PDA

View Full Version : 2013 WHL Bantam Draft

HURRICANE'S ROCK
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Only a few more days until the 2013 Bantam draft goes down. First a couple of comments about past drafts and then onto this year’s draft.

#1 I hope whoever the Canes select in the 6th spot this year does not get shipped out when he is 17 for a third line banger and a middling draft pick!

#2 For all the abuse Preston took from we armchair GM’s, he has kept all, and then some, of the Hurricane’s draft picks for the next 2 years. RP could have dumped a lot of the 2013 and 2014 picks we still retain for a couple of rental players and probably easily have made the playoffs, thereby saving his job. Preston has left the Canes with a very deep current and future talent pool. Just too bad he didn’t have a bloody clue how to coach and motivate young kids.

These are the draft picks the Canes have for the next 2 years, listed by the number of picks in each round of the draft. We have at least 1 pick in every round for the next 2 years. Counting both Lethbridge's 2013 and 2014 picks we have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds and 10 picks in the first in the first 4 rounds. (As an aside, I smell a few trades, or 1 big trade happening in the next couple of days by our new GM)

2013 Lethbridge > 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 – Total 13
2014 Lethbridge > 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 – Total 12
Draft Picks 13-14> 2 3 3 2 3 3 2 2 3 2 – Total 25

I am not going to count all of the picks each team in the Dub has, but I am willing to bet only Brandon and Vancouver have more picks then the Canes do over the next 2 years. Thanks RP.

Mr Super Stat – Alan Caldwell – has a great list of every teams picks in each round: http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/

Bocephus
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Went up to Strathmore and saw some AB Cup games. Clague and Steel were very impressive. Throw in Benson and I could see those three AB kids going top three. They all looked dynamite.
Canes pick 6th. Likely to miss out on all three. Who do they take?
Howden, Patrick, Quennville, Fabbro, Aucoin, Anholt, Skinner (goaltender)?
I smell a trade. I suspect Robson will be quite active leading up to opening night.

here for the long run
04-29-2013, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=HURRICANE'S ROCK;190504]#2 For all the abuse Preston took from we armchair GM’s, he has kept all, and then some, of the Hurricane’s draft picks for the next 2 years. RP could have dumped a lot of the 2013 and 2014 picks we still retain for a couple of rental players and probably easily have made the playoffs, thereby saving his job. Preston has left the Canes with a very deep current and future talent pool. Just too bad he didn’t have a bloody clue how to coach and motivate young kids.

Well said. I will view Rich as a poor coach but a good GM and thankful he didn’t pull a Roy on us. This is a special opportunity for Brad to “tweak” this team into contention quick with the picks and players Rich left us.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Went up to Strathmore and saw some AB Cup games. Clague and Steel were very impressive. Throw in Benson and I could see those three AB kids going top three. They all looked dynamite.
I smell a trade. I suspect Robson will be quite active leading up to opening night.

Pat has a new interview on his blog with Robson. Our GM makes it seem like the top 4 picks in the draft are heads and tails above everyone else and there will be no movement of any of those 4 picks. (I'm paraphrasing)

I can only guess, but I would think those 4 picks are:

BENSON
STEEL
CLAGUE
PATRICK

They may not be chosen in that order, but those seem to be the top 4 standouts.

With the Canes picking at #6 it would seem we have a plethora of choices, but I wish we were in that top 4. Maybe we can get lucky and Brandon takes Howden and somehow one of those top 4 slides down to #6. It does not seem likely listening to Robson though.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I am quite interested in how Robson makes over this roster. He has a lot of pieces to work with. The armchair GM in me would like to see him focus on adding to our 95 and 96 age groups. Klimchuk for the 6th overall?

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I'll throw this name out there for a middle round pick. Mark Drohan, D from Calgary.

Bighat
04-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Klimchuck for the 6th highly doubt that. He would cost u your 1st, 2 nd and a player.

here for the long run
04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
@ HRock and Boceph - What are the best d-men at 6 in your opinion? I believe in building from the back end.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
@ HRock and Boceph - What are the best d-men at 6 in your opinion? I believe in building from the back end.
Clague is clearly the top dman. After that I really don't know. Quenneville and Fabbro seem to be getting the rest of the conversation. I haven't seen Fabbro so I can't offer an opinion.
If some scenario develops thet sees Steel drop to 6 I think the Canes can't pass him up and should thank the stars.
Should be some interesting developments on Thursday. Talk of PG swinging a trade that could change things. We'll see. Fun times as a fan.

Derek Sutton
04-30-2013, 10:18 PM

At 6 it could be anyone. I've heard there is a chance Steele might be available but I can't see it. Howden won't get past MJ, Patrick and Fabbro may go NCAA (or they are just trying to avoid PG). I really wouldn't mind seeing them trade down to a later pick in the first and pick up a second or third as well as the later rounds are very deep. Dropping from 6th to 12- 15 might actually see them picking a better WHLer, say McDonald over an undersized Quennville. I really think they can't lose no matter who they pick as long as they get a WHL committed player.

Derek Sutton
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM

A D man at 6 will be Fabbro or Quennville. Quennville to me, doesn't have the size, listed at 5'8"= 5"6" in reality. So I would take Fabbro as a D but I think they should be looking at forwards which I would say woul dbe a better gamble.

