PDA

View Full Version : The Off Season

Wildeyes
03-28-2013, 12:01 AM
What are the thoughts for the off season suggestions predictions?

Wildeyes
03-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Is Jesse Wallin coaching anywhere how would he do as coach for PA if Young is not back

Raider Believer
03-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Is Jesse Wallin coaching anywhere how would he do as coach for PA if Young is not back

A players coach and a terrific guy! A guy with great integrity.

Wildeyes
03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
If they want this guy they need to go after him quickly he wont be jobless for long

Sttop
03-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I would really like to hear a announcement of what the board has decided to do regarding Bruno and Steve . I would be happy if they kept both Manson and Leonard on but I have a feeling one of them has to be a fall guy. Bruno took over the GM job on Jan 15 of 2008 (but actually was calling the shots before the deadline that year as the board had already decided Clark was gone but kept Clark on to help Bruno for the remainder of the year.In the time that Bruno has had to right the ship the team is a staggering 32 games below .500 . What is more alarming is the 2 playoff game wins in that time. I will agree that the team is in better shape in every other aspect though. I also have no doubt that Bruno has worked tirelessly on improving the team. I think they made a huge mistake not taking Harkins or Estephan in last years draft though.

Wapitikev
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I would really like to hear a announcement of what the board has decided to do regarding Bruno and Steve . I would be happy if they kept both Manson and Leonard on but I have a feeling one of them has to be a fall guy. Bruno took over the GM job on Jan 15 of 2008 (but actually was calling the shots before the deadline that year as the board had already decided Clark was gone but kept Clark on to help Bruno for the remainder of the year.In the time that Bruno has had to right the ship the team is a staggering 32 games below .500 . What is more alarming is the 2 playoff game wins in that time. I will agree that the team is in better shape in every other aspect though. I also have no doubt that Bruno has worked tirelessly on improving the team. I think they made a huge mistake not taking Harkins or Estephan in last years draft though.I'll wait to see how good Ghule, McBride and Gennaro are before I agree or disagree.

My math doesn't match yours. I subtracted points each year from games (games being 1/2 of the total points one could get if they won every game that year ie .500)....then divided the difference by 2 (2-points per game).

Since Bruno's first full season as GM in 2008-2009, that's only 14 games below 500 (+4.5 this year, -12 last year, -2.5 in 10/11, -1.5 in 09/10, -2.5 in 08/09). If we add 07/08 when Bruno was only coach until after the trade deadline, we still only get 21.5 games below .500.

If my math is wrong, let me know.

That we were 26 games below .500 at the end of last year says volumes about the quality of players that were on the team in previous years.

This year, with a team full of talent developed, listed by or traded for by Bruno, they were 4.5 games over .500 despite the awful on-ice results in the second half. Edmonton was 18 games over .500, for comparison.

But there's no sugar-coating the 2nd half train wreck after the amazing first half.

Jan 1 2013 onward: 0.277
Last season Jan 1 2012 onward : 0.219

Record March 2013: 0.167
Last season, March 2012: 0.111

Goals-for pre-Jan1: 3.5/game
Goals-for after Jan1: 2.75/game
Last season after Jan1: 2.88/game

Goals-against pre-Jan1: 3.07
Goals-against after Jan1: 3.91
Last season after Jan1: 4.81

Putting aside the obvious fact that some teams peaked late while we peaked early and then just tired out...why else were we downright awful in the second 1/2?

The 2nd half can't be laid on Jayden Hart...he had more points after the trade, when we sucked, than McVeigh had before the trade when we didn't. True he was -21 during the time when goals-against went way up, but he's not the only culprit there...

The problem wasn't that Busenius wasn't an improvement over Hodder, either.

The problem was not Luke Siemens...despite being tired in March, his save % didn't change much in the 2nd 1/2 (Feb was actually his best full-month of the season 0.937).

Sure a number of forwards went into a scoring slump, but McVeigh didn't play with many of them, so the trade should not have caused that.

And even if the locker-room chemistry changed, like I said before, with the talent displayed up and down the roster in the first half (scoring by committee) the players and coaches should not have needed 40 games to sort that out.

BUT. One thing that everyone seems to have overlooked is: Busenius' arrival caused a HUGE reduction in Sawyer Lange's effect on the team.

Sawyer Lange pretty-much was demoted from the 2nd D-pairing to the 3rd D-pairing.

On a 6-man squad, that's a MAJOR change to on-ice chemistry both defensively and offensively.

While playing fewer minutes since Jan1, Sawyer managed to keep his assists up (only one assist less than in the 1st half) but went from 9 goals to 0 goals in the 2nd 1/2, while Busenius, playing 2nd-pair minutes, had only 2 goals.

Vandane went from a D-man that was (by comparison) defensively sound to one that wasn't, and Lange played fewer minutes, almost no power play and was beside Morden (most of the time)...all of which are likely to cause more minuses, eliminate scoring chances (for Lange) and, in the end, almost completely erased most of the positive aspects Lange brought to the team in the first 1/2 of the season.

Essentially we took a 9 goal 17-point d-man who was +18 who knew our system and replaced him on the 2nd d-pair with a guy who didn't know our system and who went 2 goals, 18 points and was -10.

Was this change big enough to cause the slump? By itself, no. But coupled with all the other problems, it was a major part of the equation that was never addressed.

Why no one realized that it was part of the problem (or corrected it if they did) is one of the biggest un-answered questions, for me, since Christmas. And it is one of the biggest problems that needs to be fixed next fall.

No, I am not related to Sawyer Lange.

Yes, hind-sight is 20-20.

In addition, our "system" rarely sees forwards going to the net without the puck, our power play is dead-last in the league, our players appear to be rewarded for consistently poor play because they rarely sit, line combinations change too often for players to learn how to play together, and there seemed to be a leadership void from the 19 and 20yo players.

Does that mean changing faces? Time will tell.

Rant-off

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Just re-reading the post above and want to clarify that I am not blaming Busenius for the second half.

As I said on a previous thread, he has played better defensively for us than he did for Medicine Hat. He simply has not fully meshed his scoring instincts with our defensive system, and he may never do so.

He is learning though. For example, he was -22 for MH but only -10 for us during our worst offensive production of the season. In fact he was +4 in February.

Whether he will be able to stick as a 20yo next fall remains to be seen (I didn't want Corbin back last year but he was here to start the pre-season).

BUT, as I also said on another thread, I've never understood the need for the Busenius trade, in the first place...given the choice, I would still have preferred to let Sawyer Lange develop his scoring touch in the second half of last season...we needed another Ruopp, not another Vandane.

With Morrissey(18), Busenius(20) and Lange(19) capable of offense and returning next fall, Ghule(16), Burr(16), Verall(17) and Guenther(19) better be solid defensively to compensate.

...otherwise Bruno better start trading for some good stay-at-home d-men to play with whoever he's keeping, so we can replace the defense we're losing with Ruopp on the first-pairing and finally get the defense we need on the second and third d-paring.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
With Morrissey(18), Busenius(20) and Lange(19) capable of offense and returning next fall, Ghule(16), Burr(16), Verall(17) and Guenther(19) better be solid defensively to compensate.

-Wapitikev

I would say that Big Mac , Kristjon Finnson , and possibly Zach Douglas will have great shots along with Guhle and Guenther . Douglas from what I have read played solid hockey for the Bruins this year . I would think Mackenzie Stewart will get a long long look if Ruopp is not returned. The team will need some toughness. I would think without adding any 20s we will look something like this

Morrissey - Lange
Busenius - Guenther
Ghule - Stewart
Finnson

the Raiders will also have a shot at a impact Euro with there 1st round Euro pick. I hope the Raiders give the reigns in goal to Parentau. I didn't notice anyone from the Raiders watching the AAA final yesterday but Parentau has continued to grow and is more controlled in goal.

mill rat
03-31-2013, 12:52 AM
disappointing second half and end to the season. oh well, there is always next year. and i have to say i wouldn't be disappointed if the board decided to clean house from the gm on down. or at the very least bring in a different coach.

