long & is now the class of the league & able to recruit top end prospects like Seth Jones. Sure they may be cheating the system abit, but its not like they took any players away sure they lost some picks but they have already built a winning tradition & will be easier to lure away a kid who is thinking of NCAA.

Reagan is suppose to be 1 of the bigger kids from that draft I was really surprised when I seen the new listed hieght/weight on Fulton to go along with his 100+ pim in midget where fights are still few & far between. I'm hoping this kid isn't afraid of the rough stuff will be nice to add in 2 big 16yr old kids on the backend who play physical.

I also really agree with ur comments about the 19 & 20yr old group, especially the 20yr old group. Stevenson truely is the only 1 worth bringing back, Ouellette isn't an offensive force by any means but he does a lot of very good things away from the puck that is hard to teach & could be an assest to the team moving forward for 1 more year. Fenske though he could definately be replaced he just doesn't bring enough to the team as a whole.

The 19yr old group though I really do like, I haven't been able to say that for a few yrs that's forsure. I think Samoridny brings more then the casual fan thinks & can throw Rodewald in there as well. Maybe the Pats can get Rodewald some boxing lessons cuz the kid just can't fight at all or does Aaron Boogaard still run that hockey session of leanr how to defend yourself (meaning learning to fight) that Derek started before his passing. Rodewald should be the 1st 1 in line for that class especially for his size, & strength. When he hits guys they feel it he hits like a brick wall but then guys want to defend there teammates & Rodewald always takes a beating cuz of it. See McIlrath vs Rodewald & see Ruopp vs Rodewald ha poor kid always gets the toughest guys in the league I'm surprised Ferland didn't fight him as well lol

RWAH
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Great post. I agree we are weak for 20 year olds next year but saskatoon will have 14 so could we get an upgrade with a trade before thhe draft. We have 3 - 4th round picks this year, could we trade to get a quality 20 year old that will have Memorial cup experience and who would you try to get?

witness
03-13-2013, 08:33 AM
I would be kicking the tires of Spokane. It may cost you a little more than just one draft pick, but there is some quality there.

One of Auiana, Holmberg or Fiddler will be available. All are proven goal scorers.

RWAH
03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Not sure Spokan will want to trade prior to the bantum draft. They have only 5 possible over aged for next year so I think they would hold all of them until the fall to see if any move up to the pro level. In total the top 8 teams have 52 playres that would be over age next year. Those same teams can carry (8 X 3= 24) so 28 are excess. Saskatoon has 10 of those or 1/3 of the over agers in the top 8 teams in the league. Cal. Edm. and Kam have 7. PA has 6. Spo 5. Kel. 4. and Por. 3. Just thought S'toon would want to move some before the draft and also recover some draft picks.

patsdude114
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
No 1s going to touch there 20yr olds as everyone but 3 I believe have a very good chance at going pro to the AHL next season. So outside of Valcourt, Beniot, Pufhal there isn't much to choose from until teams know who isn't going pro next season. (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Pufhal is 19 without looking since on my phone)

Rarely do u see 20yr olds being traded at the bantam draft & see that trend to continue this year as well.

SectionNDeserter
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
No 1s going to touch there 20yr olds as everyone but 3 I believe have a very good chance at going pro to the AHL next season. So outside of Valcourt, Beniot, Pufhal there isn't much to choose from until teams know who isn't going pro next season.I looked at their roster a while ago, and I figure they will return 6 of them at most. Valcourt, Astles, Burns, Benoit, Pufahl and Craig. No real duds there, so they should have no problems moving three of them.

patsdude114
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Ya can't see any of them going pro & can't see a huge line to pick up Astles, especially after his hand/wrist injury he may think twice about being that tough guy & maybe learn to play hockey now.

Even though the chances of any of them being moved at the draft is slim as none of them are worth anything more then a 3rd & that's being Burns alone. The others will bring back a 5th most likely once they are moved. Once camps open & teams see what they really need it could drive prices up slightly.

20yr olds rarely bring back a nice return unless a true star player which none of them are.

Bighat
03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Well seasons over and now we prepare for the drafts we get the 4th pick in the bantam draft and the 10th in the euro draft. This should be a good start, plus we should look to improve our 20 yr situation (sorry oulette, fenske) and take a shot at forsberg. I like the goaltending and most of the defence (Williams a little over rated on here), good crop of size and scoring up front. Should have a good challenge at the 16-17 yr olds at camp.

SectionNDeserter
03-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Well seasons over and now we prepare for the drafts we get the 4th pick in the bantam draftThe lottery is on the 20th, so you don't really know what pick they have yet.

Bighat
03-18-2013, 01:15 PM
What's the deal with the lottery, can only move up 2 spots and down 2?

patsdude114
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
well the Pats are assured no lower then the 4th pick, there is only 1 ball drawn for the lottery (as in every year) & can only move up 2 spots so if the Pats ball wins we will pick 2nd & VAN will still get the 1st pick. The Pats will either get the 2nd or the 4th pick (posssibly the 5th if LETH 1 ball wins) no other picks can be the outcome for the Pats. Also the lottery only is for the 1st round for the non playoff teams so come the 2nd & beyond rounds the order would look like this

van
pg
brn
evt
sea
reg
mj
leth
koo
mh
vic
sc
pa
rd
tc
spo
sask
cal
kam
edm
kel
port

Bighat
03-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Have you listed the teams in order, after the first round. I think the order stays the same for the playoff teams after the first round, I believe. We would have the 4th pick in each round (unless traded of course).

patsdude114
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Have you listed the teams in order, after the first round. I think the order stays the same for the playoff teams after the first round, I believe. We would have the 4th pick in each round (unless traded of course).

thats how the order is after the 1st round it goes by fewest points to most points (i just used a tie breaker by whoever had more wins as there was 4 teams tied with same amount of pts)

if u dont believe me here is the last line from the post on WHL.ca

"The Lottery only applies to the first round of the WHL Bantam Draft. For each round following the first round, WHL teams shall draft in the inverse order of final regular season standings with Vancouver receiving the first pick."

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-bantam-draft-lottery-wednesday theres the article as well i just found...the lottery is the same every year with the lottery only effecting the 1st round

Bighat
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanx.

patsdude114
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Wow the pats actually won something this year, the winning ball from the lottery draft was the Pats so we get the 2nd pick. Maybe things are looking up lol