Derek Sutton
04-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Did you see anyone other then Robson, Matt K and Klinkhammer there (Strathmore) scouting for the Canes? I was only there ine day but that is all I saw. Med Hat had 12 scouts there and Regina had at least 8.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
http://westernelitehockeyprospects.com/news-by-region/alberta/whl-bantam-draft-thursday.html
Seems to be that all the uncertainty can be traced to the unattractiveness of PG. I've read at least three top players that are believed to have no interest in reporting to PG which would result in a trade or PG going off the board with their pick.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Did you see anyone other then Robson, Matt K and Klinkhammer there (Strathmore) scouting for the Canes? I was only there ine day but that is all I saw. Med Hat had 12 scouts there and Regina had at least 8.
I was there on a Saturday. Saw Rimmer there. I don't really know the names or faces of anyone else to say yes or no. Sorry. Plenty of representation from everyone it seemed.

Derek Sutton
04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Yep I also just read somewhere (WEHP/ or HF) that Quennville may not go either (to PG). His older Bro was drafted to PG and never returned for a second WHL camp and is headed NCAA. Don't know what PG will do, maybe try to get Barzal??? It doens't sound llike hes to keen on Seattle.....unless Seattle takes Fabbro then maybe they both go to Seattle.... Who the heck knows.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Yep I also just read somewhere (WEHP/ or HF) that Quennville may not go either (to PG). His older Bro was drafted to PG and never returned for a second WHL camp and is headed NCAA. Don't know what PG will do, maybe try to get Barzal??? It doens't sound llike hes to keen on Seattle.....unless Seattle takes Fabbro then maybe they both go to Seattle.... Who the heck knows.
Everyone seems to be down on Quenneville's height but he doesn't play like a little *****. He's fairly thick.
You mention the Barzal and Fabbro connection but is there not a connection with Estephan and Quenneville playing together with SSAC a season ago? That might be interesting to think about from a Canes perspective.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Klimchuck for the 6th highly doubt that. He would cost u your 1st, 2 nd and a player.
Klimchuk will be graduated by the time the Pats rebuild bears fruit. Keep him.

Derek Sutton
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Everyone seems to be down on Quenneville's height but he doesn't play like a little *****. He's fairly thick.
You mention the Barzal and Fabbro connection but is there not a connection with Estephan and Quenneville playing together with SSAC a season ago? That might be interesting to think about from a Canes perspective.

Yes there is the SSAC connection, I think last year Qville won top D man in AB as a first year player which is remarkable. I dont know if Qville can play that way against bigger/ stronger players. There dones't seem to be a lot of high end players with size in this draft so it may be a good reason to overlook the size factor as well.

Bocephus
04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
So many variables are in play with NCAA threats and past unreported high picks and franchises that are historically mismanaged that nothing seemed diffinitive at all. Mix in what seems to be MJ's Howden connection and predictions can be tossed out the window.
Barzal, Gropp, Alex Forsberg, Seattle, PG, ... Alot of moving parts. The only thing that seems to be a sure thing is Vancouver choosing Benson.
Whoever ends up with Clague is going to be a winner IMO. That kid is the real deal.

sbtatter
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
At 6 it could be anyone. I've heard there is a chance Steele might be available but I can't see it. Howden won't get past MJ, Patrick and Fabbro may go NCAA (or they are just trying to avoid PG). I really wouldn't mind seeing them trade down to a later pick in the first and pick up a second or third as well as the later rounds are very deep. Dropping from 6th to 12- 15 might actually see them picking a better WHLer, say McDonald over an undersized Quennville. I really think they can't lose no matter who they pick as long as they get a WHL committed player.

How big (small) is Quennville? His brother is huge, so there's hope the younger one may grow!

Bocephus
05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
How big (small) is Quennville? His brother is huge, so there's hope the younger one may grow!
http://www.rodpedersen.com/2013/05/2013-whl-mock-draft.html
Quenneville is listed at 5'8" and 170lbs according to this Pedersen link.

canes77
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
A lot of guys are at their peak height at 14-15 years old... but I just noticed...

Taking a quick glance at the 92's in the 2007 draft (since I have an old scouts list for that year)... Graham Hood was listed at 6'0, 160 lbs when he was drafted, Dan Johnston was 5'10, 167 lbs, Emerson Etem was 5'9, Adam Kambeitz was 5'8, and Brendan Gallagher was 5'3, 125 lbs!!

Rye
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Lethbridge trades for Corbin Boes to start off the draft.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Surprised, bewildered, dissapointed, not sure what to say really. I will let some Brandon fans have their say first. Before this mornings big trade some Wheaties fans were speculating on this very trade, but like me, they never thought it would happen. Here are some Brandon fans comments before the trade.

"What would it take to access Lethbridges #6 pick? TOO MUCH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE"

"Agreed, the Hurricanes will want too much to exchange picks with them--their 6 for our 17 plus assets."

"Can't see the Hurricanes giving up the #6 pick because all the talk is this could be one of the best drafts in a long time. Thus, the #6 pick could potentially be a franchise player. It would cost the WKings a boatload to make that move. Too much in my opinion."

I guess all those fans had it wrong. It hardly cost Brandon much at all in their scheme of things. That`s I all can say....for now! :confused:

shushu
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Surprised, bewildered, dissapointed, not sure what to say really. I will let some Brandon fans have their say first. Before this mornings big trade some Wheaties fans were speculating on this very trade, but like me, they never thought it would happen. Here are some Brandon fans comments before the trade.

