PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference @ 1100am

lethbridgefan83
03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Hurricanes have called a Press Conference per the Facebook Fan Page.. Wonder if its about the Logo Debacle or if RP's Shelf Life just expired..

Bocephus
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Doing my happy dance. Already like the replacements. :D
Good for the kids! Soliid replacements imo.

lethbridgefan83
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Some interesting stuff on Dylan Purcell's blog, quoting from there
"I'm trying to find out if the coach they want is going to be there"
"Because Ive already confirmed the GM they want is there"

My speculation is RP stays as GM, but maybe a Coaching Change.... Also sounds like it must be someone local (maybe Pappaionu), If it was like a major league type of coach coming here someone would have known something by now..

On the other hand, all could be too many people reading between the lines and it could be a Logo Announcement, or something stupid like Twister Fell and broke his foot..

Bocephus
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm hearing from reliable sources that Kabayama is taking over head coaching with Twister as an assistant. Seems smart to not take on anymore salary. New mascot will be Dylan Purcell.

Tiger Trauma
03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
6 days ago. From a twitter account of Darrell Romuld

Pres. Brian McNaughton says there are NO immediate plans to fire HC/GM Rich Preston despite displeasure with results.

50 mins ago
Could there be a decision on the future of assistant coaches Matt Kabayama and Chris Chisamore? Canes call an 11am conference. Stay tuned.

RYLAH
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
According to their FaceBook page, Rich Preston has been relieved of his duties. Brad Robson is the new GM.

Derek Sutton
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Finally.

lethbridgefan83
03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Guess Ill have to go get my season tickets now LOL

blacksheep
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Hasn't the new GM been ultimately in charge of scouting for the last 10 years. How's that gone for us. :confused::confused::confused:

here for the long run
03-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Sure hope Brad hires the next head coach on one year terms. With the roster we have there should be zero tolerance for less than top 3 in the conference. Brad should have a lot of coaches to choose from with this roster.

Derek Sutton
03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Hasn't the new GM been ultimately in charge of scouting for the last 10 years. How's that gone for us. :confused::confused::confused:

Well no one can argue that going forward this is an excellent roster

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Sure hope Brad hires the next head coach on one year terms. With the roster we have there should be zero tolerance for less than top 3 in the conference. Brad should have a lot of coaches to choose from with this roster.

The problem is you will not get even a half decent coach if you only offer them a 1 year term. Three year terms are pretty much the norm and the minimum term that any quality coach will accept. Why would a top notch coaching prospect uproot his family and make such a major change in his life to move here etc etc if it might only be for 1 year. Not gonna happen.

I agree with your last point. With the talent level the Canes currently have and the prospects/draft picks that are just down the road, if I was an up and coming coach, I would beg to have the opportunity to take the Cane's job.

p.s. While it would be a strange and outside the box way of doing things, because they already live here and may really want the job; offer Michael Dyck or a local Sutter brother a 1 year put up or shut-up type of contract. Again, not gonna happen, but it ain't as crazy as it sounds.

blacksheep
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
yeah. let's go back to the future. non starter.

blacksheep
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Really. Excellent roster. The drafts and player picks for the last ten years have basically netted zero results. Remember this is the guy who took Merkley over and above other abundant talent. :confused::confused:

here for the long run
03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=HURRICANE'S ROCK;190282]The problem is you will not get even a half decent coach if you only offer them a 1 year term. Three year terms are pretty much the norm and the minimum term that any quality coach will accept. Why would a top notch coaching prospect uproot his family and make such a major change in his life to move here etc etc if it might only be for 1 year. Not gonna happen.

A bit of sarcasm on my part, I LIKE the Robson move but was annoyed by the accountability comment. Rich was asked to build through the draft and had many draft picks and players to move to put some quality 18 and 19 year olds on our team this season. He followed through with the building through the draft/future and did not make the splash type moves to secure the playoffs. Unacceptable to not make the playoffs, just think the comment was unprofessional. You want accountability, hire a coach that wins or is gone (one and done). Rich and his coaching staff are the scapegoats and the future regime will be able to reap the rebuild they were asked to follow through with. Since the accountability comment I have Zero tolerance for un-successful seasons. We had the most pathetic 19 year old group in the W this season. Not a recipe for success. Maybe it was Rich’s arrogance to not bring more in, I Don’t know I’m not part of the team?