Dwight Schrute
03-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Personally I think a complete wipe of Bruno a d Steve would be for the best

I've never been a big Bruno fan. And continue to think he has done a poor job and failed (please no rose coloured retort kev)
But really who could they get to come in and clean up......
Which is why I think both will return as nobody better will be interested

Wapitikev
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I would say that Big Mac , Kristjon Finnson , and possibly Zach Douglas will have great shots along with Guhle and Guenther . Douglas from what I have read played solid hockey for the Bruins this year . I would think Mackenzie Stewart will get a long long look if Ruopp is not returned. The team will need some toughness. I would think without adding any 20s we will look something like this

Morrissey - Lange
Busenius - Guenther
Ghule - Stewart
Finnson

the Raiders will also have a shot at a impact Euro with there 1st round Euro pick. I hope the Raiders give the reigns in goal to Parentau. I didn't notice anyone from the Raiders watching the AAA final yesterday but Parentau has continued to grow and is more controlled in goal.This far out from training camp, not knowing the other 20s or where the euro will play, and ruling out any list-magic, that's a pretty good list.

Most likely, if any, to change is Finnson. Verrall was better than Finnson out of camp last year. They are the same age (17) but Finnson is 2" shorter and 18 lbs lighter. Most of a season with the MJ Generals won't have hurt Verrall any and assuming he can come back from the broken femur (sustained in Feb), a 6'2" 188lb (expect that to go up before camp) D-man with good positioning and long reach who can skate, doesn't have delusions of being a scorer and doesn't take unnecessary penalties will be a welcome addition on the back end.

I'm thinking that the only way Finnson is here this fall is if Stewart or Burr don't make the team.

Douglas is an interesting possibility...a year older than Verrall and the same weight at 2" smaller, he's likely more physically ready for the W but he also did not make it to main camp last fall when Verrall and Finnson did. But, being the only Saskatchewan player invited to the Canadian Junior A Prospects Game last fall is a plus in his favour, however.

Burr, missing virtually all his senior Bantam year and all his rookie Midget year with injured shoulders (different sides in different years) doesn't bode well for his WHL future, this fall at least, no matter how talented he is.

Stewart started and finished the year as a rookie with the Calgary Mustangs of the AJHL. Looks like he had a relatively quiet year, scoring wise, but definitely worked on his physical game. 82 minutes in penalties in 36 games. Looks like 11 minor penalties and 12 fighting majors (three games had 17, 14, and 17 pims!). Considering that some of those minors were likely for instigating...Woo! Welcome back 1980's Raider Hockey! Sure hope he's learned proper positioning.

Yes, losing Ruopp is a huge subtraction, but having 3 lines that can all play defense is what we will need if we are going to bet the entire year on a rookie goalie (or two).

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Personally I think a complete wipe of Bruno a d Steve would be for the best

I've never been a big Bruno fan. And continue to think he has done a poor job and failed (please no rose coloured retort kev)
But really who could they get to come in and clean up......
Which is why I think both will return as nobody better will be interestedMy glasses are GREEN coloured, Dwight.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
04-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Harrison Ruopp signed with Pittsburgh today, according to the Raiders' press release of a few minutes ago.

Congratulations to him...may he have a long, successful career in the NHL.

He will be missed, here in PA.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Harrison Ruopp signed with Pittsburgh today, according to the Raiders' press release of a few minutes ago.

Congratulations to him...may he have a long, successful career in the NHL.

He will be missed, here in PA.

-Wapitikev

Probably my favourite raider since Byers and may. Congrats and good luck

Sttop
04-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Very well deserved. He worked hard every night. Huge hit to the team next year

Wapitikev
04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Any one seen Matt Zentner play recently?

If so, any thoughts, praise or criticism?

Almost forgot about him this season without seeing him at camp or through the year.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
04-13-2013, 08:37 AM
For those that didn't know alumni Dustin butler backed up luongo the other night on a emergency basis.

Sttop
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Any one seen Matt Zentner play recently?

If so, any thoughts, praise or criticism?

Almost forgot about him this season without seeing him at camp or through the year.

-Wapitikev

I am not sure he is still listed . I am sure Parentau is the go to guy with his play this year. Leading the Contacts to the Telus Cup . In Provincial play he posted a 1.85 GAA and a tight .944 save % , and I know that he only allowed 1 goal in the last 2 games at Western regionals as well.

mill rat
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Young won't be back next. Now, what does the Board do about Campese?

j dirty fan
04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
2 more years of Bruno!!!!

Wapitikev
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
I am not sure he is still listed . I am sure Parentau is the go to guy with his play this year. Leading the Contacts to the Telus Cup . In Provincial play he posted a 1.85 GAA and a tight .944 save % , and I know that he only allowed 1 goal in the last 2 games at Western regionals as well.Pretty sure Zentner's still listed.

I'm not arguing that Parenteau is a bad goalie, but lets look at both their stats:

Parenteau, 12 team SMAAAHL:
Regular season: GAA 2.58, sv% 0.912, 6th overall
Playoffs: GAA 1.81, sv% 0.944, 5th overall
Telus Cup (6-team tourney): GAA 3.76, sv% ? 5th overall

Zentner, 19 team AMHL:
Regular season: GAA 1.80, sv% 0.923, 2nd overall
Playoffs: GAA 1.93, sv% 0.915, 2nd overall (of goalies who played at least 1 complete game)
Telus Cup (6-team tourney): GAA 1.65, sv% ? 1st overall

It would seem that Zentner's improved a fair bit since Raiders Summer Camp, last year in Saskatoon...perhaps even more than Parenteau has.

It was reported today that Bruno is not looking for any trades at the draft (like he was last year). That says to me that he's satisfied with his goalies going into camp, this fall.

Zentner is a year older than Parenteau and, if he's interested in being a WHL goalie, he'll get a good long look from the new coach, Kelly, Dale and Bruno at camp this summer (assuming we have a summer one) and this fall.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
04-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Young won't be back next. Now, what does the Board do about Campese?Considering that the Bantam Draft is only a few days away, if the Board hasn't replaced Bruno by now then they are not going to.

As such, a contract extension is likely being negotiated.

That extension would likely be at least 2 years.

Today's news release did not promote Dave or Tim into Steve's job, so that tells me that Bruno will be interviewing for a new Coach for the fall.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
04-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Congrats on his Gold Medal at the Wu18 and for showing the chaps at NHL Central Scouting that they brain-farted.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
04-30-2013, 11:51 PM
New Raider Coach to-do list:

-Find a forward who is willing to drive to the net, every time, with or without the puck, and put him on the top line (maybe give the '11/'12 Mike Winther a call) .

-Fix the power play.

-Teach the team what to do once all 5 players are setup in the o-zone...so we can score on more than just the rush.

-Don't juggle line combinations every game. Let players get used to each other. Let them play their way through the droughts.

-Encourage your players to understand that they need to score at least 3 goals every game, NOT sit back and try to play defense after the 1st or 2nd goal.

-Break the cycle where players who phone-in their performance one night expect to play again the next game...PARTICULARLY for first line players. Sitting the bench for the 1st period of the next game (or in the stands if the message needs to be shouted at them) is perfectly acceptable.

-Put Sawyer Lange back on one of the top 2 d-pairs and leave him there (yes, on the pp as well) until he plays his way off. Demoting him in favour of Busenius turned out to be one of the worst coaching decisions in the second half (hind-sight is 20/20).