"What would it take to access Lethbridges #6 pick? TOO MUCH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE"

"Agreed, the Hurricanes will want too much to exchange picks with them--their 6 for our 17 plus assets."

"Can't see the Hurricanes giving up the #6 pick because all the talk is this could be one of the best drafts in a long time. Thus, the #6 pick could potentially be a franchise player. It would cost the WKings a boatload to make that move. Too much in my opinion."

I guess all those fans had it wrong. It hardly cost Brandon much at all in their scheme of things. That`s I all can say....for now! :confused:

we get our # 1 goalie this year our #1 goalie of the future ( and the #1 goalie of the the draft ) without having to give up any players or pick down the road...like i said on the white board one player aint getting you to the mem cup, this allow us to have another solid draft next year without having to pay through the nose like we did for rimmer..

moon
05-02-2013, 03:38 PM
It looks like a fairly stupid, shortsighted trade but why expect anything to change when you fire one bozo and replace him with his assistant bozo.

Sure things could change but if things work out like people should expect them to right now that looks like a horrible, pointless trade.

shushu
05-02-2013, 03:49 PM
It looks like a fairly stupid, shortsighted trade but why expect anything to change when you fire one bozo and replace him with his assistant bozo.

Sure things could change but if things work out like people should expect them to right now that looks like a horrible, pointless trade.

that one player would make that much differance down the road, or i would make more sence to trade our 2nd and 3rd pick next year for a one year goalie we gave up the number one dman for the number one goalie.....like i said big deal...............

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
The Bantam draft is always a crapshoot (Jay Merkley ring a bell) but it seems Clague is as sure fire a bet as they come. Goalies in the Bantam draft are not just a crap shoot, they are a long shot at best.

I have to wonder if Robson knew Clague was still there at #6, does he make this deal without getting more from Brandon. Robson all along has said and I quote “the top 4 players in this draft are locked up tight and there will be no movement there etc.” He did not say which 4 players those were but the overwhelming consensus was, in no particular order; Benson, Steel, Clague and Patrick. After those top 4 there was a bit of a drop off, so Robson assumed at #6 we would get a really good player, but not a great player. With that reasoning this trade makes a bit more sense. I think if he knew Clague was there for the taking at #6, this deal does not get made unless we get quite a bit more from the Wheaties!

Robson said the deal was done yesterday. Another thought I have is was it not possible to make a tentative deal that sees this trade go down only after the Canes see who is available at #6. I am sure that was part of the discussion, but Kelly M (being the master trader he seems to be) probably said yesterday to Robson, take it or leave now or no deal. If you don’t think scenarios like this occur, you have never been in a real horse trade.

Let’s hope Boes has a stellar year, the Canes finish about mid pack in the East in 2013-14 and Skinner turns out to be an All-star goaltender. If so, then it really does not matter how good Clague is.

Western Elite
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Your GM did very well today. Be proud!

SectionNDeserter
05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
that one player would make that much differance down the road, or i would make more sence to trade our 2nd and 3rd pick next year for a one year goalie we gave up the number one dman for the number one goalie.....like i said big deal...............He is an average goaltender, but has a lot of experience. If I am a Lethbridge fan, I would be hoping for a little more of a return, but as a Red Deer fan, I do see the point of moving down a little in the draft. If you pick a top-5 'phenom' player (like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for example) between international tournaments and such, realistically there is a good chance that you get a season and a half out of them before they are drafted and are off to the NHL.

The trade value for an average overage goaltender is extremely low, and they are often picked up in the offseason for a 5th or 6th round pick, but could end up looking pretty good if he thrives in Lethbridge like Rimmer did last season.

Western Elite
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
What are you talking about? lol

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
He is an average goaltender, but has a lot of experience. If I am a Lethbridge fan, I would be hoping for a little more of a return..

I think the trade is too imbalanced. IF Boes has a great year, and IF Skinner pans out then the reciprocity of the trade may not seem as bad as it does now.

Today, Clague for a questionable 20 YEAR OLD goalie and a wildcard future goalie just does not pass the smell test. That McCrimmon (sp) is the best damn trader in the Dub.

moon
05-02-2013, 07:38 PM
that one player would make that much differance down the road, or i would make more sence to trade our 2nd and 3rd pick next year for a one year goalie we gave up the number one dman for the number one goalie.....like i said big deal...............

No I don't think that one player will make that big a difference which is why it seems odd to trade for a 20 year old mediocre-bad goalie and as much worse player at 17.

Number 1 goalie by default not based on stellar play.

here for the long run
05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I think the trade is too imbalanced. IF Boes has a great year, and IF Skinner pans out then the reciprocity of the trade may not seem as bad as it does now.

Today, Clague for a questionable 20 YEAR OLD goalie and a wildcard future goalie just does not pass the smell test. That McCrimmon (sp) is the best damn trader in the Dub.