here for the long run
03-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Really. Excellent roster. The drafts and player picks for the last ten years have basically netted zero results. Remember this is the guy who took Merkley over and above other abundant talent. :confused::confused:

We did go to a W finals. You don't go with a crap roster. Also remember we could have had Seth Jones the potential 1st overall pick if it wasn't for Roy's brilliant Beach trade.

blacksheep
03-26-2013, 10:43 PM
We did go to a W finals. You don't go with a crap roster. Also remember we could have had Seth Jones the potential 1st overall pick if it wasn't for Roy's brilliant Beach trade. We went to the whl western final due to the trades, although Stasiuk left us weak, there is no other team in the dub that has taken five years. McNaughton spouts a five year plan, nonsense, the entire league operates on a three year plan. Basically you loose 6 players a year if you have your act together. :o:o:o:o

shushu
03-26-2013, 10:56 PM

scouting with player development thats where the real problems lie, preston didn't posess the ability to work with young talent.........

shushu
03-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Guess Ill have to go get my season tickets now LOL

it may be time to come back and watch the canes again, this is a fresh start as long as the canes dont fall back into the same old rut and hire some has bin coach.....................

shushu
03-26-2013, 11:31 PM
this is definately a step in the right direction for the canes and their fans and the city for that matter, i like the way they moves robson up the gm it solves more than one problem at a time..money, the lack of interest in coming to a weather worn business and an instant knowledge of the players and team.. i love how robson said he will wait until the mem cup and the nhl is done to see what becomes available in the coaching world......let the new realm begin.........................

blacksheep
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
this is definately a step in the right direction for the canes and their fans and the city for that matter, i like the way they moves robson up the gm it solves more than one problem at a time..money, the lack of interest in coming to a weather worn business and an instant knowledge of the players and team.. i love how robson said he will wait until the mem cup and the nhl is done to see what becomes available in the coaching world......let the new realm begin......................... Romould from CTV is muttering on twitter about a group coming forward to purchase the team. any info.

shushu
03-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Romould from CTV is muttering on twitter about a group coming forward to purchase the team. any info.

at this point and time i'm sure there will be alot of interest in a wide variety of people that look at the canes as a team in chaos....i spoke to a friend last year that was close to the team and he said the league didn;t push for the sale of the canes so it never happened....its hard to say what is the the right answer at this point, when your standing in the middle of nowhere choosing a direction is a confusing question..............

canes77
03-27-2013, 12:58 AM

No, he was with the Dallas Stars until 2008.

His first draft with the Canes would have been the 1994 players... Adam Henry, Yakubowski, Maxwell, McKechnie, etc.

That's because this excellent roster needs a decent coach to net results...

And YES he chose Merkley, but he ALSO chose Pilon, Duke, Erkamps, as well as late picks in Russ Maxwell, Watson and Hackman.

Robson will be a fantastic GM.

patsdude114
03-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Merkley was rated in the top 3 in his bantam draft year he had a great season as klimchuk's center but he just never panned out... it happens lots in the bantam draft just get over it already... maybe it was fully on Preston for not developing Merkley, time will tell next season when Merkley has new start in SC at the start of the year. The kid has alot of untapped potential still.

You think Seattle wishes they had taken Morrissey or Heatherington over Hauf at #4....if u look at that draft alone looks like everyone who picked before #16 screwed up by not selecting Nicolas Petan, most likely will be the best junior player out of the whole draft class, after all they are running a junior franchise look out for the best of there franchise. Portland will most likely keep Petan til he is 20yrs old due to his size alone where the other top players like Morrissey, Lazar could be gone by the age of 19 none of the top guys will be back as a 20yr old (besides maybe Merkley). Sometimes drafting too good doesnt help u either, look at RD for instance drafting RNH if they had him this year chances are very good they would of been the class of the eastern conference. The Bantam draft is a crap shoot & comes down to coaching to develop these players as well.

So enough already about the Merkley thing, yes he didnt pan out in LETH get over it, it happens to every franchise out there.

O&C
03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Merkley was rated in the top 3 in his bantam draft year he had a great season as klimchuk's center but he just never panned out... it happens lots in the bantam draft just get over it already... maybe it was fully on Preston for not developing Merkley, time will tell next season when Merkley has new start in SC at the start of the year. The kid has alot of untapped potential still.