-Ask Busenius to focus on offense, now that he has spent some time trying to learn defense.

-Ask Hart to focus on learning some defense.

-Play your backup goalie (a lot) more.

And welcome to PA...no pressure. :)

-Wapitikev, armchair coach.

RandyJackson
05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Considering that the Bantam Draft is only a few days away, if the Board hasn't replaced Bruno by now then they are not going to.

As such, a contract extension is likely being negotiated.

That extension would likely be at least 2 years.

Today's news release did not promote Dave or Tim into Steve's job, so that tells me that Bruno will be interviewing for a new Coach for the fall.

-Wapitikev

I'm not sure if keeping Bruno past the draft is necessarily indicative of us extending his contract. He's been out there searching for what this particular team needs, so I don't think it would be very smart to suddenly toss a new guy into the mix and scrap all of the research Bruno has done for this year's draft. And with the lack of success during his reign (excluding this past year's first half) I would be greatly surprised if any extension was anything more than keeping him on a year-to-year basis. I'm surprised he's even been kept around as he has. Saying he's on thin ice would be an understatement, especially after the flopped trade with MedHat at the deadline.

Raider Believer
05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if keeping Bruno past the draft is necessarily indicative of us extending his contract. He's been out there searching for what this particular team needs, so I don't think it would be very smart to suddenly toss a new guy into the mix and scrap all of the research Bruno has done for this year's draft. And with the lack of success during his reign (excluding this past year's first half) I would be greatly surprised if any extension was anything more than keeping him on a year-to-year basis. I'm surprised he's even been kept around as he has. Saying he's on thin ice would be an understatement, especially after the flopped trade with MedHat at the deadline.

Can't say I feel sorry for Young. He was nothing more than a Campese lackey. IMO the last half of the season was a more accurate reflection of the team's abilities, the first half a teaser because the team was playing way over its head. Around town, word is that no less than one former WHL mgr/coach and one current BCHL executive have been interviewed to replace Bruno. They were unable to come to terms. I think we'll be stuck with Campese's mediocrity for at least one more season. I feel sorry for the next coach because, unlike Wapitikev's unwavering belief in our talent depth, I think the team has very little depth and subpar talent. Bruno should have been given the boot last year. We will be icing a very weak team this year and will miss the playoffs. And we are having these conversations because Bruno's 5 year plan was such a success ???

Dwight Schrute
05-01-2013, 11:18 PM
So I was reading the small at large blog and was curious if it was correct that the rAiders have no picks after #13 until late in the fifth ? I didn't realize Bruno traded away most of the picks

Wapitikev
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
So I was reading the small at large blog and was curious if it was correct that the rAiders have no picks after #13 until late in the fifth ? I didn't realize Bruno traded away most of the picksWe have PG's third round pick...not sure about after that.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I always enjoy your rants, RB.

Can't say I feel sorry for Young. He was nothing more than a Campese lackey.You have obviously never been fired after trying your best to accomplish something.

Steve tried things. They didn't work out in the 2nd half. It sucks, but that's what happened.

So despite taking a team that finished 22nd last year and finishing 10th this season, he was fired for a bad second 1/2 and a playoff sweep.

Some of us appreciate that he tried...best of luck in the future Steve.

IMO the last half of the season was a more accurate reflection of the team's abilities, the first half a teaser because the team was playing way over its head.So you're saying that the Raiders had the same "ability" all year? Were all the teams they beat in the first half not trying?

Either a team can play to a certain level or they cannot...they obviously had the "ability" to play as well as they did in the first half, because they actually DID.

The team stopped playing as a team in the second half, scoring by committee disappeared, and the rest is history.

The ability didn't go away...but the effort (teamwork, execution, whatever) did.

Motivating players, using them effectively and getting them to work together are pretty major parts of a head coach's job description.

Getting a head coach that is successful at that (all year, year after year) is the GM's job.

Around town, word is that no less than one former WHL mgr/coach and one current BCHL executive have been interviewed to replace Bruno. They were unable to come to terms.Conspiracy theorists rejoice! The secret meetings have begun! Sorry to hear that they refused to meet your price, RB.

I think we'll be stuck with Campese's mediocrity for at least one more season.PA is a small market and the budget available to run the club precludes paying for the best coaches and GMs that money can buy. The Board isn't going to run out and make a change knowing that they cannot afford to change for change's sake. The only way they'll make a change is if they are certain that the new guy will do better than the one they already have.

Speaking of money the team has, didn't the operating deficits get smaller every year for the last three years? And didn't average attendance increase 2 years running? And how does the team make money again?

More people coming to games every year and raising revenue more than costs, year after year, doesn't seem to support your thesis that the GM has failed...

Neither does better than average drafting/listing, and winning more trades than we lose.

Maybe Bruno's forcing people to come and buy tickets at gunpoint. Shame on him (and his 5-year plan)!

For my part, I'm much happier with the current GM than the one we had from 2001-2008, when we certainly didn't get what we paid for.

I feel sorry for the next coach because, unlike Wapitikev's unwavering belief in our talent depth, I think the team has very little depth and subpar talent.I enjoyed watching Santucci play last year. As far as I can tell, everyone on the squad this fall, after camp, will be more talented than he is...many of them considerably so.

Perhaps you'd like to make a list of the sub-par talent we may have next fall? Or even a list of who you consider to be par?

Go Joey! :D

Bruno should have been given the boot last year.That prediction didn't come true last year...looks like it isn't coming true this year.

But, very few GMs resign.

So keep predicting Bruno should be fired...odds are, someday, you'll be right. :)

We will be icing a very weak team this year and will miss the playoffs.Given the historical trend in seasons that end in even-numbers (2008, 2010, 2012), 8th place next spring will require as many points as we had this season, maybe even a few more.

I predict we will make at least 8th and will have at least 80 points, again.

To do that we will need to find a successful coach...the hardest thing for any GM to accomplish.

If Bruno cannot do so, again, next season, then the Board may very well make your long-standing prediction come true.

And we are having these conversations because Bruno's 5 year plan was such a success ???No, we are having this discussion because you don't like Bruno and are bringing it up, again.

btw - How many of the kids we drafted today have sub-par talent and will further our lack of depth?

Keep smiling RB. :)

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
I always enjoy your rants, RB.

You have obviously never been fired after trying your best to accomplish something.

Steve tried things. They didn't work out in the 2nd half. It sucks, but that's what happened.

So despite taking a team that finished 22nd last year and finishing 10th this season, he was fired for a bad second 1/2 and a playoff sweep.

Some of us appreciate that he tried...best of luck in the future Steve.

So you're saying that the Raiders had the same "ability" all year? Were all the teams they beat in the first half not trying?

Either a team can play to a certain level or they cannot...they obviously had the "ability" to play as well as they did in the first half, because they actually DID.

The team stopped playing as a team in the second half, scoring by committee disappeared, and the rest is history.

The ability didn't go away...but the effort (teamwork, execution, whatever) did.

Motivating players, using them effectively and getting them to work together are pretty major parts of a head coach's job description.

Getting a head coach that is successful at that (all year, year after year) is the GM's job.

Conspiracy theorists rejoice! The secret meetings have begun! Sorry to hear that they refused to meet your price, RB.

PA is a small market and the budget available to run the club precludes paying for the best coaches and GMs that money can buy. The Board isn't going to run out and make a change knowing that they cannot afford to change for change's sake. The only way they'll make a change is if they are certain that the new guy will do better than the one they already have.

Speaking of money the team has, didn't the operating deficits get smaller every year for the last three years? And didn't average attendance increase 2 years running? And how does the team make money again?

