PDA

View Full Version : Draft day

RWAH
05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Pats pick 2nd and take Steel I am happy will get to watch a pure scorer for a few years
others as expected MJ takes Howden and BRN takes Patrich

RWAH
05-02-2013, 09:05 AM
If we get Skinner (Goel tender) in the 2nd round . And with the 4th round picks get som size and toughness we could be very successful in 3 years

RWAH
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Brandon trades with Lethbridge for th 6th pick and gets Clague. KM is winning this draft so far. He has 2 of the top 5 players.

RWAH
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Last in the east div. PA picks Jake Kryski from Vancouver

Worth noting Jared Legein was picked 9th pver all by Kootnay

RWAH
05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Pats 2nd round pick is Liam Schioler from Manitoba 6 ft. 1 in. 170 lb D-man. Wonder if he is a brother to Dane

RWAH
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Pats 2nd round pick is Liam Schioler from Manitoba 6 ft. 1 in. 170 lb D-man. Wonder if he is a brother to Dane

Saskatoon first pick 41 overall is Nolan reid from Deer Valley a 5 ft 9.5 in. and 150 lb D-Man

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Still very happy we took Steel, i really didnt want us to take Clague with the #2 pick.

Any word on what Brandon gave up to Lethbridge for there pick?

Bepoleon
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Bows ad Brandon's 17th overall pick. Pats picked up Brandon's third round oick and Geordie Macguire. Don't know what we sent.

witness
05-02-2013, 11:10 AM
deals being made now.
The Pts just traded away their 68th pick to Calgary

the Brandon deal will involve an active roster player

RWAH
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Fourth round; looks like we traded the PG pick that we got with the Marinshin trade so now we have 2 picks this round

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Bows ad Brandon's 17th overall pick. Pats picked up Brandon's third round oick and Geordie Macguire. Don't know what we sent.

really? they took a 20yr old goalie & move down 12 picks? no wonder why lethbridge fans are sick of there franchise being run into the ground, i dont even think Parker would of been that stupid to make that deal

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
really like that Luc Smith we selected in the 3rd round... the kid is 6'3 180

Does Maguire really bring anything to our team though? or just another body for competition in camp?

RWAH
05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
the 4th round and pick 2 D-Men and one is only 5 ft 9in. and 160 lbs. Hope he has a growth spirt next year.

Trav
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Accoriding to the Wheat Kings website, the deal u guys made with them was Maguire and the third round pick for draft day considerations so I'm guessing the Wheat Kings have a list of players they can pick a guy from but maybe their going to talk to that player first? Interesting how they list it as draft day considerations. Don't see that to often.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Sam Steel C 52g 52a in 31gp 16pim 5'10 155lbs

Liam Schioler LD 11g 21a 48pim 6'1 170lbs

Luc Smith C 24g 19a 29gp 99 pim 6'3 180lbs

Brady Pouteau LD 2g 6a 12pim in 12gp 6'1 170lbs

Jared Freadrich RD 6g 23a 82pim 31gp 5'9 160lbs

our picks up til the 4th round, so far from stats alone looks like there is some potential with our selections.

I really like the size of that Smith kid, putting up 43pts in 29gp with his size should add some strength down the middle for us.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Jared Freadrich RD 5'9 160lbs
6g 23a 82pim 31gp

interesting stat involving Freadrich.....

he played on the Camrose Vikings & they went 1-28-4 & Freadrich lead the team in points.

Bighat
05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I wander if he is related to Kyle if so there maybe a growth spurt. We get McGuire for not drafting Patrick interesting.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Not sure the terms in this mcGuire & 3rd rd pick not sure what the draft day considerations really means but I guess we will find out maybe later tonite.

Wouldn't be a bad swing if it was just not to select Patrick as no way in hell would PG have taken a chance on him where we may of just took that chance.

I'm happy with Steel, actually happy with our top 5 picks (in the 1st 4 rounds) looks like everyone has some upside to them. That Smith kid I think will be a surprise & prob should of gone in the 2nd rd just due to his size alone. If he continues to grow (which he will as he is 15) he could end up about 6'5 close to 200 by the time he is 16 & ready for the WHL, definately will be that come age 17

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I dont understand this trade at all..... do we not still have Beukeboom's rights who is also a '94 to go along with Sacher?? why pick up another '94 goalie when we already have 2 on our 50 PL...... Or is Lang setting himself up to move Tanner Burgardt who is a '95 & would be able to bring back abit better of a return in a move.