Past first pick goalies –
2002 @ # 7 Tri-City Americans - Carey Price
2003 – First goalie taken was a third round bust
2004 @ #14 Vancouver Giants- Tyson Sexsmith
2005 @ #23 Swift Current – Ian Curtis (Bust)
2006 @ #16 Kootenay Ice – Nathan Lieuwan
2007 @ #21 Medicine Hat Tigers – Tyler Bunz
2008 @ #26 Edmonton Oil Kings – Laurent Brossoit
2009 @ #36 Medicine Hat – Dawson Macauley (Bust)
2010 @ #13 Tri-City – Eric Comrie
All first round, first taken goalies since 2002-2008 have been dominate in this league.
We took the top rated tender that had a first round grade with a late b-day. We clearly liked and targeted him. We weren’t going to give a 6th for him so I don’t fault us for moving back regardless of the player at 6th, however I do wish we got more for the 11 spot jump.
Personally, I would have took the top rated dman at 6. Traded back up into the 1st with picks and players (or combo of both). Gave futures for a 20yr old and draft a Euro goalie this spring.
The value we received for the picks in rounds 2-4 looks great and I like that Brad wants to beef up the back end. We got future’s from Sask.
Overall I think it is a solid B plus and I love that we got the top rated tender.

shushu
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
No I don't think that one player will make that big a difference which is why it seems odd to trade for a 20 year old mediocre-bad goalie and as much worse player at 17.

Number 1 goalie by default not based on stellar play.

by your way of thinking all draft pick are a crapshoot so how can you say skinner is worse than clugue.....

shushu
05-03-2013, 12:16 AM
All first round, first taken goalies since 2002-2008 have been dominate in this league.
We took the top rated tender that had a first round grade with a late b-day. We clearly liked and targeted him. We weren’t going to give a 6th for him so I don’t fault us for moving back regardless of the player at 6th, however I do wish we got more for the 11 spot jump.
Personally, I would have took the top rated dman at 6. Traded back up into the 1st with picks and players (or combo of both). Gave futures for a 20yr old and draft a Euro goalie this spring.
The value we received for the picks in rounds 2-4 looks great and I like that Brad wants to beef up the back end. We got future’s from Sask.
Overall I think it is a solid B plus and I love that we got the top rated tender.

plus the fact that we are not that much higher on the food chain then prince george or seattle so maybe certain players would refuse to report......

sbtatter
05-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Papirny was taken 22nd overall by Bdn in 2011...

moon
05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
by your way of thinking all draft pick are a crapshoot so how can you say skinner is worse than clugue.....

I think that higher ranked guys are less of a risk especially top picks.

It is possible that the last guy taken in the draft will end up the best but I don't think it is really worth gambling that is going to be the case when you have a guy that is widely regarded as a top prospect.

If you want to move back to 17 and get something of value, sure. But to move back to 17 get a likely worse player and only get the goalie they did seems like more of the same from an organization that has been run into the ground the last 3 years and doesn't look like they are getting better any time soon.

Derek Sutton
05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
by Robson. If he really completed this deal the day before the draft that is even more dumb then the trade itself. Overage goalies are a dime a dozen,

here for the long run
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
by Robson. If he really completed this deal the day before the draft that is even more dumb then the trade itself. Overage goalies are a dime a dozen,

I would assume the deal gets done the day or week before the draft in principle only. It would likely be contingent on what is there at 6 and Lethbridge would have the final say. It would have been interesting to see if the 6-3 shut down guy in Anderson was the guy available at 6 if the trade would have materialized. Sounds like Brad wants the big shut down d-men type as was the theme in round 3 and 4 (no dman taken listed under 6 feet). If Brad didn’t have the option to back out at the draft it is mistake he will hopefully never make again. Either or I don’t fault this move as I have been asking for a highly ranked goalie to be drafted since Preston took over.

sbtatter
05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Drafting goalies is a nightmare imo. Right now, it appears Lethbridge lost this trade by letting Bdn get the #1 ranked dman in the draft, but we will only really know in 6 years after the goalie and Clague have played their WHL careers. In Boes you are getting an average goalie, who probably needed a change of scenery. I hear he's got a great attitude and will be a positive contributor in the dressing room. I think he will do well in Lethbridge, and it's good for Brandon because we have Papirny and Roberts who need playing time, and Honey is there in case the young guys don't pan out

Derek Sutton
05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Drafting goalies is a nightmare imo. Right now, it appears Lethbridge lost this trade by letting Bdn get the #1 ranked dman in the draft, but we will only really know in 6 years after the goalie and Clague have played their WHL careers. In Boes you are getting an average goalie, who probably needed a change of scenery. I hear he's got a great attitude and will be a positive contributor in the dressing room. I think he will do well in Lethbridge, and it's good for Brandon because we have Papirny and Roberts who need playing time, and Honey is there in case the young guys don't pan out

Because you got two of the top 4 players in the draft. And one of them was for an overage goalie, when our GM should've been tageting a 17-18yr old goalie if he was considering trading out of his spot. And nobody aside from Robson is sold on Skinner, who could well have still been available in the second round given all the talent that was in the draft.

I also like Versteeg ripping the club for letting local talent get away and for trading the pick instead of buliding a talent pool. When the board comes to him to bail the team out, his group may no longer be interested given how things have been run the last few years.

sbtatter
05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Because you got two of the top 4 players in the draft. And one of them was for an overage goalie, when our GM should've been tageting a 17-18yr old goalie if he was considering trading out of his spot. And nobody aside from Robson is sold on Skinner, who could well have still been available in the second round given all the talent that was in the draft.