More people coming to games every year and raising revenue more than costs, year after year, doesn't seem to support your thesis that the GM has failed...

Neither does better than average drafting/listing, and winning more trades than we lose.

Maybe Bruno's forcing people to come and buy tickets at gunpoint. Shame on him (and his 5-year plan)!

For my part, I'm much happier with the current GM than the one we had from 2001-2008, when we certainly didn't get what we paid for.

I enjoyed watching Santucci play last year. As far as I can tell, everyone on the squad this fall, after camp, will be more talented than he is...many of them considerably so.

Perhaps you'd like to make a list of the sub-par talent we may have next fall? Or even a list of who you consider to be par?

Go Joey! :D

That prediction didn't come true last year...looks like it isn't coming true this year.

But, very few GMs resign.

So keep predicting Bruno should be fired...odds are, someday, you'll be right. :)

Given the historical trend in seasons that end in even-numbers (2008, 2010, 2012), 8th place next spring will require as many points as we had this season, maybe even a few more.

To do that we will need to find a successful coach...the hardest thing for any GM to accomplish.

If Bruno cannot do so, again, next season, then the Board may very well make your long-standing prediction come true.

No, we are having this discussion because you don't like Bruno and are bringing it up, again.

btw - How many of the kids we drafted today have sub-par talent and will further our lack of depth?

Keep smiling RB. :)

-Wapitikev

And I always enjoy your very long winded rebuttals written through not just rose colored glasses, but something approaching neon pink!
Wapitikev, you've been hanging your PA hat on the 5 year plan for at least the last 3 seasons, always claiming that assessing Bruno's performance was premature until after the full fifth season ...... this years result was average, and yes we did play well the first half, many teams get on hot streaks but the season has a habit of levelling teams to their actual talent level, that's why we play full seasons. Next year looks grim because we are going to be missing several key pieces, and I truly believe that our goalie was top notch this season and will be missed more than many realize.
It seems to me that Young is taking the fall for a very bad trade with Medicine Hat, a trade that soured the chemistry on the team. A trade and result that Campese is not taking ownership for. Shame on him. :(

Wapitikev
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
And I always enjoy your very long winded rebuttals written through not just rose colored glasses, but something approaching neon pink!
Wapitikev, you've been hanging your PA hat on the 5 year plan for at least the last 3 seasons, always claiming that assessing Bruno's performance was premature until after the full fifth season ...... this years result was average, and yes we did play well the first half, many teams get on hot streaks but the season has a habit of levelling teams to their actual talent level, that's why we play full seasons. Next year looks grim because we are going to be missing several key pieces, and I truly believe that our goalie was top notch this season and will be missed more than many realize.
It seems to me that Young is taking the fall for a very bad trade with Medicine Hat, a trade that soured the chemistry on the team. A trade and result that Campese is not taking ownership for. Shame on him. :(I keep telling you guys, my glasses are green coloured. :)

And I've only been on the message board, for a 1.5 years (I know, it just seems like forever). ;)

We traded an average forward (McVeigh) and a below average d-man (Hodder) for an above average forward (Hart) and an average d-man (Busenius). Even if the players we traded away were our captains...which they weren't...expecting that it would torpedo the whole tam doesn't make sense. The trade made sense when it happened.

Hart is ranked by central scouting, McVeigh is not. AND, Hart was one of the few people willing to go to the net with any consistency in the second half. And no matter how much I dislike Busenius' play, I'd still take him over Hodder.

The new players had better stats after the trade (when we sucked) than the guys they replaced did in the first half when we were playing awesome.

The rest of the talent was still on the team after the trade.

Everyone says that team Chemistry changed as the explanation as to why everyone else on the team forgot how to score in the second half.

When he made the trade, the GM had to believe that his coaches were capable of refocusing the players and effectively using the new, improved talent to find new chemistry. It is the GM's job to get the talent. It is the coaches' job to manage the talent and set the lines.

If the coaches had adjusted to the change effectively, then the head coach would not have been fired and you wouldn't be able to slag Bruno for the trade (and the second half collapse wouldn't have happened either). This fall a new coach will start fresh and we'll see how everyone fits in to his new system.

As far as goaltending goes, we are overflowing with talent but short on experience...which they will only get by playing. If we cannot find an effective tandem from among Zentner, Parenteau, McBride and Desautels then we will have hired the wrong "new coach".

As far as other "key pieces" go, much has been made here of McNeill's inconsistency, Bardero was invisible most nights in the second half, and Vandane is eminently replaceable. We have the talent to replace the scoring that is leaving.

Basically we need a solution for the Ruopp hole. To do so, we HAVE to have a balanced defense that, overall, is more solid than we were last year on the 2nd and 3rd line. Bruno needs to bring in 2 20yo stay at home d-men to anchor them and solidify things.

At this point, the defense-corp is where next year's team will stand or fall.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote: "As far as goaltending goes, we are overflowing with talent but short on experience...which they will only get by playing. If we cannot find an effective tandem from among Zentner, Parenteau, McBride and Desautels then we will have hired the wrong "new coach". "

So automatically you conclude it would be the fault of the new coach! Maybe, just maybe, Campese didn't develop the right talent. We already know he hired the wrong coach for the last season and a half, but that seems to have gone unnoticed by you.

The rest of your rebuttal makes reasonable sense. I just don't hold the optimism that you have for next season. For sake of PA fans, I hope I'm wrong.

As for your glasses Kev, maybe you should go to the optometrist and check to see if you aren't green/red blind!

Wapitikev
05-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote: "As far as goaltending goes, we are overflowing with talent but short on experience...which they will only get by playing. If we cannot find an effective tandem from among Zentner, Parenteau, McBride and Desautels then we will have hired the wrong "new coach". "

So automatically you conclude it would be the fault of the new coach! Maybe, just maybe, Campese didn't develop the right talent. We already know he hired the wrong coach for the last season and a half, but that seems to have gone unnoticed by you.

The rest of your rebuttal makes reasonable sense. I just don't hold the optimism that you have for next season. For sake of PA fans, I hope I'm wrong.

As for your glasses Kev, maybe you should go to the optometrist and check to see if you aren't green/red blind!I just said, two posts ago, that that Bruno hasn't found a successful coach since he became GM and if he doesn't get a successful coach this next time, that the board is likely to release him...how is that "me not noticing"?

Here's the quote:

...although, having said that, the coach that Bruno just fired had the best record of any Raider coach (0.562) in the last 9 years.

And, if you argue that the coach wasn't good enough (because he was fired), then the players must have been better than average (or above par in RB-speak) to earn a him a winning record.

How can you suggest that the team has not developed the right talent, particularly in net?

By the estimation of everyone on this board, Parenteau (2011 Draft) could have made the team out of camp last year. Imho, McBride (2012 Draft) was better than Parenteau. This past year, Zentner (2010 Draft) didn't have a GAA over 2. EVER. Regular season(1.80), playoffs(1.93) Telus Cup(1.65)...all under 2...and he played his best goal facing the best midget scorers in Canada. Did I mention he has two consecutive Telus Cup championships? (last year he was the backup on the winning team)

How much better do you want the goaltending prospects to be?

I'd rather have optimism, tempered by reality than your blind pessimism, Mr. "the Raiders will miss the playoffs next year"

How can you call yourself a Believer in the Raiders with an attitude like that?

Seems to me, I believe in them a lot more than you do.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I just said, two posts ago, that that Bruno hasn't found a successful coach since he became GM and if he doesn't get a successful coach this next time, that the board is likely to release him...how is that "me not noticing"?

Here's the quote:

...although, having said that, the coach that Bruno just fired had the best record of any Raider coach (0.562) in the last 9 years.