That's my only thinking with this trade is Lang has something cooking for Burgardt to bring in a skater of some sorts. It makes the most sense if this is the case. MacAuley could be Sacher's backup this year & push him along the way.

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats have completed a trade with the Calgary Hitmen, acquiring goaltender Dawson MacAuley (‘94) in return for one of the Pats’ fourth round picks, 68th overall.

MacAuley led the Yorkton Terriers to an SJHL Championship this season as a co-playoff MVP for Yorkton. The Prince Albert, SK product held a 16-6-1 record during the regular season while posting a 2.14 GAA and 0.921 Sv%. In the SJHL Playoffs, the 6’6”, 210 lbs goaltender was nearly unbeatable with a 1.94 GAA and a 0.932 Sv%.

MacAuley is with the Terriers in Nanaimo, B.C. this week competing in the 2013 Western Canada Cup where Yorkton has a 2-1 record in the round robin with MacAuley featuring a 0.940 Sv%.

The Pats next selection will be in the fourth round, 79th overall.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
6th round Jacob Elmer RW AB CUP 5gp 4g0a (couldnt find any other stats on him from his Bantam team)

7th round Kurtis Chapman G 8-5-3 .930SV% 2.58GAA 1SO

8th round Brady Third RW 9g11a 10pim 28gp

9th round pick.... from the auto updated from the WHL site looks like we passed on the pick or its not working properly

RWAH
05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I like the MacAuley trade we get a big goalie that will challange for the starter. Saw him play once and reminded me of McVicars that played with Brandon

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 05:41 PM
The kid put up solid numbers forsure but let's also remember that there is a huge difference in Jr A shooters compared to the WHL level in shooters. Beukeboom put up solid numbers as well in Jr A this past year but just played on a much weaker team.

I'm all for competion come camp time but the age group just doesn't make sense & the fact that the guy couldn't crack the Hitmen's roster as a backup says a lot as well.

Draft day in the books & looking from what the Pats did I am very happy with what they selected. Steel also plays LW which may be a better spot for him as a 16yr old especially with Luc Smith being a big 6'3 centerman. Can't wait to see these guys in the Pats summer camp before training camp. See the last 2 draft classes together on the ice to really see what we will have as they mature into WHL seasoned veterns in a few years time :)

Is there anyone excited about any other picks we made besides the obvious pick of Steel? For me it has to be Smith who really intrigues me a lot.

I heard the Giants are going to try to get Benson to be the 1st ever WHLer to get the "exceptational status" with some scouts saying Steel has that same potential to put up the numbers Benson did but Steel played on a much weaker team, could the Pats maybe seek the same?

I doubt the WHL grants this status to the Giants but it would be nice to see some 15yr olds in our league who have exceptional talent.

Western Elite
05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Average to below average draft the Pats had.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Guess its hard to tell if it was a really good, good, avg, below avg or bad since the draft just happened & they r all 2yrs away & realistic 3 to 4 yrs away from really making an impact.

How's ur brother doing anyways? (Not that I care total sarcasm)

Bighat
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Getting steel puts the pats draft above avg on his pick alone. Come on he's going to be a game changer.

dsquared
05-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Can somebody please provide a link for the entire WHL 2013 draft? In the past the league has had the results front and centre as the draft progressed on draft day

thanks

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 08:48 PM
They did again today as well, I'm only on my phone so can't view there site too well when I get home ill find it unless someone else finds it for u by then

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-02-2013, 09:07 PM

well its a good thing you dont know too much, pirate.

----------

I think the fact we got a promising young roster player, along with a third(took a powerforward)...only for saying 'we wont pick this player who doesnt want to play for us', means we did OK. Not to mention we got one of the big fish.

And of course its quite early to say how things will really go with some other picks...but much of what we did sounds reasonable. The Pats have a knack for picking up diamonds in the rough.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Can somebody please provide a link for the entire WHL 2013 draft? In the past the league has had the results front and centre as the draft progressed on draft day

thanks

here u go dsquared

http://www.whl.ca/draft/fullDraft

Bighat
05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Scholier was rated in the first round as well and we landed him. Top 3 picks are gems.