I also like Versteeg ripping the club for letting local talent get away and for trading the pick instead of buliding a talent pool. When the board comes to him to bail the team out, his group may no longer be interested given how things have been run the last few years.

Bdn got the highest ranked d-man and the #2 forward, so should be good. Looking forward to Steele v Patrick head to head down the years! Leth stole Conrad last year, so don't feel too bad!

canes watcher
05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Lethbridge overpaid for Rimmer but that seems to be ignored. And Boes would have been comparable if not for injury and the pure suckitude of Brandon last year. And Miller's a very good player but a change of scenery is usually best for some local kids. You want to find late-round gems or free agent invites locally, not overdraft one.
Canes want to win right now, not watch Duke, Pilon and Estephan lose eight straight to start the season and THEN pick up an old goalie. The goalies in camp are not ready to start a WHL season.

patsdude114
05-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Could of got Boes just before training camps for a 3rd rd pick, when I heard this deal I thought Brent Parker was acting as GM for the canes for the day but then again I thought & realised even he wasn't that stupid in trading. He did make a lot of questionable trades but never 1 like this.

Your new GM's 1st trade is this one? I'm surprised the board didn't fire him on friday for that stupid move. MJ didn't even pay that much to land a 40goal man in Fiddler

shushu
05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I think that higher ranked guys are less of a risk especially top picks.

It is possible that the last guy taken in the draft will end up the best but I don't think it is really worth gambling that is going to be the case when you have a guy that is widely regarded as a top prospect.

If you want to move back to 17 and get something of value, sure. But to move back to 17 get a likely worse player and only get the goalie they did seems like more of the same from an organization that has been run into the ground the last 3 years and doesn't look like they are getting better any time soon.

skinner was one of the best goalies in the draft, so how did we lower ourselfs to 17th and drafting him...we should call the oil kings and ask if they regret drafting brossiot..the answer will be no, they took a chance on a young talented kid and it payed off...im not saying your wrong but everything in the the draft is a crapshoot, end of story.everyone that thinks this is a mistake can look back on boychuck in the 5th and fesur in the 9th...you make your moves and time will tell............

moon
05-04-2013, 01:22 PM
skinner was one of the best goalies in the draft, so how did we lower ourselfs to 17th and drafting him...we should call the oil kings and ask if they regret drafting brossiot..the answer will be no, they took a chance on a young talented kid and it payed off...im not saying your wrong but everything in the the draft is a crapshoot, end of story.everyone that thinks this is a mistake can look back on boychuck in the 5th and fesur in the 9th...you make your moves and time will tell............

I am not saying drafting Skinner was a problem I am saying we didn't get enough for moving from 6th to 17th.

The Oil Kings drafting Brossoit has 0 to do with this trade. It doesn't make Skinner more or less likely to make it. It doesn't make the 17th pick anymore or less valuable and it doesn't help Boes stop a single puck next year.

Sure guys can come from late draft picks but that shouldn't be the rational for giving away top picks in the draft.

here for the long run
05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I am not saying drafting Skinner was a problem I am saying we didn't get enough for moving from 6th to 17th.

The Oil Kings drafting Brossoit has 0 to do with this trade. It doesn't make Skinner more or less likely to make it. It doesn't make the 17th pick anymore or less valuable and it doesn't help Boes stop a single puck next year.

Sure guys can come from late draft picks but that shouldn't be the rational for giving away top picks in the draft.

I agree I wanted more in return as well. What was the 11 spot move worth? One or two seconds? Boes and a third? What is the correct value?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I am not saying drafting Skinner was a problem I am saying we didn't get enough for moving from 6th to 17th. .

We should have also got a decent 18 year old D-man from Brandon to balance out the trade. Regardless of who picks goalies in the first round or whatever, WE DID NOT GET ENOUGH IN THIS TRADE.

shushu
05-04-2013, 10:56 PM
:)
We should have also got a decent 18 year old D-man from Brandon to balance out the trade. Regardless of who picks goalies in the first round or whatever, WE DID NOT GET ENOUGH IN THIS TRADE!!!!

the only thing i'm saying is it unfair to say when you dont know what was offered, nobody is going to give you a 2nd round pick for droping 11 spots in the 1st round.......time to move on.......:)

patsdude114
05-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Clague would of looked alot better in a Canes jersey then Skinner thats forsure, what good will Skinner be if the skaters upfront cant put the puck in the net. It will be like Price when he was with TC outside of 1 really good season during his final year & they still only played 6 playoff games.

shushu
05-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Clague would of looked alot better in a Canes jersey then Skinner thats forsure, what good will Skinner be if the skaters upfront cant put the puck in the net. It will be like Price when he was with TC outside of 1 really good season during his final year & they still only played 6 playoff games.

the sun crashes into the earth....blah,blah,blah, this is one thing i cant stand about armchair gm's, they are unrealistic and just love to run on at the mouth about what if..lets put it this way if the canes cant put the puck in the net what good is a dman that has the talent of bobby orr....i'l tell you what, NOTHING they are still going to loose...........Ray Bourque in boston is a good comparison....let look at it in the real world the dub has changed, the gm dont hand out frebee's like candy and to think every trade should have 14 2nd round pick attached is stupid to say the least, you get what is on the table and live with it...and ya i know we should have got Ryan Pulock to make up the differance, ya i know.....my next question would be" what color is the sky in your world"..............

moon
05-05-2013, 08:08 AM
:)

the only thing i'm saying is it unfair to say when you dont know what was offered, nobody is going to give you a 2nd round pick for droping 11 spots in the 1st round.......time to move on.......:)

Sure but nobody is forcing you to move that 6th pick either.