And, if you argue that the coach wasn't good enough (because he was fired), then the players must have been better than average (or above par in RB-speak) to earn a him a winning record.

How can you suggest that the team has not developed the right talent, particularly in net?

By the estimation of everyone on this board, Parenteau (2011 Draft) could have made the team out of camp last year. Imho, McBride (2012 Draft) was better than Parenteau. This past year, Zentner (2010 Draft) didn't have a GAA over 2. EVER. Regular season(1.80), playoffs(1.93) Telus Cup(1.65)...all under 2...and he played his best goal facing the best midget scorers in Canada. Did I mention he has two consecutive Telus Cup championships? (last year he was the backup on the winning team)

How much better do you want the goaltending prospects to be?

I'd rather have optimism, tempered by reality than your blind pessimism, Mr. "the Raiders will miss the playoffs next year"

How can you call yourself a Believer in the Raiders with an attitude like that?

Seems to me, I believe in them a lot more than you do.

-Wapitikev

Firstly, being a great puck stopper in midget hockey doesn't mean a thing unless the goalie(s) can make the leap to major junior. This still has to be determined. I would have liked to see more experience between the pipes for next season.

Secondly, Young with a .562 winning percentage being the best of any PA coach in 9 years is a sad commentary on PA's record in almost a decade!

Wapitikev, I respect your optimism and I respect you as a fan, you follow the team very closely. BUT sir, you have never tempered your enthusiastic and unwavering support of Mr. Campese with reality. Sometimes I think you forget that this team is the Prince Albert Raiders, not the Bruno Campese Raiders. And before you charge up your computer for a long attack on my negative attitude about Bruno, remember 2 things. 1. Bruno's record for wins and losses as coach and GM is not great. and 2. I really don't like the guy, I know him personally and have a very poor opinion of him. I truly don't believe the Raiders will ever be successful on the ice as long as he is involved.

Wapitikev
05-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Firstly, being a great puck stopper in midget hockey doesn't mean a thing unless the goalie(s) can make the leap to major junior. This still has to be determined. I would have liked to see more experience between the pipes for next season.

Secondly, Young with a .562 winning percentage being the best of any PA coach in 9 years is a sad commentary on PA's record in almost a decade!

Wapitikev, I respect your optimism and I respect you as a fan, you follow the team very closely. BUT sir, you have never tempered your enthusiastic and unwavering support of Mr. Campese with reality. Sometimes I think you forget that this team is the Prince Albert Raiders, not the Bruno Campese Raiders. And before you charge up your computer for a long attack on my negative attitude about Bruno, remember 2 things. 1. Bruno's record for wins and losses as coach and GM is not great. and 2. I really don't like the guy, I know him personally and have a very poor opinion of him. I truly don't believe the Raiders will ever be successful on the ice as long as he is involved.I agree, talent does not equal WHL experience...and said as much a couple posts back. But unless we are going to keep trading for a 20yo starting goaltender every year, we are eventually going to have to accept a season where we don't have "more experience between the pipes". And PA hasn't had a crop of talented goalie candidates this good in well over a decade...thanks to Bruno. If the new coach is any good, I believe that one (or more) of those rookies will be successful this season.

I agree...the stat I threw out is a sad commentary on the GMs we've (not) had, not to mention the coaches and the talent that those GMs have brought to the team...last year's regular season record was the 2nd best in 17 years and we still fired our coach!

But consider this: if the Raiders can get 72 points this season (in 2013/2014), it will be the first time that the Raiders have had 2 consecutive seasons over 500, in 18 years (94/95 and 95/96).

In other words, if Bruno can get the right coach and that coach can get the talent on this club to work together to get only 72 points, Bruno will have accomplished something that no other Raiders GM has accomplished in a generation.

...whether you like him or not.

That's not what I believe...that's a fact.

Now do you understand why the board has not fired him yet?

And if Bruno does that, after building the team from nothing 5 years ago, how likely will the board be to fire him next spring?

Now, as far as the strength of my support for Mr. Campese goes, you'd think that I am suggesting he be named GM for life...THAT would be "unwavering support."

If suggesting that Bruno will likely be fired by the Board, if he doesn't find the right coach, is NOT tempering my support with reality, then I really don't know what is.

I respect you for letting us know why you feel the way you do, though, RB.

One more season will pretty much settle the issue of Mr. Campese's success, for the majority of fans, one way or the other. He'll either have accomplished something no other GM was able to do in 18 years or he'll still be trying to distinguish himself from the rest.

Given all the things I've said about the state of the team for the upcoming season, I believe the former is more likely than the latter.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
05-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Kev... you sure like grasping at straws eh ......
Having highly rated midget goalie prospects is nothing new for the raiders. Neither is not giving them a chance and trading for a older vet (butler zemlak tucker Siemans..... All your hero Brunos moves)

Fact is Bruno camper hasn't done enough to keep his job. Fact is there isnt a large amount of people knocking on the door to come to pa.

What did he ever do to deserve such blind love and devotion from you. Please keep the response short and to the point.

Raider Fan
05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Any thoughts on the new head coach or what the roster might look like next season. Forward Lines, D Corps, Goalie Tandem.

Raider Fan

Raider Believer
05-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I agree, talent does not equal WHL experience...and said as much a couple posts back. But unless we are going to keep trading for a 20yo starting goaltender every year, we are eventually going to have to accept a season where we don't have "more experience between the pipes". And PA hasn't had a crop of talented goalie candidates this good in well over a decade...thanks to Bruno. If the new coach is any good, I believe that one (or more) of those rookies will be successful this season.

I agree...the stat I threw out is a sad commentary on the GMs we've (not) had, not to mention the coaches and the talent that those GMs have brought to the team...last year's regular season record was the 2nd best in 17 years and we still fired our coach!

But consider this: if the Raiders can get 72 points this season (in 2013/2014), it will be the first time that the Raiders have had 2 consecutive seasons over 500, in 18 years (94/95 and 95/96).

In other words, if Bruno can get the right coach and that coach can get the talent on this club to work together to get only 72 points, Bruno will have accomplished something that no other Raiders GM has accomplished in a generation.

...whether you like him or not.

That's not what I believe...that's a fact.

Now do you understand why the board has not fired him yet?

And if Bruno does that, after building the team from nothing 5 years ago, how likely will the board be to fire him next spring?

Now, as far as the strength of my support for Mr. Campese goes, you'd think that I am suggesting he be named GM for life...THAT would be "unwavering support."

If suggesting that Bruno will likely be fired by the Board, if he doesn't find the right coach, is NOT tempering my support with reality, then I really don't know what is.

I respect you for letting us know why you feel the way you do, though, RB.

One more season will pretty much settle the issue of Mr. Campese's success, for the majority of fans, one way or the other. He'll either have accomplished something no other GM was able to do in 18 years or he'll still be trying to distinguish himself from the rest.

Given all the things I've said about the state of the team for the upcoming season, I believe the former is more likely than the latter.

-Wapitikev

Just how low can we lower the bar! Two consecutive seasons of over .500 hockey in a row and we should be celebrating and rewarding a GM with a new contract? Wow! What we should be looking at is where Portland and Edmonton are now .... oh yes, they're fighting for the WHL Championship. Their 5 year plans seem to have worked! Bruno's didn't!

How about Jessie Wallin the former Red Deer Head Coach? He's a players coach and brings a lot of passion. Only problem I see with that is he's accustomed to following the instructions of his GM too much (Sutter) and we all know how far that got our last coach.