RWAH
05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Don't have a link but (Small Thoughts at Large) have each round and all the player stats from the 2012/13 season, IMO its the best site.

I think Brandon won the first round, they gave up a 20 year old goalie an 18 year old forward and a 3rd round pick and got both Patrick and Clague, the top D-Man and a top 3 forward. I don't know about the rest of the draft for Brandon.

We got a player in Steel, that if he plays his 20 year old season here he may break Derkatch records. the two trades could have a lot of upside. MacAuley brings size and a lot of playoff experience and McGuire (that may be wrong name) forward from Brandon, if he can show the scoring touch he won the scoring race in midget. We do need scoring.

I was surprised at the 4th round that we picked a 5 ft 9 in (WHL has that size) D-Man The pat webb site has him 5 ft 10 in.

lastly why did we pass from the 9th round as I note Seattle picked Caleb Griffin from Regina in the later rounds. Must be a space on the PL thing.

With the drafts we have had the last three years this one is miles ahead of them. As noted by other posters only time will tell if it was good better best.

patsdude114
05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
With the drafts we have had the last three years this one is miles ahead of them. As noted by other posters only time will tell if it was good better best.

Not sure last years draft is really hard to beat as we could very well have 6 legit 16yr olds making the roster (if the league allows it & if we really want to be that young) Reagan, Cole, Kallis, Wagner, Zimmer & Fulton from all reports are ready to make the jump, not many teams can say there top 6 picks will all have a legit shot at making a roster.

This year yes we got high end talent with Steel which will be a building block with Reagan for this franchise to move forward. Its finally nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel for this franchise, its been way to damn long since we have had consecutive seasons where we have been a top team in our division & conference. Teams like MJ, BRN, SAS, CGY, EDM, RD, MH can all say this, its time for REG to be part of this list & it looks like it very well could happen in a few seasons. THANK GOD!

If our coaching staff can build on how they were letting the team play in the final about 12 games of the year with a more offensive approach & actually let these kids try to create plays (instead of playing like robots of how Conacher used to play the game in the NHL cuz he lacked skill) i think this team can move forward & become an entertaining choice for people to come out & enjoy some hockey. I miss the days when we have had a top team in our division (which hasnt happened too much since 2000) & seeing the Brandt Center with 5000+ on a nightly basis.

Trevor
05-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Don't have a link but (Small Thoughts at Large) have each round and all the player stats from the 2012/13 season, IMO its the best site.

I think Brandon won the first round, they gave up a 20 year old goalie an 18 year old forward and a 3rd round pick and got both Patrick and Clague, the top D-Man and a top 3 forward. I don't know about the rest of the draft for Brandon.

If the draft day considerations do in fact turn out to be "we won't draft Patrick" then that sounds fishy to me, and I honestly didn't know that was allowed.

A lot of it depends on who will come to Brandon, but KM won draft day. He managed to get one of the top 3 forwards and the top rated dman in the draft. Also he grabbed the top 2 rated American players in Ryan Lindgren and Joey Anderson, but it could be a stretch to get either to come to Brandon. Both were late round picks though, so low risk, potential high reward. The Lindgren kid supposedly would've been a shoe in for the top ten if he hadn't committed to NCAA, as per Bruce Lubke. Also picked up Dylan Theissen when he fell to the 5th, should've been long gone by then. He led the Winnipeg bantam league last season finishing ahead of Patrick.

TheMysteryMan
05-04-2013, 02:30 AM
I see you are blowin Brandon's horn but look at the draft... Most teams are happy. The reason being it was a deep draft. The reason guys fell to you in the fifth round is because other teams thought guys were better. In a deep draft guys fall and especially in a bantam draft. Being on a Regina page I think the pats did just as well as Brandon and got a the best player out of the two teams Brandon got two very good players tho. Both teams filled needs. As a Moose Jaw fan there was no surprises. They made a fantastic deal I believe and already have a lot of young guys that can come in. As in any draft it is the later picks that help make a team. The more guys you can get late and step into your lineup the better your draft looks. So it is hard to tell but in a couple of years we will know!