If you don't get enough keep the pick.

canes77
05-06-2013, 06:23 AM
This whining from many of you is hilarious... what if Robson had just went ahead and drafted Skinner at #6? If you look at it that way, we got a free #1 goalie for a year in the deal.

Maybe Clague said 'no thanks' to the Canes, maybe Robson saw some flaws in his game... and before you bring up Clague beating Dion Phaneuf's old bantam record... remember that Reners did the same in 2007 and he turned out to be a one dimensional player... Tyler Benson even went 1st overall this year and was 5 goals short of beating Reners record of 61...

Look at Boes when he had a decent team in front of him in 2011-12... he was tied for 3rd in WHL save percentage... ahead of goalies some of you may have heard of in Brossoit, Bartosek, and Lieuwen...

Did you know Brandon once traded away Rimmer to make room for Boes? Boes will be as good as Rimmer was for us. And with a better coaching system in place, playoff hockey will happen

Where is the positive reaction about stealing Tak Anholt in the 2nd round?! The pre-draft rankings (from 8 WHL teams) had him on average at 18th overall... the Canes got him at 30th.

And no comment on Jordan Porter, who is said to be an even faster skater than Jamal Watson...

GO CANES GO

patsdude114
05-06-2013, 06:18 PM
the sun crashes into the earth....blah,blah,blah, this is one thing i cant stand about armchair gm's, they are unrealistic and just love to run on at the mouth about what if..lets put it this way if the canes cant put the puck in the net what good is a dman that has the talent of bobby orr....i'l tell you what, NOTHING they are still going to loose...........Ray Bourque in boston is a good comparison....let look at it in the real world the dub has changed, the gm dont hand out frebee's like candy and to think every trade should have 14 2nd round pick attached is stupid to say the least, you get what is on the table and live with it...and ya i know we should have got Ryan Pulock to make up the differance, ya i know.....my next question would be" what color is the sky in your world"..............

hahaa u guys would of been up in arms had Preston made this trade at the draft but sinces its this new nobody u guys r giving him a break.... 20yr old goalies would of costed 4th round picks just before camp, there is nothing wrong with moving down in the draft but not at the expense of only grabbing a 20yr old goalie.... i guess time will tell how this trade pans out , as of draft day this trade favours the WKs big time.

Derek Sutton
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM
hahaa u guys would of been up in arms had Preston made this trade at the draft but sinces its this new nobody u guys r giving him a break.... 20yr old goalies would of costed 4th round picks just before camp, there is nothing wrong with moving down in the draft but not at the expense of only grabbing a 20yr old goalie.... i guess time will tell how this trade pans out , as of draft day this trade favours the WKs big time.

Looks like there's only two guys defending this deal. Also, Robson has made his own son Head Scout. Three things that could easily backfire, the trade, picking a goalie and the nepotism. Robson better know what he is doing, for his sake, for the teams sake and for the fans sake.

Tiger Trauma
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I think Mcrimmon did a good job getting a good return. Boes wasn't going to be in Brandon next season. Lethbridge could have gotten him for a 5th round pick after the draft most likely.

I don't' hate the deal from a Hurricanes perspective because it helps address their glaring goaltender needs, however I think their were better ways of addressing it.

Goalies can be an even bigger crapshot and if you look at the last few drafts. This year 2 goalies were picked in the first 2 rounds. Last year their were 2 picked as well. Year before that 1, year before that 1.

They could probably still have gotten one of the better goalie prospects in the 2nd round, and kept their #6 pick.

I don't remember the last time Lethbridge developed their own goaltender. Rimmer, Ketlo, Rowat, all brought in. They had Tait and Anderson but were inconsistent. Metsola was the last goalie above .900 save percentage in the euro draft in 08

I think your GM saw your goaltender needs as an issue, which is true, and attempted to address them. However Like i said above probably could have had better returns. IF that goalie pans out though you will look back on this as a very good deal. If he doesn't the trade will look awful.

Boes won't be a savoir but he should at least be steady.

Edit:I want to add that I think its a better deal than getting an overage goaltender for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in a down year.

shushu
05-06-2013, 11:26 PM

have so much room to be calling someone else nobody's, your in the toilet with the rest of us......all i;m saying is give the man a chance, stasiak traded yellowhorn for a first round pick and got burnt big time but won the eastern con. a few years later......i wonder when was the last time regina won anything, i always have a hard time remembering back to 1950..........

shushu
07-10-2013, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=patsdude114;190698]... 20yr old goalies would of costed 4th round picks just before camp, there is nothing wrong with moving down in the draft but not at the expense of only grabbing a 20yr old goalie....
this is what i'm talking about, Kamloops trades cheveklave and a 4th to pa for Kryski and a 7th round pick..Kryski was their 1st round pick (13th o/a) in 2013 draft.. who care about the 4th or 7th but to give up your 1st round pick for a overage goalie tell me the costs are high these days, so much for the 4th round theory.....

here for the long run
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=patsdude114;190698]... 20yr old goalies would of costed 4th round picks just before camp, there is nothing wrong with moving down in the draft but not at the expense of only grabbing a 20yr old goalie....
this is what i'm talking about, Kamloops trades cheveklave and a 4th to pa for Kryski and a 7th round pick..Kryski was their 1st round pick (13th o/a) in 2013 draft.. who care about the 4th or 7th but to give up your 1st round pick for a overage goalie tell me the costs are high these days, so much for the 4th round theory.....