Trav
05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Just how low can we lower the bar! Two consecutive seasons of over .500 hockey in a row and we should be celebrating and rewarding a GM with a new contract? Wow! What we should be looking at is where Portland and Edmonton are now .... oh yes, they're fighting for the WHL Championship. Their 5 year plans seem to have worked! Bruno's didn't!

How about Jessie Wallin the former Red Deer Head Coach? He's a players coach and brings a lot of passion. Only problem I see with that is he's accustomed to following the instructions of his GM too much (Sutter) and we all know how far that got our last coach.

I guess some people up there are satisfied with just over .500 hockey (or 72 points) and a first round exit. It's pretty much the opposite down here in Saskatoon. The Blades have done well in regular season but choke in the playoffs and people want Molleken gone, me being one of them.

I think both teams would benefit with a complete change in management. Your Raiders were doing so well in the first half of the season, then that trade with Medicine Hat was made and the second half went bad. Dunno if it was the trade but something sure happened there that caused the downfall.

Wapitikev
05-05-2013, 05:07 PM

How about Jessie Wallin the former Red Deer Head Coach? He's a players coach and brings a lot of passion. Only problem I see with that is he's accustomed to following the instructions of his GM too much (Sutter) and we all know how far that got our last coach.Comparing PA to Portland and Edmonton is ridiculous.

Portland broke recruiting rules all over the place and Edmonton had an expansion draft that filled their pipeline with talent...Bruno started with nothing in the pipeline and had to follow the rules. He also had to follow a far smaller budget (which means fewer staff and scouts) than either of those other two because we have less than 10% of the population, far fewer corporate sponsors, and a far smaller rink.

So, why is Bruno taking so long: Less dollars, less talent at the start of the 5 years and not cheating.

Why didn't our 5-year plan include an expansion draft, and a community with another few hundred thousand people, and an existing huge arena? Why didn't we break as many recruiting rules as we want?

Bruno should be fired for not including any of that! :cool:

Yes, 2 consecutive seasons over 500 in 18 years is piss poor from an organizational standpoint. But why show the door to the guy who could finally get us there? If he pulls that off in 13/14, then he can try for 72 (or more) in 14/15. If that happens, it would be the first time since 90-91-92 (23 years). It would also be best 3-season streak since the incredible 8 season run (84-92) that the team enjoyed after joining the league in 83.

Now that Bruno DOES have talent in the pipeline, any contract extension would have to have the expectation that forward progress must continue...if momentum stops, then we are still in a better spot than we were 5 years ago, for the next person to try to get us further.

I'd love to see Jesse Wallin as the next coach but I suspect he will not come here. I've heard he has prospects outside of Hockey that will allow him to let his young family stay in Red Deer.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Kev... you sure like grasping at straws eh ......
Having highly rated midget goalie prospects is nothing new for the raiders. Neither is not giving them a chance and trading for a older vet (butler zemlak tucker Siemans..... All your hero Brunos moves)

Fact is Bruno camper hasn't done enough to keep his job. Fact is there isnt a large amount of people knocking on the door to come to pa.

What did he ever do to deserve such blind love and devotion from you. Please keep the response short and to the point.Stats are stats, Dwight...you give very little evidence (straws) to support your "facts"...and calling my arguments "straws" does not make your own, unspoken reasons behind your "facts" any more valid.

None of the goalie trades you mention had multiple top prospects trying out for the job that same fall, so unless Bruno trades all three prospects away this fall, then your claim that this fall's situation is "nothing new" is patently wrong.

As far as why I'm supporting Bruno, I'm not going to re-type my last week's worth of posts...read them again, for the first time, and you'll know.

In the meantime, I have a question for you (and RB):

How many back to back 500+ seasons does Bruno need to put up for you to get off his back?

You keep on smiling to, Dwight. :)

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-05-2013, 05:52 PM
I guess some people up there are satisfied with just over .500 hockey (or 72 points) and a first round exit. It's pretty much the opposite down here in Saskatoon. The Blades have done well in regular season but choke in the playoffs and people want Molleken gone, me being one of them.

I think both teams would benefit with a complete change in management. Your Raiders were doing so well in the first half of the season, then that trade with Medicine Hat was made and the second half went bad. Dunno if it was the trade but something sure happened there that caused the downfall.Hey, Trav...Molleken has been there long enough to prove whether he is capable of coaching in the playoffs.

Bruno only started drafting in 2008, so last season was the first time that the roster had a majority of players that he had picked for the team...and we had our best season in 9 years...sad but true.

Too bad we had the wrong coach to go anywhere in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

I do look forward to having a power-play that isn't worst in the league when we play our next playoff game, next spring, though.

-Wapitikev

Trav
05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Hey, Trav...Molleken has been there long enough to prove whether he is capable of coaching in the playoffs.

Bruno only started drafting in 2008, so last season was the first time that the roster had a majority of players that he had picked for the team...and we had our best season in 9 years...sad but true.

Too bad we had the wrong coach to go anywhere in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

I do look forward to having a power-play that isn't worst in the league when we play our next playoff game, next spring, though.

-Wapitikev

THe Raiders may have had their best season in years but still if I was a Raider fan I wouldn't be to thrilled about the season they had. I can understand why some don't like Campese.

Next year I dunno who you guys have coming in but it's going to be tough replacing Bardaro and MacNeil. Hopefully Winther goes back to being a 30 goal guy like he was when he was 17.

I don't think Steve Young is a bad coach, he did well in Moose Jaw.

Sttop
05-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Nothing less then a banner in the building should be acceptable. praising a guy because he possibly could have 2 seasons over .500 is retarded. I don't even know if blaming Bruno over last year was right. The pieces were in place. Mcniell, Ruopp, Morrissey, Winther, Draisaitl , Bardaro, Siemens and Hart should have been enough to build a winner around. But I am skeptical that Bruno didn't upgrade a 20 year old and find another high quality defensemen for the run. trying to hold on to his picks

Wapitikev
05-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Nothing less then a banner in the building should be acceptable. praising a guy because he possibly could have 2 seasons over .500 is retarded. I don't even know if blaming Bruno over last year was right. The pieces were in place. Mcniell, Ruopp, Morrissey, Winther, Draisaitl , Bardaro, Siemens and Hart should have been enough to build a winner around. But I am skeptical that Bruno didn't upgrade a 20 year old and find another high quality defensemen for the run. trying to hold on to his picksSo that banner should be next year, or is it acceptable to keep building towards it? Not sure on the timeframe you want it in. They give a banner for the East Conference champs, right? When's the last time that happened for the Raiders?

Vandane definitely was not the 20yo I wanted to replace Corbin (who also wasn't the 20yo I wanted).

Bardero could have been the 20yo we needed but instead of being a leader after X-mas he went to sleep.

And I've posted, more than once, that the Busenius trade still makes no sense to me (other than we upgraded Hodder)...we needed another Ruopp and acquired another Corbin.

I know that a hard booming shot from the point on the powerplay makes some people orgasmic but it always made more sense to me that defensemen should be able to keep the other team from scoring FIRST and should worry about a cannon from the point second.

Lets hope that this year, now that we have more offensive defensemen than we can reasonably use (Morrissey, Busenius, Ghule, Lange), that Bruno focuses on acquiring 2 defensemen who can play defense...otherwise our rookie goalies will have no confidence left by the end of the season.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-05-2013, 09:07 PM
So, the PA Raiders last won a banner (conference) in 1985, the year they won the Mem Cup.

If that's what is considered the minimum standard for competence for a GM, that's setting the bar pretty darn high...most GMs are considered successful if they achieve the playoffs successfully more than 5 years out of ten and flirt with a banner approx. 3 times in a decade.

For example, Brandon has a population a bit higher than PA. They made the playoffs 12 years running prior to this year. If memory serves, McCrimmon was their GM for all of that. During that time they made it to the conference championship 5 times. They won a Conference Banner only once (losing in the league championship that year).

