PDA

View Full Version : all stars / R.O.Y nominee

mjw22
03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Congrats to Morgan Rielly on being selected to the first team. The nominee for rookie of the year makes me shake my head .Hawryluk or Point both who played big minutes on the youngest team are passed over for a guy who played on a veteran team that been falling since Jan. :confused:

patsdude114
03-21-2013, 02:54 AM
ive never been a fan of giving rookie of the year to a euro to begin with, i think the WHL/CHL should create an award for the euro's only

sbtatter
03-21-2013, 07:09 AM
ive never been a fan of giving rookie of the year to a euro to begin with, i think the WHL/CHL should create an award for the euro's only

This is a great suggestion, also i think the ROTY should only be open to 16 or 17 year olds.
In Feb I thought Point, Hawryluk or Pilon should win for the eastern Conference, but taking my WK glasses off, Point finished the season strong so would be my pick for Eastern Con ROTY.

Trav
03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't have a problem with import rookies winning the rookie of the year award although if the import had played in a pro league b4 coming over here I'd say okay, he shouldn't be considered. Draisaitl played in a league that's similar to the midget leagues we have here b4 he came here.

There were a lot of rookies in the east that could've won the award.

twentyone
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Draisaitl is only 17 yr olds, and is still only 17. both Point and Hawrlyuk have turned 17. He is less than 5 months older than Point and only 2 months and a week older than Hawrlyuk.

And he is more than deserving of the Rookie of the Year award. 58 points and a +22 in a foreign country. Very impressive.

sbtatter
03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Draisaitl is only 17 yr olds, and is still only 17. both Point and Hawrlyuk have turned 17. He is less than 5 months older than Point and only 2 months and a week older than Hawrlyuk.

And he is more than deserving of the Rookie of the Year award. 58 points and a +22 in a foreign country. Very impressive.

I think you have to factor in that Point and Hawryluk had no good players to shelter them, both MJ and Bdn were so poor that both those players often had to play against the others team top line, at least when we had schenn here he only had to play 2nd line, behind the Clark line, and he had great linemates in Calvert and Glennie. Point and Hawryluk basicaly had no one to work with, they were pretty exposed on crappy teams imo.....