It also shows that teams are realizing you can’t win without a tender. I think all four goalies in the past W final are now drafted in the NHL. Preston’s mistake was not taking a tender with one of his three 2nd round picks in 2010. If Clague and Skinner are playing for the World juniors years from now no one is going to care what we got in the move down.

localguy
07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
There is no one saying Skinner isn't a good pick at 17, and that Boes isn't a good goalie, just that our gm got his ***** handed to him in the return on the trade. Have any of you seen Clague play? I have seen and spoken with people who have seen him play since peewee, he is a lock. Skinner came from a team that dominated up front in their league this year. Both good stuff right? The thing is, Skinner was not even close to the best goalie at the AB cup, I watched most of it. Best goalie in the draft? I hope so. I just would have rather seen Clague chosen by the Canes at 6th, and if he didn't want to report, and you couldn't get a good return on a trade after drafting him, leave him in AAA. All these games these kids play, I won't go here, maybe I'll play NCAA, it's crap. If you want to play in the whl, then play, no player is bigger than the league. I know most kids would give their left one to play a single shift in the league, for any team, so if they choose to not go to one team or another, don't let them play on any. Many of the first round kids, chose their own team, not the other way around. All of them had short lists, and told teams if yo pick me I won't report. Everyone wants to play for a winner, that's obvious, but it's supposed to be about making the team that chooses you a winner, not the other way around.

canes watcher
07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague. If Canes kept the pick, he would've been gone by 6. Doesn't mean it was a good trade, but there are facts missing from your post. Also, Clague was pretty clear about who he would and would not go to. As for leaving him in AAA? THAT would have been a wasted pick.
And yes, Skinner was the best prospect at the AB Cup, not a lot of debate on that. The next AB goalie drafted was the Flames Kyle Dumba in the fourth. Skinner was a reach at 17, but he was the best Alta — and best NHL prospect — goalie in that draft.
"To move up to sixth, the Wheat Kings sent the Lethbridge Hurricanes 20-year old goalie Corbin Boes and the 17th pick, which Brandon had acquired in the trade deadline deal that sent Mike Ferland to Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun

localguy
07-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I am sorry, what in my post left out facts? You said the exact same things i did just in a different fashion. Kids choose where they want to go, and this ow wrong. We live in an entitled world for our youth, and it's sad.

here for the long run
07-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague. If Canes kept the pick, he would've been gone by 6. Doesn't mean it was a good trade, but there are facts missing from your post. Also, Clague was pretty clear about who he would and would not go to. As for leaving him in AAA? THAT would have been a wasted pick.
And yes, Skinner was the best prospect at the AB Cup, not a lot of debate on that. The next AB goalie drafted was the Flames Kyle Dumba in the fourth. Skinner was a reach at 17, but he was the best Alta — and best NHL prospect — goalie in that draft.
"To move up to sixth, the Wheat Kings sent the Lethbridge Hurricanes 20-year old goalie Corbin Boes and the 17th pick, which Brandon had acquired in the trade deadline deal that sent Mike Ferland to Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun

Would Clague have reported to us? How much of a reach was Skinner?
I would have preferred us to keep 6, trade up in the first for Skinner and hope to land a 20yr old after the draft.
From what I hear Tak and Skinner are both highly rated guys (first round talent). So the draft apparently broke well for us. (Tak could have been a top 10-15 pick?)
I am happy we finally addressed the goalie position and annoyed going into each season having to give up picks to address our goaltending position. Hopefully this is the last offseason we have to.

patsdude114
07-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Would Clague have reported to us?

Clague was fully committed to the WHL that's where him and his parents want him, so reporting wouldn't of been an issue.

I hope Skinner pans out for you guys, he will still be 3yrs away from making any sort of impact at all in the WHL, goalies rarely have an impact on there teams until they are at least 18yrs old. Which is a big reason why a lot of teams in both the CHL & NHL are not risking high 1st round picks on goalies anymore.

Goalies take a lot longer to develop and a lot turn into late bloomers

Derek Sutton
07-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Clague was fully committed to the WHL that's where him and his parents want him, so reporting wouldn't of been an issue.

I hope Skinner pans out for you guys, he will still be 3yrs away from making any sort of impact at all in the WHL, goalies rarely have an impact on there teams until they are at least 18yrs old. Which is a big reason why a lot of teams in both the CHL & NHL are not risking high 1st round picks on goalies anymore.

Goalies take a lot longer to develop and a lot turn into late bloomers

Committing to the WHL is A LOT different then reporting to the Hurricanes, who do not have a very good reputation for developing players.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
This whining from many of you is hilarious... what if Robson had just went ahead and drafted Skinner at #6? If you look at it that way, we got a free #1 goalie for a year in the deal. GO

You make a valid point. Maybe Skinner was as good a pick at #6 as any body else would have been. So if the Canes just selected Skinner at #6, a few questions may have been asked, but probably not the **** storm we are getting now.