So, because they only have one banner, McCrimmon is a barely competent GM?

Not sure how long Molleken has been GM but the Blades have made the playoffs 8 times in the last 13 years . They have never made it past the 2nd round in ANY of those 8 years. So, by the "banner standard", Molleken is not a competent GM?

Bruno has stated that a League Championship is his long term goal.

A necessary step on that road is making the playoffs regularly. I expect that the team he continues to build will make the playoffs regularly starting last year...and I'm pretty sure that is the expectation of the Board going forward, as well.

That will mean an average of 74 points a year (average of 8th place in the WHL East for the last 7 years) and will likely take more than 80 points next spring (it is an up-year).

Now...off to answer Raider Fan's question about the team this fall.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
You keep on smiling to, Dwight. :)

-Wapitikev

Keep on posting kev....
you only repeat long winded essays professing your undying love for mr campese. I find them amusing originally I thought your posts were sarcastic. Now I just think you have too much time on your hands. While I respect and commend your enthusiasm. it's gotten old

Wapitikev
05-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Keep on posting kev....
you only repeat long winded essays professing your undying love for mr campese. I find them amusing originally I thought your posts were sarcastic. Now I just think you have too much time on your hands. While I respect and commend your enthusiasm. it's gotten oldI will wear your dissatisfaction as a badge of honour, Dwight. :)

So, you still haven't told us what you'll need BC to accomplish for you to stop calling for his release...

10 consecutive Mem Cups? Peace in the middle east?

Let us know.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Nothing less then a banner in the building should be acceptable...With a bit of research and a few questions I've discovered that there is still a banner for the Division Champion (based on regular season results).

Would that be sufficient, Sttop?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Any thoughts on the new head coach or what the roster might look like next season. Forward Lines, D Corps, Goalie Tandem.

Raider FanI gave my wish-list for the new coach back in post 24...the new guy will need to be respected for his previous record, coming in, and that's going to make the list a short one (and perhaps the $$$ high). Jesse Wallin is on my (and RB's) wish-list but I don't think he's coming.

As far as the lines go, that's a tough one without knowing the coach...and we don't know what position our second Euro is going to play...so based solely on past performance, here's possible lines for the preseason:

Forwards:
Winther/Draisaitl/Hart
Conroy/Perreaux/*
Braid/Danyluk/Gardiner
Quinney/* OR List-magic/Gennaro

*=unacquired 20yo or Euro

Utility forwards: Vanstone

Unknowns: Does Yaremchuk make the team?, list-magic?, Stewart/Mahura/Meyer do not make it out of camp, I assume Daae will not be here as a 20yo and that Knutsen will not be either the second Euro or a 20yo...but is the other Euro a forward?

Defense:
Morrissey/unacquired 20yo
Lange/Busenius OR unacquired 20yo
Guhle/Verrall

Utility D-men: Guenther, Douglas

Unknowns: if the team keeps Busenius then we need at least one extremely solid 20yo D-man...if we can find 2 that are better than Bus then so be it, list-magic?, (one of) Burr's shoulder(s) will likely keep him from making the team, Morden/Dea/Finnson/Odeline/Stewart do not make it out of camp, is the other Euro a d-man?

Goal: Rylan Parenteau, Matt Zentner

Unknowns: assumes they do not rush McBride and let him wait until next year (he and Kryski can both join at the same time). If McBride is the backup, then Zentner will be traded.

...the new coach will likely tear everything down and make everyone compete for their spot, so things could look very different than above.

Plus, will we trade a top 3 forward to get a top-2 d-man? I'd hate to see any of them go, but we're going to need a far better defense than last season if we tandem 2 rookie goalies.

Looking forward to seeing the rookies, and maybe a new coach, at summer camp at the end of the month.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
...and when I say unacquired 20yo d-man I mean shutdown-d-man.

-Wapitikev

HockeyGuru
05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
No Douglas or Odelein on PPL list anymore.

Zentner slated to join melfort Mustangs or AJ team,not signed probably won't report like last fall.

Make or break for Yaremchuk as he has told everyone if he doesn't make Raiders he is heading to Flin Flon.If anyone thinks Verrall is a WHL player besides his dad and Dale ..they will be disapointed.Money can only get you so far unless maybe his dad buys a bus or a new weight room???

Wapitikev
05-07-2013, 11:47 PM
No Douglas or Odelein on PPL list anymore.

Zentner slated to join melfort Mustangs or AJ team,not signed probably won't report like last fall.

Make or break for Yaremchuk as he has told everyone if he doesn't make Raiders he is heading to Flin Flon.If anyone thinks Verrall is a WHL player besides his dad and Dale ..they will be disapointed.Money can only get you so far unless maybe his dad buys a bus or a new weight room???I Don't have access to the list, HG, so thanx for the updates...Sttop will be disappointed about Douglas...he thought (in post #8) that ZD had a shot this season.

So is Zentner going NCAA?

I'd like to see Yaremchuk make it, but the team is fairly deep on the front end and he's a little small to play checking line...he'll have to work his butt off.

Could Verrall be defensively worse than Morden, Vandane or Busenius? He looked better than that at camp last year. Not sure if he'll be at Summer Camp at the end of the month (recovering from the broken femur). Hope he proves you wrong.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
...Zentner slated to join melfort Mustangs or AJ team,not signed probably won't report like last fall...This morning's article (http://www.panow.com/node/340282) on PANow:

“I’m going to take any opportunity that I’m given. I’ll train as hard as I can this summer -- mental preparation, physical preparation, all of it counts.” - Matt Zentner

...either he's lying, has been misquoted, or he's reporting to Raiders camp.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Raiders announce the signing of contracts with Campese and Derkatch - 2 years with an option on the third.

Story here (http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/raiders-re-sign-campese-and-derkatch).

Cue the howling from the usual suspects.

-Wapitikev

clockwise
05-17-2013, 12:15 AM
If you don't know, Wapitikev is on the Raiders payroll. So you can understand all the love and support for his employer.

Raider Believer
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Raiders announce the signing of contracts with Campese and Derkatch - 2 years with an option on the third.

Story here (http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/raiders-re-sign-campese-and-derkatch).

Cue the howling from the usual suspects.

-Wapitikev

Quite the opposite Kev. (I'm assuming I am one of the usual suspects :) ) As I said in the other thread announcing the signing, congratulations to both gentlemen for achieving their new contracts. They have had some measurable successes and clearly have the confidence of the Raider BOD. I hope that the team has the kind of success that justifies the contracts and the confidence of their supporters.

Wapitikev
05-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Quite the opposite Kev. (I'm assuming I am one of the usual suspects :) ) As I said in the other thread announcing the signing, congratulations to both gentlemen for achieving their new contracts. They have had some measurable successes and clearly have the confidence of the Raider BOD. I hope that the team has the kind of success that justifies the contracts and the confidence of their supporters.Hey, RB.

Very gracious, your comments. Pretty sure that expectations for the next 2 years are far higher than the last two.

Remember my prediction that the Raiders will get 80 points again this year which will likely qualify them for 8th?

Look around the Division...we could get 80 points and be second cede in the first round of the playoffs.

Just sayin.

All we need is 2 stay-at-home d-men (or 2 shutdown d-men while I'm wishing) and a Euro that is better than Knutsen.

...and a successful coach.

...no problem.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
If you don't know, Wapitikev is on the Raiders payroll. So you can understand all the love and support for his employer.

I think this is very unlikely Clockwise. Wapitikev is way too hockey savy to be employed by the Raiders! :D

I think I've just created a little conundrum for my friend Kev :p

Wapitikev
05-18-2013, 02:35 AM
A backhanded comment if I ever heard one, RB. :)

It's been 17 months since the last time someone floated this air biscuit and nothing has changed since then.