Trevor
05-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I see you are blowin Brandon's horn but look at the draft... Most teams are happy. The reason being it was a deep draft. The reason guys fell to you in the fifth round is because other teams thought guys were better. In a deep draft guys fall and especially in a bantam draft. Being on a Regina page I think the pats did just as well as Brandon and got a the best player out of the two teams Brandon got two very good players tho. Both teams filled needs. As a Moose Jaw fan there was no surprises. They made a fantastic deal I believe and already have a lot of young guys that can come in. As in any draft it is the later picks that help make a team. The more guys you can get late and step into your lineup the better your draft looks. So it is hard to tell but in a couple of years we will know!

No team is going to walk away from the draft and think "boy we messed that up." I'm sure every team and their fan base is happy with what they did on Thursday.

As for Steele vs Patrick that's completely up in the air and won't fully be settled for 5-6 years. If the draft day considerations are what they're rumoured to be it sets up an interesting parallel to their WHL careers though!!

The bantam draft is more or less a crap shoot, it is pretty hard to speculate where a 14 year old kid will be in 2 years on so many different levels, and I know I'm not alone in thinking the dub should follow suit of the O & Q and draft push the draft back a year.

patsdude114
05-04-2013, 11:13 AM
So what did the OHL & QMJHL do for there draft then the year they said there moving the age up a year ? Did they just have a smaller draft with the left over players from the following years draft? Or just cancel the event all together? If they cancelled it ws there some sort of a percentage lottery to determine the order since if the previous yrs draft was cancelled the teams who missed the playoffs who would of gotten a top 5 to 8 pick would of been hosed big time if they went on to make the playoffs the next season when the draft was back.

I'm all for moving our draft to select kids 1yr older so they can step in at the next training camp & actually have a great chance at making the roster.

mjw22
05-04-2013, 07:40 PM

lol what a clown how did Saskatoon do with only 3 picks in the first 5 rounds. Great trade off for that oh so quick first round exit. MC will be the next great failure in a long list for Blade fans and I will enjoy it in person. Say hi to your brother :D:D:D Congats to Lang on a good draft.

Trevor
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
So what did the OHL & QMJHL do for there draft then the year they said there moving the age up a year ? Did they just have a smaller draft with the left over players from the following years draft? Or just cancel the event all together? If they cancelled it ws there some sort of a percentage lottery to determine the order since if the previous yrs draft was cancelled the teams who missed the playoffs who would of gotten a top 5 to 8 pick would of been hosed big time if they went on to make the playoffs the next season when the draft was back.

I'm all for moving our draft to select kids 1yr older so they can step in at the next training camp & actually have a great chance at making the roster.

No clue what the other leagues did, and I've been wondering how the dub could deal with that issue. I honestly don't know the history of it, maybe the O & Q have always drafted 15 year olds??

patsdude114
05-06-2013, 05:54 PM
No clue what the other leagues did, and I've been wondering how the dub could deal with that issue. I honestly don't know the history of it, maybe the O & Q have always drafted 15 year olds??

i dont think they have always drafted 15yr olds cuz then there would be no need for the exceptional status

TheMysteryMan
05-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Exceptional status is when they draft the kid at 14 and he plays at 15 so yes it is needed. The kid with exceptional status is playing in the CHL before any other kid with his birth year is drafted. For example: Connor mcdavid should have just been drafted into the OHL last month but he already has a season under his belt. For a kid in the WHL to get exceptional status he would be drafted with everybody else his age and it wouldn't affect the draft. It would just allow him to play right away and not have to wait a year like everybody else.

patsdude114
05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Haha I don't think ur following along in the convo, no one asked what exceptional status is we were taalking about how the ohl & qmjhl now draft kids a year older then what the whl does, which sounds like it is something new for those leagues cuz there would be no need for the exceptiional status anymore if there drafting players a year older now as they r now allowed to play right away.

TheMysteryMan
05-07-2013, 11:07 PM
The reason kids get exceptional status is because they are supposed to be drafted when they are 15 in those leagues... Exceptional status allows them to be drafted after their 14 year old season and play when they are 15. I'm not sure you get the point of it haha WHL kids get drafted after their 14 year old season and that's why we don't see it in this league.

patsdude114
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
ok well thanks for clearing that up