You think Seattle wishes they had taken Morrissey or Heatherington over Hauf at #4....if u look at that draft alone looks like everyone who picked before #16 screwed up by not selecting Nicolas Petan, most likely will be the best junior player out of the whole draft class, after all they are running a junior franchise look out for the best of there franchise. Portland will most likely keep Petan til he is 20yrs old due to his size alone where the other top players like Morrissey, Lazar could be gone by the age of 19 none of the top guys will be back as a 20yr old (besides maybe Merkley). Sometimes drafting too good doesnt help u either, look at RD for instance drafting RNH if they had him this year chances are very good they would of been the class of the eastern conference. The Bantam draft is a crap shoot & comes down to coaching to develop these players as well.

So enough already about the Merkley thing, yes he didnt pan out in LETH get over it, it happens to every franchise out there.

Thank you!

+ 1

Changing topic. I know there are more questions than answers right now but what does this team do for a goalie next year? Is Tai ready to be no. 1?

the flying moose
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Send some of whatever they were drinking in Lethbridge to PG and maybe we will have a coaching/GM change also. Please and thank you from a desperate PG fan. ;)

shushu
03-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Send some of whatever they were drinking in Lethbridge to PG and maybe we will have a coaching/GM change also. Please and thank you from a desperate PG fan. ;)

all powerhouse teams :rolleyes: great to be a fan......

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
.. when your standing in the middle of nowhere choosing a direction is a confusing question..............

When I read your little quip it stood out as something interesting but it seemed to either make total sense or be complete gibberish...hehe. The more I read it and thought about it, the more it makes total sense! Good one. I guess we can call it a Shuism. :o

moon
03-29-2013, 12:15 AM

I thought Preston was a terrible coach (and much worse Gm) but the blame he gets for this team as a coach is way too much.

he certainly didn't help but this team lost games because the talent is not there. They may have some guys with shiny bantam resumes but they are not showing anything at the WHL level and for the most part there is no reason to expect them to do much better in the next couple of years.

yes this team needs a new coach but it needs some actual talent on the roster as well.

blacksheep
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I thought Preston was a terrible coach (and much worse Gm) but the blame he gets for this team as a coach is way too much.

he certainly didn't help but this team lost games because the talent is not there. They may have some guys with shiny bantam resumes but they are not showing anything at the WHL level and for the most part there is no reason to expect them to do much better in the next couple of years.

yes this team needs a new coach but it needs some actual talent on the roster as well.

Thanks Moon, that was my point, and who has provided the talent for the last five years, the new GM.:confused::confused:

here for the long run
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks Moon, that was my point, and who has provided the talent for the last five years, the new GM.:confused::confused:

Well Brad apparently is "accountable" for those picks and will be for future picks and moves. I am to the point that the accountability comment is only applicable for a private owner who would have been accountable to this team, the financial investment/profit and its fans. There is no way this team would leave this City with a private owner. Our size, location and arena are near perfect for a Whl team.

shushu
03-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Well Brad apparently is "accountable" for those picks and will be for future picks and moves. I am to the point that the accountability comment is only applicable for a private owner who would have been accountable to this team, the financial investment/profit and its fans. There is no way this team would leave this City with a private owner. Our size, location and arena are near perfect for a Whl team.

the whl would have to aprove the move as well...the only thing robison said is the canes need to get back on track money wise....

shushu
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM

robson did the leg work on the talent out there and preston was the final say in who comes here, thats the gm's job.. you cant blame someone for putting 5 top prospect in front of preston and him choosing the wrong ones....i heard more than once about robson having small deals in place with other team and preston giving them the axe,because he's the gm....ps........coaching is everything when you are talking about young kids.....linsey hofford come to mind..............

patsdude114
03-30-2013, 06:42 PM
The thing I dont get is you guys claim you have a great roster moving forward, which i can say your roster looks good for next season but who is responsible for that roster in the end? Rich Preston is thats who

He is in the same boat as Mollenken is they are too old school of coaches that dont work anymore in todays game. Bob Lowes comes to mind where the game just out grew him. Preston wasnt a bad GM just like Mollenken but to the coaching part of it, the game has just past them & they are left spinning there tires. both guys can still see talent which is key to being a GM, but it takes a coach to motivate & develop these kids to guide them in the right direction not just on the ice but off the ice as well.

CanesCrazy
03-30-2013, 09:24 PM
but Preston was relieved of his duties as both GM and coach. The roster will be coached by someone new next season.

patsdude114
03-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Haha I have heard & thatwhy I'm commenting about it. Preston is a coach of the past just like Mollenken is but both know how to find talent & be a GM in this league