"I am not on the Raider Board of Directors, nor am I a Raider manager, nor a Raider employee. I am a private business-person, and a Raider season ticket holder." -Wapitikev, December 13, 2011.

I pay for my season ticket like everyone else on this board who chooses to disagree with me (at least I assume that they do...otherwise what right do they have to complain about the team?).

I pay to attend the annual Raider golf tournament. I pay for all the merchandise I collect from the store. And I pay for what I win during the jersey-auctions.

And another thing I pay is attention...to where the team was in 2008/2009 and to where we are now.

And to everything that happened in between.

But, what if I was an employee of the Raiders, or even a volunteer for them? What possible difference would that make? Would it mean that I am not a true Raiders fan? Does an employee cheer more loudly that someone else when the team scores? Does an employee hate losses less than someone else?

Would it mean that the team or player stats from the WHL website that I use in my arguments are any less accurate? Does it make the financial facts or attendance figures, reported by the press, untrue?

Suggesting that someone has a bias, instead of numerous reasons for their opinions, is always a convenient crutch for people to try when they don't like what someone has to say...because trying to smear someone is always easier than presenting evidence to support your own opinion.

It is the coward's way to try and win an argument.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-19-2013, 09:44 AM
A while back, July 26th of last year, to be precise, WHS said of Reid Gardiner that he could be a "possible generational talent"

At the time , I thought this was pushing it a bit...so let's consider his performance this season:
Games: 54
Goals: 7
Assist: 13
+/-: +13
PIM: 28

On a team that was considered (on another part of this board) to be offensively deep, Gardiner was buried on the 3rd and 4th lines for the vast majority of the year with little powerplay time. And then there was the second half collapse, where every forward but Draisaitl, Hart, and Perreaux had significant fall-offs.

So how can we judge his success or failure this season? One way is to compare him to some NHL draft picks from his own team.

Mike Winther's rookie season:
Games: 61
Goals: 9
Assist: 1
+/-: -11
PIM: 18

Mark McNeill's rookie season:
Games: 68
Goals: 9
Assist: 15
+/-: -10
PIM: 27

At less than Winther's current size, Gardiner's stats resemble McNeil's more than they do Winther's despite playing fewer games than both of them. In fact, Gardiners points until Dec 31 were the same as McNeill's first year, in the same span.

Gardiner also appears more defensively sound than either of the other 2 were ...Gardiner was one of only 4 forwards that were plus after Jan 1 (Shane Danyluk was -12 by comparison). Some of that could be due to a better goalie behind him and time against weaker opposing lines than McNeill or Winther had to contend with.

McNeill spent his second season on the 1st line with Johnathan Parker crashing the net all year. Winther had 1st and 2nd line minutes in his sophomore season, regularly paired with Justin Maylan who fed him the puck constantly.

This fall, on a deeper offensive team, with Draisiatl, Winther, Conroy, Hart, and perhaps a 2nd Euro and even Perreaux (who is bigger and had a great 2nd half) vying with him on the depth chart for the top 6 spots, Reid will likely see regular time on the 2nd and 3rd line.

Both McNeill and Winther had WHL career seasons in their second full year. That's likely not going to be the case for Reid.

To get a star linemate, like McNeill and Winther had, next season, Reid must get stronger, taller (he grew about an inch last season and is now 5'11"), and play lights out this fall to make the 2nd line regularly and thereby get the points he'll need to have a hope of going in the first 2 rounds of the 2014 NHL draft.

If he CAN stay on the 2nd line for most of next year, Reid has a chance to match McNeill's 2nd-season numbers...numbers that McNeill achieved on the 1ST line...numbers that McNeill never matched after that.

And I believe he has the heart to make that happen.

A second line of Conroy, Perreaux, Gardiner would be fun to watch...and that's assuming the incoming 2nd Euro or a late-pickup 20yo doesn't play on the 2nd line with Gardiner.

Generational talent?

Maybe not, but he's going to be very good for the next 3 years, after which he will go to the AHL.

If our squad is too deep to allow him to crack the top 6, then he's likely to have his best year as a 18 or 19yo, instead of next year, though.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Trivia Question:

Which 3 forwards had MORE points after Jan 1 than they did before that?

Hint: one is from Germany and another arrived in a trade on Dec 31st.

Who does that leave?

Answer: Carson Perreaux.

Yup, the 17yo list-magic player Bruno/Dale picked up in 11/12 for nothing was the ONLY player from last year's team that improved in the second 1/2.

In fact, once you pro-rate Hart's points on a per-game basis (because he didn't play a full first half) Perreaux had the 2nd best % increase after Jan 1. He was also one of only 4 "plus" players in that span...which we all know Hart wasn't.

Ranked 179th by central scouting in January 13th of this year, this 6'2" Left-shooting Center came on strong with 13 points from the 2nd and (mostly) 3rd line after Jan 1; outplaying fellow draft prospect Chance Braid and having a career month in February.

As a 19yo, he is primed to compete with players like Gardiner, Conroy, the new Euro and possibly a late-pickup 20yo for 2nd line duty, this season.

If he remains on the 3rd Line, he could easily lead it in scoring.

If he can bring his playing weight up to 190lbs this fall (listed last season as 183) he will be a welcome physical presence as well as a scoring threat for whatever line he lands on.

Excellent (hard) work, Carson!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Bruno Campese should be receiving a bunch of thank-you cards next week.

By choosing a D-man in the Import draft, he has reduced the competition for forwards to a plethora of young players and a possible 20yo pick-up.

And for a 20 forward to fit into our top 2 lines, he'll have to be pretty damn good.

I'm just sayin'

Assuming they survive any trade carnage, here's hoping that, at some point this year, Gardiner can land first line minutes, Perreaux can land second line duty and Yaremchuk can play his way onto the 3rd line with Danyluk.

And thanks to Austin Dae for the journeyman duty last season...it was announced (on the Radio) today that he was released by the Raiders.

-Wapitikev

Wildeyes
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Small thoughts at large has complied the new 50 player list for the Raiders

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/2013/07/2013-14-prospects-prince-albert.html

any thoughts ?

chalk_one_up
07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Spencer Meyer is defense now?

Sttop
07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Just had a look at the list and I don't see many spots open for kids hoping to crack the line up. A quick depth chart just to show what I mean.

Winther - Draisaitl - Gardiner
Perreaux - Danyluk - Hart
Braid - Conroy - Yaremchuk
Mahura - Gennero - Quinney

Dylan Stewart ,Meyer , Knowler,
Welykholowa

Morrissey - Morden
Busenius - Lange
Guhle - Andrlik
Guenther, Finnson , Big Mac

Parentau
Zentner
Mcbride

There will be great competition at all positions this year and should be a very interesting camp

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Just had a look at the list and I don't see many spots open for kids hoping to crack the line up. A quick depth chart just to show what I mean.

Winther - Draisaitl - Gardiner
Perreaux - Danyluk - Hart
Braid - Conroy - Yaremchuk
Mahura - Gennero - Quinney

Dylan Stewart ,Meyer , Knowler,
Welykholowa

Morrissey - Morden
Busenius - Lange
Guhle - Andrlik
Guenther, Finnson , Big Mac

Parentau
Zentner
Mcbride

There will be great competition at all positions this year and should be a very interesting campTotally agree (it was bound to happen sooner or later).:cool:

Goalies just got tougher for the three you listed, as well.

On a side note, enjoyed the grit that Joey Santucci brought to the team...I understand the move but I'm sorry to see him go.

-Wapitikev