This in no way indicates my feelings about this trade but it makes sense. You get the guy (Skinner) that you wanted anyway and get a pretty decent 20 year goalie for free so to speak. This has to be how Robson sees this trade/pick go down.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague.

"The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun

From the certainty of your post, I can only assume you have INSIDE information. Do you have those kind of connections, or are you just expressing your opinion? I am not asking you to divulge your sources, but please give us the facts about your connections.

As for your post, you say the Wheat Kings made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague, plus made a trade with the Pats to leave Patrick alone. The Wheaties trade with the Pats to not take Patrick is fairly well known. No argument there. Where do you get the "Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague" info from? Nothing I have seen suggests that this is what transpired.

localguy
07-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I have yet to see you offer any actual facts to refute what I posted. You shouldn't throw around accusations if you can't back them up. I also know for a fact, that the Canes didn't even speak to Clague during their interview period, and he had no issues with reporting to the team. How can any expectations be different when the first ting our gm does is hire his son to be the director of scouting? I hope that the coaching changes are good ones, and that translates to a .500 season. At this point, I think that is a farily low one. I think the second round of playoffs minimum is where we should be, finnishing somwhere betwenn 5-7 overall. Time will tell.

shushu
08-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I have yet to see you offer any actual facts to refute what I posted. You shouldn't throw around accusations if you can't back them up. I also know for a fact, that the Canes didn't even speak to Clague during their interview period, and he had no issues with reporting to the team. How can any expectations be different when the first ting our gm does is hire his son to be the director of scouting? I hope that the coaching changes are good ones, and that translates to a .500 season. At this point, I think that is a farily low one. I think the second round of playoffs minimum is where we should be, finnishing somwhere betwenn 5-7 overall. Time will tell.

people can be this dim, canewatcher states what he believe to be true as we all do, then you turn around and spew you non-sense about " I know for a fact " without listing where or who this fact comes from...your meaningless rambling speak volumes about the lack of grey matter up stairs...

localguy
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
people can be this dim, canewatcher states what he believe to be true as we all do, then you turn around and spew you non-sense about " I know for a fact " without listing where or who this fact comes from...your meaningless rambling speak volumes about the lack of grey matter up stairs...

No one asked oh wise genius of the whiteboard. The source was his parents. Just ask, I don't post random ramblings, in fact I don't even post that much, but I do only post what I know to be true. Not everyone on here posts only what they speculate to be true, some people actually have information that is accurate, not a guess. He told me to get my facts right, not the other way around, then presented nothing to disprove my post. I don't claim to be a know it all, but I also don't accuse people of being mis-informed with nothing to back it up. If you are calling me stupid ergo lack of grey matter, I don' appreciate personal insults, nor should i be the recipient on here for posting. Better do an IQ check on yourself before you start hurling around "what you believe" to be true.

doc64
08-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Your facts in any way localguy, but I wouldn't expect the parents to tell anyone that their kid wasnt going to report to any team. That would be branding the kid and definitely not helping him out. Whether he would or wouldn't have, for whatever reason, Robson made his choice. Time will tell how it works out for him.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
08-06-2013, 04:52 PM
The 2 simple questions I would like all of you to respond to are these:

What are the odds the Canes make the playoffs this year?
My bet is 80/20 YES.

What 3 players will be most responsible for the Canes making the playoffs?

#1 Corbin Boes
#2 Jaimen Yakubowski
#3 Reid Duke

Boes and Yakubowski are kind of a no brainer. Boes needs to have a save percentage of at least .910 or better and Yak has to score 44 goals or more. As for Duke being my 3rd choice, I don't expect him to be the 3rd best player on the team. Maxwell, Mckechnie, Ramsay and 1 or 2 D-men will probably actually be better than Duke. What I am thinking is Duke could be the player that makes this a playoff off year or not. He could fade away like Merkley, but if he has a 25 goals and 30 assist season, we make the playoffs.

canes77
08-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Duke may end up as the Canes #1 Center this year (no offence to the great Maxwell). Preston placed no importance on skill and Duke was the only player who could regularly beat d-men 1 on 1. As a 16 year old, that is a rare asset to have on any WHL team.

Once he gets more ice time this fall, I think he will be our top forward. The disappointment and motivation from being cut from the U18 team, along with two new/eager coaches will make him (and every other player) much better. Plus it's his draft year so I expect big things.

Only a few more weeks until training camp!!

moon
08-07-2013, 08:33 AM
The 2 simple questions I would like all of you to respond to are these:

What are the odds the Canes make the playoffs this year?
My bet is 80/20 YES.

What 3 players will be most responsible for the Canes making the playoffs?

I would say 90/10 NO.

Always a chance since so many teams make it and you don;t have to be good to make it just not quite as bad as a few others but the team lacks talent, looks like it replaced one bad coach with another and the replaced one clueless GM with an equally clueless dope.

Not many (any) reasons to think that they make the play-offs this year or any time in the near future.

If they do make it Boes or one of the other goalies will have to improve tenfold and play way above what they have shown so far.

Some forward will have to similarly play about 10x what they have shown so far as they are a very unimpressive group.

Pilon has to step up huge and take a big leap in his game as he appears to be the only defenseman that is better than the average run of the mill WHL 4/5/6 guy.